Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Swordmage Book Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  07:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Well met

With the release of Swordmage this month, I wish to hold a poll to see how many are interested in participating in the Book Club. Bear in mind that the novel is a hardcover. However, it is also a key novel for 4e Realms, so have some greater importance.

Thank ye.

Choices:

Aye, I wish to participate
Not until the paperback is released
Not interested

(Anonymous Vote)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  09:28:20  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not until the paperback is released...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  09:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, why do you specify that it is a hardcover ?
What is important in that fact ?

And a last question, I believe it is the first book (source or novel) which deals with post-spellplague FR. Am I true ?

Thanks

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  10:22:17  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes .I'm interested.. I will buy it.. But I plan to read it in the future ..Right now I'm reading other novels of the realms...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  10:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Yes .I'm interested.. I will buy it...

Kai ego !

Are we allowed to discuss this novel here in ? Or is it just reserved to the poll ?

So,dear moderators, if we're not allowed, please, delete my posts.

I think I will buy it ASAP. I'm so in late in the 3E FR that if I want to be upto-date in the latter, I will enter the 4E FR with late !
I will end to read 3E FR novels in the same time I will read 4E FR ones.
I could be hard because of spoilers but I really think I will adopt this manner to follow the 4E evolution in order to avoid being in late in the post-spellplague edition.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 08 May 2008 10:36:47
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  11:54:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Alaundo, why do you specify that it is a hardcover ?
What is important in that fact ?

And a last question, I believe it is the first book (source or novel) which deals with post-spellplague FR. Am I true ?

Thanks

Hopefully Alaundo doesn't mind me answering for him.

In the past, a lot of scribes have waited for some books published in hardcover to come out in paperback, so they wouldn't participate in a book club for the novel itself until it comes out in softcover.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 08 May 2008 11:55:47
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  03:50:39  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will. this one seems interesting to me, after reading the sample chapter. I would participate and Rich Bakers books are good enough to purchase a hardbound copy IMO.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/Products/default.aspx?doc=216317200
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did buy this novel, but have not gotten around to reading it, yet. Truth be told, I've been pretty lax lately with regards to FR novel reading (and I think I'm not the only one).

When I do read this novel, I will participate.

quote:
I mean, must every elven maiden have unearthly beauty?

It's one of those unwritten laws.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:14:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

And it's "dwarven craftsmen," not "dwarf craftsmen." Adjectives modify nouns, not other nouns.

Are you sure they weren't making dwarves?

Honestly, I don't think that's as much incorrect as it is simply infrequently used. I can readly see a character referring to something as "dwarf work" instead of "dwarven work", but in text, it would be better to go with the latter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps "craftsdwarves?" Isn't "Elf maid" a fairly common fantasy locution? How is "Dwarf craftsmen" different?

I fully support the notion that every elf maid or elven maiden or whatever must have unearthly beauty. Given that, I must conclude that feelings of racial superiority are quite reasonable. Beautiful women and the men dating them tend to look down on the rest of us mere humans. Evermeet is Hollywood.

You've never used the words "seven" and "days" back to back? That is a pretty petty critique. I have no doubt Rich Baker knows about tendays and just decided not to use the term here.

And where Rich is really missing the "Realms flavor" is in not describing how the Elven maiden's "hair" is styled. Come on Rich, get with the program! This is the Forgotten Realms, not Middle Earth.

But if this kind of thing is what CK can produce for just the sample chapter (and only skimming at that), I can't wait to see how the full book is reviewed. So I vote for going at it now. And if people wait for it to come out in paperback, they can just chime in then.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum
Beautiful women and the men dating them tend to look down on the rest of us mere humans.

Speak for yourself.

If Evermeet is Hollywood, then a lot of elves there have undergone plastic surgery.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 May 2008 15:48:17
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And it's "dwarven craftsmen," not "dwarf craftsmen." Adjectives modify nouns, not other nouns.

Are you sure they weren't making dwarves?

Honestly, I don't think that's as much incorrect as it is simply infrequently used. I can readly see a character referring to something as "dwarf work" instead of "dwarven work", but in text, it would be better to go with the latter.

As I understand it, the operating assumption in Realms novels is:

1) "Dwarven" and "elven" are adjectives that refer to "made by said race" NOT "belonging to/being of said race" (see def 2, below), ala Bilbo pilfered an elven sword from the trolls' cave. Dwarven armor and elven swords bear the craftsmanship of their respective races but could be used (thus belong to) any particular race. Elven spells are spells devised by elves, but a human could cast an elven spell.

2) "Dwarf"/"elf" can be used as an adjective or as a noun. As an adjective, it means "belonging to/being of said race" (the elf archer). As a noun, it means a "person of said race" (the elf with the bow).

3) "Dwarvish" or "Elvish" refers to the "language of said race" (but my character doesn't speak Dwarvish!). (Though the sourcebooks differ on this point, I believe).

Among these three, I think there is a little interchangeability:

Sturt the Battlerager strode into battle, his dwarven armor gleaming in the torchlight.

You could replace "dwarven" with "dwarf" here and still be correct, though it might sound funny. "Dwarven armor" means "armor of dwarf make" but "dwarf armor" would be just as easily understood in context, though it technically means "armor belonging to dwarves," not necessarily "armor made by dwarves." It's just a matter of deciding which reads best.

The other races are easy--halfling, orc, gnome (I haven't seen a reference to Gnomish for a long time), human, tiefling, goblin, etc. Just the straight known covers the above three uses (though humans and tieflings don't have a self-titled language of their own, obviously).

There are of course precedents to do it any which way in all sorts of material. This is just how I personally read WotC novels/sourcebooks, and I'm pretty sure that's the gold standard.

Cheers,

Erik
Who is actually a big fan of the words "dwarfin" and "elfin" but no-nevermind.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

If Evermeet is Hollywood, then a lot of elves there have undergone plastic surgery.

Polymorph is only what, a 5th level wizard spell? Easy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I guess that's part of where de gustibus non disputandum est came from. I read the sample chapter and came away convinced I wouldn't be able to get through it.

I mean, must every elven maiden have unearthly beauty? Must every elven antagonist be publicly and vocally convinced of his racial superiority? Haven't we already read about Porthios and Laurana?

Some writers believe in the cookie-cutting method of writing, and since it does continue to land them novel contracts, well...
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, having voted I feel I should offer my 2 cents, having bought the book and am through to I think chapter 18 or so.

Without any spoilers at all, I can honestly say that I have no regrets buying it in hardcover. Just the "flavor" of post-spellplague Faerun has been enough for me, but the story itself is also reasonably engaging and the characters are for the most part interesting (there is only one I can think of that I don't care for).

If a discussion is started here or elsewhere I would love to go into more detail, as there really is a lot in this book to talk about.
Go to Top of Page

Wormys_Queue
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  23:16:04  Show Profile Send Wormys_Queue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is kinda strange, but this book makes me posting for the first time in this forum (been reading here for a while, though). Yes, I'd be interested in participating in any discussion as I actually liked what I found in this book.
Go to Top of Page

Strife026
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  00:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Strife026's Homepage Send Strife026 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wouldn't mind joining a discussion group about this book.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  10:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Well that's settled then. It looks to be worthy opening up a Book Club for this time. I'll get the scrolls set up in a moment

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  18:36:08  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

Yes .I'm interested.. I will buy it...

Kai ego !

oraia ta ellinika

nice greek Fillow

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  21:04:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went and picked this one up today. I had a hard time choosing this hard bound novel over 3 paperback FR novels that I need to get caught up on for the same cost, but I am exited about checking out the first 4E FR novel.

Rich, I liked your acknowledgment to FR fans in the back of the book. IMO, it shows a conscious effort and dedication to the realms, even with the huge changes that take place with the transition to 4E.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  21:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Rich, I liked your acknowledgment to FR fans in the back of the book. IMO, it shows a conscious effort and dedication to the realms, even with the huge changes that take place with the transition to 4E.

I agree, although Rich's opinion (he finds the Realms even more wonderous than before) still differs with mine.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 May 2008 21:42:56
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  22:24:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question - With the release of Swordmage, does that mean that the realms official time line is now in 1479? or does the official time line begin with the publication the upcoming forgotten realms Campaign source book?
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  11:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oraia ta ellinika

nice greek Fillow

Para Kalo BardoBarbaros. You're welcome.
I had an Athenian girlfriend for 18 months...

quote:
Originally posted by Scererar

Question - With the release of Swordmage, does that mean that the realms official time line is now in 1479? or does the official time line begin with the publication the upcoming forgotten realms Campaign source book?

I would say the FR time line is the post-spellplague one since Wizards learn us about these events, since the publication of Dragon articles on the website...
Don't you think it could be true ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  12:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oraia ta ellinika

nice greek Fillow

Para Kalo BardoBarbaros. You're welcome.
I had an Athenian girlfriend for 18 months...

quote:
Originally posted by Scererar

I would say the FR time line is the post-spellplague one since Wizards learn us about these events, since the publication of Dragon articles on the website...

Don't you think it could be true ?

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 28 May 2008 19:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  01:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Good question. At this point, though, I don't think it matters much. The 4E setting will be out in only a few months.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  19:03:31  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a question for anyone who has read the book. Did anyone else wonder if Kara is a distant kin to Aoth from the Haunted Lands trilogy? The thought triggered in my head when Richard described her looks and heritage as totally similar to Reshemi descent like Aoth, as well as the fact that she is Plague Touched.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  15:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got it ! I got it !
I know it's not interesting for you but I'm so proud to get it...

just as info, I paid cheaper to get it from the US website of Amazon than to order it from the French one !
Incredible ! Shame on French dealers.

I will start to read it on next week.
English Fantasy reading should be a big work... I might (I will !) ask you for explaining some specific terms you know.
So I already thank you so very much.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000