Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Would you buy a novel series set in the Crown Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
For thousands of years the history of Faerun has been shaped by the ancient Crown Wars of the Elves. Would you buy a multi-volume novel series of the history of the Crown Wars?

Choices:

Yes, but only in hardback.
Yes, but only in paperback.
No, the elves don''t interest me.
No, I have stopped buying Wizards of the Coast products.

(Anonymous Vote)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 19 Oct 2008 19:15:01

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would purchase a series on the Crown Wars in either hard or paper back....and I think it would sell like hotcakes either way.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd buy the whole shebang in hardbound, whether. I learned my lesson from looking at the wear and tear on my WotSQ books. The only one that doesn't have huge creases and dogears is the last one :P

On the other hand I'd really like to write it myself, so... :/

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  20:25:43  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...In any form.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, of course.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  22:03:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few months, heck, even a few weeks ago I would have said "Yes, provided Elaine Cunningham has a hand in it," but now, it's a big "No: I'm done with WotC and the Realms."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  22:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I didn't include "any format" because I didn't want to encourage Hasbro to spread publication of these out for years and years if they ever had the sense to do it. (I'm still waiting for the last Erevis Cale book, which was supposed to be released in March 2008!) In a dual format the hardback will be released with a two to four month delay (at least) for the paperback; Hasbro is too slow for my taste already -- I want to know the format first and then plunk down my money for it. I already have several "sets" of books which are a mish-mash of formats and editions; I'd like a bit of consistency for a Crown Wars series.

If there is to ever be an FR movie, the Crown Wars are a good choice for a setting, in my opinion. If nothing else, when Realms.New.Coke collapses, Hasbro can fall back on the old "Arcane Age" concept and release FR materials for the Crown Wars (or the struggle for Athalantar or Shanatar or whatever) which have settings and characters who are recognizable to fans and which require no tampering with long-extant Realmslore -- Mongoose did just that with Glorantha: they went back to the Second Age and left all Third Age lore intact and undefiled.

Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  00:13:36  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is a FR book and it's in either paperback or hardback, I'll be buying it.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  00:42:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd buy it, but the hardback/paperback question depends on the author. Elaine? Hardback. Just about anyone else? Paperback.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  01:48:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd buy it, but the hardback/paperback question depends on the author. Elaine? Hardback. Just about anyone else? Paperback.

Ditto!

Only I'd add Ed and/or Steven as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  02:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I would purchase a series on the Crown Wars in either hard or paper back...

Same here. I prefer paperback, so I checked that one.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  08:46:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Set in the crown wars? I'd jump over it like it was Megan Fox.

(Not that I would REALLY jump over her. I'm on the wrong continent for starters, and I'm not interested in going to prison)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 20 Oct 2008 08:47:30
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  14:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I'd buy the whole shebang in hardbound, whether. I learned my lesson from looking at the wear and tear on my WotSQ books. The only one that doesn't have huge creases and dogears is the last one :P

Isnt that part of the appeal of those books? Every bit wear and tear shown on them is a sign of love for the books.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
If there is to ever be an FR movie, the Crown Wars are a good choice for a setting, in my opinion.

I would disagree with you there. The Crown Wars is probably good only for a flashy and big-budgeted film. After the first few stupid examples we finally have some really good ones (The Gamers and The Gamers: Dorkness Rising). Those arent about big budget and colossal graphic effects, but rather about a good story. I firmly agree with one of the film makers there that a low budget is a blessing, because it forces creativity. You cant really make a war movie with huge battles on a low budget and have it look good. A much better story / book would be Elfshadow, because it has an intriguing detective story, loads of romance, humor and good fighting scenes.

That said I would certainly love novels about ancient times, because they can explain things and add more mysterious tidbits. There are quite a few "named" magic items (even if they arent really powerful) in the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms books and including their stories might give an added depth. Buying such books would require an author I trust though and since the Crown Wars is about elves the choice is limited.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 20 Oct 2008 14:42:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  14:41:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Set in the crown wars? I'd jump over it like it was Megan Fox.

(Not that I would REALLY jump over her. I'm on the wrong continent for starters, and I'm not interested in going to prison)

She's of legal age.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  15:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You darn right I would, no matter what format it first comes out in.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  15:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

Isnt that part of the appeal of those books? Every bit wear and tear shown on them is a sign of love for the books.

It just means they might look more like my battered, abused, missing their jackets hardcover copies of the Hobbit, the Simarillion and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Back to topic, I'd also ask that EC write at least some of it

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  20:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm... I suppose I'd buy it. Elves are beginning to grate on my nerves lately though. WE GET IT! You're hot, live long, get laid a lot, and all sun elves think every other race is inferior, frequently resulting in them acting as evil as any drow.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  22:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

A few months, heck, even a few weeks ago I would have said "Yes, provided Elaine Cunningham has a hand in it," but now, it's a big "No: I'm done with WotC and the Realms."

Come on PDK, don't throw out the baby with the bath water. A novel or series of novels about the Crown Wars written by Elaine would be a great way to vote with your cash for the pre-Spellplague Realms.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Umm... I suppose I'd buy it. Elves are beginning to grate on my nerves lately though. WE GET IT! You're hot, live long, get laid a lot, and all sun elves think every other race is inferior, frequently resulting in them acting as evil as any drow.

That's what I like about the Crown Wars: the sun elves started them and "everyone" knows that they were at fault. So who was punished? The drow, who resisted the brutal imperialism of the sun elves - nothing feeds one's ego quite like a divine endorsement to punish the victims of your crimes! (Nasty elvsesess ... we hates' em, don't we, Precious?)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:57:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but I'd enjoy it more if it was an Ed/Steven joint effort. What an awesome thought ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  21:34:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I would not want such a novel published, because I am of the opinion that such ancient history should largely stay in "mythical" territory. In my own work, I largely skirt creating and/or elaborating on major details in the Crown Wars, such as specific battles, or specific individuals, or whatever else, because, in doing so, the mythical status of said events are lessened, to a degree.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Magister Sunstrider
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  01:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Magister Sunstrider's Homepage Send Magister Sunstrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the disaster of 4E, I would have bought them sight-unseen regardless of who wrote them. Given what has happened with 4E and the Forgotten Realms, I would now wait for more information/reviews before considering where or not to be spending any money on this product. WotC has damaged themselves so severely in my eyes, I can't think of another reasonable response to their disregard for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  01:48:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Come on PDK, don't throw out the baby with the bath water. A novel or series of novels about the Crown Wars written by Elaine would be a great way to vote with your cash for the pre-Spellplague Realms.

The baby has been thrown already... and far!

The discussion is moot anyways because A) I'm done with the Realms, unless WotC loses them back to Ed; and B) I don't think Elaine is going to write for the Realms ever again.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  02:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Agreed, but that particular scenario seems unlikely to happen anyway. :-/

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Oct 2008 02:42:13
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  09:24:55  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but only in hardback.

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 27 Oct 2008 09:25:42
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:49:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, but I'd enjoy it more if it was an Ed/Steven joint effort. What an awesome thought ...

-- George Krashos

"Faints from fan-gasm at the mere possibility".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  17:02:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. The Crown Wars doesn't interest me. (I want my own button to press in the poll!! )

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  19:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, mate, but it's too late to add another button. However, because I am running the poll and Hasbro is not, I acknowledge your request instead of ignoring it and then asking six months from now if you have a suggestion for a new button!

Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  16:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

That's what I like about the Crown Wars: the sun elves started them and "everyone" knows that they were at fault. So who was punished? The drow, who resisted the brutal imperialism of the sun elves - nothing feeds one's ego quite like a divine endorsement to punish the victims of your crimes! (Nasty elvsesess ... we hates' em, don't we, Precious?)

Sun elves started, thats true. But the reply of the dark elves was even more dreadful. But I think just as many of the illithiri were innocent, not all sun elves were vyshaan-sympathizers.

I would purchase a series on the Crown Wars in either format.

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  17:05:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would buy ANY FR novel/series set before 1386 DR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  21:31:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I voted Hard Cover. Now if the poll would have had a both option Soft/Hard Cover I would have voted for that. Yeah a Series set in the Crown War would be nice, until someone starts nitpicking it about the lore. And we know it would happen. Now who would we want writing said series?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll