Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What do the guards of gates...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  04:52:47  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

when you are DMs and the heroes arrive in a city, walled (like Waterdeep, Arabel, Tantras) or not (like Mistledale, Eveningstar) and the guards stop him, what they should do to can enter the city. Only state their business and names, or anything else? If they forge some convincent history they get free city pass without problems?

Thanks!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  09:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generally free to enter. State their names, business and affiliation and they're free to enter (Unless you say you're a Harper when entering Zhentil Keep or something).

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  09:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It a rarity for that to happen, unless its an /evil/ city like Zhentil Keep in my games. Or Thay. Thay has a guard post every five feet. Must pay a GP to past. Heh.

However, guards should be warily of any unusal parties. Like the Half-Fiend Dragon, Warforged, Minotaur cleric of Bane, etc etc. But yeah, it could be My name is BLah, I am here for Blah.

Sometimes some cities require no weapons or peacebonded, and to be searched.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  10:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sometimes charge tax. But not as much as a gp, as in my Realms, I've revamped the currency system.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  14:15:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends from city and city-state. Most cities are free of charge, but sometimes the travelers have to pay as admission to a trade fair or special facility (library/temple/bathhouse e.g.).

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  14:31:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree with Dracons here - in most instances (and during the day) gaurds will only question suspicious-looking types. Or if there is something going on in the city (the King's giving a speech) or in the nearby region (Orcs/Zhents have been spotted).

On the other hand, a city like Westgate or even Calimport might question 'good' looking types. They are probably not too thrilled when Harpers or a Paladin comes a' calling.

And then you have places like Thay, Zhentil Keep, Dambrath and perhaps Mulhorand that WILL question everyone trying to get in (You usually only see that when a 'tyrant' is in charge).

But thats just the way I run it - you're free to do whatever works in your game.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2008 14:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  04:14:23  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I can think of no specific examples from text, Suzail and other significant Cormyrian towns seem like the kind of places where the guards would be especially vigilant and suspicious of all comers, given Cormyr's attitude toward wandering adventuring types in general, not to mention paranoia regarding traitorous nobles and neighboring rivals.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  08:01:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Such individuals often work as Customs officers, as well.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  21:39:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr is receptive to adventurers, as long as they follow the rules and get a charter. In fact, the crown has been known to use adventuring companies to 'scout out' certain things they didn't want to have an official presence in. Giving the state of Cormyr after Azoun's death, I think Alusiar would have offered land grants (and titles) to as many well-to-do adventurers as possibly, hoping to beef-up Cormyr's military during the first few years of rebuilding (but thats conjecture, based on her own miltary bent and the future of Cormyr being a strong, Imperialistic power).

On the other hand, Amn HATES adventurers (especially Harpers), and watch their borders carefully (being sure to arrest any foreign mages).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  03:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waaaaay OT:
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul
Milton was obviously a gamer - who else would conceive of penning an epic tragedy over the misplacing of 2d6?

That is sooo bad!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  03:53:11  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be some kind of questionning only in the cases of walled cities as it's easier to place guard post when the points of entry are predertermined by gates through the walls.

In those types of cities, there will often be questionning by guards or taxemen. Depending on your buisness in the city, you should prepare typical responses from the guards.

- I am here visiting family = Have a nice visit or the wall taxe is one copper piece per head sir.
- I am here to sell goods = Be sure to register at the market and pay the market taxe.
- I am here to find work = The docks is down high street and center square should have something up. Have a nice stay.
- I am looking to buy property = Be sure to visit city hall or the royal palace for an audience.

I would also think that caravans and such would get some kind of search.

But like other said...it's very dependent on the alignment of the city, if it's walled or not, the size of it, the kingdom it is in. I'm affraid there is just no one way to approach it :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  04:01:28  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Cormyr is receptive to adventurers, as long as they follow the rules and get a charter. In fact, the crown has been known to use adventuring companies to 'scout out' certain things they didn't want to have an official presence in. Giving the state of Cormyr after Azoun's death, I think Alusiar would have offered land grants (and titles) to as many well-to-do adventurers as possibly, hoping to beef-up Cormyr's military during the first few years of rebuilding (but thats conjecture, based on her own miltary bent and the future of Cormyr being a strong, Imperialistic power).

On the other hand, Amn HATES adventurers (especially Harpers), and watch their borders carefully (being sure to arrest any foreign mages).

I agree with what you're saying. To clarify, my point was that, because of Cormyr's licensing laws and special interest regarding adventurers, guards would be especially careful to ensure that any they encountered were, in fact, legitimate.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  04:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a discussion in the first book of the Avatar Trilogy of what the guards in Arabel would be looking for when "the heroes" left Arabel.

If memory serves me well, the scurrilous lies about Cyric's alleged life as a mortal also feature a passage about Zhentil Keep guards. Considering how many blatant lies with which that account was filled, one may choose to disregard it. (Cyric, as we all know, has always been the One True God.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000