Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Gloaming ancestry?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  15:53:19  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the silly things WotC had such a problem with in 3rd Edition was redundancy. We have two planetouched races that are both humans with ancestry from natives of the Plane of Shadow. The Gloaming and the Shadowswyft. The difference being one is a native to the Plane of Shadow and the other to the Material Plane.

So my question is, why is WotC always so vague about the types of ancestry such races have? What creature native to the Plane of Shadow spawned the gloamings? I am guessing maybe humanoids with the Dark or Shadow template. But then, how is a Shadowswyft produced and how is a Gloaming produced? And why such vast physical differences?

The Shadowswyft physical appearance actually generally works, but the Gloamings appeareance look so alien and specific, as if their ancestor were an actual moth-like, humanoid, glowing native species of the Plane of Shadow.

The way I have it in my Realms games, Shadowswyfts are "shade-touched". As in they carry the bloodline of someone who was a Shade from the City of Shade. So we have Netherese humans (majority), Shadowswyft (uncommon), and Shades (rare) as occupants of the City of Shade.

But I am curious to the gloamings ancestry. Any idea what it could be or what to say it was?

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  20:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, You could make them more specific to the Underdark and say that gloamings have a Gloura somewhere in the bloodline, or that they might be half gloura.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  02:29:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were also three Shadow-touched templates in Dragon #322 (along with another Shadow-race, the Dark Ones, which was split further into two sub-groups).

There was a great write-up of a city for the Plane of Shadow in there - the City of Lanterns. Definately a good issue, and I usually hate Shadowcrap.

Now that the Shadar-Kai are human (they were Elves, then Fey), they appear to be the race that the Shades are part of (don't ask), and are yet another race living in the Shadowfel.

Amazing what a busy place shadow has become over the years.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  02:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Amazing what a busy place shadow has become over the years.

It's so kewl and awesome sauce that everyone has been migrating there!

Wait until you see what they have planned for Shadowdale...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  10:44:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's a single race from where they could trace their ancestry, maybe bezekira tieflings
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  21:25:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wait until you see what they have planned for Shadowdale...

OH! Dear god no.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jul 2008 21:26:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000