Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Bad Guy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  22:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The people you love to hate and the people you hate to love. Who do you root for or hope will take a fall.

They can make the list for the following attributes:

1} Power

2} Style

3} Lethal

4} Manipulative

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  02:41:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite choice, it has always been the Zulkir of Necromancy, Szass Tam. He combines all the attributes you mentioned into one extraordinary villain. I liked him when I first read about him in Red Magic. The adventures he was used in, in the Spellbound campaign expansion were also good entertainment. I would like to add more, but I am pressed for time.

Maybe later...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis Entreri,

Szass Tam has got to be one of the best villians..

basically most drow fit into that category,

but Mel Odom's trilogy introduce Iakhovas, who is a mage i guess, thousands of years old, and seems like quite a power and at least is an awesome villian (not read the third book yet - I CANT FIND IT)

In the fall of mythdrannor, those three demon brothers are quite cool....gotta restecpa the power there.

Jarlaxle as well is quite cool. Im undecided as to how bad he is, but he is certainly entertaining.

In some of the Elminster books, notebly crown of fire (i think) Manshoon and Elminster have some run ins. You gotta love how pathetic that guy is for the head of the Zhentarim.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:52:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have access to my books, and my head is full of philosophical facts so...which Mel Odom trilogy are you talking about?.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:14:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldaith is one of my favourite, he isn't completly a villain, but he is VERY FAR from being a good guy.
Hallaster is also fun to study.
I think Artemis Entrey doesn't have everything to be THE villain. It misses something... i don't know what but i'm not very interesting in him

What could be interesting is novels about the villain. There stories. Maybe it could fill what, IMO, misses in Artemis' character.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I think Artemis Entrey doesn't have everything to be THE villain. It misses something... i don't know what but i'm not very interesting in him

Maybe because he's so focused on Drizzt? In Icewind Dale, he's very professional. It's his job. However, later on, he can't think of anything but besting Drizzt. If you ask me, his best story was in The Halfling's Gem. He gets too obsessed with revenge later.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:34:19  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly, i don't like the idea of the EXACT opposite. It's too much Black or White. Evil is never completly evil as well for good
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite are as follows:

1} Power -Szass Tam

2} Style -Eldaith

3} Lethal - Artemis Entreri

4} Manipulative -Jarlaxle

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:08:59  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith Craulnober is cool

and the Mel Odom trilogy is a quartet although book three of four is a collection of short stories not written by him so i didn't include it

Sea of Fallen Stars is one book, cant remember the rest

All about the Sahaugin attacking the sword coast and and the inner sea

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  07:49:32  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle is cool too. As for Eldaith, he isn't completly a bad guy. He has more depth than just "i'm the bad guy, i'll just try to rule the world".
In my campaign i try to make my villains not 'just evil'. For example, there are clones that attacks my pc. They are evil but they are also controled by a powerful entity so they envy the players that can make their own descisions. Just to make understand that they are evil but they didn't choose
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  09:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is probably going to sound strange, but my favorite villain is Malik, the Seraph of lies.
You've just got to love watching him try to do all these horrible things, and never really succeed or even be all that good at being bad. I've never seen a villian so human before.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Malik in Return of the Archwizards? Bad guy, but always had to tell the truth? Gotta love that.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  17:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

This is probably going to sound strange, but my favorite villain is Malik, the Seraph of lies.
You've just got to love watching him try to do all these horrible things, and never really succeed or even be all that good at being bad. I've never seen a villian so human before.

I don't think that sounds strange at all. He is a great charecter! I love the fact that he can only tell the truth.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  04:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorites so far:

Power - Manshoon or Fzoul Chembryl
Style - Jarlaxle or Pharaun Mizzrym
Lethality - Aretmis Entreri
Manipulative - Nimor Imphraezl

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  08:13:55  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick aside question:

Who are Pharaun Mizzrym, and Nimor Imphraezl?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  10:25:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuadDib I suggest you look here for information on Nimor Imphraezl. Although I should warn you, that article contains spoilers for the WotSQ novel Condemnation.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  20:42:07  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

MuadDib I suggest you look here for information on Nimor Imphraezl. Although I should warn you, that article contains spoilers for the WotSQ novel Condemnation.

I cannot beleive how GREAT of characters Ryld, Pharaun, and Nimor are. I am so THRILLED with the last three War of the Spider Queen books. Furthermore, I can pick out each individual authors style, but they have a SEAMLESS switch when writing character personalities. They are doing a great job. Pharaun of Dissolution is the same as Pharaun of Condemnation. Good job to the authors.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  03:06:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
Furthermore, I can pick out each individual authors style, but they have a SEAMLESS switch when writing character personalities. They are doing a great job.
I can agree with that. In fact that has been (along with the actual story) one of the better aspects about this FR series.

Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  21:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The true power of the evil, I think, not is a evil people that make evil things, is a great groups(organizations) that make great evil events. My favorite are:
-The Dragon's cult
-The Red mages of thay
-The Zentharim
-The Thiefs of shadows
-The Xanathar's group of rogues

"Gods protect children and drunks"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  09:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I cannot beleive how GREAT of characters Ryld, Pharaun, and Nimor are. I am so THRILLED with the last three War of the Spider Queen books. Furthermore, I can pick out each individual authors style, but they have a SEAMLESS switch when writing character personalities. They are doing a great job. Pharaun of Dissolution is the same as Pharaun of Condemnation. Good job to the authors.

I couldnt agree more, Mournblade. Not wanting to get off topic and talk about the novels, but the authors did indeed to a great job in keeping the flavor of the characters from novel to novel. Pharaun and Ryld (as a companionship, if you can call it that ) are in my top 5 favorite FR characters!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

[quote]Originally posted by Mournblade

I cannot beleive how GREAT of characters Ryld, Pharaun, and Nimor are. I am so THRILLED with the last three War of the Spider Queen books.

Indeed!!!

I feel like the entire casting call of the Spider Queen books is pure quality. The dynamics between all of the characters is great. I feel that they play off each other very well.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  23:19:27  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so adrenalized when Pharaun told Jagreth the demonspawn:

"Never Touch me Again..." I so want Pharaun to flay Jagreth. I like Jagreth, but I am tired of him pushing everyone around. I think Pharaun needs to give him a lesson.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  02:25:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very deep and powerful lesson indeed . I also found that particular scene intensive as well Mournblade. Do you have any other favorites?. Maybe you should start a new scroll on favorite WotSQ scenes only, instead of the older Best Battle Scene scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  06:40:28  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAH well since I am in love with Quenthel just about any scene with her in it

No really there are others. I love Pharaun and Ryld. ABout time they made a really good MAGE character (as a main character, not including elminster)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  07:43:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with that. I am eagerly anticipating what the next books will indeed bring concerning these characters.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  16:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Maybe you should start a new scroll on favorite WotSQ scenes only, instead of the older Best Battle Scene scroll.

That is a wonderful idea Sage.

Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  19:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle and Elaith Craulnober are the two I think make great bad guys. (Since I haven't read about most of the others mentioned). Both are quite cunning. Jarlaxle is definitely manipulative. Elaith is Lethal. (thinking back to Elfsong).

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:28:29  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roddy McGristle, for his tenacity n never give up attitude, misplaced as it is "damned drow took my ear and killed my dog".....

Go Roddy Go Roddy Go (lol)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000