Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Epic destinies...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  19:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
a powergamer's dream come true?

I just skimmed over the article in Pseudo-Dragon magazine... this ain't a Dragon, not by a long shot!

We have come full circle it seems. Back in the day we had the Immortals Set for D&D, now we got epic destinies.

Is this the core D&D experience? Getting more powerful? I thought the path was the journey... have I been playing the game wrong the entire time????

Or have WotC's designers inhaled too much paint-thinner and other fun stuff????

Too tired to rant on this, and if I decide to do...it won't be nice, it won't be pretty.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  20:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Is this the core D&D experience? Getting more powerful? I thought the path was the journey... have I been playing the game wrong the entire time????

I don't think epic destinies are about the "core" of the D&D experience, so much as creating an end for a character's story.

That's just how I see it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2008 20:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told, I've never even got to a "real" end in any campaign. We went on and then we...stopped. I've never had any goal in mind when running campaigns, I just let the PCs' decisions influence the story and that was fine enough.

Epic destinies, IMO, is just another way to serve the munchkins.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  23:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never had any goal in mind when running campaigns, I just let the PCs' decisions influence the story and that was fine enough.

Epic destinies, IMO, is just another way to serve the munchkins.

Each to his own I guess. Now if you DID have a goal, maybe Epic destinies would have a purpose other than serving munchkins.

I rather enjoyed this article. Elric, the source of the Eternal Hero, is a fantasy icon as much as Frodo. Fantasy gaming can be many things, not just Orcs & Merchants.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  00:26:46  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just skimmed over the article in Pseudo-Dragon magazine... this ain't a Dragon, not by a long shot!

We have come full circle it seems. Back in the day we had the Immortals Set for D&D, now we got epic destinies.

Too tired to rant on this, and if I decide to do...it won't be nice, it won't be pretty.

I can't go into any details beyond what you've already seen, but I can say that the purpose of epic destinies has nothing to do with power gaming. Power gaming involves choosing the best combination of choices to make your character the "best." The purpose of epic destinines is to help bring your character to a point they'd probably be at anyway if you played to epic levels, but with a bit more oomph. Both epic destinies and paragon paths are far more low key than prestige class or epic rules were in 3ed. Please don't quote me on any of this.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  16:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit it: I AM interested in some of the choices in that article (not all, but some, which is to be expected). It might be fun to end one PC's story with apotheosis, for example. However, that doesn't mean I would want to use that option all the time or even most of the time (I'm the type of person who thinks godhood probably isn't all it's cracked up to be, anyway).

The eternal hero option is also neat--if Link could be the eternal hero of Hyrule, one of my PCs could have the same destiny. ;) I just hope there are more options than the ones that were listed in the article.

So yeah, this is one of the 4E options I do like.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 May 2008 23:47:47
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  16:11:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good to hear. Some of the rest of us Europeans get a little nervous when Germans start ranting

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  17:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
The eternal hero option is also neat--if Link could be the eternal hero of Hyrule, one of my PCs could have the same destiny. ;) I just hope there are more options than the ones that were listed in the article.

So yeah, this is one of the 4E options I do like.

Now, to be fair, they are seperate Links, they are not all the same person.

Aside from that, I really can't comment on this topic, as I haven't read the article aforementioned.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  20:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Good to hear. Some of the rest of us Europeans get a little nervous when Germans start ranting

LOL so bad am I?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  21:23:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4th edition being invaded by Mace's 4th Reich?

Sounds like I've discovered Mace's 'Epic Destiny'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  00:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

Now, to be fair, they are seperate Links, they are not all the same person.

Err, I know that, and that was my point. The 4E "eternal hero" has lived past lives as a hero, and a PC with that epic destiny is just the "latest version".

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 May 2008 00:41:29
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  04:19:52  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

We have come full circle it seems. Back in the day we had the Immortals Set for D&D, now we got epic destinies.[quote]

I thought the same when I read the article. I still have my immortals boxed set too.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  07:47:08  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've checked the archmage, pathethic, recalling spells, really that's all they've come up with !? this system seems so unflexible
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  08:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, a couple of points. First, this for once does not strike me as power play, but a useful tool for characters beyond 20th level, characters not simply looking for world-shattering spells and over-kill abilities. It rather makes those more distinct from people below 20th level, gives them that little bit extra without getting up to demigod status.

Second, I actually never managed to get a group beyond 20th level in D&D 3,x. I doubt I ever will. So much of these Epic Rules have yet to be tried. Though, as usual, I rather have more options than less.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 19 May 2008 09:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  14:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What struck me about the Archmage ED (and I mentioned this on the WotC boards as well) is how the text more or less states outright that there can only be one person of that caliber in the world at any given time.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What struck me about the Archmage ED (and I mentioned this on the WotC boards as well) is how the text more or less states outright that there can only be one person of that caliber in the world at any given time.

Which kind of reminds me of the 18th level Fighter feat "Weapon Supremacy" from the PHBII. On the Wizards site, on one of the "how to use PHBII things in existing settings", it was mentioned in the Realms, it could be found among master swordsmen. For Eber-whats-it, it was mentioned that no one in the world had that caliber, and that any PC attaining said feat would be a singularity and gain instant worldwide fame. -_-

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there usually is only one mage within an adventurers' group, right?! ;)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Usually, but not always.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:53:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Usually, but not always.

Indeed, I ran a group of all wizards once...it was a great amount of fun!

More on topic though, I have NEVER liked restricted progression. I first ran into it when a Druid wanted to advance in 1st Edition...and I've never liked having the idea that only one person can hold a particular position of power...

Sure, only one person can hold a title, but I never thought it should be equated with character level.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 20 May 2008 02:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  04:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please keep in mind that the text you cite, like everything in Core D&D, described the generic point-of-light setting not the Forgotten Realms.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Please keep in mind that the text you cite, like everything in Core D&D, described the generic point-of-light setting not the Forgotten Realms.

I am aware of that, but my question of how it works still applies (I asked Rich Baker). I'm interested in the "core setting", not just the 4E Realms. In fact, I'm more interested in the core setting.

Also, there's really no reason for me to assume off-the-bat that something in the core material won't apply to the Realms, either. After all, WotC wants all D&D material (even setting-specific material) to be easy to use no matter what setting a group of players want to use, or at least that's the impression I've been getting.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 May 2008 14:13:14
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  06:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will someone please post a link to this article for the benefit of those of us who have already ceased to give a damn about Hasbro's D&D, but are curious to see how they are now turning back to Gygax's work?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  14:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5
by Logan Bonner, Art by Eric Deschamps and John Moriarty

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428

... scourged down to acceptable size, I hope.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 26 May 2008 20:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  23:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...yes, some ideas are quite nice and yes, others seem uninspired, yet...how do I word this correctly...I couldn´t see myself GMing such chars beyond a) solo adventures/mini-campaigns, mainly to try some out-there high levelish stuff and reward a player or just have some fun by granting a friend a grand story now and then or b) using people with epic destinies as one off guest characters during a campaign. And really, I´m not quite sure why we need rules on that. I mean I´ve turned one of my player´s char into a mythic shadow sort years ago, another one into something similar to a legendary hero awoken only in times of dire crisis. But then, if I need stats, I´ll crunch something together *shrugs*. For me, chars of such legendary status are more about fluff, than crunch. As I said, there are some nice ideas, but I´m doubtful as to how useful those are for a regular campaign.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it best if we Candlekeepers get out of the habit of posting WotC articles wholesale from the wizards site, less we draw unwanted scrutiny from corporate lawyers and other unsavory types.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  01:08:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree with Brian. In the past, the link itself to a particular article has almost always been enough. And I think it's probably best that we stick to that policy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  01:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that several sites such as EN World and Paizo have members that have reposted articles wholesale from WOTC's site, ostensibly in response to the comments that some of the members of those boards have made about the fact that the material is "free," and that some members of the site aren't enrolled at WOTC's site.

Despite this fact, its always been our policy to avoid reposting large tracts of information, and I think its a good policy to retain. The article may be "free," but its still the property of WOTC, and its well within their rights to decide if they want it disseminated in a manner that they choose.

While this information is free, there is no doubt that WOTC would like the site trafic, and I don't think anyone should begrude them that. I know I would much rather that people interested in information from Candlekeep come to Candlekeep in order to get that information, rather than finding it reposted elsewhere, so we should afford WOTC the same courtesy.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  03:57:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arkhy, and others, ENWorld has also implimented a policy that they don't want articles posted and if they do find that that is the case, the post will be deleted.

Especially so when WOTC articles are from the pay site because it does get into a VERY gray area about fair use. Publishing things, as I've said repeatedly, on the net is STILL publishing it and WOTC owns those rights. It concerns me a lot, which is also why I was a hard arse about my material being republished elsewhere.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 May 2008 03:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  04:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update on EN World's policy, Kuje.

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 26 May 2008 04:12:28
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  20:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swung my scourge. The link should lead anyone to the article.

NB: Before you start and create a new "Insider" account, just use both your e-mail adress and the login password of your WotC messageboards account and you are there.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Zanan. I have a dial-up connection and I have had a lot of difficulty getting through to Candlekeep recently.

The link to "Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5," for those who missed it is http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428. Be certain to utilize its secrets today, so that you may enjoy your Epic character until Wizards tells you that he died a hundred years ago or is a drooling, raving, psychotic mutant.

Oh, and fellow Senior Scribes, Masters, and other learnèd folk: I can see why whole articles are being reproduced in full here and elsewhere. Simply reading (so-called) "Dragon" articles requires signing in to "D&D Insider," and some folk (secret Deneirath, I suppose) realize that other people (such as I) think that our e-mail addresses and other personal information is no damned business of Wizards of the Coast, and they are kind enough to freely provide us with information which is supposed to be free. I have tried for a quarter hour to get the above page to load, and it wasn't until I turned off my modem that I received this message: "Dragon articles require that you sign-in to D&D Insider to view the content." Wizards also demands this information (which they can sell to other companies or give to the government) before they give us the crucial parts of books such as Anauroch (for which we have already given them US $30), which they did not include include in the book (nor have available online when the book went on sale) a fact mentioned only in a small box and of which the casual bookstore browser (and every Internet shopper) would be unaware.

Frankly, I have come to the opinion that there is nothing Hasbro is offering now (and forever more) that is worth that much trouble on my part, particularly since they want me to kill off all of my characters and make obsolete the THOUSANDS of dollars which I have already spent on their products. Some of my characters are older (by the Gregorian calendar) than Wizards of the Coast itself, so I fart in the general direction of WotC.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000