Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Martial Arts in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clangeddin's Path

'Mrinding Clangeddin' (lit. 'Climbing Towards Clangeddin')
(Gold Dwarf Regular Army Style)

14 points

Like all other crafts, dwarves approach the business of warfare with pragmatism and careful attention to detail, often over several decades or centuries. Those dwarves which dedicate themselves to warfare as their primary profession serve an apprenticeship fully as long and involved as those of their brethren who become mining engineers or weaponsmiths. It is not until at least thirty years have been spent as an apprentice that a dwarf is considered a journeyman warrior, or as they are called in the army, Axebrother.

This incredible length of study, combined with the dwarven desire to excel in their fields, leads to each soldier being skilled at most aspects of dwarven warcraft. The style given here would be learnt as a minimum and it would be unusual for dwarven soldiers to have less than skill 13-14 at most of the primary skills, with at least one or two skills being higher than that.

The style gives equal weight to crossbow training and melee capabilities, with the front rank forming a barrier of shields in either case. Dwarves are not naturally good shots, so great training is necessary to produce useful effects from a unit of dwarven crossbowmen. Most often, the weapon is used for volleys at enemy units while waiting for an opportunity for melee or for defence of a prepared position.

Throwing axes are used prior to a charge or when receiving a charge by the enemy. The usual practice is to hurl the smaller axes at close range while holding the spears in the shield hand and switch just before impact.

The shield is held strongly forward and used for shoves, Beats, Sweeps (with the appropriate Perk) and slams. Axework is done in close, when the shield has rendered the opponent off-balance. Spears are used from the rear ranks or if the enemy is composed of larger beings than the dwarves, such as Ogres or trolls.

Skills: Axe/Mace; Crossbow; Fast-Draw (Arrow); Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace); Savoir-Faire (Military); Shield; Judo; Soldier; Spear; Sumo Wrestling; Tactics; Throw Axe/Mace; Wrestling.
Techniques: Armed Grapple (Shield); Arm Lock; Choke Hold; Close-Combat (Axe/Mace); Counterattack (Any); Feint (Shield); Low Fighting (Any); Retain Weapon (Axe/Mace or Spear); Shove (Shield); Sweep (Spear or Sumo Wrestling); Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Arm); Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Neck); Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Skull); Targeted Attack (Crossbow Shot/Face); Targeted Attack (Crossbow Shot/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Shield Slam/Face); Targeted Attack (Shield Slam/Leg); Targeted Attack (Spear Thrust/Face); Targeted Attack (Spear Thrust/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Spear Thrust/Vitals Chinks); Testudo (Soldier); Trip.
Cinematic Skills: Immovable Stance; Kiai; Mental Strength; Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Dual Weapon Attack (Axe/Mace, Shield or Spear), Dual Weapon Defence.
Perks: Armour Familitarity; Grip Mastery (Axe/Mace or Spear); Quick-Swap (Axe/Mace or Spear); Shield-Wall Training; Shoves and Tackles; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Sure-Footed (Slippery); Style Familitarity (Any Gold Dwarven); Style Adaptation (Any Gold Dwarven); Teamwork (Any Gold Dwarven), Technique Mastery (Shield Feint); Technique Mastery (Shield Shove); Weapon Adaptation (Shield with Sumo Wrestling).

Optional Traits

Secondary Characteristics: Improved FP, HP and/or Will
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; Enhanced Block; Fearlessness; Fit or Very Fit; Hard to Kill; High Pain Threshold; Military Rank, Weapon Master.
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Dwarven); Duty (Dwarven Army); Overconfidence; Sense of Duty (Dwarves), Vow (Never retreat from battle).
Skills: Artillery (Catapult); Brawling; Climbing; Engineering (Military); Expert Skill (Hoplology); Expert Skill (Military Science); Fast-Draw (Knife); First-Aid; Forced Entry; Gunner (Ballista); Hiking; History (Clan or Great Rift Military History); Intimidate; Karate; Knife; Leadership; Lifting; Operations; Shortsword; Strategy; Survival (Underground); Tactics; Two-Handed Axe/Mace.
Techniques: Hammer Fist; Targeted Attack (Brawling or Karate Punch/Face); Targeted Attack (Hammer Fist/Face).

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  07:17:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, everything you've done here is amazing -.

Am I to understand the 'points' you refer to in each entry are for use with the Gurps system?

I have a concept for special styles for certain races that take advantage of that races natural abilities. For instance, a four-armed race could learn to wield special two-handed martial arts weapons on each side (rather then upper and lower arms handling one each). The maneuvers would be similar to the horizontal position normally used, but it would be devasting in any sort of 'whirlwind' attack style. Of course, Four pairs of Nunchuks would be out of the question.

Unless he wanted to tie himself in knots....

I first got this idea when I was trying to come up with some new fantasy weapons for the kara-Tur project I'm working on (making FR's 'Eastern' lands less derivitive then it was presented in 2e). I had an idea for Nunchuks (I just love those) that had blades for handles, but then I immediately realized how self-destructive that would be....

Unless the wielder was a troll, or a Vampire... or anything else with some sort of regeneration. Like Wolverine's claws, it would cause damage to the weilder, but would heal almost as quickly as it occurred, and the damage to an opponent would be spectacular.

Also, a great many monstrous humanoids have claws and even bite attacks, and since these creatures are intelligent, it would make sense if more civilized groups developed their own martial arts based around their own peculiar anatomy.

Just imagine how devastating a well-trained cavalry of Centaurs would be, especially if they were taught how to fight like the Trojans (throw spears, until the enemy was clse enough to engage with sword & board). The fact that they could add their charge to a spears momentum would be incredible (better then an atl-atl, I would imagine), and they could also pull back quicker then most oponents could persue, making them the ultimate in 'Hit & Run' tactics.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2008 07:23:32
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  16:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So far, everything you've done here is amazing -.

Thank you. Still, a lot of work remains to be done.

quote:

Am I to understand the 'points' you refer to in each entry are for use with the Gurps system?

It is so, yes. These represent the minimum point investment in the primary skills of the style in order for a character to 'know' the style. In practise, some of these styles are employed by characters who train for decades and therefore spend much more than this minimum amount.

quote:

I have a concept for special styles for certain races that take advantage of that races natural abilities. For instance, a four-armed race could learn to wield special two-handed martial arts weapons on each side (rather then upper and lower arms handling one each). The maneuvers would be similar to the horizontal position normally used, but it would be devasting in any sort of 'whirlwind' attack style.

Well, the normal two-handed grip has many defensive advantages that would be lost with such a grip, but with two weapons, maybe it's worth it.

If I had four arms and could move them somewhat independently, I'd have shields on both sides, and a sword and spear in the other arms.

quote:

Of course, Four pairs of Nunchuks would be out of the question.

Unless he wanted to tie himself in knots....

I first got this idea when I was trying to come up with some new fantasy weapons for the kara-Tur project I'm working on (making FR's 'Eastern' lands less derivitive then it was presented in 2e). I had an idea for Nunchuks (I just love those) that had blades for handles, but then I immediately realized how self-destructive that would be....

Swordchuks are frequently used as a joking example of the kind of sillyness that fantasy authors and game designers like to invent without ever having held a sword.

However, it's not like D&D doesn't have plenty of untenable weapons, so if you'd like to add a few more, it won't break anything (except possibly suspension of disbelief). In any event, D&D rules de-emphasise the weapon used in favour of character level and abilities.

quote:

Unless the wielder was a troll, or a Vampire... or anything else with some sort of regeneration. Like Wolverine's claws, it would cause damage to the weilder, but would heal almost as quickly as it occurred, and the damage to an opponent would be spectacular.

Most creatures with regeneration also have enough strength to be able to seriously hurt themselves if they start swinging swordchuks around.

quote:

Also, a great many monstrous humanoids have claws and even bite attacks, and since these creatures are intelligent, it would make sense if more civilized groups developed their own martial arts based around their own peculiar anatomy.

Fortunately, that's easy to implement in GURPS and there are already Lizard Man arts in existence. It's no trouble to adapt them to most clawed humanoids with bite attacks.

quote:

Just imagine how devastating a well-trained cavalry of Centaurs would be, especially if they were taught how to fight like the Trojans (throw spears, until the enemy was clse enough to engage with sword & board). The fact that they could add their charge to a spears momentum would be incredible (better then an atl-atl, I would imagine), and they could also pull back quicker then most oponents could persue, making them the ultimate in 'Hit & Run' tactics.

Why throw the spears? Seems to me that they'd be much better off fighting with spears and shields and have the sword as a sidearms (much like all historical Greek formations).

Holding the spear like a lance makes their initial charge all the more powerful and if you want them to hurl something on the way, they can carry a couple of javelins for that duty.

But hurling something at a dead run, without slowing or stopping afterwards, seems like a very imprecise science. They could perhaps aim at an enemy formation, but not at individual troops.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  05:29:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome thread! I will definitely have to use some of these.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  05:49:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tinker gnomes of arcane space practice a little-known martial art called "hamster fu." It mostly involves throwing miniature giant space hamsters at opponents.

It's little known because few of its practitioners live long enough to teach it to others, and those who witness hamster fu attacks assume it's some desparate maneuver on the gnome's part!

There are a few who have fallen to the attacks of a hamster fu practitioner, however... Mostly because they could not stop laughing!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Feb 2011 05:52:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  06:24:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The tinker gnomes of arcane space practice a little-known martial art called "hamster fu." It mostly involves throwing miniature giant space hamsters at opponents.

It's little known because few of its practitioners live long enough to teach it to others, and those who witness hamster fu attacks assume it's some desparate maneuver on the gnome's part!

There are a few who have fallen to the attacks of a hamster fu practitioner, however... Mostly because they could not stop laughing!

Actually, the tinker gnomes in my Realms practice "gear-fu" -- the ancient art of assaulting your opponent with the unpronounceable names of gnomish technical forms and confusing them with the apparent wisdom of tinker-theory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  07:08:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a gnome who practices stumble-fu. It's the art of clumsily tripping on things and dropping whatever combustible materials he happens to be holding, to the detriment of everyone around him.....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  13:25:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Legendary practisioners are said to be capable of striking powerful axe blows even when unarmed, even severing goblin heads from their shoulders with the side of their hand."

Phenomenal work. Perfect! Good find. I really need to delve into the more dusty recesses of the 'Keep more often. I wonder what ever became of the good Sage Icelander? Precisely what I was looking for. I've got some copy/pasting to do when I get home. I am unfamiliar with GURPS, but I can sure use these fluffy bits. This is just what I need to exterminate the infestation of elves plaguing my campaign recently.

*judo chops wimpy elven Bladesinger*

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  17:50:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I have a human monk/wiz who did that to a hobgoblin....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  20:53:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stumble-Fu, Gear-Fu, and Hamster-Fu. (we need a ROFLMAO smiley)

All ones I would use, but the Hamster-Fu really got me thinking (I used to own hamsters... back before the great hamster revolt of '77).

Hamsters, like most rodents, appear almost 'boneless' in their ability to squeeze through and under small spaces. I know a magician (used to do the music for his act) who uses doves, and you'd be amazed at how small those things can 'fold-up' (he used to have a dozen stashed about his person).

Now apply that to Gnomes, who are known for prestidigitation (non-magical illusions) - thats BRILLIANT!

The art was so successful (the opponents rolling on the floor with laughter were easily overcome), that it lead to the development of the giant hamsterpult, the Hamster-thrower (like an atl-atl), and the hamster handbow (there is even a 5-shot repeater, but loading the cartridges can lead to infectious bites).

On a more Serious Note:
I can see illithids using pressure-point techniques, like those used in Liang Yi. Probably Githzerai as well (and one would have learned it from the other).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Feb 2011 20:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  17:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any ideas on what the drow might use?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  19:08:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spider-fu? The art of flinging spiders at your opponent to make them run around and scream like little girls......

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  22:58:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I can see illithids using pressure-point techniques, like those used in Liang Yi. Probably Githzerai as well (and one would have learned it from the other)."

Great idea, Markus. I first encountered a Mind-Flayer Monk in the excellent adventure, Bright Mountain King by Caine Chandler from Dungeon #142. I never really considered the Illithids to be a martial race although the Illithiad and Unveiled had some interesting ideas. I think it very apropos for an Illithid to use the the "death touch" to incapacitate their foes by manipulating their nervous system, ki, chi, whatever.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Feb 2011 22:58:59
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  04:34:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gith favour two-handed swords, rarely fight with two weapons, and never use a shield. I suspect they'd be able to employ their off-hand for spellcasting and psionics during combat, similar to the original 2E bladesinger. They quite likely have a gith equivalent to the elven bladesong style, though likely with greater emphasis on results than appearance.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  13:59:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the aforementioned Mindflayer Monk added telekinetic strikes to its repertoire? Some sort of Invisible Palm technique. Is there any lore, feats, etc. to support such a thing?

edit: spelling

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Feb 2011 21:52:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  10:07:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, there's a certain appeal to using sharpened gnomish gears as shuriken.

I have some curious queries about Markus's 4-armed fighting styles. Four 1-handed weapons? Two 1-handed weapons and two shields? Two 2-handed weapons? How about a mighty 4-handed sword? Do each of these styles require a different feat/proficiency? Ambidexterity? Quartidexterity? Multidexterity?

I'm thinkin' a 9' tall four-armed sahaugin warrior decked out with weapon specialization and four scimitars of speed would gain a devastating number of attacks. In theory.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Feb 2011 10:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  16:55:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch. 'Nuff said.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Y'know, there's a certain appeal to using sharpened gnomish gears as shuriken.

I have some curious queries about Markus's 4-armed fighting styles. Four 1-handed weapons? Two 1-handed weapons and two shields? Two 2-handed weapons? How about a mighty 4-handed sword? Do each of these styles require a different feat/proficiency? Ambidexterity? Quartidexterity? Multidexterity?

I'm thinkin' a 9' tall four-armed sahaugin warrior decked out with weapon specialization and four scimitars of speed would gain a devastating number of attacks. In theory.

I recall a feat in a Monster Manual 3E that gives multi-weapon fighting feat for creatures with more than 2 arms. I forget the name of the feat, but it does exist.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  18:39:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an idea long-ago of creating special weapons that would synchronize with various monster's abilities.

Non-Canon:
I had a set of four nunchuks in my HB K-T material, which were known as 'Trollchuks'. The 'sticks' were actually blades in a star-pattern (like two 2-sided blades intersecting each other), which would do 3pts. of damage per round to the user (which, of course, is completely offset by trollish regeneration). They did brutal damage, but were nearly impossible to use by creatures without regeneration.

They were crafted by a very evil Wujen who had several trolls under his commend (he lived in a swamp), and was trying to create an elite fighting force of Trollish martial Artists (which failed miserably, because they don't have enough discipline, and ate him the first chance they got). His one claim to fame were the Trollchuks.

One is still used by a troll in Faerūn, another is in-use by an Eastern vampire, and a third is being used by a Genie in Zakhara. The fourth was lost somewhere in the Hordelands.

Recently, a four-armed troll named Sirron took possession of the one in Faerūn (after killing its previous owner), and learned of the other three through a swamp-hag. He is currently trying to track them down so he can use all four at once (although how he thinks he can accomplish such a feat is a mystery). Although the chances of his success are extremely slim - in both the pursuit, and being able to use them efficiently - the thought of such a whirling engine of death is frightening indeed.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Feb 2011 18:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  19:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I wonder what ever became of the good Sage Icelander?

Perhaps he wandered off somewhere? Lost among the stacks of old scrolls?

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  02:27:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha! Good to see you back, Icelander! Pleased I am to make your acquaintance. I've read this scroll several times. Excellernt work! I've wondered if you ever finished the two-handed great axe style you alluded to?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  02:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brother Greataxe

'Samman Auraukuld' (lit. 'Kin of the Great Axe')
(Gold Dwarf Elite Forces Style)

4 points

The strongest and most capable dwarves in the military of the Great Rift are often selected into the elite ducal bodyguard or other prestigious organisations. It is said that among the dwarves, there exist religious offices similar to the knighthood in human land, but far more secretive and mysterious. These dwarven defenders have already finished their apprenticeship in Clangeddin's Path and are deadly fighters all, hardened in battles stretching over at least five decades.

Several different styles exist among such elites, with some choosing to retain the shield and axe combination they are used to and others welcoming the challenge of mastering a new weapon. This style uses a wide-bladed axe on a long pole, with a wicked poll and a long sharp spike on the front. It uses the stats for a duelling halberd, but the dwarves know it as a Soulforged Greataxe. Each weapon is crafted with infinite care and from the best materials and often imbued with the magic of the dwarven gods.

The style utilises the long pole as a parrying surface, instead of the more typical dwarven shield. As such, practisioners often shield themselves behind lines of shield troops if missiles are flying, but are quick to place themselves in harm's way once melee is joined. The style utilises many spinning strikes that are hard to defend against, to take advantage of the high skill level of these elite troops compared to their likely opponents.

Attack manuevers are common, Committed Attack or All-out Attack less so, as the style assumes that the practisioner is outnumbered and on the battlefield. Defensive thrusts are sometimes used against dangerous foes and if facing few, but powerful opponents, the stylist may swing with a Committed Attack to a vulnerable location.

Skills: Parry Missile Weapons; Polearm; Staff.
Techniques: Armed Grapple (Polearm); Arm Lock; Beat; Choke Hold; Close-Combat (Polearm or Staff); Counterattack (Polearm or Staff); Feint (Polearm or Staff); Low Fighting (Polearm or Staff); Retain Weapon (Polearm or Staff); Reverse Grip (Polearm or Staff); Spinning Strike (Polearm or Staff); Sweep (Polearm or Staff); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Arm); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Neck); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Skull); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Face); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals Chinks).
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Immovable Stance; Kiai; Mental Strength; Power Blow; Precognitive Parry.
Cinematic Techniques: Dual Weapon Defence; Timed Defence (Polearm or Staff); Whirlwind Attack (Polearm or Staff).
Perks: Form Mastery (Duelling Halberd); Grip Mastery (Polearm); Huge Weapons (ST); Shoves and Tackles; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Sure-Footed (Slippery); Style Familitarity (Any Gold Dwarven); Style Adaptation (Any Gold Dwarven); Teamwork (Any Gold Dwarven), Technique Mastery (Feint); Technique Mastery (Spinning Strike).

Optional Traits

As for Clangeddin's Path, plus:

Advantages: Arm ST; Danger Sense; Enhanced Parry; Lifting ST.
Skills: Axe/Mace
Techniques: Any Technique for Polearm is also available for Axe/Mace.
Perks: Weapon Bond.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  02:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Ha Ha! Good to see you back, Icelander! Pleased I am to make your acquaintance. I've read this scroll several times. Excellernt work! I've wondered if you ever finished the two-handed great axe style you alluded to?

Oh, yes, I did.

It is now posted, for your enjoyment.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  03:12:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icelander, thanks for that. I love it. Sorry it took me so long to reply I've had no 'net.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  15:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After some years I've play, I've made a Word-file with what martial art styles have come up. The crunch, such as it is, is in GURPS terms, but that only means a list of the skills and techniques used with the styles. The lore ought to be usable, that is, if people keep in mind that it's from my home campaign and that new lore there is written by me, not Ed.

I can e-mail the file to interested parties.

Dwarven and elven styles aren't incorporated into the file yet. Probably ought to be, but sorry, aren't.

Edited by - Icelander on 16 Nov 2011 15:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

After some years I've play, I've made a Word-file with what martial art styles have come up. The crunch, such as it is, is in GURPS terms, but that only means a list of the skills and techniques used with the styles. The lore ought to be usable, that is, if people keep in mind that it's from my home campaign and that new lore there is written by me, not Ed.

I can e-mail the file to interested parties.

Dwarven and elven styles aren't incorporated into the file yet. Probably ought to be, but sorry, aren't.

I'll wait for the elven styles to be implemented...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  17:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a PDF version that I uploaded to my Google Docs account as per Icelander's request.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  19:38:50  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Here is a PDF version that I uploaded to my Google Docs account as per Icelander's request.

Page 12 is blurry and page 13 is deadlinked on the preview panel. FYI.

Nice document other than that. I like the styles.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  05:53:24  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yoseikan Bajutsu = Bajutsu is a martial arts style of Mongolian origin that specialized in fighting techniques while on a horse. Balance was essential as the style developed because the rider had to remain in his saddle at all times while wielding swords, bows and naginatas (pole weapons). Infantry would carry long, bladed weapons that served the dual purpose of helping with a dismount and cutting off the legs of an opposing horse. Bajutsu schools taught weapons handling and horseback riding simultaneously and in conjunction with each other and it was used primarily for military purposes. It is not practiced much today but schools do exist in Belgium and Japan. "I'd like to picture out their style used by the Tuigan Hordes"

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 03 Dec 2011 05:54:28
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  15:14:19  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As per Icelander's request, here is his Realms combat styles document for your enjoyment. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aA5xABZLTLjsxklTecUe7UnU1P1M2QiLAfsjli4xTu4/edit

What's funny, Icelander, is I found the same document in PDF form on the web not too long ago. I thought it may have been here, but I can't remember.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000