Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NWN2: Storm of Zehir
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  21:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KoTOR2 is one of my favourite games ever.

And as I said before, Obsidian are being far more respectful of the source material in their games then the current crop of FR designers are. Obsidian also have better story tellers. Want to know who else is a Core 4E god yet not in the 4E Realms Pantheon? Sehanine.

Storm of Zehir looks good. I should probably play through the NWN2 campaign and Mask of the Betrayer sometime, given that I bought both!
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  23:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should. NWN2's campaign is a miserable plod that goes at the speed of snail through molasses, but Mask of the Betrayer is way better than KotOR2 and approaches the old glory that was Planescape: Torment. Superior to anything Bioware's put out after BG2, and better written, more thoughtful, more original, more emotionally powerful than pretty much nearly all the Realms fiction available. Chris Avellone's writing leaves most Realms favourites eating dust.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2008 :  08:20:51  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

You should. NWN2's campaign is a miserable plod that goes at the speed of snail through molasses, but Mask of the Betrayer is way better than KotOR2 and approaches the old glory that was Planescape: Torment. Superior to anything Bioware's put out after BG2, and better written, more thoughtful, more original, more emotionally powerful than pretty much nearly all the Realms fiction available. Chris Avellone's writing leaves most Realms favourites eating dust.

I'm currently running through NWN2's campaign and I find it pretty good. I play a rogue/paladin halfling though, so your experience may vary depending on which paths you have taken...
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2008 :  22:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, doesn't have anything to do with the PC's class. I found the characters to be lacklustre and little more than walking cliches: gruff dwarf (oh god, no more), thieving sassy tiefling (hi, Annah - oh wait), tree-hugging elven druid (does she have a personality? Outside of being a creepy stalker who had romantic/sexual designs on a little boy, I mean), Lawful Rigid paladin, and so on. And the story just plodded, and the combat is terrible beyond belief. When it was first released, the camera control was atrocious too, though MotB has fixed that.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  01:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, there'll be recruitable NPCs with personalities.

Good to hear. I honestly don't have an interest in a party created entirely by me, because that would mean no personalities or dialogue (one of the reasons I play the game in the first place).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  01:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

And as I said before, Obsidian are being far more respectful of the source material in their games then the current crop of FR designers are.

Maybe, but I'm not exactly happy with this talk about the game "foreshadowing the coming changes". I don't want to immerse myself in that nonsense.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  01:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No, doesn't have anything to do with the PC's class.

Seconded. The game is linear to a fault.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  05:29:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still like it despite its linearity...
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  06:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  17:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Oh, I quite enjoyed it myself, overall (though I agree with many criticisms about it). I'm just confirming, as someone who has played the game and read numerous walkthroughs for it, that there is very little variability in terms of the way you can play through the story.

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  18:03:57  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karzak, I'm glad there's someone who enjoyed MotB as much as I did. I couldn't get enough of it. I had already played Neverwinter Nights and its expansions, and I had gone through Neverwinter Nights 2 and played both Knights of the Old Republic games, but Mask of the Betrayer just has a special place in my heart. It's gotten so into BioWare games that I actually ordered the Baldur's Gate series recently, since I haven't played those.

I'm hoping that Storm of Zehir has more of the religious philosophy that was brought up in Mask of the Betrayer. For instance, there's the matter that a great deal of novels coming out right now in the FR setting have something to do with deicide. I know SoZ has to do with economic fallout, but it would be interesting to see the affects on faith from recent events.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Sonny
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  12:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Sonny's Homepage Send Sonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually adore both NWN2 and MotB. Though NWN2 is pretty generic as far as plot goes, it does it well, and it excels at creating memorable and fun npcs. MotB has an awesome plot, in fact it's one of the best Forgotten Realms stories to be written for a computer game.

I'm greatly looking forward to both Storm of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate, to say the least. Also, if you want to get a good idea the quality of game you can look forward to in Mysteries of Westgate, download Darkness Over Daggerford for NWN1. It was originally gonna be a premium mod, but when Atari canceled the premium mod program for NWN1, Ossian released it for free, so people could enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  14:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny

Also, if you want to get a good idea the quality of game you can look forward to in Mysteries of Westgate, download Darkness Over Daggerford for NWN1.

I hope not, because DoD was pretty terrible writing-wise, though at least it was free. MoW, now, you'll have to pay for. Not to mention it'll come with Atari's new copy protection scheme, and I'm not willing to pay money to have my computer infected with malware.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  05:10:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I dunno if any one else was over at the electric section at the Con but I spent a lot of time over there and the demo for the expansion looks really interesting. I didn't play it but I stood back a bit and watched others play with the char generator and the actual game.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Aug 2008 05:11:14
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  03:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

BTW, I dunno if any one else was over at the electric section at the Con but I spent a lot of time over there and the demo for the expansion looks really interesting. I didn't play it but I stood back a bit and watched others play with the char generator and the actual game.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  03:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my wife and I spent quite a bit of time over there on Sunday morning. In fact, after answering some trivia questions about NWN, my wife (Verity) won an autographed copy of NWN 2 Gold signed by the development team!

The expansion itself looks pretty cool, particuarly the new overland map of Samarach. Though I didn't see him myself, the rep reaffirmed that Volo is in the game.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000