Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 When Characters die
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  07:25:12  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wandering what happens to your characters when they die. Do they stay dead, or do you get clerics to cast Resurection" Or do you use wish?

The campaign where I play we are great friends of the lathander church, so we have been resurected there more than once. All of us. Some more than others. But we do not stay dead, when we die as lvl 18. But what do all of you do???

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  09:36:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that heaviliy depends on the campaign. In my last campaign as a player we were able to be raised by magic items or through our own cleric. But that was back in 2nd Ed.

In my 3rd. Ed. Campaign I handled resurrection a little too loose IMO. The players were reluctend to be raised by anything except of true resurection (due to the level-loss). A fact that I have changed in my new camoaign. Now everyone is even more afraid of getting killed!

All in all we almost always tried the utmost to keep the Group intect, raising each party member if possible. After all, most of us grow attached to our characters.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 21 Jun 2008 09:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  02:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have very little compassion for the terminally stupid, either in real life (Darwin Award contenders) or in-game, but sometime, PCs just die in the course of an adventure, and if the character was pleasurable to have in the campaign, I will try to find a way to bring him or her back.

One PC in my campaign, for example, was lightning blasted while standing on the edge of a balcony, and fell -- plop -- to his death below, after having cunningly fought against far heavier opposition than the party had ever faced previously (aside from 100,000 Tuigan supported by 10- or 20,000 Shou and Semphari levies). I allow my players to have Fate Points (per Mongoose Publishing's Conan RPG), and the player cashed one in to save his character. My own PC-turned-NPC cleric happened to have had a fly spell cast on him by the same character, so when the Fate Point was burned, I had my guy suddenly remember that he was actually a level higher than he had thought, and recall that he'd prayed for a raise dead spell, so he swooped down, raised the PC, then carried him back up to the fight, minus a level, but alive again.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  15:28:12  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's not so epic to use resurrection spell so easily in DnD.. In order to have a character resurrected he must be of some importance..For example You can't go and resurrect a 3d level unknown character in order to continue the campaign with the same character..you create a new one...It must be forbidden for the churches to do that because if resurrection is so easily obtained then death has no meaning and epic style is gone from the campaign.... .....

But that's just my opinion

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 23 Jun 2008 15:58:06
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  16:42:08  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i agree with bardobarbaros. i also try to keep death in perspective, for each pc. a devout priest might consider it a boon; but i think most evil beings, knowing what's in store for them, would definitely want to be resurrected. most churches would have strict polocies concerning who they would be willing to do this for.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000