Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Another preview: Warlock Knight of Vaasa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  06:22:37  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpts/FRPreview_WarlockKnights.pdf

Seems that Vassaa has seen major changes... or maybe i wasn't up to date on development in that region.

At least the excerpts have improved in quality of the information.

Pat

Mod edit: Corrected spelling of "Vaasa" in the title, for better searchability.

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2008 18:38:28

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  06:42:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why these previews are so lacking in Realms flavor... It really makes me worry about what the FRCG is going to be like.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  06:52:03  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it a small blurb on a subject. I'm assuming that there will be more info once the FRCG hits the shelves with more lore involved. I enjoyed the article and am happy Vassa is finally having a prominent role in FR. I also like the "Over-lord" concept the Warlock Knights have as well. Cool stuff IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  07:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't understand why these previews are so lacking in Realms flavor... It really makes me worry about what the FRCG is going to be like.

Probably doesnt help that they named their "god" after a planet from Star wars Kotor

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  07:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a little slow to post this as a new topic, so I deleted mine to add it here: Is ironfell the new darksteel? And Vaasa is now a fuedal system? What happened to the half-orcs, or the sponsored raids from Damara? Oh, sorry, warlock knights with an endless supply of a new metal is KEWL! The premise for this one is even worse than the undead network from Abeir.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  08:29:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't understand why these previews are so lacking in Realms flavor...
Because the writers of the 4E Realms self-admittedly mentioned that they've never gamed in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  12:52:20  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Consider it a small blurb on a subject. I'm assuming that there will be more info once the FRCG hits the shelves with more lore involved. I enjoyed the article and am happy Vassa is finally having a prominent role in FR. I also like the "Over-lord" concept the Warlock Knights have as well. Cool stuff IMO.

These previews are direct from the FRCG so there can't be any more lore that what has been posted. I am getting the same feeling as WR here, not enough lore!!

However, as a concept I didn't mind this one too much and has some potential for working with (unlike the nonsense of Loudwater)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  13:28:27  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Because the writers of the 4E Realms self-admittedly mentioned that they've never gamed in the Realms?

Incorrect, they admitted they didn't have any current (2006/07) office games set in the Realms. I could be wrong but I think Ed plays in the Realms.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 29 Jul 2008 13:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  13:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The excerpts we've seen from chapter 7 don't really cover geography or history at all, just some information about the organisation in question. There is very likely more geographical information about Vaasa in chapter 6, which seems to be the geographical one. There may be a chapter on history as well - anyone seen a table of contents?

Note that they didn't post an excerpt on Cormyr, but a DDi article. Different thing. I suspect they decided everyone would freak out if they posted a two page excerpt of the Cormyr coverage in the book. That might be why they're doing out-of-the-way regions and minor enough organisations: 2 page excerpts cover them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  14:07:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

The excerpts we've seen from chapter 7 don't really cover geography or history at all, just some information about the organisation in question. There is very likely more geographical information about Vaasa in chapter 6, which seems to be the geographical one. There may be a chapter on history as well - anyone seen a table of contents?

Note that they didn't post an excerpt on Cormyr, but a DDi article. Different thing. I suspect they decided everyone would freak out if they posted a two page excerpt of the Cormyr coverage in the book. That might be why they're doing out-of-the-way regions and minor enough organisations: 2 page excerpts cover them.

Yeah, but when the 3E FRCS was coming out, we had excerpts and such that focused on iconic things of the Realms -- things like portals and select NPCs. Other than names, most of these excerpts are generic enough to be dropped anywhere. I don't feel like we've seen anything of the setting with these excerpts...

The fact that the Cormyr article was a "Dragon" article (I can't give the online content the same respect as the fallen magazine), and not a excerpt, concerns me. If something like that isn't in the book, does that mean we're going to have an entire book of nothing but these lame excerpts?

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  14:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i like the idea of warlocks taking control of Vasaa ... but everything else aren't worth being printed ... pretty sure as well that a 10 year old could come up with a better reason than an alien god crashlanding ... Bloodstone lands have a history allready which could easily be built on to support that a Demonic Warlock cabal with warlocks from all races around the area under the guidiance of a halfdemonic Gnoll Lich Warlock (or something other fancy) taking control over from where the lich king left

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  16:26:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if these are the same or similar to what appeared in the Swordmage Novel. If so, they were portrayed very well in the book
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  18:08:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

i like the idea of warlocks taking control of Vasaa ... but everything else aren't worth being printed ... pretty sure as well that a 10 year old could come up with a better reason than an alien god crashlanding ... Bloodstone lands have a history allready which could easily be built on to support that a Demonic Warlock cabal with warlocks from all races around the area under the guidiance of a halfdemonic Gnoll Lich Warlock (or something other fancy) taking control over from where the lich king left

-Kinda like how they could have brought the Dragonborn into the Realms.

-They could have used the lore from A Grand History of the Realms for them.

-No they drop Tymanther on Unther instead.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Probably doesnt help that they named their "god" after a planet from Star wars Kotor

Nah, he is just the big brother of Talos, you know -- hence the name!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  21:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

'Vassa' doesn't have any role in FR... now, *Vaasa*, however, does. Sorry to be nit-picking, but that's one of the most common spelling errors with FR names.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  21:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I knew I recognized that name from somewhere!!!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  21:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I agree with you there. The article had some new and interesting mechanics, but it really lacked any real connection to the Realms. First of all, are these Primordials really so relevant to the 4E flavour, so that they need to be "shoehorned" into every setting? I don't think I've seen them mentioned anywhere else but MM (and the 'Worlds and Monsters', IIRC)? This would imply that they could easily just be written off as ancient and forgotten gods which nobody remembers anymore. And even if they were relevant and cool and whatnot -- there *are* ancient and mysterious beings such as the Seven Lost Gods who could just as well be "fallen" Primordials in FR. I don't think the fates or histories of Camnod or Maram, for example, have been revealed yet? Telos is simply a boring name in my opinion, and too close to Talos for my taste. And why did he have to (literally) fall from the sky? Why couldn't he just be a Primordial who's slumbering (very much like Ulutiu) beneath the earth?

I'm personally so disappointed that the Warlock Knights were not liked to Zhengyi in any way -- it would have been a natural choice, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  21:38:57  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As regards the preview <insert standard issue sarcasm here>

quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Gosh, you know what I like? When the designers tell us that there are too many gods in the Realms, and then turn around and introduce new ones in the FRCG!

That is a very good point! It's not so much that it's one rule for them and one rule for us as the fact that the think that by killing off some of our favourites we'll enjoy the new deities.

Humbug!

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  22:58:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I'm personally so disappointed that the Warlock Knights were not liked to Zhengyi in any way -- it would have been a natural choice, in my opinion.

Yeah, I thought the same thing... This is another place where they could have followed existing Realmslore, and instead ignored it while forcing something obviously different in.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  23:38:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Incorrect, they admitted they didn't have any current (2006/07) office games set in the Realms. I could be wrong but I think Ed plays in the Realms.

Same darn thing! If you don't game in the Realms you've got no business writing new Realmslore. Period.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  23:40:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Yeah, and duh: Cult worshipping Orcus, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  23:47:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that the Warlock Knights of Vaasa were one of Rich Baker's creations. As I recall, he was pretty excited about them.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  00:05:23  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrug*

There's no feeling of continuity from where FR 3.5 left off. There's no explanation of how they got from point A (Spellplague) to point B (100 year leap.) They just drop new chunks of stuff all over the landscape. It suggests laziness and a lack of passion for the Realms. A year ago I was afraid that the Realms would be victim of over-enthusiastic young designers. It's turned out even worse; they didn't even want to try hard.

Edited by - RodOdom on 30 Jul 2008 00:19:59
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  00:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree, it doesn't feel like the Realms. Not to me anyway.

And of course, my saying that is going to PO some people. Oh well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  01:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

*shrug*

There's no feeling of continuity from where FR 3.5 left off. There's no explanation of how they got from point A (Spellplague) to point B (100 year leap.) They just drop new chunks of stuff all over the landscape. It suggests laziness and a lack of passion for the Realms. A year ago I was afraid that the Realms would be victim of over-enthusiastic young designers. It's turned out even worse; they didn't even want to try hard.

QFT.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  01:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm pretty sure that the Warlock Knights of Vaasa were one of Rich Baker's creations. As I recall, he was pretty excited about them.

-- George Krashos

Sadly, being excited about your own creation does not speak anything about its quality -- I'm usually very excited about a lot of ideas I come up with, yet I'm pretty certain that most of the scribes and sages here would not share my excitement, should I choose to post my ideas. This occasionally holds true for veteran FR designers, too, which seems to be the case here. The mechanics in the preview are interesting, but I just can't understand why Rich wouldn't tie this organization into existing lore -- especially when he chose to use Vaasa as their base. Unless the designers intentionally want to ignore the existing lore in order to "rewrite" the Realms for 4E, and leave their own "handprints" all over the place?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  01:53:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Look what they did with 4E.

-The Realms are not special just next, in the 'reimagining' of D&D.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  04:04:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh... I'm starting to have my fill of Rich Baker's creations if you ask me...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  04:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

quote:

I knew I recognized that name from somewhere!!!

At the risk of derailing the thread check this out it comes out nnext month

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/KOTORguide

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  05:48:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

*shrug*

This really strikes home.

Not only was the God-name taken right out of Star Wars, but the lore itself was lifted wholesale from World of Warcraft - so much so, I almost feel like sending an E-Mail to Blizzard's legal dept.

I played a warlock in WoW for two years, so I know a little of what I'm talking about.

These 4e warlocks use Shardsouls, and in Warcraft, the warlocks use Soulshards... I kid you not.

Its like they are not even trying anymore.

I feel like this stuff gets written ten minutes before they have to hand it in - You know; like those reports I used to write in HS on the bus on the way to school the morning they were do - and you just know the teacher knows you did just that, but you don't care because at least you handed something in.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jul 2008 05:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  07:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its like they are not even trying anymore.

Considering all the previews thusfar, it seems like they never tried. This may sound a bit strong, but I'm wondering: if someone breaks promises, does one call that person a liar, or something else? We've been promised so much concerning $E in general, and post-Sellplague Realms in particular, but I have yet to see any of that. Perhaps it's just delusions of grandeur on the part of the so-called design team (work from people like BRJ and Ed nonwithstanding).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000