Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Post-Spellplague Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eye of Horus-Re
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  20:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I most certainly voted no. I love my Realms the way it is, thank you very much. With Elminsters and Blackstaves and 7 Sisters and MAGIC MISSLES THAT CANT MISS!!!!! Ok Im done now. :) As for the 4e players. Have fun with it if thats what you like, but I love my FR the way it is. To much work from too many people (Most especially Ed) to just say "Thanks, but all that is worthless now"

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  20:19:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No surprises here as I never left the TSR era. I wouldn't DM' it, but then again I couldn't have handled the canon 3ed. Realms either. On the other hand, if I, for some strange reason, should end up as a player and the campaign wanted to use the 4ed. Realms, I wouldn't have any problems with participating. I would be as curious as to how the world was presented by the DM as I would by any other new world.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  21:21:54  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think everybody should experience it. And then, later take opinions.

(Now I can say that I think 3rd edition realm is better... Even so, 4e realm is very good.)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  21:37:59  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

The Shadovar have undergone some changes by becoming Shades and switching their alignment to Shar. The Empire of Netheril of old was neutral in its outlook, I think, and not bound to a single (evil) goddess. On the contrary, Halruaa has every right to claim being the true Empire of Netheril, resembling it much closer than the one (two) city state of New Netheril.
[/quoteare they the same as the shadevari from curse of the shadowmage.according to powers and pantheons they were the 13 lords of shadow and existed before the gods.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

[are they the same as the shadevari from curse of the shadowmage.according to powers and pantheons they were the 13 lords of shadow and existed before the gods.

Nope, those are different. :) Shade is from the Netheril enclave of Shade. Shadevari were from the fight between Shar and Selune, if not earlier.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  22:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be that they took up the name when they converted to Shar.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  23:14:37  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

It could be that they took up the name when they converted to Shar.

Nope, since they are two completely different things, as I said. :)

Plus, Caledan Caldorien has nothing to do with the Shade Enclave and he, at one point, became the new Shadowking of the Shadevari, which took place ten years or so before the Shade Enclave returned to Faerun.

Rereading the history of the Shadowking, it was created by a artifact and formed it's own empire, which was then destroyed. During one battle with yuan-ti, the Shadowking's armies and the yuan-ti's armies created the Fields of the Dead.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Apr 2009 23:32:06
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  08:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but just because you're different doesn't mean you can't use the name yourself.

Like the Sith in starwars, like Darth Vader, have nothing to do with true sith, but they took up the name anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  09:36:54  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Yes, but just because you're different doesn't mean you can't use the name yourself.

Like the Sith in starwars, like Darth Vader, have nothing to do with true sith, but they took up the name anyway.

Sure, if you want it in your own setting. There's no canon material though. So nope, they don't have any relation to each other.

If you find canon lore to convince me, then I'll agree with you but there isn't any. And that was what swifty was asking and thus the answer is no, there is NO connection with Shade.

I'm really not sure why this continues to be a debate. The Shadevari are a race of beings that are iron-gray lizard scaled, horned, barbed, and clawed and they serve the Shadowking. The Shadovar are the citizens of the Shade Enclave. Neither have any relation to the other.

SIGH.

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Apr 2009 10:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  13:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about never? Is never a good and long enough time? I would rather the Year of Blue Fire destroy Toril and all in and on it than... Well, I guess you get where I'm going here. *sigh*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1226 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  13:12:44  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't suppress the sense of curiosity I get when pondering the 15th century Realms. I will definately think a couple of good reads set in post spellplague fearun will spark my interest in actually playing there even further.

Good times are ahead with evocative authors such as Cordell, Kemp, Scott-De Bie and others on board!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

RedneckBadgerLord
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  10:28:31  Show Profile  Visit RedneckBadgerLord's Homepage Send RedneckBadgerLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4E is a travesty all around, folks. I'm in the process of writing an alternate future (as are many people these days) in which Mystra is wounded, but not killed.

No I do not like Spellplague, but stopping it is a good plot-device for PCs.

Redwall. Drizzt. Kentucky. Enough said.

I was weaned on 2E Baldur's Gate. Learned 3.5E, and can't stand 4E WoF. (Though I try not to mess up canon too badly).
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  15:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read my LJ and my RANTs and you can guess why I voted no... not that there ever was any doubt

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  19:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essentaily, 4th Edition is just a collection of ideas as far as I'm concerned. Some good, some bad. While I've seen nothing (especially the state of 4th edition realms) that I would use exclusively, I do like some of the ideas that came with 4th edition. All in all I'd stick with 3rd Edition rules and use 4th edition strictly for new ideas and ways of looking at things.
The new cosmology for one. I think the Elemental Chaos/Astral Sea works better than the old wheel cosmology. I like the Feywild and Shadowfell and feel they can fit into the "Old Realms" without much problem.
As far as the 4th Edition Realms? My feeling is too much lost for too little gained. Lots of great real estate like Mulhorand, Unther, and Halruua lost for no good reason.
I also liked the Gods as they were, no pruning needed. No Exarchs, no Spellplauge to kill a bunch of them off.
I like some of the ideas of Returned Abeir, but I see no reason to loose Maztica and associated lands by dropping a new continent on top of it. Since I've always liked the idea of Spelljammer I'd probably just put a planet called Abeir in the same orbit as Toril, or perhaps use the ideas I like to fill in the "unknown" areas of Toril.
So no to using 4th Edition and it's version of the Realms in it's entirity, but there are ideas here and there that can be used.
Go to Top of Page

bolf66
Seeker

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  00:29:00  Show Profile  Visit bolf66's Homepage Send bolf66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes. and here's why I only do novels for now but I love the realms as much anybody but I know something that some are forgetting. who created this wonderful world we all know and enjoy that's right ED as much much as we care for this beautiful world of ours remember dady ED is still around and I'm possitve he's not gonna let his baby get corupted by a bunch of imps from the abyss (Wotc) he and kemp and salvator and the rest will save us from calamity

perception is the real truth
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30647 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  01:11:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

yes. and here's why I only do novels for now but I love the realms as much anybody but I know something that some are forgetting. who created this wonderful world we all know and enjoy that's right ED as much much as we care for this beautiful world of ours remember dady ED is still around and I'm possitve he's not gonna let his baby get corupted by a bunch of imps from the abyss (Wotc) he and kemp and salvator and the rest will save us from calamity

None of those folks control what happens to the Realms... We wouldn't have had the Sellplague, if they did. I doubt we'd have had any of the RSEs with Ed at the helm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  19:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

None of those folks control what happens to the Realms... We wouldn't have had the Sellplague, if they did. I doubt we'd have had any of the RSEs with Ed at the helm.

True enough...unfortunately

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2009 :  01:42:09  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. I will not.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3450 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2009 :  03:55:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, i'm in the minority lol.

I voted Yes. I've already made the conversion of one campaign from 3E to 4E Realms and am running another separate one in the setting too. I can't say I'm completly happy wth ALL the changes made, but I can live with the time jump. And I think the best part is, I use my 3E books just as much now as I did before 4E came out so I don't feel I've wasted anything. But to each his/her own.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  00:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more - superlative intended.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

At the present, I have no need for a new campaign setting.

I understand that WotC claims that their new campaign setting is set in the same world as the Forgotten Realms, but after analysis of the materials, I can see little evidence of that. There are superficial similarities, sure, but it seems that these extend only to the names of polities and an NPC or two. The two campaign settings appear to be targeted at vastly different demographics and I regret to say that I find little in common with WotC's target audience.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  15:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cherry pick from the post-Spellplague Realms. My current campaign is set in 1490 DR, and the Spellplague did happen, just not the exact same way canon puts it. Most of my sourcebooks are 2E, (but I started learning Realmslore from 3E sourcebooks and Baldur's Gate) and so if I want to adventure in an area I feel got nuked too badly, I change the history to taste.

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1601 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  21:44:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted don't know. I won't be running/adventuring in the 5e era but I may buy some books for the nuggets of lore that may be in them.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  00:23:14  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I'll probably never run and/or adventure in either 4e or 5e FR (because the DM of my gaming group hated the changes caused by the Spellplague, and because the rest of my group has completely abandoned D&D for Pathfinder), I still voted yes, as I've been writing a series of stories about my old PC characters who have survived into the 1480's.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  00:40:10  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will start my first game in 10 years in the fifth edition ! I prefer growing with the world as it come than staying stuck in the past. everything change, even in real life ;)

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000