Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pondering the Mirror of Opposition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  14:22:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so I suddenly had an idea while reading the scroll about evil copies of the players. The magical item known as a mirror of opposition (click here for SRD description) was mentioned.

Two thoughts arise from reading that description.

1) Is the duplicate really evil, or is it like the clone spell, where the clone and the original are compelled to fight each other? Second edition had that "gotta kill the other" compulsion for the clone spell, but 3E does not appear to have it. The clone spell is part of the creation process of the mirror, but the spell does not appear to (and it didn't in 2E) mirror the original's equipment, and the guaranteed destruction of the duplicate is not part of the spell in either edition of the game. So the inclusion of that spell could make the argument for evil or just wanting to be the only one go either way.

2) So what happens if the original escapes and the duplicate is unable to kill him/her? Does it dedicate its life to hunting down the original? Does it say "the hells with it" and go about the same life that the original led? Does it say "the hells with it" and go be an evil version of the original?

Based solely on the behavior of the Manshoon clones, I'm thinking the mirror of opposition clone would do its own thing if the original couldn't be found or was too far away, and that it would have the same alignment as the original. But either way, I'm seeing some potential ideas here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  14:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the potential with this, it could create some good campaign arcs or some nice recurring villains or side quests as well.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  16:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say the copy doesn't need to be evil, even though it might be an antagonist.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  17:11:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought on the Mirror was always that it didn't so much create a duplicate of the individual; but instead acted as a gateway to a different world so similar that it pulled into the PC's world an opposite; but nearly identical being.

As an example, the party, having fallen prey to the mirror and barely escaping its trap covered the mirror and took it with them. The party later was faced with an evil wizard, and they used the mirror to "summon" a good version of the evil wizard. After the Good Wizard helped the party defeat the Evil Wizard, the Good Wizard remained and actually became friends with the party.

That is just the sort of idea I had about the mirror...which is a great difference from the official version.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  22:49:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just going from the description - its a mirror of opposition - so the figure that steps out of the mirror is the antithesis of the PC, which does not mean it is evil, LN vs CN for instance - if a N character looks I would make the opposite one of the 4 extreme alignments LG CG LE CE (for game purposes this is probably the most interesting alignment to view the mirror!).

I would say that it is not a clone, but literally a fully living mirror image of the PC, that is driven to perform one task above all others, that is to do away with the PC, that they have no choice in as they are compelled to do so by the magic of the mirror (like a summoned creature obeying the commands of the caster regardless of personal safety, or summoned barabrians from the Horn of Summoning etc). I think this is implicit in the magic of the mirror hence the battle between the 'twins'.

As to your second point - what happens if the original gets away? - is an interesting question

If the mirror being is similarly equipped/spells learned etc, whatever the PC does the mirror being can also do and so can follow if the PC flees, however if someone else does something to the PC to get them away then the mirror being is stuck. If this happened, this is what I would rule.

The mirror being would be compelled to find the PC and would do so straight away using all skills/abilities/magic it can. It instinctively knows the general direction of, and distance away from, the PC and sets out to find them, which means the PC must continue to move if he/she does not want to be caught by their mirror 'twin'. The mirror being will continue to hunt for the PC for 'as long as it can'.......

Now then, 'for as long as it can' is a perfect game plot for the DM - how long is 'as long'? a week? a month? 10 years? If the DM decides that after 'X' time the compulsion of the mirror fades, then it potentially leaves a free willed being wandering around to do what they want to, rather than being forced to do something. At this point they may decide to continue to hunt the original PC as they are (from my standpoint as a DM) still their ultimate nemisis, or they may decide to do others things as well and/or instead of.

If I was DM'ing they would still want to kill the PC but would do other things as well - just think of the fun they could have, looking up contacts of the PC or acting against what the 'general population' percieve the PC to normally be like (no more helping grannies across the road etc.......). This makes life very difficult for the PC and affects their friends, partners, faith, etc etc etc. This is a much 'better' way to harm a roleplayed PC then by attacking them directly, by hurting friends and their reputation it does more 'damage' to the character IMO.

I can't see why the mirror being cannot become free-willed a la the Manshoon Clones, (and I have a theory about the those particular Clones http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4136&whichpage=2). It nicely fits in with the existing lore of compelled beings breaking free of their compulsion and attempting their own actions, so can easily be applied to mirror beings if a DM wants to.

Its a win-win as a DM if the PC gets away. The PC has a nemisis intent of their destruction initially by comabat, that in time becomes destruction by other means id the being becomes free-willed and acts more rationally in bringing down the PC.

I like it

Just my thoughts.

Damian
ps I don't play 3.X and haven't read the SRD so have no idea how this fits within the structure of the rules. This is purely how I would houserule what would happen.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 06 May 2008 00:12:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page