Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian Cortijo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  17:49:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that was a sly way to side-step that last question.

After reading your (fine) article, I have one question - when a group is mixed military and War Wizards, who's in charge?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  17:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, that was a sly way to side-step that last question.

After reading your (fine) article, I have one question - when a group is mixed military and War Wizards, who's in charge?
Officially, the ranking Purple Dragon officer is in charge of the soldiery. Whether he answers to the War Wizard in charge of the attached detail, or the wizard of war answers to him, is entirely dependent on the assignment, standing orders, rank of the commanding Dragon, current situation (is it a military problem? Magical? Is all Hell breaking loose?), attitude of the War Wizard, and a number of other factors.

If it's a standing force, they will know who's in charge (usually the Dragon, but in non-combat situations, War Wizards predominate). If it's thrown together, there can often be lengthy.... debates about whose authority is supreme.

EDIT: I nearly forgot to thank you for your words about the article. So... thanks!

Edited by - Garen Thal on 21 Sep 2012 19:51:40
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  19:28:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Brian,

In Cormyr, how do you envision priests of the various war and battle deities overtly supporting commoners and others carving out a life along its frontier?

I had the idea for a wandering battle priest: someone who walks Cormyr’s borders and provides lessons in the the art and ways of battle, defense of the home and the like, as well as minor blessings and the proper prayers to call on the gods, to out of the way farm families, miners and others who can’t readily depend on the Purple Dragons to protect them, in exchange for food and lodging.

Is this the sort of thing you envision priests of Tempus, Tyr, Helm or Torm doing?

Thanks for your time.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hello Brian,

In Cormyr, how do you envision priests of the various war and battle deities overtly supporting commoners and others carving out a life along its frontier?

I had the idea for a wandering battle priest: someone who walks Cormyr’s borders and provides lessons in the the art and ways of battle, defense of the home and the like, as well as minor blessings and the proper prayers to call on the gods, to out of the way farm families, miners and others who can’t readily depend on the Purple Dragons to protect them, in exchange for food and lodging.

Is this the sort of thing you envision priests of Tempus, Tyr, Helm or Torm doing?

Thanks for your time.
For me, it depends on the size of the settlement we're talking about, as well as the nature of the populace, its proximity to ready defense by a local lord, a Purple Dragon garrison, or a nearby noble seeking the favor of the commoners.

In general, though, absolutely: priests of Tempus, Tyr, Helm, Torm, and the Red Knight (although not Ilmater, in this case, nor Nobanion, among LG deities) working on the fringes of Cormyr would do their best to make sure that each settlement, no matter how small, was prepared for battle, whether that preparation means ready routes for flight, spearheads that can be easily affixed to farming implements (the hafts of rakes and shovels, for instance), bow-work, construction of crude defenses, battle-prayers, or any number of other, small things.

Priests of Tempus would focus on teaching small-unit tactics, fighting in groups rather than running about for glory and death, how to best make use of natural or existing defenses, and bare-handed combat.

Priests of Tyr would focus on disarming foes, assessing threats (particularly the leaders of attacking forces), and the quick binding of felled enemies for transport to the appropriate authorities.

Priests of Helm would focus on establishing ready caches of weapons in a settlement (wooden spears at the least, to be gradually upgraded to iron- or steel-headed ones where possible) and establishing a local militia or watch to keep ready guard.

Priests of Torm would focus on battle-training a few stout lads and older men (as well as any women that volunteered) to serve as champions and defenders, as well as guards if the noncombatants of a settlement needed to flee.

Priests of the Red Knight would focus on learning the local terrain and the resources available to the citizens. As a first priorty, she would draw up plans to create more defenses, in particular ways of forcing attackers into small spaces or central squares, where archers could (from surrounding rooftops) rain arrows down on them.

For smaller or individual settlements, the above-mentioned priests would all focus on making ready at least one weapon per home to keep attackers at bay, basic battle stances and simple guards, and (most importantly) means of escape. In so short a time, the best defense an untrained commoner could muster against a trained or outnumbering foe would serve as a delay at best, but such a delay can mean the difference between an entire family falling to bandits, or just one member of the household. Priests of all these gods are aware of such a sad truth, but they make it part of their duty to share the truth with those they are helping, who (usually) accept it as a grim reality they hope never to face.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  20:02:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the fast response!

Plenty of food for thought here. I'm deriving several encounter-dressing ideas in what you've written, as well as information for the Paladin of Tyr in my campaign in terms of what the priesthood is known to do along Cormyr's frontier.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  19:58:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When was High Horn built?

Do you have a Cormyr timeline, or is there a good one to be found somewhere? I am trying to get an idea of how quickly Cormyr spread from its humble beginnings.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  14:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When was High Horn built?
Construction of High Horn began during the reign of Thargreve the Greater (349-360 DR), and was finished just after his death. It was expanded under Rhigaerd I (953-982 DR) to better guard the western pass into the kingdom.
quote:
Do you have a Cormyr timeline, or is there a good one to be found somewhere? I am trying to get an idea of how quickly Cormyr spread from its humble beginnings.
Do I have one? Of course. I don't, however, have one that I can share, nor can I point to one easily accessible that covers the entire history (or even just the early history) of the realm.

Roughly speaking, Arabel (as a crossroads town, not a fortified city) was already nominally part of Cormyr by 125 DR, and Marsember by 200 DR. Arabel has had its rebellions, over the years, and Marsember has been flatly independent for some periods.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  17:50:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arabel was part of Cormyr before Marsember was? That actually makes no sense to me.

Thanks for your answers - I hadn't anticipated Cormyr spreading so quickly (and then not spreading much at all for a thousand years). Weird... I'll have to rethink some things.

On the other hand, the 'recollections' in the novel Ring of Winter make more sense to me now (because Cormyr was pretty much the same 1200 years ago).

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  18:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Arabel was part of Cormyr before Marsember was? That actually makes no sense to me.
Arabel was officially part of Cormyr first. There are a couple of things to keep in mind about this statement, though:

Arabel was always essentially a Cormyrean settlement; it was a stopover into the Dalelands that grew into a town that grew into a city.

Marsember was a marsh town even before there was a human kingdom of Cormyr. As such, it was more difficult for Cormyr to exert its control over the area, an independent streak that stayed for more than a millenium.

quote:
Thanks for your answers - I hadn't anticipated Cormyr spreading so quickly (and then not spreading much at all for a thousand years). Weird... I'll have to rethink some things.
Cormyr was naturally bounded by two mountain ranges, vastly thicker and more imposing forests, and a sea. Although the (sort of) cities were (sort of) part of the kingdom within two centuries, it took several centuries more to build them up, to tame the wilder corners of the realm, to take real control of the Hullack, keep the goblins out, settle the frontiers in the west and northeast, and really fill out the kingdom. There wasn't any need to expand, and if they had, Cormyr would have found that doing so was not to its benefit; defending the Tunlands and the Stonelands is difficult. Crossing over the Thunder Peaks to defend claims in the western Dalelands (for instance) is madness, on a regular basis.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  02:22:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian,

Would you essentially consider Cormyr an Absolute (Centralized) Monarchy? How would you describe the government of Cormyr with just a very few words?

Thanks!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  11:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
Would you essentially consider Cormyr an Absolute (Centralized) Monarchy? How would you describe the government of Cormyr with just a very few words?
I would describe Cormyr as being somewhere between an absolute monarchy and an administrative monarchy. Certain powers belong to levels lower than the monarch, and while it doesn't always seem that way, there are laws that even the monarch must obey, rights that must be respected by the monarch, and folk who have (certain, very limited) immunities even from the monarch.

Of course, such laws, powers, immunities, and rights can be altered by the reigning monarch, but that they exist at all--and must be formally stripped rather than simply ignored--gives the bureaucracy and nobility beneath the monarch a bit of power.

So definitely a centralized monarchy (all power derived from the Crown), but not necessarily absolute ("I am the state").
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  17:42:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Brian,

In Cormyr’s early and middle years, has a sitting King, Regent or the Mage Royal ever moved to obliterate without chance of exile or imprisonment, an entire noble family? If yes, could you give us the juicy details?

If no, have any of the above ever come close to doing so?

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  22:42:39  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again Brian,

I was wondering if was ever a time when certain of the faiths tolerated in Cormyr were on the outs with a sitting king?

Have the faithful or priests of Torm, Tyr, Mystra or Tyrmora (or others) ever just really screwed up or done something contrary to Crown law or the will of one of Cormyr's kings? If yes, could you tell us a little about the events and if how (if at all) what happened help shape later Crown law?

Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  19:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the long silence. I've been very, very busy.

quote:
In Cormyr’s early and middle years, has a sitting King, Regent or the Mage Royal ever moved to obliterate without chance of exile or imprisonment, an entire noble family? If yes, could you give us the juicy details?
No. See below.
quote:
If no, have any of the above ever come close to doing so?
Not exactly.

Cormyr's monarchs and mages royal are very careful about not raising the ire of the nobility as a whole. There are very few absolute truths about Cormyrean nobility, but those few include:

-They are all, to some degree or other, related to multiple other noble families.
-They are all, to some degree or other, united against perceived excesses of the Crown when it comes to the nobles.

Wiping out an entire family would strike both of those nerves all at once, and any monarch that dared doing so would risk an uprising of all related families and any normally-discontented nobles.

Now, that's not to say that no noble families have ever, by slow attrition of treachery, found the last of their heirs executed by the Crown. This has happened at least twice. But no Obarskyr has ever said, "those Bleths pester me. Slaughter them to the blood."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  20:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was wondering if was ever a time when certain of the faiths tolerated in Cormyr were on the outs with a sitting king?

Have the faithful or priests of Torm, Tyr, Mystra or Tyrmora (or others) ever just really screwed up or done something contrary to Crown law or the will of one of Cormyr's kings? If yes, could you tell us a little about the events and if how (if at all) what happened help shape later Crown law?
Not to my recollection, no.

Conversely, there have been lots of reigns that have drawn the criticism of various faiths (Torm, Helm, and Tyr in particular, but also Chauntea and Tempus). Such disapproval often takes the form of vigils, prayer, and exhortation for action to right the soul of the kingdom. The lack of loyal, dutiful courtiers might see an influx of Torm's faithful (normal citizens, not priests) training their older children in royal histories and court protocol, if they can, or otherwise apprenticing them to scribes and other professionals that might get them Crown service. Likewise for Tempus and soldiers, Helm for guardsmen and Purple Dragon officers, and so forth...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  23:16:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome. That's really cool Brian.

More to think about for me and I appreciate that.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  10:10:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Brian,

While reading the section on Tempus in Faiths & Avatars, I noted that holy days vary from place to place for the preisthood of Tempus, as such are based on the “eves and anniversaries of great battles.”

Over the last century or so, has the resident priesthood of Tempus in Cormyr designated any dates as holy days, based on battles that have taken place in or around Cormyr from 1370 DR to 1479 DR?

My first thoughts would be Azoun IV’s battle with Nalavarra, as well as any of Cormyr’s battles with Sembia between 1439 DR and 1441 DR.

Very curious to see what you think the Tempurans would do.

Thank you.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 22 Jun 2013 10:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  02:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello Brian,

While reading the section on Tempus in Faiths & Avatars, I noted that holy days vary from place to place for the preisthood of Tempus, as such are based on the “eves and anniversaries of great battles.”

Over the last century or so, has the resident priesthood of Tempus in Cormyr designated any dates as holy days, based on battles that have taken place in or around Cormyr from 1370 DR to 1479 DR?

My first thoughts would be Azoun IV’s battle with Nalavarra, as well as any of Cormyr’s battles with Sembia between 1439 DR and 1441 DR.

Very curious to see what you think the Tempurans would do.

Thank you.
Yes.

The major one would be the anniversary of the Dragonfall (11 Mirtul), which commemorates Azoun IV's triumph over the devil dragon, Nalavara. There were some folk who visited shrines of Tempus on the anniversary of Azoun's victory over Gondegal, but this was a local thing outside of Arabel, and not ordered or sanctioned by the church (who took their money anyway), and this has since died out. [It's worth noting here that some church-approved remembrances are lasting, while others are done publicly while there is still a living memory, and then privately by the church once a few generations have passed, and no living humans could remember it.]

The most recent war with Sembia did not have the great battles necessary to receive the notice of Tempus' faithful. The Steel Regent Alusair, however, is well-remembered by the Tempuran clergy of Cormyr, and her birthday (9 Eleint) is like a minor saints' day to them, whereupon warrior women are commemorated, and local lay worshipers will bring their warlike daughters to be consecrated to the deity, if they choose. It was Alusair's Four Day War that kept Sembian swords and coin out of Cormyr for so long (they and Netheril waited until they were quite sure she was dead before making a move on the Forest Kingdom again; Alusair was missing for more than 40 years by the time the war started in 1437, and she would have been more than a hundred), and Tempus' priests view her as the local war hero she is and was.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  05:47:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really great. Thank you Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  19:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's really great. Thank you Brian.
My pleasure. Keep the questions coming!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  21:44:06  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Cortijo,
I have some questions about "private armies" in Cormyr:

1 - What's the maximum allowed size of a noble house armed retinue (how many armed men is any noble allowed to have before the Crown, the Purple Dragons or the War Wizards step in and do something)?

2 - Is the maximum size dependent on the noble house size (a lone noble may have only X armed men while a family of 6 nobles is allowed to have Y)?

3 - Is the maximum size dependent on the noble house properties (a noble house a single villa may have only X armed men while another house with a lot of cultivable land and various estates is allowed to have Y)?

4 - Is the maximum size dependent on where the noble house's properties are (a noble house with lands near Suzail may have only X armed men while a noble house with lands near the Stoneladns is allowed to have Y)?

5 - Do temple militias or armed religious organizations (meaning something more than a handful of paladins and clerics) exist? If yes, are they restricted like noble houses armed forces or in any other way?

6 - (Barely related question) Detachments and/or garrisons of Purple Dragon Knights in particular nasty and unfriendly territories have ever followed the banner of a local charismatic and military savvy lord instead of the orders of the Crown? (Hypothetical scenario where a particularly troublesome and big group of bandits or orcs or goblins is approaching: the Crown orders are to stand by and defend position if attacked and instead the PDKs follow the local lord who is rallying the population and intends to meet the enemy in the field with his armed forces)

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  13:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Greetings Mr. Cortijo,
I have some questions about "private armies" in Cormyr:

1 - What's the maximum allowed size of a noble house armed retinue (how many armed men is any noble allowed to have before the Crown, the Purple Dragons or the War Wizards step in and do something)?

2 - Is the maximum size dependent on the noble house size (a lone noble may have only X armed men while a family of 6 nobles is allowed to have Y)?

3 - Is the maximum size dependent on the noble house properties (a noble house a single villa may have only X armed men while another house with a lot of cultivable land and various estates is allowed to have Y)?

4 - Is the maximum size dependent on where the noble house's properties are (a noble house with lands near Suzail may have only X armed men while a noble house with lands near the Stoneladns is allowed to have Y)?

5 - Do temple militias or armed religious organizations (meaning something more than a handful of paladins and clerics) exist? If yes, are they restricted like noble houses armed forces or in any other way?

6 - (Barely related question) Detachments and/or garrisons of Purple Dragon Knights in particular nasty and unfriendly territories have ever followed the banner of a local charismatic and military savvy lord instead of the orders of the Crown? (Hypothetical scenario where a particularly troublesome and big group of bandits or orcs or goblins is approaching: the Crown orders are to stand by and defend position if attacked and instead the PDKs follow the local lord who is rallying the population and intends to meet the enemy in the field with his armed forces)

Thanks!
Pah! Call me Brian, please.

1. The exact details vary slightly by the age of the house, the rank of the title, and other specifics, but the acceptable size of a noble family's standing household guards (that is, those that work directly for the lord or lady, not as part of a contracted mercenary band or adventuring company) is about 40. Nobles are expected to field more soldiers than this in time of war, and go through great displays of wealth when parading before monarchs.

Note that these numbers discuss permanent, liveried soldiers. Nobles are well within their rights to hire adventurers, or contract mercenary companies, to serve them, and often develop strong relationships with such groups, until certain bands are all but sworn soldiers of the lord or house. The fact that they're hired rather than sworn (owing no fealty to the noble) means that in the end, they answer to the Crown, and can be stripped of their charter/made outlaws, or called into direct service.

2. No. The number of nobles in the house does not matter. Each head-of-house (such as "THE lord Wyvernspur, for example") keeps and commands the household guard.

3. Not exactly. The household guard is meant to defend the primary residence and current location of the noble and his/her immediate family. A noble with many properties might divide this guard among them, setting them as commanders above small mercenary groups or temporary raised guards.

Remember that Cormyr's not a feudal society. Lands aren't divided up among the higher nobles, who are then responsible for their protection. These noble guards are there to guard their nobles.

4. Again, no. But a noble farther from safe areas will have more leeway in how many hired swords he can keep before people start accusing him of something.

5. Temples do have clerics and paladins in their employ, but are not permitted to arm groups of lay worshipers for their defense except in fortified abbeys away from major settlements. In all cases, armed folk in Cormyr are subject to Cormyrean law, which is enforced without regard for the person's religion.

6. Oh, absolutely. All nobles have provisional/equivalent rank in the Purple Dragons. This usually only happens in times of war, with incredibly-respected lords who have military experience, and only when there's dire necessity (i.e. a local hamlet is going to be overrun). Standing orders are always trumped by immediate, desperate need.

These numbers may seem small, but they are intentionally so. Nobles don't have the need or responsibility to guard fiefs against invasion or rebel nobles, and serfs don't live and work on their lands in exchange for protection. The Crown wants no massive armies of soldiery loyal to this or that house, and so will have none.

In practice, some houses (Crownsilver, Truesilver, Illance, Rowanmantle) have much larger retinues, because they a) are older houses, b) are higher ranked than other nobles, c) are well-respected by the hired swords they employ, and d) know how to treat retired officers and knights who seek employment with them.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  15:40:02  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply Brian!

I have some more questions:

1 - Are mercenary companies working legally within Cormyr expected to rally to the country's defense disregarding current contracts in time of war or great danger?

2 - Is there a limit to the maximum number of members of any mercenary company working within Cormyr? If yes, are companies approaching the limit scrutinized, disbanded, exiled or drafted into the Purple Dragon Knights?

3 - Do mercenary companies composed of large percentages of goblinoids or monstrous humanoids exist in Cormyr (not talking about "evil" mercenary companies but about companies made up of reformed or "traitorous" [to their race] goblinoids/monstrous humanoids)?

4 - Are there laws that allow convicts to serve reduced terms of imprisonment if they enlist in the army and serve in dangerous territories and frontier lands? Are there, in the Crown's armies, corps made of convicts or ex-convicts?

Many thanks for your helpfulness!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  15:48:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome questions, Demzer.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  16:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the quick reply Brian!

I have some more questions:

1 - Are mercenary companies working legally within Cormyr expected to rally to the country's defense disregarding current contracts in time of war or great danger?

2 - Is there a limit to the maximum number of members of any mercenary company working within Cormyr? If yes, are companies approaching the limit scrutinized, disbanded, exiled or drafted into the Purple Dragon Knights?

3 - Do mercenary companies composed of large percentages of goblinoids or monstrous humanoids exist in Cormyr (not talking about "evil" mercenary companies but about companies made up of reformed or "traitorous" [to their race] goblinoids/monstrous humanoids)?

4 - Are there laws that allow convicts to serve reduced terms of imprisonment if they enlist in the army and serve in dangerous territories and frontier lands? Are there, in the Crown's armies, corps made of convicts or ex-convicts?

Many thanks for your helpfulness!
You're most welcome! My replies:

1. Absolutely. Companies are expected--but not legally required--to come to Cormyr's defense. In times of extreme war, where even peasantry are taking up arms, the Crown will call companies into service at highly reduced rates. Mercenaries still expect to get paid, but Cormyrean companies are still expected to act like Cormyreans.

2. Mercenary companies have varying standing limits based on what their annual charter allows for; the number is usually less than fifty, and seldom reaches 100 (the most successful and well-known company, the Red Ravens, was about 120 at its standing strength). Companies can take on additional members for contracts that require them, but those must be truly temporary; more than a season, and the Crown assesses heavy penalties (in gold and platinum, not copper and silver) against the company.

Excess members often find themselves as members of other mercenary companies or as soliders in the Purple Dragons, because fighting is what they do. Companies that routinely violate their limits are generally refused a charter for one year, after which they (usually) get their acts together within a season, or break apart into smaller bands.

Remember that in-world, there is no such thing as "purple dragon knights." The army is the Purple Dragons. "Purpl Dragon knight" is a prestige class.

3. Certainly not. Cormyr is a human country, and a mercenary company employing any visible number of goblinkin or other "evil" races simply won't get work. A large proportion of such races is likely to be met as an enemy force by Purple Dragons, no matter what their charter says.

4. Convicts generally serve their sentences in hard labor rather than in prisons, and for shorter terms. A convict can volunteer for the Dragons, but in most cases, the length of a sentence of labor would be less than the useful term of service in the army.

Repeat offenders who show good behavior while in service, however, often do wind up as Dragons, because someone notices that they need the discipline and direction.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  21:28:18  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the answers Brian!

And ops ... yes, i meant the whole army, not just the officers (those with the PrC).

I'll elaborate for a while and then i'll be back with some more questions.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  14:05:47  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And i'm back with more questions:

1 - Are there Human Supremacists organizations in Cormyr?

2 - Is it possible for the second or third son of a minor noble house to embrace the adventurer's life, then form his own mercenary company and operate both in Cormyr and in foreign lands? Or is mercenary trade regarded as "commoners work"? Or maybe since noble houses already have armed retinues their members are forbidden from taking up the role of mercenary captains to avoid the formation of small private armies?

3 - During the Goblin War the fight was mostly on the north-western lands. Is there the possibility to imagine somewhere else in the country a "Middle Earth: War in the North" type scenario that saw local garrisons and nobles in battles as important as those fought by the main army but overshadowed by the fact that the war ended with Azoun IV last battle?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  23:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are there Human Supremacists organizations in Cormyr?
Not exactly. Cormyr is overwhelmingly human already, and humans have a great number of cultural and societal advantages (not least of which is that only humans ever inherit noble titles). Individuals, of course, can and do harbor strong human-only attitudes, but there aren't really any groups or societies that focus on such goals.
quote:
2 - Is it possible for the second or third son of a minor noble house to embrace the adventurer's life, then form his own mercenary company and operate both in Cormyr and in foreign lands? Or is mercenary trade regarded as "commoners work"? Or maybe since noble houses already have armed retinues their members are forbidden from taking up the role of mercenary captains to avoid the formation of small private armies?
It's far more common for nobles to become adventurers (traditional D&D-style characters) than mercenaries (soldiers for hire). The primary reason for this is that being a sellsword is "common" work, but it's also dirty, hard, doesn't pay well, has no glory, and--should the noble ever be in a position to inherit a title--leads to bad reputations.

Most nobles that are sure to be overlooked for inheritance find a way to serve either their family (as a trading factor), or the realm (as courtiers, Purple Dragons, Wizards of War [rare], etc., based on talents), or take up the adventurer's life, taking on missions both in and out of Cormyr.

quote:
During the Goblin War the fight was mostly on the north-western lands. Is there the possibility to imagine somewhere else in the country a "Middle Earth: War in the North" type scenario that saw local garrisons and nobles in battles as important as those fought by the main army but overshadowed by the fact that the war ended with Azoun IV last battle?
Important? Absolutely. "As important," no, because the war wasn't won by the soldiery. There were battles near Arabel, on Jester's Green, even in the King's Forest, and many of these were important to saving a town or keeping open a road, but none of them really had any impact on Azoun's ability to slay Nalavara.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  15:10:07  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers, Brian.

Here are some more questions at which i ask you to answer in the assumption that the city of Shade isn't back in 1372 but in 1375:

1 - What's the status of Cormyr's standing army in early 1373? Roughly how many soldiers and how many War Wizards are available to the Crown?

2 - Are there noble houses particularly troublesome and/or dissatisfied with the Regency in 1373? Can you give any house names?

3 - Is there anywhere a somewhat complete roster of the Blades? Or a list of those that are known to have been in the Blades? Can you give any information on the members in 1373?

Thanks again for your helpfulness!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  18:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the answers, Brian.

Here are some more questions at which i ask you to answer in the assumption that the city of Shade isn't back in 1372 but in 1375:

1 - What's the status of Cormyr's standing army in early 1373? Roughly how many soldiers and how many War Wizards are available to the Crown?

2 - Are there noble houses particularly troublesome and/or dissatisfied with the Regency in 1373? Can you give any house names?

3 - Is there anywhere a somewhat complete roster of the Blades? Or a list of those that are known to have been in the Blades? Can you give any information on the members in 1373?

Thanks again for your helpfulness!

You're quite welcome.

1. The standing strength of the Purple Dragons before the Devil Dragon was around 12,000. This number was soldiers that could be fielded for battle, not wall guards or city watchmen (who are also Purple Dragons, mind you).

Nalavara's war led to a great many deaths, but in the years that followed, the Dragons swelled with new recruits. By the time 1373 or so rolled around, they were actually up in standing strength (approx. 13,000), but with a greater proportion of the soldiery being green or unblooded recruits.

2. Yes. House Illance was particularly uppity, but loyal. House Bleth and the exiled Cormaerils still bore hatred for House Obarskyr, but from far away in Westgate. The Ambershields professed loyalty, but were effectively "neutral" during most of the regency. The Huntsilvers wished to see Azoun ruling in his own right as early as possible.

3. There is no such list. Brace Skatterhawk was one of them, but during her regency, Alusair added newly raised nobles and nobles' sons to the bunch, replacing the old notion of royal hostages with loyal sword-companions.

Basically, any noble-born Cormyrean aged around 20 to 30 could be found among her Blades, so long as he was competent with a sword, riding, ranging, and not-whining.

Beyond that, I would leave the details to Ed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000