Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dambrathan city of Hazuth: all-edition loresearch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  16:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for anything I can find on the Dambrathan city of Hazuth. I think this might be the first time the name has been typed at the Keep!

From what I've been able to find so far, the city entered the Lore in FR16 The Shining South (did the nation itself enter earlier?). This source, from what I've found so far, remains the best for Hazuth, with perhaps 200 words of fairly detailed description at page 30.

Thomas M. Reid's 2004 book, Shining South,[b] doesn't seem to contain a mention, though the city is included in the map on page 95.

According to this year's [b]FRCG
, all of the cities of Dambrath except Purl were put to the torch when the Arkaiuns successfully threw of the Crinti yoke during the Spellplague. The map shows that the ruins of the city were not effected by the various oceanic inundations and withdrawals have changed the coastlines, and are still situated on the eastern bank of the River Ammath where it enters the sea (p. 115).

I'm interested in anything I can find about this city, in gaming or fiction sources, particularly "civic geography" details. A map would be fantastic, but I suspect one doesn't exist.

Most of the Dambrathan cities that have been described were along the Bay of Dancing Dolphins, so knowing their character is only a little helpful, unfortunately. As was spider-haunted Cathyr, Hazuth was somewhat different than its sister coastal cities (it had a significant halfling population, for one thing).

Anybody got anything?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  16:20:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Grand History of the Realms it was founded in 385 DR Year of the Lady's Gaze.

That's all I got.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  16:33:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The halfling population could present some interesting possibilities as in 546 DR Year of the Rusted Sabre, Lurien was invaded by barbarians from Dambrath and most of the halfling were enslaved, save for a few who went into hiding.
That was a long time past, but that is something I bet the halflings still in Dambrath(Hazuth) do not forget!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Sep 2008 16:34:17
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  19:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Red Walker!

Here's an interesting bit of information to add into the search filters.

In FR 16, Hazuth is described as a "drop-off point for bluewood and other goods from the northern half of Dambrath."

The only reference to "bluewood" I can come up with is that's is apparently a (non-magical?) material described in YA3SIGTO*, Unapproachable East, where it's described, according to a review I found, as "a new[sic] special material, is also introduced in this chapter. Bluewood is used in the construction of weapons and armor and gives the item the same hardness as an equivalent item made of metal but at half the weight."

What can people tell me about bluewood (not in games mechanic terms, in Realmslore terms)?

*Yet Another 3.0/3.5 Supplement I Get to Order!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  21:54:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Thanks, Red Walker!

In FR 16, Hazuth is described as a "drop-off point for bluewood and other goods from the northern half of Dambrath."

The only reference to "bluewood" I can come up with is that's is apparently a (non-magical?) material described in YA3SIGTO*, Unapproachable East, where it's described, according to a review I found, as "a new[sic] special material, is also introduced in this chapter. Bluewood is used in the construction of weapons and armor and gives the item the same hardness as an equivalent item made of metal but at half the weight."

What can people tell me about bluewood (not in games mechanic terms, in Realmslore terms)?

I read somewhere(I can't recall where right now), that bluewood is special to or is highly sought by druids. They use it in armor , and is one of the best ways for them to have armor that compares to metals, plus it is lighter.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  22:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find references to Hazuth on pages 23 and 30 of the original Shining South (2nd edition) - which you have already found.

This website has an excellent index of Realms lore across all modules (at least the older ones).

http://uk.geocities.com/martyn_quick/tmp/FRindex.txt

It looks like not much else since then 2nd ed...

quote:

I'm looking for anything I can find on the Dambrathan city of Hazuth. I think this might be the first time the name has been typed at the Keep!

From what I've been able to find so far, the city entered the Lore in FR16 The Shining South (did the nation itself enter earlier?). This source, from what I've found so far, remains the best for Hazuth, with perhaps 200 words of fairly detailed description at page 30.

Thomas M. Reid's 2004 book, Shining South,[b] doesn't seem to contain a mention, though the city is included in the map on page 95.

According to this year's [b]FRCG
, all of the cities of Dambrath except Purl were put to the torch when the Arkaiuns successfully threw of the Crinti yoke during the Spellplague. The map shows that the ruins of the city were not effected by the various oceanic inundations and withdrawals have changed the coastlines, and are still situated on the eastern bank of the River Ammath where it enters the sea (p. 115).

I'm interested in anything I can find about this city, in gaming or fiction sources, particularly "civic geography" details. A map would be fantastic, but I suspect one doesn't exist.

Most of the Dambrathan cities that have been described were along the Bay of Dancing Dolphins, so knowing their character is only a little helpful, unfortunately. As was spider-haunted Cathyr, Hazuth was somewhat different than its sister coastal cities (it had a significant halfling population, for one thing).

Anybody got anything?

Edited by - Ranak on 24 Sep 2008 22:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I know Ed created the city and Dambrath, this is one I'd ask him in his thread. If he can find his notes quickly, you'll get a quick answer. I don't imagine he has much, but in the old "Elminster Speaks" web columns he headed down in this direction (and, as usual, got short-circuited when the company changed direction). So he may have something up his sleeve besides his arm, as the saying goes...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  00:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, scribes. Red Walker, I'll try to scrounge up a copy of The Unapproachable East and see what the what is with the bluewood. Ranak, that's a great resource, thanks--and yeah, I found those entries early (they're to the entry and to the map of the whole country). And Blueblade, I'm actually only looking for published stuff at the moment, but I'm always mindful of who the real authority is around here!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  01:47:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't immediately recall any particular reference to bluewood in past Realmslore, aside from a note about bluewood trees in Ed's Code of the Harpers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Sep 2008 01:48:13
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  13:51:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Red Walker!

Your welcome! I know that I have read about it somewhere, I just can't place it. Something about Bluewood chain mail armor and a long sword?? Oh, well it will come to me at some point.
If you want the skinny on Bluewood, you should fire a question at Ed in his ask Ed scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  19:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

If you want the skinny on Bluewood, you should fire a question at Ed in his ask Ed scroll.

Thanks for the suggestion! At this point, I might as well wait for my Unapproachable East to show up!

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the suggestion! At this point, I might as well wait for my Unapproachable East to show up!

quote:
Unapproachable East pg. 58

Bluewood: Volodni craftsfolk often fashion armor and weapons from the wood of blueleaf trees grown with care, sculpted with wood shape, and then magically treated to be as hard as steel. A bluewood weapon has the same hardness and characteristics as a normal metal armor or weapon of that sort but weighs half as much. Bluewood armor and weapons created in this fashion are considered masterwork items and gain the appropriate bonuses.

Bluewood items have the following additional costs:
Light armor +300 gp
Medium armor +600 gp
Heavy armor +1,200 gp
Shield +300 gp
Weapon (1d4 or 1d6) +400 gp
Weapon (any other) +800 gp

The process of treating bluewood to harden it requires ten days of work by someone knowledgeable in the process. This is either a volodni with 10 ranks in Craft (alchemy or wood-working), or a non-volodni with the same skills and 2 ranks in Knowledge (local—volodni).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  19:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks Kyrene. I apparently ordered Races of Faerûn by accident (or that's what the bookseller sent me, anyway), so I wasn't going to be able to look it up after all.

I wonder if bluewood trees and blueleaf trees are the same. Bluewood trees are also referred to as mathiri in the lore. Does that word show up in Unapproachable East?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  09:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if bluewood trees and blueleaf trees are the same.

No. To obtain wisdom, one must read with care.*

*Re-read the quoted section, Chris, it makes a clear distinction between "bluewood" and "blueleaf".

quote:
Bluewood (sic) trees are also referred to as mathiri in the lore. Does that word show up in Unapproachable East?

Sorry, all out of freebies for today, please wait 24 hours before resubmitting your request.**

**I'm not at home to check and Google is your friend.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  12:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

I wonder if bluewood trees and blueleaf trees are the same.

No. To obtain wisdom, one must read with care.*

*Re-read the quoted section, Chris, it makes a clear distinction between "bluewood" and "blueleaf".

Hmmm. I've re-read it, "with care," and see no clear distinction. It seems to me, from what you've written, that the wood of the blueleaf tree is referred to as bluewood. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be regional differences in the name of a single species, even among the speakers of a common language. Thus my follow-up question. Again, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  18:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It seems to me, from what you've written, that the wood of the blueleaf tree is referred to as bluewood. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be regional differences in the name of a single species, even among the speakers of a common language. Thus my follow-up question. Again, thanks.

It is both a pleasure and a valid wondering from your part, but as I directly quoted from the source book in question, I guess you and I both have to abide by the little snippet of (canon) lore it provided. There is—according to Google at least—also a reference to "blueleaf" in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, but alas I have not yet had the time or bandwidth to download that—gratis from WotC no less—to verify what that could all be about. I suggest you do that in the interrim to satisfy your curiousity.

As for the word "mathiri" there is no mention of it, but being as it pertains to the volodni*, it may be a local word derived from—or influenced by—the word "Raumathar/i". Until you find a definitive source, your guess is as good as mine.

*Unapproachable East pg 41, 42:
Volodni Region
Bonus Equipment:
(A) Bluewood spear or scimitar; or (B) bluewood chain shirt; or (C) longbow*. (For information on bluewood, see Special Materials in Chapter 5: Magic Items.)

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2008 :  09:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: formatting gremlins eradicated.

As a followup to my last reply:
quote:
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical pg. 59

In addition, the Realms possesses more than a few apparently unique types of trees. These include: beetle palm, blueleaf, calantra, chime oak, duskwood, felsul, hiexel, laspar, phandar, roseneedle pine, shadowtop, silverbark, suth, vundwood, weirwood, and zalantar.

pg. 61

Blueleaf: This species is found north of Amn from the Sword Coast to Impiltur, although a rare few blueleaf trees have been seen growing in Chessenta, Turmish, and the Border Kingdoms. Blueleafs (not "blueleaves") grow close together in thick stands and reach 40 feet in height, but rarely attain trunk diameters of over 8 inches. Blueleaf trees have many small branches that begin about halfway up their trunks; branches grow in spiderweblike swirls around the trunks.

These delicately built, but supple, trees are instantly recognizable when in leaf because of the eerie, gleaming blue color of their many-pointed leaves*. Blueleafs bend in high winds or under heavy ice loads rather than breaking, and when curved entirely around like hoops, they form snow tunnels that provide ready shelter for winter travelers—and hungry hunting predators. They yield beautiful leaping blue flames when burned and are thus prized in many inns and taverns, where their light provides moody illumination for taletellers and minstrels in the late evenings. Their sap and crushed leaves yield a vivid blue dye which captures almost all of the glow of the living leaves and is much favored in the making of cloaks in the North.

Blueleaf is a durable, neutral wood popular for use in magical items, which it neither aids nor hampers the enchantment of, and as a material component. If it is the sole consumed material component in a spell (that is, not counting a holy symbol or item to be altered but not used up by the casting), it can reduce the casting time by 1 to a minimum of 1.

* Elminster: Ye would call the leaves of blueleaf trees electric blue in hue and in shape might term them ragged maple leaves.

Perhaps you can take the time to quote from your source for the so-called "bluewood" tree, to help us fellow scribes to clear up your apparent confusion.

Edited by - Kyrene on 04 Oct 2008 09:37:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000