Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ithmong in Tethyr and Lapaliiya
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  20:35:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I'm trying to explain this one and not succeeding.

-6800: The cities of Memnon and Artrimmar are founded in Memnonnar (modern Tethyr/Calimshan)
-307: Artrimmar is conquered by Tethyr and renamed Myratma.
-293: Calimaronn is conquered by Tethyr and renamed Ithmong.
-230: Calimshan retakes (and probably renames) Ithmong and Myratma.
-221: Tethyr retakes Ithmong.
-212: Tethyr retakes Myratma.
That in itself is clear. As I understand it, Ithmong was renamed Darromar when Haedrak III and Zaranda Star restored the Tethyrian monarchy. What is *not* clear is why a port on the coast of Lapaliiya is named Ithmong. Maybe it was founded by Tethyrian expatriates who left in or shortly after -230... but the city was retaken nine years later, so that's hardly enough time for enough people to leave to establish a new city. Any thoughts?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  00:12:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are lots of potential explanations for this ... but they would all be *ahem* made up. I think a query to Ed would be the best solution.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  00:28:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering Calimshan's expansionist policies, and their direct influence upon Lapaliya, it could be that the Lapaliyan City of Ithmong was built as a joint-effort of Calishites and Lapaliyans, much as Tashluta was. The city could have been named 'New Ithmong' (a popular naming convention by empires), and at a later time the 'New' was dropped, probably after the original Ithmong fell into Tethyrian hands.

If you consider how many variations of 'Alexander' were used by Alexander the Great when he named his cities (which must have been confusing as hell to the citizens of the empire), having just two cities with the same name doesn't seem so far-fetched.

I've found much more confounding things in the histories - like the fact that the ruins of Ammathtar have two completely different histories, and supposedly belonged to two different nations!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2008 07:27:44
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  03:38:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay has it precisely correct in his post, above.
Both in origins, and the "New Ithmong" that was later dropped (although according to Ed's notes the name was actually "Ithmonglatarr" ["alglatarr" meaning "progeny of" in a Calishite dialect]).
Calimshan did conquer but did NOT rename the other Ithmong, which was indeed where the name of the port in Lapaliiya was derived from.
This is just one of the many, many simplifications that TSR made, that left "huh?" mysteries behind once Ed's explanations went away.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  08:26:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, milady, for your confirmation and clarification. As may be apparent from my questions, I'm working on a *comprehensive* (read: nitpicky in its search for detail) timeline of the Realms, up to 1375 anyway, and my current subproject is city founding dates. As indicated here (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5069) I was unable to find a founding date for Westgate earlier than the defeat of Kisonraathiisar in -349. I have been similarly unsuccessful in determining even general time frames for the settling of the Western Heartlands, particularly Baldur's Gate and Iriaebor. I would assume that these places were settled by westward migration from Westgate, but having some specific dates for Iriaebor and Baldur's Gate would help to provide a framework for the other settlements in the area. If you or Ed could enlighten me on this niggling little detail, it would be much appreciated. Thanks to you both in advance, and thanks to Ed for sharing his wondrous creation with the rest of us.

On a related note: Where do I find the information on Calimshan's settlement of/colonization of/influence on its southern neighbours? The particular cities in question are not detailed in the Shining South hardcover, and all of my 1st/2nd edition material is in storage in another city at the moment. Thank you all again for any enlightenment you can provide on this matter.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Sep 2008 22:46:46
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see to recall, at a long-ago (Milwaukee) GenCon seminar, Ed saying Baldur's Gate was founded by human seafarers sailing north from the Shining Sea area.
So that would make your assumption about B-G being settled by humans moving west from Westgate wrong (and leaves Iriaebor's settlement a big question mark, too).
But of course the lovely Lady Hooded has the pipeline to our Esteemed God of the Realms, who one hopes will provide the definitive reply for us all.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  22:57:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True... if B-G was settled by Amnians, Tethyrians, Calishites, or others sailing up the coast, then its founding date is wide open, given the duration of human habitation of Calimshan, and the other cities of the Western Heartlands (Triel, Elturel, Scornubel, Berdusk, Iriaebor, etc) could have been settled by immigration from either east or west, making their founding dates entirely open to conjecture without definitive answers from Ed and the Lady Hooded. I'm not averse to making it up, which is fortunate as it has become a necessity for me due to recent events. I have tentatively set the date of Westgate's founding by the dragon at -516 (the Year of Winds Westward, a prophetically appropriate year, I thought).

Either way, I look forward to a reply from our lovely Lady Hooded, until which time I will proceed with future history events.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Sep 2008 02:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  04:11:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just another thought on the original Ithmong query... why would Calimshan keep the name "Ithmong" (being, as it is, derived from the name of an enemy general who bested them)? My alternative hypothesis (which, as it deviates from Ed's explanation, is *definitely* not canon) is that residents of Ithmong under initial Tethyrian rule left, frustrated with their nation's inability to form a stable and cohesive government, and migrated to Lapaliiya, founding Ithmonglatarr, whose name is derived from Chondathan(?), not Alzhedo. The sociology of my explanation seems more consistent, but the linguistics of Ed's also seems more plausible... I'll leave this to others to critique.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  07:48:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the stuff about the southern regions Calimshan 'interacted' with can be found in Serpent Kingdoms, believe it or not (much of the Chultan penninsula is/was dominated by the Yua-ti).

There was a nice piece done concerning a brief war between Calimshan and Mulhorand, over some Sharran territory, long ago (although that is not canon, it makes loads of sense). It was in a thread at WotC by a guy who updated all of the Old Empires material for 3e (LEoF was adequate, but he got into all the details that tome didn't have the room for).

Can't find the thread anymore, but I put all the info into a word file (it was worth it - he put a lot of thought into stuff).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2008 07:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  09:19:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of getting a copy of that file by e-mail, Markustay?

Oh... and while I'm thinking of it, do you recall where those conflicting descriptions of Ammathtar were? If not, nbd; I'm just curious. I can't refer to 95% of my 1E and 2E sources anyway; I only have the stuff I could download as PDF from the Wizards site. It's too bad they don't change up the files available; I'm tired of seeing the Maztica stuff there, and I'd love to be able to download FRA or the original Grey Box or Kara-Tur box. Anyway, hopefully some day soon I'll get the rest of my Realms hardcopy relocated to me... it would be nice to have a month to spend in Ed's basement too, as much as he might try to claim otherwise.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Sep 2008 09:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  03:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Oh... and while I'm thinking of it, do you recall where those conflicting descriptions of Ammathtar were?

Hey Jakk, I was just looking at the Ammathtar stuff and wrote up what I found in the scroll Markustay had opened about the city earlier.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  09:24:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link! I hate not having my 1E/2E sources... [/whine]

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  12:41:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm busy collecting as much lore on the realms as i can and noticed a mention of an old empires document that updates the whole thing rather nicely.

Was wondering Markustay if you still have that word document and if so could i have a copy, the old empires could really do with some detail.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  14:14:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I lost that in the fire, and I have not been able to find that thread again. The online copy (thread) was lost 'to the æthers' when they updated their (WotC) website to that horrid lime-green affair.

If ANYONE has that, I would truly appreciate a copy myself - it was VERY well thought-out and written. I could really use that 'small war' between Calimshan and Mulhorand for the project I am currently working on (I HATE to contradict other scribes' work, especially when it was so well done).

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Oct 2013 14:16:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000