Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Am I Getting Paranoid
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  23:02:37  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read with some interest that WotC has announced a new Senior Vice President of Marketing.

The description of WotC given in the press announcement is:

Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is the worldwide market share leader in the trading card game and tabletop roleplaying game categories. A leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products, the company holds an exclusive patent on the method of playing trading card games (TCGs) and produces the world’s best-selling Pokémon® and Magic: The Gathering® TCGs and publishes adventure games, family card and board games and electronic media products. Wizards of the Coast is also one of the world’s premier book publishers of fantasy series fiction whose novels have made numerous appearances on TheNew York Times best-seller list and have sold millions of copies worldwide. For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at wizards.com.

I can't see any mention of D&D in that description, I'm surprised that WotC owning the rights for D&D wasn't mentioned. I'm assuming the mention of "fantasy series fiction" refers to D&D novels.

You can read the whole of the rpess release here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=company/pr/20021001a

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  03:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....I am not too sure...

Wizards of the Coast was in NO way made any attempts towards secretly taking over TSR. It seems that if the Realms were moving to yet a THIRD company, we'd know for sure.....

Worse comes worst, we all just dress up in our finest armor, sharpen our steel and protest on the WOTC lawn while shouting elven curses into the air.....

Works for me.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  10:14:31  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC took over TSR 4 or 5 years ago. WotC have themselves now been taken over by Hasbro.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  10:30:10  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not to bothered by having D&D not mentioned by name in a press release like that. Not all of a company's products and productlines can be put in an article like that by name. And in the case of the name WotC it will be associated anyway with Pokemon and Magic. Those are the products that made WotC big, not D&D.

Maybe it is paranoia not seeing one's favorite product named, there is a certain bias to that. For the short and middle term; I personally see no risk in D&D disappearing.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  07:26:25  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
B.S.
I know exctly why.
D&D is still(and probably always be) controversial, all the religious bull**** claims that it is a tool of the Devil and all that crap, it has been like this since D&D was created, so they wont bring that topic up, because it stirs way too much crap up, thats exactly why!
The Great Drizzt
(Loyal AD&D player to the end, no matter what people say!)

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  08:11:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehm... You brought the topic up by stating it. And your argument appears to be not really valid these days. The statement that the game is 'demonic' and for 'devil-worshippers' is something out of a bygone era or reserved for minority groups.

If the game would really still be seen as 'demonical' would it be openly sold in the middle of the US bible-belt? I don't think so. A lot has changed since the first appearance of the game, just take a look at the titles of products coming out: e.g. Fiend Folio. And the use of Demons and Devils instead of Tanar'ri and Baatezu.

If WotC was still afraid of being labelled as devilworshippers or similar, they would never have done so. Nor would they have gotten away with aiming the product at a much younger age category then was used to. Besides, the violence and bloodshed in the D&D game pales in comparisson to some computergames that are popular these days. These games are not considered.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 03 Oct 2002 08:12:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  09:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mumadar Ibn Huzal
The statement that the game is 'demonic' and for 'devil-worshippers' is something out of a bygone era or reserved for minority groups.

Im not so sure about that Mumadar, look at the controversy surrounding the new D&D "Book of Vile Darkness".

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  09:45:02  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean the controversy that has been posted on this forum? Or controversy in general.

I have read some of the comments on the forum, and have yet to form my own opinion on this matter. As to general public controversy, I haven't seen anything worthwile yet to the extend of what happened in the early days of the game.

With computer-games as GTA III, which sparked world-wide controversy, I have yet to see this book having a detrimental impact on the game.

So in terms of the topic of this discussion, omitting by name the game we like and love in a press-release is not necessarily a bad omen for the game.

In an anology, the division of the company I'm working for is often omitted in some press-releases as well, eventhough our division generates the largest amount of revenue in the entire company...

How about viewing the statement in another light. What if the Magic game and Pokemon are no longer generating as much revenue and profit as they used to. WotC could have explicitely named these products to boost the image of these products.

Press statements are often made on business decisions, without having a damaging effect on products not mentioned.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 03 Oct 2002 09:50:57
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  14:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short answer: yes.

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  20:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW...

Yeah, I know WOTC took over....I just misworded my former statement.

What I meant was that when the takeover occurred, WOTC did not by any means try to keep it secret....In fact, if I recall, when it occurred, there were advertisements everywhere discussing it and the new products, etc.

My point is that if yet ANOTHER takeover were to occur, we would probably know about it...thus my skepticism toward the possibility of another one....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  08:48:46  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And like kahonen stated above, shortly after WotC took over TSR, they themselves were taken over by HASBRO. With all this take-over stuff going on, I can't say that I have seen negative effects on the game. In fact the game is more popular then ever.

It looks like the age-old human fear of change is more debit to the worries some people have.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  17:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well put, Mumadar.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  04:26:50  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you want some bad news?
Stan!
Jeff Grubb
Penny Williams
Skip Williams
JD Wiker
Rich Redman
Sean Glenn

and 97 other designers from the 3rd edition got fired...

WotC is just ****ting very very strongly...

see www.pen-paper.net , www.rpggazette.com for more infos.

No, D&D won't disapear, it's impossible but what it has to support...

WotC is stopping all the projects to only concentrate itself on few products they think to be sure to sell. Wherefore, they sold Ravenloft, DragonLance... What's the next?

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  09:05:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point in time I wouldn't be to worried about the Realms disappearing. The Forgotten Realms is a revenue generator for WotC, much more so then Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer ever were. As long as Hasbro/WotC keeps D&D in its portfolio, I fully expect to see the Realms continue.

On designers disappearing... that happened under TSR as well, nothing new under the sun here. Several of the designers are free-lancers, that move on to other companies and might even come back at some point in time.

If you want to add some more names to your list: Eric Boyd & Steven Schend (IMO two of the greatest Realms designers ever)
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  03:39:59  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure, the Realms won't deseppear, but to confin in only one Realm, it's just missing a big part of D&D's interest. I mean, what do you think about an Elminster always in others plans if you have no other plan in existence.
We are come back to the player's invention. And, we'll probably see some new Realms created by other compagnies... well, it's what i hope.

And about the disagners... no, i really don't think that WotC wants to work with free-lancers now. ok, it happened under TSR as well but what did TSR became?
WotC is feeling they won't sell so much books than by the past, because every roleplayer has already his own Player Handbook, Master manuel and whatever... they are just saying "stop! We don't want to do the same mistake than TSR". That's what i understand.
However, that holds up all the evolution of the game, and above all that scares the other disagners, who have to be the fastest they can. I was in the last GenCon and i saw the preview of the Monster Manual 2. Believe me, that was full of ****. Half of the book is useless. Actually, i was very desapointed.
And it's not finished!

And about Darksun? they are trying to find a buyer. Spelljammer, it's like it doesn't exist any more.

WotC is facing that D&D is defenitly not like Pokemon or Magic, and even if they stop to produce, the game will continue without them. And, above all, it's not just a mode.
In fact, D&D is the first really stable part of WotC.

No, no, i defenitly don't like WotC.
but i'm sure if something happens to D&D, it is the first to jump out the boat.

Toughts?

Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  14:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If WotC doesn't want D&D anymore, there will be another who takes over the flag and carries on.
There will always be another who smells profit..

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  00:44:56  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was reading again what i put, i really like the automatic corrector which put some * instead of your insult.
It just made me a good laugh.

does it work again?
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, fine, you are getting paranoid! Is that what you wanna hear ya psyco? huh?(j/k I dont know)
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  03:23:05  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in this moment, is turning in internet the rumor like Hasbro is ready to sell WotC, and certainly in several peaces... so that's mean that TSR will probably be sold alone. But who do you think is able to buy it now?
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  07:46:15  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Dunno, your guess is as good as mine, I would like to buy it!(hey, I can dream can't I?)
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  04:40:42  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be frank, i'm not sure about the future of TSR. it seems that it's gonna float during a moment, but who knows?
Don't wait to much about what could go out in the following months...
Go to Top of Page

Fynn Céldor
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  18:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Fynn Céldor's Homepage Send Fynn Céldor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

B.S.
I know exctly why.
D&D is still(and probably always be) controversial, all the religious bull**** claims that it is a tool of the Devil and all that crap, it has been like this since D&D was created, so they wont bring that topic up, because it stirs way too much crap up, thats exactly why!
The Great Drizzt
(Loyal AD&D player to the end, no matter what people say!)

i whole heartedly agree with the great drizzt. you know they sell all kinds of 'immoral' things all through out the bible belt. plus i go through discrimination everyday because of the fr titled books i read when i have free time in school. yes, i go to a christian school..

spirit. it is the hero's strength, the mother's resilieance, and the poor man's armor. it cannot be broken, and it cannot be taken away. this i must believe.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  07:13:24  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactally! So you can see the truth too huh? When I was living with my mom(Yep, of course shes a christian) she tried playing that bull-crap with me too, but I just told her to "shut the hell up, have you ever played the game, huh? I did'nt think so, so let me play my damned game!!!!!!", so no one is ever gonna stop me from playing my favorite game.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  14:34:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, lets stay away from discussing or commenting in this fashion on real world religion. Besides being not really relevant to the forum, it has a tendency to upset and insult people who come here to enjoy their hobby regardless of creed/race/sex/etc. Lets respect that and keep religious discussions to the religions of the Forgotten Realms.

ps. Not getting paranoid here. Just want to prevent the discussion from getting worse.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2002 :  06:32:42  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, no one else is posting in here, so I figured I would at least answer the guy back.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  22:18:02  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

you want some bad news?
Stan!
Jeff Grubb
Penny Williams
Skip Williams
JD Wiker
Rich Redman
Sean Glenn

and 97 other designers from the 3rd edition got fired...

Looking back it was not the best of things to do.
With 5th it seems as if they are trying not to make the same booboos

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  22:58:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy carp, talk about thread necromancy! I think this is the oldest resurrected thread I've seen!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  23:04:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking the same thing. Except the carp; that's all you.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  23:07:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A paranoid carp?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  23:08:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. A reanimated paranoid carp. I get it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000