Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Post-Spellplague Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  17:28:52  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Do you intend using the post-Spellplague Realms? Either now or in the future, rules-as-written, house ruled or home-brew.

Choices:

Yes
No
Don''t Know

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - arry on 14 Oct 2008 17:29:39

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  17:37:39  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to know what proportion of Candlekeep scribes will be using the 4e FR and what proportion won't.

I am not very interested in what is 'better', whatever that is, just the proportional interest.
Go to Top of Page

Baragon Geddarm
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Baragon Geddarm's Homepage Send Baragon Geddarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've bought the books and may have pieces out of it. But I may go with my own timeline using changes like I mentioned in a previous scroll
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the present, I have no need for a new campaign setting.

I understand that WotC claims that their new campaign setting is set in the same world as the Forgotten Realms, but after analysis of the materials, I can see little evidence of that. There are superficial similarities, sure, but it seems that these extend only to the names of polities and an NPC or two. The two campaign settings appear to be targeted at vastly different demographics and I regret to say that I find little in common with WotC's target audience.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if I were to make the switch to D&D $e, I would continue from the Realms as they were at the end of 3e rather than adopt the ill-concieved changes that came with the 100 year shift and other nonsense.

But, I am sticking with 3e and when the campaign hits 1385, things will proceed in a business as usual fashion. No more RSEs.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:37:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Fancy seeing you here!

Much like those above me, the new Realms are not my Realms.

Ironically, Ed's been saying for years how everyone's Realms are different, but it took something like this to make everyone go off on their own idea of what's best.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  19:17:51  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  02:25:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep I will use the spellplague in my realms, because it is interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  04:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats for daring to defy convention and go with the new, unpopular thing. I won't fault you for it, scererar... I'll just never join you in your opinion.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  05:05:05  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly...
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  05:09:14  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Congrats for daring to defy convention and go with the new, unpopular thing. I won't fault you for it, scererar... I'll just never join you in your opinion.

to each his own my friend
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  10:05:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

to each his own my friend

Indead

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  18:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does possibly using Returned Abeir in a different setting count as "yes"? Overall, I dislike the new setting, so I'm reluctant to vote "yes" just for that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  18:59:16  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my own personal point of view I would say that counted as a 'no'. Could be because I'm planning on doing the same thing myself
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

From my own personal point of view I would say that counted as a 'no'. Could be because I'm planning on doing the same thing myself

Then I'll vote "no".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:17:58  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Shattered Realms in my Realms. Eventually I 'll adopt some lore if my players will ever be around 1380 DR, but no Spellplague. At the moment we are in summer 1369DR.
Ah, BTW: no timejump either
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I answered YES witout any hesitation... and I feel alone...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alone? But there's 5 other people who answered the same as you.

That's enough for a game group!

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:51:04  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at the results, you are not alone. So far, not in the majority, but what does that matter. If you are having fun playing in whatever version of the Realms I don't think that anything else matters.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:52:21  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I answered YES witout any hesitation... and I feel alone...

I'm with you. But no need to feel alone, there are plenty of players out there who use the Post-Spellplague realms. I know quite a lot of people who love the new realms
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  23:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes. The players in my group are relativly new to the Realms and D&D as a whole. They don't have alot of the AD&D and 3.X resources I have, so making a fresh start with a "new" campaign setting isn't bad because everything that happened before the Spellplague isn't important. But we're not starting with 4E untill we're done with our current campaign.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:46:37  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many folks who dig FR 4E. However, Candlekeep scribes do not fit in this boat for the most part in my opinion. So, any polls pertaining to 4e are biased by the participants here and basically self proven before they even begin.(again, in my opinion)

Edited by - scererar on 16 Oct 2008 01:47:13
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  02:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are many folks who dig FR 4E. However, Candlekeep scribes do not fit in this boat for the most part in my opinion. So, any polls pertaining to 4e are biased by the participants here and basically self proven before they even begin.(again, in my opinion)

Of course. Candlekeep mostly attracts scribes who know and love the Forgotten Realms and that was decidedly not the target demographic of the new Realms.

The new Realms are targeted at people who didn't like the previous Realms, don't want to be bothered with history and don't want any more complexity in adventures than 'Shar is evil and all evil obeys her. That guy is a priest of Shar and hanging out in a dungeon with his level-appropriate challenge buddies, kill him and take his stuff.'

Then they drop phat l00tz.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Nerfed2Hell, Arry, TwigB and Tyranthraxus !
I also can see that the Yes ratio goes growing... Go on !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:23:10  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i choose to go with "no" on this one do to the varies changes in the game system and the varies changes in the world it self that reminds me to much of another game world itself. i plan on my games keeping as close to the 2nd and or 3e games as i can.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play 3.5 Realms and 4.0 Realms. I love the fore but the latter is fun too, albeit nothing compared to the first. Have fun and play D&D is what I say!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  11:21:25  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I quite agree scererar. I'm not trying to 'prove' anything about 4e, merely trying to find out what the feeling is as far as Candlekeep is concerned. The 4e Realms is still the Realms, I just want some quantitative data as opposed to qualitative.

Edited by - arry on 16 Oct 2008 11:24:59
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  16:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

If you look at the results, you are not alone. So far, not in the majority, but what does that matter. If you are having fun playing in whatever version of the Realms I don't think that anything else matters.

Yes, of course. You like what you like, you know? Just enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  17:11:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-It provides tangible data that can be used. Rather than saying, "I think most people here don't like X", you can now say, "According to this poll, Y percentage doesn't like X".

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:30:08  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Of course. Candlekeep mostly attracts scribes who know and love the Forgotten Realms and that was decidedly not the target demographic of the new Realms.

The new Realms are targeted at people who didn't like the previous Realms, don't want to be bothered with history and don't want any more complexity in adventures than 'Shar is evil and all evil obeys her. That guy is a priest of Shar and hanging out in a dungeon with his level-appropriate challenge buddies, kill him and take his stuff.'

Hmmm...thats strange. I must be a bizarre breed of realms fan then since I like..no loved the previous realms. At some stage I was mocked by my party for knowing more realms history than ACTUAL history. I made my adventures very complex, filled with all sorts of intrigues and sub plots sometimes having no fights or phat l00tz at all.

All this and yet somehow, I still love 4th ed realms, Spellplague and all ...How can this be...maybe my condition can be treated with a prolonged stay in the isolation ward
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:59:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

That's exactly how I see it. As others have already noted, the 4E rulebooks and Realms books read like computer game manuals. I hate reading computer manuals, whether for software or otherwise, and I'm a computer technician. For me, the 4E books made gaming seem like work, but that may be because of my career and how much I prefer lore over mechanics.

Anyway, as you have probably guessed by now, I voted no. Not even a little bit. I'm actually rewinding some of the events of 1374 and 1375 in my Realms. Anyway, even I'm growing weary of this debate, and it's settling in as apathy over the Realms in general... which may be what Wizbro is aiming for, to get us ready for the next setting... which I won't be buying either. As of the GHotR, I'm done with new commercial FR products until we get a timeline rollback like the one rumored to be coming down the pipe for Greyhawk 4E. I don't care whether it's to 1357, 1375, or some point in between, as long as it happens.

[edit] To those who enjoy the new setting: Have fun with it, because, as has been said many times since this whole debate began, having fun is what it's all about.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Oct 2008 00:02:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000