Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has anyone ever used a Mageduel in their games?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  18:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
And if so, how did it go?

I'm just curious, as this sounded like one of the best ideas in Magic of Faerun (giving mages a way to settle their differences without incinerating each other), and like something that could be used in a lot of ways within the game.

My favorites were one between a potential master and his hopeful student ("How else shall I learn your mastery of Mystra's might?"), between mages who are professional opponents without being actual blood enemies, and the ever-popular young punk spellslinger roaming the countryside dueling other mages over the right to the spells in their spellbooks. I.e., "Either let me copy Snilloc's Icy Sphere, or I'll duel and disgrace you before the whole town!"

Has anyone here any other uses for the mageduel?

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  22:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't had the pleasure but I did introduce a Magefair on Mount Waterdeep that had the Wizard PC win a fireball throwing contest and also they saw a Gnome by the name of Zippergwick do an alchemy presentation, mixing potions seemingly at random and the end result was his body exploding all over the stage...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  23:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used a formal mageduel yet, but I plan to have one of my own PC-NPCs sponsor a mage fair in an upcoming game at which magic challenges will probably be spectacular.

So far there has been only one significant magical battle between a Red Wizard summoner armed with a staff of fireballs and a ring of spell turning killed a 7th-level wizard and destroyed his apprentices, 2nd and 3rd-level wizards with a few magic items, trapped a wizard-cleric of Mystra within a cylindrical wall of fire and bade fair to wipe out the whole party and several hundred of their closest friends. He became hoist upon his own bombard, however, when he turned his staff on a cleric of Mask, and saw one of his own fireballs come hurtling back towards himself before he had time to down one of the potions of extra-healing he had been using to shrug off damage from physical attacks and higher-level spells. Quoth the cleric: "I've got one, too, mother farter!" Well, that's not exactly what he said, but this is a PG-13 board.

After something like that I will need to present some "Technicolor" mageduels to keep the players interested in the fair, so I will happily take under advisement any other DM's success stories of mageduels.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  01:07:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to read through the "Magisterial Duel" section in Secrets of the Magister as well, since it may provide you with some ideas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  04:32:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'll admit, I never liked, nor fully understood, the Mageduel rules in Magic of Faerūn.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  16:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mageduel's are fun. Each wizard agrees how many rounds of prep they are allowed. No attacks spells are cast during the prep. After about 3 ropunds at most let the fireworks begin. Maybe cut it off after 5 rounds. This allows your players plenty of time to duel and see if they won. Good fun!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000