Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do female dwarves have a beard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  10:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I assume they do but they shave or keep it short or sport only sideburns. Am I correct?

Zzdtri
Acolyte

Croatia
27 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  11:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Zzdtri's Homepage Send Zzdtri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun says that some shield, gold and urdunnir females have beards ("long, carefully groomed beards and mustaches"). As far as duergar and wild dwarves are concerned, there isn't any description of females of those races having beards.

I only checked RoF, however there might be different information in other/older books.

Haley: Hey wait a minute, aren't dark elves evil?

Nale: Oh, my, no. Not since they became a player race. Now the whole species consists of nothing but chaotic good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin.

Haley: What are the scimitars for?

ZZ'dtri: They're standard issue.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  12:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Dwarves Deep mentions it.

In Elaine Cunningham's novel Thornhold there are some cute descriptions of dwarven behaviour and particularly females with beards (there's a dwarven wedding ceremony).
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  12:31:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

I assume they do but they shave or keep it short or sport only sideburns. Am I correct?

It used to be that Dwarven women have beards. I think it is mentioned in Dwarves Deep. Certainly the depictions of the Dwarven goddesses in Demihuman Deities show them bearded. (And very funny it looks too.) If I recall correctly (why am I always having my lunch-break at work when I would most like to check my books?) later books make little mention of this and certainly the artwork in 3E does not show this.

In my own setting, Dwarven numbers are low because their fertility is low, most females are sterile and are bearded due to a lack of oestragen and a bit of testosterone (I think those are the right terms). Fertile dwarves, both male and female, are few and are called elders. They are rarely seen by outsiders. That's my own take though.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  12:39:01  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of women with beards Lord Flashheart gives his opinion

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  14:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have been downplaying it for years, but yes dwarven women may have beards. Not all do of course.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  14:51:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the 3E Campaign Setting:

quote:
Some female dwarves of Faerūn can grow beards, too, often passing as males among the nondwarves of the surface lands. Dwarven women may choose to shave their beards to match human-style expectations of beauty, while others glory in luxurious plaited beards that match their hair or wear sharply cut goatees.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 27 Aug 2008 14:52:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  15:26:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the original lore, it's noted that only a few female Shield Dwarves shave, including the presence of beards on dwarven females. Aside from the FRCS, Races of Faerūn also claims that only a few are bearded. Ed's also discussed this somewhat in past replies here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  17:25:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Brian said.

The RoF book basically leaves it up to you weather they do or not, and I believe in 4e none of them do anymore.

IMG, I just say that certain clans tend towards it, and others do not. The Dwarves of the Moonshaes is the only Dwarven Kingdom wherein the females predominantly sport beards (as per MY homebrew, to keep it consistent with the novels - everyone else can do what they want).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  17:55:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They tend to be hairy ...and if they want to they may have a beard...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Seainna Mistwalker
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  08:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Seainna Mistwalker's Homepage Send Seainna Mistwalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that some do, though I'd say its a very unpopular choice within actual game play. As a player generating a personality, or a DM using an NPC who's time "in game" will extend beyond just one scene.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  17:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I see it:
1e & 2e: 100% bearded
3e: Less than 50% bearded
4e: 0% bearded (I think this was covered in Wizards Presents: Races and Classes

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  18:51:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another possible take is that females, as a result of the Thunder Blessing, are no longer bearded. So after a hundred years, all the younger ones will be beardless now (in 4e).

Not that there is any canon reason for that what-so-ever, but we could always say since most of the Pantheons have been merged, and Moradin was always Gond, perhaps the Dwarven deity decided he kinda like the clean-shaven look of the other race's females.

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

They tend to be hairy ...

So, if Dwarven Males are always represented as being Scottish, does this mean the females were French?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Aug 2008 19:05:03
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  00:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seainna Mistwalker

My understanding is that some do, though I'd say its a very unpopular choice within actual game play.

Yeah, I have to admit, if I made a dwarven female I don't think I'd want to give her a beard, or any other masculine facial hair. I really do like the look of the 4E dwarf females.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Yuen
Acolyte

Austria
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  03:36:23  Show Profile Send Yuen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you might want to google "Playdwarf" for a disturbing image of dwarven nudity that shows why female dwarfs shouldn't have beards

Edited by - Yuen on 29 Aug 2008 03:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Seainna Mistwalker
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  04:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Seainna Mistwalker's Homepage Send Seainna Mistwalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin I really do like the look of the 4E dwarf females.

Seconded.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  09:42:05  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Moradin was always Gond,

*spits out tea* Yet more reasons to dislike $E. I really don't like this idea of deities masquerading as other deities. I can see how as a one-off it is OK and makes for an interesting story but as a wholesale policy it has very little appeal to me.

Now I know people will say, "If you don't like it, don't buy into it!"
Which is exactly what I intend to do.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  09:42:41  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seainna Mistwalker

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin I really do like the look of the 4E dwarf females.

Seconded.

Are there any on-line pictures of $E dwarves?

Edit: No need to reply to this answer, Yuen.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 29 Aug 2008 09:43:31
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Are there any on-line pictures of $E dwarves?

You should find some on wizards.com.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  18:20:06  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

You should find some on wizards.com.

You know, it's uncanny, but I did think to visit there. But I couldn't find anything. I looked at the art galleries and specifically at the Races and Classes but didn't identify anything. It was mostly pencil sketches which didn't mean much on a page of thumbnails. Are the art galleries for the $E books on-line yet?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  18:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look in the miniatures galleries for the dwarf shieldmaiden in the most recent set. She kind of gives the vibe. Also, if you want to download the Forgotten Realms appendix to H2 that's free from Dungeon Magazine, there's a nice picture of a female duergar swordmage.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  18:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, it's uncanny, but I did think to visit there. But I couldn't find anything. I looked at the art galleries and specifically at the Races and Classes but didn't identify anything. It was mostly pencil sketches which didn't mean much on a page of thumbnails. Are the art galleries for the $E books on-line yet?

I don't know, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to look through the Races and Classes preview book or the Core rulebooks and look at some of the dwarf pictures in there.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  19:58:13  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point, I would like to point out that I don't have a thing for female dwarves. I'll look at the miniatures gallery. (I've not signed up for D&D Insider since I assume they'll want my credit card details before long.)

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Leon_Stryfe
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  23:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Leon_Stryfe's Homepage Send Leon_Stryfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not directly tied to FR, Races of Stone implies that only the men have beards. Page 7, pargraph 1 states, "...dwarves prize their hair, whether it be on their scalps (for both genders) or on their faces (for the males)". Now, whether or not this means that the females are incapable of growing facial hair, or if it's just socialy unacceptable, I can only guess.

Also, while I don't have it on me (I'll have to check and report my findings Monday), I don't recall the females being bearded in the Demihuman Deities 2nd Ed. supplement.

You ask me what I crave above all things? Knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Yuen
Acolyte

Austria
22 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  01:01:21  Show Profile Send Yuen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leon_Stryfe

Also, while I don't have it on me (I'll have to check and report my findings Monday), I don't recall the females being bearded in the Demihuman Deities 2nd Ed. supplement.

yes they are. The priestesses of Marthammor Duin, Deep Duerra, Berronar Truesilver and Haela Brightaxe are all bearded, though much less than their male counterparts. The only beardless one is the priestess of Sharindlar.

Still, I think it looks kinda wrong to put a beard on women.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  01:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There you are: they aren't women, they're female dwarves. And most of them are proudly bearded in Oerth and Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  02:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, hey, Kiaransalyn! Check this out, here's a 4E dwarf woman in a "non-credit card" space at wizards.com--looks like it was just posted in the last day or two. Linkety link link.

(I actually like that duergar pic I told you about a little better, and I didn't have to enter any cc info to do the initial DDI signup, but I understand your misgivings--maybe somebody you know can <ahem> tell you about it in great detail.)

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  04:01:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think beards on dwarven females have been played down or removed simply because a lot of people can't imagine a bearded woman as being attractive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  07:11:56  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Oh, hey, Kiaransalyn! Check this out, here's a 4E dwarf woman in a "non-credit card" space at wizards.com--looks like it was just posted in the last day or two. Linkety link link.

Thanks for that. That's what I wanted to see.

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe(I actually like that duergar pic I told you about a little better, and I didn't have to enter any cc info to do the initial DDI signup, but I understand your misgivings--maybe somebody you know can <ahem> tell you about it in great detail.)

Thank you. Mummy's told me not to play with credit cards.

Actually, as I understand it DDI is free at the moment but it's going to move to a charged service at some point down the line.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  07:13:37  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think beards on dwarven females have been played down or removed simply because a lot of people can't imagine a bearded woman as being attractive.

It's all just a question of ale really. Just as it is assumed that all dwarves speak with comedy Scottish accents, it's equally assumed that they like a drop or two of quaffage [1]. Now we know why.

1. Beer

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  16:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's all just a question of ale really. Just as it is assumed that all dwarves speak with comedy Scottish accents, it's equally assumed that they like a drop or two of quaffage [1]. Now we know why.

1. Beer

No no... dwarves have Australian accents! At least, in one of the best campaigns a friend ran, they did. It was hilarious, but by the end, it actually sort of made some sort of strange sense.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000