Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Monte Cook's World of Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  17:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just found this when voting on the Ennies: Monte Cook's World of Darkness. As a fan of the Old World of Darkness (first RPG I ever played), this intrigues me because it is Monte Cook's vision of the World of Darkness with revised 3.5 rules. Also, Sean K. Reynolds worked on the project as well. Also, you can get it off Amazon for only 31.49 (instead of the 49.99 retail price).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  19:53:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already picked it up. It looks interesting, but I've not had a chance to read thru it yet -- I'm still working my way thru the mammoth tome that is Ptolus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  20:19:49  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to read Ptolus, but that artwork bothers me
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  23:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How readily can it be adapted to the real Realms? I've thought about using that "I see that you are dead people" setting from WotC, but I can't figure out how to connect it to the real Realms without a can of WD-40 to go with the shoehorn. Are Monte's wraiths more amenable? What of his mages? And are they still tied to that cockamamie Atlantean-Ascended framework or does it revert back to the original outline of the WoD?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  23:06:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Are you referring to the comic, or the campaign setting sourcebook? I was referring to the latter -- that book is over 600 pages.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  23:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After getting Elder Evils, putting in a large order (over $50) at Paizo that will go through next middle of next month (when Worlds of Their Own is published), and pre-ordering Gypsy Morph, the Pirate King, and Brisingr, I will have a fun time trying to convince my wife that I need this book soon. However, it is busy season at work (I work for an online textbook retailer), and I will be working 45-50 hours a week, so I might just be able to...

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  01:11:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being such a fan of the older Vampire and Mage games set in the WoD, I was intent on actually checking out Monte's work. And then I forgot all about it! So I appreciate the reminder Hawkins.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  01:12:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm assuming you're referring to the artwork in the main book itself. What was wrong with it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  07:25:38  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought the artwork in Ptolus is pretty good and with over 600 pages it's a good read too.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  14:00:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I tried to read Ptolus, but that arttwork bothers me

I'm assuming you're referring to the artwork in the main book itself. What was wrong with it?

yea, the big book

imho around 1/3 of the artwork is pretty good, the other half is just plain butt-ugly, e.g. the buildings
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  16:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Being such a fan of the older Vampire and Mage games set in the WoD, I was intent on actually checking out Monte's work. And then I forgot all about it! So I appreciate the reminder Hawkins.
No problem, I wish I had learned of this last year seeing as it was published during my busy season and I could have easily afforded it. Of course, about the same time it was released 4e was announced. And that event has caused no little amount of suffering for me, so it is not surprising that I didn't notice.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  19:41:52  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yea, the big book

imho around 1/3 of the artwork is pretty good, the other half is just plain butt-ugly, e.g. the buildings

I guess the problem with Ptolus is that there is a lot of repetition with the artwork. (That's me trying to find a problem with it. Personally, the repetition doesn't bother me at all.) I flicked through it tonight to see what you meant about the buildings. To be honest, I never really noticed them until now. I can see how you might not like them. Personally, I think it gives a good idea of what most of the city would look like.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 31 Jul 2008 19:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got around to picking up this book! Only made it a short way through so far, but I am loving it. Will let you guys know what I think is useful for the Realms as I read it (and if I remember).

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  19:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, it seems to me that you could use any of the 5 types (type = race + class) in a normal d20 game with a +3 LA (the CR of a lvl 1 type is 4, the types are more powerful than normal d20 race/class combinations, and they start with 4 HD instead of 1 HD). I really like the magic system.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000