Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Iyraclea?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  19:38:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, a day or two ago I wrote a bunch of lore revolving around the Warlock Knights of Vassa and posted it at the WotC. Just to give it some tie-in to the current (past?) realms, I included a little bit about Irayclea, the mistress of the Great Glacier, whom I read about in the FRCS Vassa entry.

Today I wanted to flesh things out a bit more so I did a search of her name, and guess where it lead me? Here!!! To the book-club section...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

So an author killed her off? Did they leave us anything from the FRCS to play with, or was it really written just for them to use, as I suspect?

Stuff like this just pisses me off NO END.

Anyhow, its hard to get a clear picture without reading the novels, and all I got was that she was Halruaan, had sex with some guy named Pavel, went down easy, and made a deal with Sammaster...

Anyone want to give the complete picture, so I can at least salvage what I wrote?

I could always make her a Lich....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 06:42:39

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  22:50:54  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, I didn't know she bit the bullet, either. Perhaps reports of her death have been exaggerated?

I felt similarly when Sarya Dlardrageth was clearly exterminated instead of left open; cured me of my canon fixation...which has helped prepare me for 4E FR.

What source details I-lady's demise?
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  23:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iyraclea was fully statted in the 3E Epic Level Handbook, along with the following (although vague) info:

The self-styled Ice Queen, Iyraclea lives in or beneath a castle of sculpted ice somewhere in the northern reaches of the Great Glacier. She is a mighty cleric of Auril, and embodies the Frostmaiden's fury in her relentless assaults on the people of Sossal. She is served by gelugons, called the Icy Claws of Iyraclea.

Iyraclea is said to occasionally use spells to kidnap young, vigorous wizards from Sossal and even the southern lands of Vaasa and Damara. Some speculate that she needs their life essences to prolong her own, for she does seem to be very long-lived. Perhaps she's assembling a force of wizards loyal to her or coerced into her service, or somehow channeling their spell power to extend the Great Glacier's reach once again into the Cold Lands.

Iyraclea is known for her fearsome epic spells, bearing such names as icerazor, icefist, and coldclaws.

Those three named epic spells are also statted in that book. Other than the FRCS and the ELH I'm not aware of anywhere else that she's appeared. Did she originally feature in a novel?
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  23:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also found this on the WotC website: :http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020619x
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  00:04:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She was killed off in the Rogue Dragons trilogy, so yes, she played a part in novels that came out after the FRCS and Epic Handbook.

But it's been many years since I read that trilogy. If I recall right, she exploded along with the Mythal and Sammy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Aug 2008 00:06:12
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  00:11:48  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Na-Gang: Awesome work!

Kuje: May I ask how she died? Does a DM have a way to revive her?

Thanks, guys!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  01:12:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said, it has been years but if I recall right, the main character/party of the trilogy kills her during battle before the Dragon Mythal explodes. Some of the events of that trilogy are summerized in Dragons of Faerun on page 9 to 10.

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Kuje: May I ask how she died? Does a DM have a way to revive her?

Thanks, guys!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  01:59:12  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sincere apologies, Kuje. You explained. I overlooked the last part of your post.

Thanks, Kuje!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:15:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info - I knew about the WotC article, but I had no idea she appeared in the epic book.

From what I gathered from the Book thread, she died fighting a Dracolich - are you saying thats incorrect?

What Mythal exploded, killing her and Sammaster?

I think I'm going to need to give her a few contingencies and an awaiting phylactory.

I stopped reading the novels when I heard about the events of the Lady penitent series (which, thankfully, I did not read). I think I'll just finish up the second Everis cale series and that will be it for me.

Oh... and anything by Ed or Schend.

Why do they bother putting plothooks in, if they are going to use every single one for novels?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 06:43:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:56:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iyraclea was one of Ed's original "Secrets of the Realms" (detailed in a long-ago internal TSR source document that was never for public distribution). She was the reason some glaciers protruded so far south (before TSR "rolled them back" to put Vaasa and Damara into the Realms for the Bloodstone modules and the later Bob Salvatore sourcebook). As far as I know, the Epic Level Handbook was her only publicly printed canon appearance, but we players in Ed's home campaign first heard of her decades ago.
And, yes, too many recent Realms novels have "used up" loose ends (not the fault of the authors, mind you, who need to get permission from editors to use Realms elements, or even are given the elements and told to build a plot - - for which they will subsequently need to get approval - - around them).
In the old days, Jeff Grubb and later Steven Schend and Eric Boyd always religiously followed Ed's guideline: "For every one of my loose ends you tie up or explain, create three new ones and weave them into the Realms, to keep it alive and interesting."
Pity that guideline somehow gotten forgotten or repudiated, since.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:58:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What Mythal exploded, killing her and Sammaster?

The Dragon Mythal that Sammy was using to trigger the Dragon Rage. It was created centuries ago by the elves to control the dragons during the time of the Dragons. Sammy took control of it, the party of adventurers stopped him.

That trilogy took place long before Lady Pen, probably way back in the early/mid 2k's since Dragons of Faerun came out in 2006.

As I said, it's been so long since I read that trilogy but all I recall, for sure, is that she was killed.

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Aug 2008 02:59:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  03:43:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I knew the stuff about Sammaster and the Dracorage Mythal.

I thought you were talking about some Mythal-clad city blowing-up that I never heard about - my bad.

Not having read the series (and yes, I'm pretty behind in my FR reading), I was unaware of the details surrounding the story, or of Iyraclea's involvment.

Thats Okay - that makes her new 'condition' even more interesting for what I have in mind.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  04:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has also been a long time since I've read this trilogy but if I remember correctly Iryaclea didn't even survive long enough to die in the climactic mythal-unraveling.

I remember being upset that she was more of a tool to show the power of a specific Dracolich. Kind of like a "hey look, that Dracolich just crushed an iconic epic character". You know, so the protagonists would look extra special when they bested said Dracolich.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  05:14:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

May I remind you that RLB is probably reading those posts ?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  05:16:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent trilogy bTW
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You haven't seen the last of Iyraclea...

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:33:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course not... I already brought her back.

She was much to cool to just kill-off as a plot-device.

Edit: Just noticed THO's response - must have missed it the first time through - thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Excellent trilogy bTW
I may have to look into it...

Someday...

Right now I have no desire to read any FR novels, and I tend to avoid ANY that center around dragons, Elves, or Harpers.

Yeah... I know... I just eliminated about 75% of Realms fiction that way.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 06:48:07
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  07:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay (and anyone else who was interested), if you don't have the ELH and can't find her anywhere online let me know and I'll post or message you her 3E stats.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  12:17:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

As I said, it's been so long since I read that trilogy but all I recall, for sure, is that she was killed.

She got destroyed fighting a really powerful white dracolich called Zethrindor.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  18:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided to think of "Iyraclea" as a title--makes more sense to me that way. For example, in The Ruin she is mentioned as being about 300 years old, but the GHotR has entries about Iyraclea that predate that. So, there could be more than one Iyraclea (in my opinion).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Aug 2008 18:06:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  18:14:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've decided to think of "Iyraclea" as a title--makes more sense to me that way. For example, in The Ruin she is mentioned as being about 300 years old, but the GHotR has entries about Iyraclea that predate that. So, there could be more than one Iyraclea (in my opinion).

Heh, she's the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Heh, she's the Dread Pirate Roberts.

LOL, yeah, something to that effect.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  10:16:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father prepare to die!!!!

anyway, is it possible that if it is a title, that it is given as a chosen of auril??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 06 Aug 2008 10:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  15:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

She was killed off in the Rogue Dragons trilogy, so yes, she played a part in novels that came out after the FRCS and Epic Handbook.

But where (if anywhere) had she appeared before the FRCS and the ELH?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:11:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why you asked me that cause I never said she was mentioned in sourcebooks before the FRCS/ELH. :) But I dimely recall references to her in another sourcebook from 1e or 2e. Can't recall the reference though.

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

But where (if anywhere) had she appeared before the FRCS and the ELH?

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure why you asked me that cause I never said she was mentioned in sourcebooks before the FRCS/ELH. :) But I dimely recall references to her in another sourcebook from 1e or 2e. Can't recall the reference though.

I just picked on the first wise man I could find.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:20:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, no worries. :)

But thinking about it, think that reference was just a throw away reference that was a rumor or one of the old Current Clack. (I miss those. :()

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I just picked on the first wise man I could find.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:36:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name does seem familiar to me too, Kuje, before I read (and used) her entry from the FRCS, so I would hazard to guess that there was another (brief) appearance by her in earlier lore.

I like the idea of their being more then one Iyraclea, and I also think it would be more like the Dread Pirate Roberts then a title given (by her god?).

More like the Green Goblin thing from Marvel Comics - someone finds her lair (or perhaps even kills her), takes her stuff, and adopts the name.

Could even be like a Tan Chin-style Lich thing, wherein her spirit occupies the next sentient that stumbles upon her resting place (the site where she was last destroyed). That would work, because we could get a 'new' Iyraclea every so often, and yet still have the same old powerful one as well. If that were the case, I would make this a gift of Auril (perhaps a Auril-version of Chosen-hood?), as a way of granting her Chosen mortality. Like ice, you can destroy it, but it will reform with the next bitter cold.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2008 17:36:57
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

anyway, is it possible that if it is a title, that it is given as a chosen of auril??

Well, that's what I was thinking. That said, one can do what one wants with the idea.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Aug 2008 18:48:49
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  06:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had read the Perilous Gateways article, and had read the stats write-up in the Epic Level book, but now the scribe's mental gears are clicking and clacking.

And since my group's Shared Realms of 1373 involved a rather unreliable reality-altering artifact-staff (one of the Imaskarcana), who's to say she was killed in 1373?

And as DM, I hereby snag yon plot thread to weave into my 1370 campaign of adventuring Oghman scholar-priests. Huzzahs!

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 03 Sep 2008 06:17:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000