Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian Cortijo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  05:37:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

In general, Jakk, any questions that involve specific characters, names, or other information that is not available in print but has been decided upon falls into NDA territory--because the decisions are usually made as part of the design process leading up to an actual product, and all notes turned over to TSR or WotC on that product are covered under the contracts, meaning only WotC has the power to release them.

So, while I can answer questions about how things work in Cormyr, about organizations and locations [usually], anything about a specific character or small group of characters isn't something I can discuss.

Thanks for the clarification on that issue. I believe that Ed has in the past asked the "powers that be" about my following question, but I'm not sure what (if anything) has come of it: What are the chances of an NDA being vacated if an in-house project is cancelled, rather than a license expiry situation as in the case of Ironfang Keep? I'm guessing not good, since they can decide that they are simply "postponing" the project indefinitely.

Okay; enough about NDAs. What can you tell me about the relationships between the Cormyrean noble families? We know from Ed through various sources that they tend to intermarry, and that's what inspired my question. Specifically: Are families with similar names connected by blood more often than not? For example, are the Blacksilver and Silversword families offshoots of the royal Crownsilver, Huntsilver, and Truesilver families (which we know are descended from Jaquor and Tristan Silver)? Or are these similarities of name coincidence or deliberately done for prestige of the younger family? I suspect the answer to be a combination of the three, depending on specific cases.

In case you hadn't figured it out, my two most involved hobbies are D&D in the Realms and genealogical research, and any chance I get to combine the two tends to make me obsess a little... or more. Thanks for putting up with my obsession. I'm guessing that my poll results, while decidedly in favour of the release of the noble genealogy, are not significant enough for WotC to do anything about it yet. I'll have to see what I can do with the scanty information that I have.

Thanks again for any answers you can give me regarding my latest query, and I'll see if I can keep busy with other Realmslore research while I wait for my queries to Ed to be answered. If patience is a virtue, I must not be very virtuous.

[edit]Fixed duplicate noble house name; I must have been tired when I did that. [/edit]

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Nov 2008 07:20:33
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  07:21:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have (sadly) yet another question, again genealogical, this one regarding the bastards of Azoun IV. I almost posted this to Ed's scroll, but I've put enough questions on Ed's plate in the last week or two. The question is in regard to a response THO posted to another scroll regarding said royal bastards, which is quoted in part below the link to the scroll in which the response is found:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11667

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

... And yes, Harpers, War Wizards, AND Highknights watch over all known royal bastards.
There are some Ed hasn't revealed yet, who will surprise many Realms fans when (or, ahem, considering the 4e timeshift, IF) their heritage becomes known.
love,
THO

My question is very basic and general, in keeping with NDA guidelines; of course, if any more specific information is available (i.e., already published), please enlighten me. It's been three years since I read the Cormyr trilogy, and about as long since I've had a look at any of my (pre-3E) Cormyr sourcebooks.

Are Azoun's bastards documented in the previously-discussed Holy Grail of Cormyrean noble bloodlines? A simple "No," "In part," or "Fully" will suffice, but if more information is open for disclosure, I'll happily receive it.

It will be a very sad thing if this lore alluded to by The Hooded One doesn't come out at some point. I've already inquired (above) about the sustainability of NDAs regarding pre-Spellplague lore, but I assume that Ed is still finding out about such things at this point, given how busy he is. With regard to both this query and my previous post, I would hope that WotC does the right thing and cancels all NDAs pertaining to pre-Spellplague projects that will not be completed, and makes this lore available in some form (probably, and preferably, not D&D Insider, given their stated intention to focus that product on the post-Spellplague Realms).

From what has been said elsewhere, I know that if there is an NDA in place, the lore will eventually appear somewhere if plans don't change. I'm thinking that the Spellplague constitutes a change in plans for NDAs on older lore, and this is what inspires my (rather obsessive and manic) concern. I'm going to be quiet now, and try to remain so for a few days... at least on matters of unavailable lore. Thank you again for enduring my inquiries and protestations.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 23 Oct 2008 07:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  16:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Oh, and since you have your own thread now, I figured I'd go ahead and say congrats to Brian for completing the final chapter of Second Darkness for Paizo. I'm really looking forward to that. Sneaky devil.

Thanks! It was one heck of a trial getting that thing done so quickly, but I'm proud of the work, and hope that everyone enjoys it.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  16:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What can you tell me about the relationships between the Cormyrean noble families? We know from Ed through various sources that they tend to intermarry, and that's what inspired my question. Specifically: Are families with similar names connected by blood more often than not? For example, are the Silversword, Blacksilver, and Silversword families offshoots of the royal Crownsilver, Huntsilver, and Truesilver families (which we know are descended from Jaquor and Tristan Silver)? Or are these similarities of name coincidence or deliberately done for prestige of the younger family? I suspect the answer to be a combination of the three, depending on specific cases.
Names of noble houses sometimes (such as in the case of the Crownsilver/Huntsilver/Truesilver houses) indicate common descent, but don't always. There are a *lot* of "silver" houses in Cormyr, but only the Royal Three have a direct connection to the Silver brothers and their daughters.

Houses aren't just named based on their family histories; their means of ennoblement or enrichment also are hinted at by the names of houses. "Silversword" suggests a mercenary house that made much silver in their exploits (as does "Goldsword"), while "Blacksilver" could indicate a talented blacksmith that made a lot of money in his days, or one that supplied good swords to the Crown and so turned his skill with iron into a silver crown. Swordsilver (the family name of Caladnei's father) is not a noble house at all.

I know that Ed would love to reveal the origins of some of the noble houses, and I would, too--and plan to do so as soon as I have the chance.

That's the long-winded way of saying: No, there's no connection of direct descent between the listed houses and the three Silver houses.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2238 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  17:50:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk Come to think of it, George should have his own scroll too, being our resident expert on Impiltur... George? Sage? Any thoughts?

His own scroll? That's aiming WAY too low. I think WotC should put him on retainer, with an official title and a regular paycheck.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  19:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk Come to think of it, George should have his own scroll too, being our resident expert on Impiltur... George? Sage? Any thoughts?

His own scroll? That's aiming WAY too low. I think WotC should put him on retainer, with an official title and a regular paycheck.

Tried that once, long ago, to no avail. Too bad, really, for all concerned.

Now Brian/Garen, apologies for not getting over here sooner to congratulate you on the well-deserved little group by the sea here. Very tidy. Where do you keep your beer?

Seriously, Brian's a great contributor to the Realms and I know I'm glad to count him among my friends and fellow Faerunians.

And just to keep this from being an admiration society, how's this for a posited idea (which may or may not be reacting from long ago conversations with Ed or you or Grant or someone)?

All those "X-silver" families were descended from a group of folks who struck immense wealth by cooperatively finding Cormyr's equivalent to the Comstock Lode? They all built their wealth off of silver ore, even though that vein may have long since been played out. Now, all that's left are the many silver heirlooms and the names. Does that work within your concept of Cormyr society?

Steven
who's still chewing on a number of topics and ideas from our get-togethers at Gen Con this year.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4745 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  23:26:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

I'd be happy to do it for free. As I was getting into the Realms I remember thinking that I would love to have Jeff Grubb's old "FR traffic cop" job.

But given the FR changes in 4E, the position is redundant methinks.

Oh, and I've had something of a re-think regarding having my own scroll. Simply because I realised the other day that it would probably be a good idea to keep better track of my random FR musings as my own archiving of same has been haphazard at best.

That and the fact that I can't let Brian get one up on me as he already trumps me in the good looks stakes.

So 'powers that be', I'd love a scroll thanks. It might get a bit dusty and underutilised, but I'm sure someone will get some use out of it.

-- George Krashos

P.S. Oh, and unlike the rest of the people here, I'm fortunate to be able to ignore the NDA demon better than most. There aren't any NDAs in place regarding material that will appear in my thread - just my random musings and thoughts.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 23 Oct 2008 23:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:53:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So 'powers that be', I'd love a scroll thanks. It might get a bit dusty and underutilised, but I'm sure someone will get some use out of it.

-- George Krashos

Is done.
Questions for George Krashos

I'd been wanting to start a questions thread for someone!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Oct 2008 00:54:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:30:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But given the FR changes in 4E, the position is redundant methinks.
You'll never be redundant George. At least not to me, and never here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  03:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Are Azoun's bastards documented in the previously-discussed Holy Grail of Cormyrean noble bloodlines? A simple "No," "In part," or "Fully" will suffice, but if more information is open for disclosure, I'll happily receive it.
The answer to your question is "not really." The Royal Lineage of Cormyr is concerned with the members of the Blood Royal that are relevant to the passage of the Crown and the history of the Forest Kingdom. Since the bastards of Azoun are fairly numerous, and since they also haven't much affected Cormyr's development, including them would throw the document off its course. The Azoun's Offspring article from 2006 does deal with the recognized bastards of Azoun's youth, but beyond those, there are (unsurprisingly) more illiegitimate sons and daughters of the Old Lion of Cormyr.

There's another reason that these children are not detailed beyond a desire to reveal them in more dramatic fashion: play opportunities. Being able to throw in a charismatic war captain or monastic hero that is a secret (and suddenly-aware) royal bastard is too delicious a possibility to rob DMs of.

Mod Edit: Fixed the link.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Oct 2008 04:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  06:32:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides, Azoun's got enough illegitimate kids to populate a small city.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  16:46:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Besides, Azoun's got enough illegitimate kids to populate a small city.

At least a town the size of Eveningstar, anyway.

Re: disclosure on the offspring: That's what I was thinking, on both counts. As an amateur genalogist, I know that genealogies get complicated enough showing the descendants of two relationships involving the same person... as does Krash, from his work on Impiltur.

Thanks again for the answers, Garen. My pace of question-flinging should slow somewhat now that I'm employed again, so hopefully you'll have a greater variety of answer-seekers to keep this scroll busy.

Edited by - Jakk on 28 Oct 2008 16:49:57
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  16:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Re: disclosure on the offspring: That's what I was thinking, on both counts. As an amateur genalogist, I know that genealogies get complicated enough showing the descendants of two relationships involving the same person... as does Krash, from his work on Impiltur.
Oh, George is well aware of how complicated the Cormyr Lineage is, believe me. He's the one I've bounced all my "Hey, does this solution work?" suggestions to fix various quandaries off. He's got more freedom on Impiltur (thank goodness), both to create and share his creation, and I can't wait to see that masterpiece when it's done.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  17:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks again for the answers, Garen. My pace of question-flinging should slow somewhat now that I'm employed again, so hopefully you'll have a greater variety of answer-seekers to keep this scroll busy.
Don't be silly; I enjoy the questions. They make me feel like someone's listening and I'm not just babbling to myself...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  03:57:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Oh, George is well aware of how complicated the Cormyr Lineage is, believe me. He's the one I've bounced all my "Hey, does this solution work?" suggestions to fix various quandaries off. He's got more freedom on Impiltur (thank goodness), both to create and share his creation, and I can't wait to see that masterpiece when it's done.

You and me both, and a lot of others, I suspect.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  07:45:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Don't be silly; I enjoy the questions. They make me feel like someone's listening and I'm not just babbling to myself...

Okay then, I have another one for you... I was actually drawing up the Obarskyr family tree, as far as is possible with what's available, and I was wondering why the information on the successors of Keldroun is so patchy. Meurthe, Jasl, Kasplara, and Arathra are all described in terms of their relationship to Gorauna, rather than in terms of who their mothers and/or fathers are. Mind you, I'd like to know more about Gorauna herself... she's an odd duck if there ever was one. However, I'm expecting a red alert NDA here, seeing as you couldn't provide any similar information about the Silvers, but I thought I should ask the question anyway in case you could at least tell me *why* the information in the GHotR succession was phrased the way it was. That's all.

Edit: A more general question that you might be better able to help out with: A simple yes-or-no: Are the unnamed siblings of kings named in the Big List? For instance, Tharyann, father of Boldovar the Mad, is described as being the third son and tenth child of Moriann, so he has two older brothers and seven older sisters, not to mention younger siblings, all of whom are unnamed in my sources. Thanks again, for anything you can give me other than "NDA".

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Nov 2008 07:54:07
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  14:07:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Okay then, I have another one for you... I was actually drawing up the Obarskyr family tree, as far as is possible with what's available, and I was wondering why the information on the successors of Keldroun is so patchy. Meurthe, Jasl, Kasplara, and Arathra are all described in terms of their relationship to Gorauna, rather than in terms of who their mothers and/or fathers are.
The time of those rulers is known in Cormyr as the Thronestrife, when Gorauna controlled the Royal House. George determined it would work better describing things from relation to her, rather than from their respectivel parents. More than that,I can't say, other than that it is known whose children and grandchildren (and such) each of those rulers are.
quote:
A more general question that you might be better able to help out with: A simple yes-or-no: Are the unnamed siblings of kings named in the Big List? For instance, Tharyann, father of Boldovar the Mad, is described as being the third son and tenth child of Moriann, so he has two older brothers and seven older sisters, not to mention younger siblings, all of whom are unnamed in my sources. Thanks again, for anything you can give me other than "NDA".
Yes, they are named.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  21:33:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Okay then, I have another one for you... I was actually drawing up the Obarskyr family tree, as far as is possible with what's available, and I was wondering why the information on the successors of Keldroun is so patchy. Meurthe, Jasl, Kasplara, and Arathra are all described in terms of their relationship to Gorauna, rather than in terms of who their mothers and/or fathers are.

The time of those rulers is known in Cormyr as the Thronestrife, when Gorauna controlled the Royal House. George determined it would work better describing things from relation to her, rather than from their respectivel parents. More than that,I can't say, other than that it is known whose children and grandchildren (and such) each of those rulers are.
quote:
A more general question that you might be better able to help out with: A simple yes-or-no: Are the unnamed siblings of kings named in the Big List? For instance, Tharyann, father of Boldovar the Mad, is described as being the third son and tenth child of Moriann, so he has two older brothers and seven older sisters, not to mention younger siblings, all of whom are unnamed in my sources. Thanks again, for anything you can give me other than "NDA".
Yes, they are named.

That was everything I was expecting to learn, if not all I was hoping for. Now, we just need to convince Wizards that the rest of this information is worth making available... the basic stuff, anyway; I don't expect you and Ed to spill the beans on the more interesting specific mysteries like the twice-slain Thatoryl Elian, unless there's no chance of the novel being asked for. Can you tell me whether or not the applicable NDAs are for projects that are being actively worked on, or is that too vague a question to bother answering? I just want to know if the information has a gelugon's chance in Nessus of coming to light.

Edit: I *am* very curious now as to why George decided it would "work better" to describe Gorauna's relations in such a way... but Gorauna herself is an interesting character, so it's understandable in that sense. Of course, now I'm just that much more curious, but I won't do any more fishing. I'm assuming that there is a reason, and that we will learn what that reason is when and if the document is made public. I'm thinking the records have been sealed for 75 years; I believe that's the standard for assassinations of heads of state, correct?

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Nov 2008 21:44:40
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  21:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can you tell me whether or not the applicable NDAs are for projects that are being actively worked on, or is that too vague a question to bother answering? I just want to know if the information has a gelugon's chance in Nessus of coming to light.
The only real answer to this question is "NDA." If it was being "actively worked on," assuming you mean "for the purpose of publication," I wouldn't be allowed to say, and if it's not, it's still under informal NDA by WotC.

I will tell you that the Lineage is always being actively worked on, by which I mean that every piece of information that's released that might possibly affect the core body of knowledge is poured over and reconciled as best as my little mind can manage. Asking about this issue here will, I'm afraid, not bear much fruit; I will continue to work on the Lineage until it is either published or Ed tells me to give it up, neither or which has happened yet.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  21:50:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your patience, Brian. I'll shut up now and let you disseminate *real* Realmslore. Hopefully I can come up with some questions you *can* answer, but as near as I can tell, if it's something I don't know and I'm curious about, it's regarding specific lineages or individuals, and hence under NDA.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  21:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for your patience, Brian. I'll shut up now and let you disseminate *real* Realmslore. Hopefully I can come up with some questions you *can* answer, but as near as I can tell, if it's something I don't know and I'm curious about, it's regarding specific lineages or individuals, and hence under NDA.
Heh!

Frankly, a lot of the stuff related to Cormyr is off-limits because of the Lineage. It's mainly related to the Blood Royal and related families (like the Silver families and its offshoots), though, so I'm pretty free to answer more outlying questions, or to pontificate on matters of descent, inheritance, noble privelege, etc. within the Forest Kingdom.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4745 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  23:48:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorauna is "it" in Cormyr during the Thronestrife period and wove a tangled legitimate and illegitimate Obarskyr line of succession that suited her - as such I thought it fitting that the lineage reflect her absolute power in that period.

Truthfully, the original Grant Christie lineage did it from this perspective and I decided to keep it as is (whilst filling in spots in and around it) out of respect for his hard work. Brian has in turn respected this design decision also.

Mainly I think because he's a heck of a great guy and because he's likely a secret Highknight just waiting to bust out of his "deep cover".

The lineage has gone through some interesting changes and transformations over the last 8 or so years. I've actually seen transcriptions of Ed's original notes and what Grant did to them to get a skeleton lineage in place. He then started adding flesh before passing the torch to me. I focused on giving every monarch some detail (there were several who had no info at all other than birth/death and reign dates) and trolling through the extant Cormyr lore and adding it in as I thought it best fit (ala things like the "Lords Who Sleep").

Brian then totally hijacked the lineage, came up with some absolutely sensational lore on things like Thatoryl Elian and Encharin and made me realise that my Cormyr mojo had now headed to points east. He transitioned into the 'keeper' quite easily, although I do confess that bits of me found it hard to let go and let the young, whipper-snapper do his thing. I'm so very glad my ego let him strut his stuff - his subsequent ideas and design work feel "right" and make me realise that my choices likely wouldn't have.

The lineage is a beautiful thing, and a model for my Impiltur one that is building, increment by increment. The Cormyr lineage will always be the best and brightest however. I hope to see the day it is shared with the fans.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Nov 2008 23:57:15
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  00:55:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>
The lineage has gone through some interesting changes and transformations over the last 8 or so years. I've actually seen transcriptions of Ed's original notes and what Grant did to them to get a skeleton lineage in place. He then started adding flesh before passing the torch to me. I focused on giving every monarch some detail (there were several who had no info at all other than birth/death and reign dates) and trolling through the extant Cormyr lore and adding it in as I thought it best fit (ala things like the "Lords Who Sleep").

Brian then totally hijacked the lineage, came up with some absolutely sensational lore on things like Thatoryl Elian and Encharin and made me realise that my Cormyr mojo had now headed to points east. He transitioned into the 'keeper' quite easily, although I do confess that bits of me found it hard to let go and let the young, whipper-snapper do his thing. I'm so very glad my ego let him strut his stuff - his subsequent ideas and design work feel "right" and make me realise that my choices likely wouldn't have.

The lineage is a beautiful thing, and a model for my Impiltur one that is building, increment by increment. The Cormyr lineage will always be the best and brightest however. I hope to see the day it is shared with the fans.

-- George Krashos

I hope to see that day too, George... but I've learned to keep my hopes and expectations in conflict. My surprises are all pleasant ones that way.

The reconciliation of two different death dates for Thatoryl Elian is another bugbear I've been curious about, but I've already dumped that can of worms in Brian's lap... he deftly caught said worms in a handy NDA created for just that purpose.

However, if there's anything that either of you can tell me about the "Lords Who Sleep" I'm all ears... all I know is that they died during the ghazneth conflict in the Cormyr trilogy (which I read some years ago, and can't recall nearly enough of now).

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  01:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The reconciliation of two different death dates for Thatoryl Elian is another bugbear I've been curious about, but I've already dumped that can of worms in Brian's lap... he deftly caught said worms in a handy NDA created for just that purpose.
So far as I can tell, the lore all points to Thatoryl Elian being slain in -75DR by Andar Obarskyr, elder brother to the famous (and founding) Ondeth.

Was there another date?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  02:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know if Cormyrean naval vessels render passing honours to vessels of any other nations? If so, to whom? Or, if passing honours are standard, to whom are they denied? Pirates, obviously, even if they were to fly a standard of some pirate 'republic'/'kingdom' or other, but is there anyone else?

In other words, is there any nation or city state which comes into contact with Cormyr, but is considered illegitimate by the authorities? Such as, perhaps, Zhentarim vessels or vessels from Westgate or Starmantle.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000