Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NWN2: Storm of Zehir
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Obsidian Entertainment is working on a second expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2, titled Storm of Zehir. You can read more about it on their press release [http://www.obsidianent.com/nx2_announced.html] and on their message boards [http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=128].

Unfortunately, the developers decided to center the expansion around the snake god Zehir, who is a core 4E god and *not* in the 4E Realms pantheon.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:09:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* Does that mean NeverWinter moved into the core world? *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links. I heard about this expansion yesterday, and I was certainly puzzled about the reference to Zehir.

Oh well--it's not like the other NWN games (by Obsidian or Bioware) were ever perfectly in sync with canon.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jun 2008 18:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  10:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
removal of Fs

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 16 Jun 2008 17:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  13:15:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was really uncalled for.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  13:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That was really uncalled for.

Well its in reference to the nuking of the Pantheon which I consider an F up. i loved the NWN games and have yet to try NWN 2 (computer upgrading is expensive).
But I like 4E. Just not certain things they are doing to the realms for 4E.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  16:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I understand Wooly's comment about the language (even truncated as it was), I have to wonder why they would push a 4e Core deity rather than a 4e Realms deity. Especially with all of the heat that the 4e Realms is getting already, why not use a Realms deity that is familiar to pull player's into the 4e Realms. It just seems as if it is another illogical decision that has been made for the 4e Realms; and seeing as the intensive loop-jumping that CRPG developers have to go through to create a Realms (or other D&D CS world) CRPG, I have to conclude that this was WotC's decision and not Obsidian's. Curious...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  16:56:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was confusing to me as well. Unless the expansion is going to translate the game into 4th edition mechanics, it doesn't really make much sense to use a 4th edition core deity, and even if it does change the game system behind the rules, unless the setting shifts to the default core setting, it still doesn't make much sense.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  18:56:51  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the villains are Yuan-ti, so the inclusion of a serpent deity makes sense, but not that said god is Zehir. Why not Sseth? Or Merrshaulk if there's anything left of him.

Hells, a truly awesome (in my opinion) plot would involve attempts by yuan-ti to resurrect the World Serpent.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  19:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it should have been more FR specific...I think they are trying to attract buyers who aren't realms fans (like they are doing with the new FRCS) which is kind of contradictory if you ask me.

Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  21:01:31  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very weird decision. Especially since the first expansion seemed to be fairly FR sensitive

Another reason to stick with NWN 1. (The first being my tired 1.6 ghz processor.)

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  02:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Yes it should have been more FR specific...I think they are trying to attract buyers who aren't realms fans (like they are doing with the new FRCS) which is kind of contradictory if you ask me.

Strange indeed, since for a long time the insistance for official NWN content was FR-material only (the NWN1 Premium Module program started with non-FR mods, then they has to switch to FR mods exclusively).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  03:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Strange indeed, since for a long time the insistance for official NWN content was FR-material only (the NWN1 Premium Module program started with non-FR mods, then they has to switch to FR mods exclusively).

And I am very mad that those three non-FR ones could be purchased at the store while the neat FR ones (Waterdeep pirate one and the random Undermountain one) you have to pay and be online (and if your computer needs a reformat for some stupid reason, chaching, you gots to spend more money).

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  03:34:06  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

This was confusing to me as well. Unless the expansion is going to translate the game into 4th edition mechanics, it doesn't really make much sense to use a 4th edition core deity, and even if it does change the game system behind the rules, unless the setting shifts to the default core setting, it still doesn't make much sense.

Nope, it'll be 3.5e rules. They're not going to create a whole new engine for an expansion. They're already doing quite a bit with these trade route systems and party feats, I don't know, they're making up a whole lot of stuff with this expansion.

It'll probably be a lot of fun, if not a little shallow on the gameplay mechanics (honestly, NWN2 isn't really built to modify into a strategy game, but maybe they'll prove me wrong), but I'm sure hardcore Realms fans will be rolling their eyes plenty.

But this is a video game, so as long as it's fun, I'll make my own mods that are more faithful to the source material.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  04:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtywick

But this is a video game, so as long as it's fun, I'll make my own mods that are more faithful to the source material.

Then I will have to check those out once I am able to run NWN 2 on one of my PCs.

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  04:44:53  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They made a few performance enhancements when they released MotB, so the system reqs aren't so stringent. Anyway, I did take a few liberties here and there...

But anyone posting here that plays NWN2 might like this site:

http://nwcitadel.forgottenrealmsweave.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Basically it's a group of people working on FR modules/campaigns under some loose guidelines, keeping close to source material, treasure/balance, etc. Those are the projects I think people would be most interested in at this forum.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  05:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Obsidian are being more respectful to the Realms then the WoTC designers are, anyway.

Besides, given the nature of Neverwinter Nights, the name Zehir can be changed to Sseth or Set.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  08:22:28  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds good to me

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

jlf2n
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  15:32:35  Show Profile  Visit jlf2n's Homepage Send jlf2n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty awesome, especially the custom parties.
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A preview on Gamespot tells of the party travelling with Volo.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

A preview on Gamespot tells of the party travelling with Volo.

Yeah, I don't know what to think about that. I can only hope that they do the character justice.

I enjoyed Volo's portrayal in the BG games.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  09:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obsidian can trash FR canon and leave the corpse bleeding in a ditch for all I care, as long as they keep up the quality of writing and storytelling of MotB. Plus, Obsidian/Black Isle has always played fast and loose with source material, as evidenced in both PS:T, MotB and KotOR2 (particularly KotOR2, where they trod roughshod all over the tone and feel of Star Wars. Hah!).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  09:56:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

Obsidian can trash FR canon and leave the corpse bleeding in a ditch for all I care, as long as they keep up the quality of writing and storytelling of MotB. Plus, Obsidian/Black Isle has always played fast and loose with source material, as evidenced in both PS:T, MotB and KotOR2 (particularly KotOR2, where they trod roughshod all over the tone and feel of Star Wars. Hah!).

I have a feeling that I am one of the few persons that actually liked KotOR2.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  14:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not alone Jorkens. I thoroughly enjoyed both KotOR1 and 2 and am eagerly awaiting the KotOR MMO which was recently announced.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  16:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite enjoyed KotoR2, I felt it built nicely upon the first game. The announcement of the MMO made me giddy, and I will most likely drop WoW for good when it comes out (I am currently taking a break off WoW for rush season at work and to play games that I never play because I am paying for WoW.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  18:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus, Obsidian/Black Isle has always played fast and loose with source material...

True enough.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  23:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I have a feeling that I am one of the few persons that actually liked KotOR2.

I didn't dislike it. If anything, I adored Kreia: she's a far better antagonist than the godawful Malak from the first game, and pretty much anything Lucas has been able to cobble together in his movies. But Chris Avellone/Obsidian wasn't really doing a Star Wars game. It's this weird bastard melange gray with dystopia, a misplaced Bene Gesserit/Ravel incarnation, and any number of things that make KotOR2 desperately misfitted. Not to mention it was severely incomplete, and let's not get started on some of the things it did to characters from the first game.

As for the MMO, it's bound to be a niche game, nothing more. You people do know it's not developed either by Obsidian or Bioware, but by Bioware Austin? As in, the people nobody's heard of before because they've produced... no game, ever? Maybe it'll attempt something "different" and go the way of EVE Online/LOTRO, neither of which even remotely competes with Blizzard's gigantic player-base. But most likely it'll try to ape WoW, but due to a lack of polish, fail miserably and fall by the wayside.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  00:41:52  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Maybe it'll attempt something "different" and go the way of EVE Online/LOTRO, neither of which even remotely competes with Blizzard's gigantic player-base. But most likely it'll try to ape WoW, but due to a lack of polish, fail miserably and fall by the wayside.

This is the primary reason I hate MMOs in general, because they are almost always designed with the intent of killing whatever popular game is running the market. Right now, that's WoW, so every development teams is trying to cut into that market. This, unfortunately, results in a ton of recycling of old concepts (Star Wars Galaxies NGE comes to mind). I, for one, hope that the development team for KotOR Online just tries to make a great game, instead of a game killer.

On the topic of Storm of Zehir, I know that total party customization is, as in Baldur's Gate, entirely possible. However, is there any word on whether there will be recruitable NPCs as well?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  08:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there'll be recruitable NPCs with personalities.

As for MMOs, well, you can hardly blame them for that. All MMOs are fundamentally the same, with varying levels of polish. You can't make an MMO with a great story and writing and hope that'll keep people. You can fool people for a while, like Age of Conan does for the first twenty levels or so, but ultimately people will want to get to the max level, and raid or PvP. Most of all MMOs need to keep people grinding so they'll continue their subscriptions; there's no profit to be made if you can get to the highest level and gain the best gear within a month or two.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2008 :  09:06:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's get back to discussing this Storm of Zehir, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000