Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Pirate King (Spoilers within)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:30:59  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like encountering other fans of Stackpole.

"Waves hand". Stackpole fan here.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  17:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like encountering other fans of Stackpole.
I own all of Stackpole's fantasy works except for his latest trilogy. I was introduced to him via Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. Never read any of his Battletech stuff though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  17:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic, I read somewhere (over a year ago) that RAS is contracted to write a certain number of Realms novels (and I think after that he has said he is done). Unfortunately, this is just hearsay, because I cannot remember where. But knowing about WotC's (and TSR's before them) heavy editing (Ed has many fun things to say about this) and how an editor can tell an author to include something in a book (even if they really don't want to; RAS's killing of Chewbacca in Vector Prime comes to mind), I would not judge RAS too harshly on these books.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  18:19:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely not judging him at all on these books. It's very apparent that a lot of stuff is 'forced' into the stories just to set up 4th Edition's changes.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  16:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I just finished the book;

I must say that I rather liked the book. R.A. Salvatore did a very good job of establishing the slow transformation of the "innocent" Realms of 3rd Edition into the much more ambigious 4E Realms where so much well intentioned heroism is going to go off in odd directions.

Which is one of several reasons why I'm very reluctant to even bother reading this book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  16:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I'm definitely not judging him at all on these books. It's very apparent that a lot of stuff is 'forced' into the stories just to set up 4th Edition's changes.

I agree, although I still think a book can be criticized for coming off as "forced", even if the author has only a limited amount of control over that.

By the way, I am mostly convinced (thanks to my cynical side) that the Orc King prologue that was set post-Spellplague and full of "tantalizing" bits about the 4E Realms was little more than an appropriately timed marketing ploy, as there's no similar prologue for this novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  16:26:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I agree, although I still think a book can be criticized for coming off as "forced", even if the author has only a limited amount of control over that.

By the way, I am mostly convinced (thanks to my cynical side) that the Orc King prologue that was set post-Spellplague and full of "tantalizing" bits about the 4E Realms was little more than an appropriately timed marketing ploy, as there's no similar prologue for this novel.

I noticed that as well.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  23:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers!

Do not like it...

These are my arguments and I really need to get this off my chest.

Just finished it and while there are some good moments in the book, I am really disapointed.
I really liked the orc king and thought Salvatore was back on track after, imo, a couple of not so good drizzt books.
I loved the start of this book, but then it came back to the same old thing... Drows creating chaos..
I mean how many of his books are going revolve around this?
So tired of the invincible Jarlaxle and his sonic pal! Give me a new twist please, seen this before.. it only works once, not trice!

I know alot of people likes jarlaxle, but he is never in any real danger and you know that when he appears, there will be a conflict and he'll talk his way out of with a smile and a tip of his hat. And if any of his so called companions are about to get killed, good ol' Kimmuriel will save the day.

Imo it's starting to get a bit boring.

I liked deudermonts(sp?) story, and it really felt like his book, not Drizzts, whom I wanted to read about since it's his series!

I think salvatore's working with too many characters at a time, which results in a less intimate relationship between reader and character.
I don't think I would have cared or lived much with Drizzt had I not known him by now. I might be supposed to know him, but Salvatore always takes pride in his interviews, that you could start with any of the Drizzt books and not be lost. This is a deudermont book and I would have been lost to the nature and thoughts of the character named Drizzt.

And why does he let two characters fight when none of them are going to lose? If salvatore likes Athrogathe(sp? the dwarf) so much don't let him fight drizzt if you don't want him to die...
I knew he wasn't going to die and Drizzt neither, and it killed the excitement.. You can feel Salvatores love for the Character which, too many times, makes the outcome predictable.

And why are Sonics so incredibly hardcore in Salvatores books? I mean A power lich who kills anyone that pisses him off, doesn't even try to discern who comes to him from the darkness.
Oh yea and a lich that feels love.... cough cough.

Besides that, the whole Luskan conflict smelled too much of ''we went to Iraq, removed a dictator and look at the chaos'' .. I've got cnn thanks.

And what was the VERY short lived chapters on Wulfgar?! I know he needed Drizzt out of Luskan for a while, but that part of the story just seemed like fill-in. And as a wulfgar fan it was very frustrating to read.

And most of all, the acceptance of Jarlaxles deeds by Drizzt. He is not an idiot is he? He should know Jarlaxles role in such a drow-like conflict, or at LEAST be pretty damn pissed about past meetings! But what the hell, we like both of them so they're just gonna go on like nothing happend, very believable!

Ok I fumed off a bit, but I love Drizzt!
And I will ofcourse continue reading the Drizzt series and hope for more quality stories like: Dark elf trilogy - Servant of the Shard - legacy collection - the two swords and the orc king.

The best part in this book was the refferance to Monty Python and the Holy Grail... Killer Rabbit!

In my opinion this was almost as bad as sea of swords.

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  05:14:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, loved that the Harpells changed a Malarite into a bunny and created a Vorpal Rabbit.

I think all your dislikes about the book can be summed up in this trilogy's title: 'Transitions'

Which, of course is how RAS is bring Drizzt from pre-Spellplague to post-Spellplague. It's a trilogy of books where he gets to touch on all of his characters and show 'where are they now?' (or are going to be) come the Spellplague. A sort of final round of goodbyes.

And, I think he's not killing Athrogate because Bruenor's gonna kill him personally.

Edit: Corrected spelling

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 21 Oct 2008 13:52:20
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  11:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done reading. Not one of the best Drizzt novels but definately a good one. The battles are vivid and I can actually picture them better than in most other novels with the better descriptions (and NO they aren't the same words used as always that some people claim, it's very good).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  19:00:19  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

Hordak, your post may as well have been written from my head. I agree with virtually everything you said but maybe with a little less frustration. To sum up my biggest personal frustrations...Drizzt just walks away after Deudermont's killed? Isn't this the same dark elf that took on all of Menzo after Wulfgar was killed and his friends were threatened? Now he won't even stick around to take on a skinny guy with a beak. Second, there was very little Drizzt in this book. There are just way too many characters being juggled around for any real depth. Third, I thought Kimmuriel and Breghan Daerth were not longer going to follow Jarlaxle on his surface world ambitions. Umm...where's Luskan located again?

All that being said, I've really enjoyed most of the Drizzt books, and I will await final judgement until the conclusion of the Ghost King. Outside of Deudermont's death, this really just felt like a set-up book for the next in line.

Last point...I really hope that RAS continues with Drizzt post spell plague and they focus more Drizzt alone. I enjoy Bruenor, Regis, and the bunch, but I really miss the old Drizzt-centric books from the Dark Elf trilogy. Too many characters = too little character.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  19:19:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi mnb!

Let's take a look at the overall book. The theme of the novel is that is that the world isn't as black and white as when Drizzt first started the adventures with his friends. From Obould to the Harpells to the politics of Luskan, Drizzt is learning that defeating an evil overlord has repercussions that no one could foresee. I think it shows greater wisdom on his part that he doesn't go after the Crow at the end of the book since he's realized that, if he killed him, what's waiting in the wings? Jaraxle and Bregan D'aerthe? Something worse?

Second, in regards to Bregan D'aerthe, it is 1376 (as I posted earlier), and I believe Road of the Patriarch takes place at least five years prior, if not before (can anyone back me up on this?). So, it's very conceivable that Jaraxle has rejoined his mercenaries and is establishing a hold on the surface roads.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  20:37:18  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Ravenheart.

I understand your points and don't necessarily disagree, but I'm disappointed nonetheless. Possibly the theme of the book is one of the things that's got me so frustrated. I hate pragmatism from Drizzt. It makes him seem old and less refreshing than the early days. Of course, if I wanted to dictate Drizzt's life I probably should have written about him first. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed the whole Drizzt series, and I didn't hate the book. I finished it in three days, which is fast for me. There are just a lot of things in this book that didn't work for me. Of course, I still can't wait for The Ghost King.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  00:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think all your dislikes about the book can be summed up in this trilogy's title: 'Transitions'

Which, of course is how RAS is bring Drizzt from pre-Spellplague to post-Spellplague. It's a trilogy of books where he gets to touch on all of his characters and show 'where are they now?' (or are going to be) come the Spellplague. A sort of final round of goodbyes.

Again, this might be cynical of me, but the title of the trilogy goes to show--to me anyway--just how self-conscious this series has come to be.

That's how it looks from my admittedly biased point of view.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Oct 2008 00:07:08
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  00:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnb128

All that being said, I've really enjoyed most of the Drizzt books, and I will await final judgement until the conclusion of the Ghost King. Outside of Deudermont's death, this really just felt like a set-up book for the next in line.

What made you think that? Just out of curiosity...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  03:18:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Again, this might be cynical of me, but the title of the trilogy goes to show--to me anyway--just how self-conscious this series has come to be.

I don't disagree. I love Drizzt and RAS' writing, but it's even obvious to me that the series has overpowered the story. As much as I want to see new Drizzt stories for as long as RAS churns them out, I also can say that he jumped the shark when Wulfgar came back.

But hey, I'm the type that hates to see anything end, even when it should. Besides, sometimes you get something great even after the horse has died, decomposed and fresh grass is growing over it. Look at the new Batman movies!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  11:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't disagree. I love Drizzt and RAS' writing, but it's even obvious to me that the series has overpowered the story. As much as I want to see new Drizzt stories for as long as RAS churns them out, I also can say that he jumped the shark when Wulfgar came back.

But hey, I'm the type that hates to see anything end, even when it should. Besides, sometimes you get something great even after the horse has died, decomposed and fresh grass is growing over it. Look at the new Batman movies!

...hmmm yea... or the new Indiana jones movie..

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  14:19:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hordak

quote:

quote:

quote:

...hmmm yea... or the new Indiana jones movie..

As my friend said in his review of the movie:

"It's the best sequel to National Treasure yet!"

IOW, it's not as good as other Indy movies, but still a lot better than some of the other tripe out there.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  02:15:14  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What made you think that? Just out of curiosity...

Too many unresolved issues. Longsaddle, Greeth, Wulfgar, Maimun and Robillard, etc. There was no resolution to any of their stories. I'm hoping that this book is building up to a greater climax. Otherwise it just feels that too many scenes and characters were simply thrown into the book just to squeeze them in somewhere. It's just all too haphazard to me unless all the little seemingly inconsequential side stories are going to have a greater significance in the next book.
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  05:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's just all too haphazard to me unless all the little seemingly inconsequential side stories are going to have a greater significance in the next book.

You mean when they all die thanks to the spellplague or its aftereffects?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  23:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I'm inclined to say that for me, the books really started to get unexciting and "samey" with The Thousand Orcs.

quote:

Well, we'll see if someday the IWD trilogy gets rebooted like Batman.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  23:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Too many unresolved issues. Longsaddle, Greeth, Wulfgar, Maimun and Robillard, etc. There was no resolution to any of their stories. I'm hoping that this book is building up to a greater climax. Otherwise it just feels that too many scenes and characters were simply thrown into the book just to squeeze them in somewhere. It's just all too haphazard to me unless all the little seemingly inconsequential side stories are going to have a greater significance in the next book.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that.

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  20:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Rob will hand the Drizzt reins over to his son after The Ghost King.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope not.

Drizzt by another author is not something I'd like to see.

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:15:03  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Not sure I'll buy this. The Luskan story seems to be just the kind of thing that makes me channel my inner depressed cynic.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  02:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Maybe. I wouldn't consider that ideal, though--I think the Drizzt story arc should (eventually) end, not be perpetually continued under different authors...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  05:51:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can think of two examples where the 'reins' were handed off. Christopher Tolkien's taking over Middle Earth and Todd McCaffrey picking up the Pern series. Tolkien was publishing material based on his father's notes, and most of them came off as textbooks instead of literature. As for Todd, I really haven't read any of the new Pern books, mostly because I feel that once they defeated the Red Planet, the story was over.

As for RAS handing off to Geno, I'd rather the story just finish and no new Drizzt. However, I feel that no matter what, if Wasbro can make some money off it, Drizzt will be resurrected time and again.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  12:41:11  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another example of a great series being picked up by someone else would be the Dune series. Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have now released 9 Dune books (3 more than Frank Herbert in the original series) and they just don't measure up. Of course, I'm a sucker, so I keep buying them anyway to see what happens.

That said, I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to pass the reins to anyone else. If RAS is done with Drizzt I think Drizzt should be done for good. However, I don't think the Ghost King will be the last of Drizzt from RAS. If he tried to tie up all the loose ends in that final book it would be massive. Well, Wizards would keep it between 340 and 347 pages, but I don't feel like having to use a magnifying glass for the size 3 font.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  13:41:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure, mnb. Many of the 'loose ends' can be tied up by Wasbro's answer for all the changes now: The Spellplague. Jumping forward a hundred years means many of the companions have died either from the Spellplague or old age. The only ones I see surviving are Drizzt, Jarlaxle (both already mentioned in 4E), Artemis (possibly from his Shade 'blood') and Catti-brie (she's studying magic from Alustriel, life-extending magic shouldn't be that hard).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Maybe. I wouldn't consider that ideal, though--I think the Drizzt story arc should (eventually) end, not be perpetually continued under different authors...
I have to agree with RF here. Also, I do not see RAS giving Drizzt to someone else after he is done writing Drizzt novels considering his reaction when TSR tried to do that years ago. They got someone (the same guy who wrote the Drizzt short story in Realms of the Underdark) to write a novel because RAS could not write for them at the time because of contractual issues and they wanted a new Drizzt novel (for obvious reasons). Even though the book got written, it will never see the light of day. I think this also happened during TSR's fall from financial grace (EDIT: this last comment is to date this event).

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 27 Oct 2008 15:39:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000