Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Shield of Weeping Ghosts: Chapters 20 - 26
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  00:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr. Davis,

I just finished reading this book yesterday and I was mightily impressed. Bastun's inner struggles and monologue nicely paralleled the hectic chase through Shandalaur as Thaena's and Anilya's forces were steadily whittled away.

I liked the how Bastun's staff seemed to be both an arcane and physical weapon at the same time; storing spells and shapeshifting into a fearsome axe for close combat. Did you make that up or is there a reference in a sourcebook?

Also, was there a brief connection in this book with the antagonists in your other novel Bloodwalk? In chapter 14, when Bastun confronts the mad Creel shamaness, she mumbles, "the old Order...twilight..failed us. Their old man is dead. Prince Serevan rises with a promise...of power." Does this reference the Order of Twilight cult that worships Gargauth? Dumping one archdevil for another hmmm?

PS: another kudos for the pre-Prologue story "Seven They Were" on the WOTC site regarding the origins of the Seven. Heartbreaking and chilling at the same time.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090511

I was confused though, why was there a plug for Restless Shore right before the short story? At first I thought your new book continued the setting and characters of Shield of Weeping Ghosts, when actually it's a totally different area and time frame.

Edited by - Aysen on 12 Jul 2009 00:22:56
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  05:54:17  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just finished reading this book yesterday and I was mightily impressed. Bastun's inner struggles and monologue nicely paralleled the hectic chase through Shandalaur as Thaena's and Anilya's forces were steadily whittled away.

I liked the how Bastun's staff seemed to be both an arcane and physical weapon at the same time; storing spells and shapeshifting into a fearsome axe for close combat. Did you make that up or is there a reference in a sourcebook?

Glad you enjoyed Aysen and thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts!

The axe-staff was inspired by the Rod of Lordly Might (3.5 DM Guide), though mostly just the shape-shifting weapon quality. I wanted Bastun to have an available weapon, but not end up carrying an armory on his back (plus I also thought it would look wicked cool )

quote:
Also, was there a brief connection in this book with the antagonists in your other novel Bloodwalk? In chapter 14, when Bastun confronts the mad Creel shamaness, she mumbles, "the old Order...twilight..failed us. Their old man is dead. Prince Serevan rises with a promise...of power." Does this reference the Order of Twilight cult that worships Gargauth? Dumping one archdevil for another hmmm?

Well, consider those easter eggs well found! Also, there was a suspicious looking book pulled out of Anilya's pack...

And the Restless Shore plug with "Seven They Were" was merely some promotion for the new book. The short story was written last year and I think got lost in the shuffle while 4ED was being rolled out, so a little late, but better late than never. Next year's offerings should all roll out together to avoid any confusion.

Edits continue on Circle of Skulls, but I'm putting together some ideas for the web-content (mwahaha!).

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  04:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit late to the scroll, but I'm slowly catching up on the end-of-3e novels that I haven't read yet. In this case, I had an entire plane ride to read the book, so I finished in a couple of hours (though the double-vision at the end required a bit of rereading).

I agree with most everyone else here, it was a really fun read. The score for the Citadels series now stands at two excellent (SoWG and Sentinelspire), one good-until-the-last-chapter (Neversfall), and one utterly horrible (Obsidian Ridge). I'm really, really happy that I could put this book in the first category, and not the last.

The one thing that bugged me was the references to the Ilythiiri, though I think it may be more a 3e design flaw than the book itself. 3e had some sort of fixation on Ilythiir and Imaskar; every time a novel needed some sort of ancient villain, it was one of those two. As a fan of more obscure villains, like the Shoon Imperium, I was a bit disappointed. Fortunately, it wasn't a bit point in the book.

My other criticism is another problem with the 3e system, where it's way too obvious that the author is writing specific game mechanics into the novel. For instance, I haven't read Complete Warrior in a little while, but the "Oh, he's a rage mage" kept clubbing me over the head. That's one thing that 2e had over 3e, the ruleset was less detailed and more general, which meant it was a whole lot harder to use as a crutch in the novels.

Not meaning to be insulting, like I said, I really liked the book. It's just that there were some points that just screamed "GAMING NOVEL!!" which pulled me out of the story and detracted from the experience.

I read Bloodwalk and enjoyed that one too, though in that case it suffered a bit in comparison since I bought it at the same time, and read it a few days after, the phenomenal Blackstaff. And I won't be reading your next, unfortunately. I refuse to buy any 4e material on general principal.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  07:04:02  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly glad to be in the first category! Glad you liked, Hoondatha!

I will say the Ilythiiri elements arrived honestly to the book. As I did research on the area I was shocked to find out how far back the history went, especially when I began asking about info on the portal's origins. But they did have a minor role, so any involved agent or empire would have had just a background part, I didn't want to focus. Nothing against the drow, but I think they are well covered elsewhere in Realms novels.

The gaming references have seemed to be hit and miss. Some gamers catch 'em and non-gamers (with the exception of one that I know of) don't notice much, so long as they don't interfere with the story too much I'm happy with that.

As for 4E...well, that's a long running debate I suppose. I say play the game ya' enjoy and read what ya' like. I'm keeping up with the Realms lore, but must admit to still learning the 4E rules, so I just stick to the story and the characters. I'll leave the levels and stats to those who know better (or those who convert to 2E/3E ).

Thanks for your comments Hoondatha! And maybe someday when 5E is out you'll give the 4E books a shot, heh! 'Till then, well met and all the best!
--James

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. That sort of reminds me of a comment Mark Sehensedt (I can never spell his name correctly) made about Frostfell. Aparently, when he was starting, he innocently asked Ed if he had any unpublished notes on Cormyr's War Wizards. Ed said that he was sure he could find something or another. A few days later, forty close-typed pages show up.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Heh. That sort of reminds me of a comment Mark Sehensedt (I can never spell his name correctly) made about Frostfell. Aparently, when he was starting, he innocently asked Ed if he had any unpublished notes on Cormyr's War Wizards. Ed said that he was sure he could find something or another. A few days later, forty close-typed pages show up.

lol, very close to what happened with SoWG. One simple question led to a wealth of lore (many thanks to Eric Boyd and George Krashos!).

Go to Top of Page

alarion
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2009 :  14:09:55  Show Profile  Visit alarion's Homepage Send alarion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James,I got a serious problem! I can't access your short story "Seven They Were" on this link http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/20090511 . When I go to the link at the end of the page "Continue the story..." it simply returns to the same page. Do you have other option to access this story?

Thanks a lot!

"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus Decimus Meridius
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2009 :  18:25:43  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got ya' covered alarion, an alternate link at thy request!

http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_wil2_2.pdf

Enjoy!
--James

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  20:39:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent read. I enjoyed. Rated it 9/10.

Bastun and Anilya were very well developed. The revelations at the end surprised me...I didn't see Levistus coming...The winter, ice-mad prince, and the prince of Hell reminded me much of Frostfell.

I'm glad a durthan is given enough "exposure." The durthans are hardly given "screen time." I just wished though that Anilya's death made more sense.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Miraculixx
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  17:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Miraculixx's Homepage Send Miraculixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the book today. Since i grew up, with english not my mother language, i had to re-read some passages. But overall a very exciting story, and with Rashamen country/culture...? The only mention i had of Rashamen was the PC Game called "Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate II" with "MInsc" as Henchman and the "Windwalker Triology" from Miss Cunningham with "Fyodor" as Berserker.
In Neverwinter Nights II, also a video/pc game, the enhancement "Mask of Betrayer" puts the player into Rashamen. Great Game, and best of all, my best information on Rashamen.

Very interesting setting, interesting story, Bastun as character was interesting, the rest of the cast was well.

@James P. Davis
Are there plans of you, to continue or to write new stories in Rashamen?
I would like to read them, in this country, which is so unscouted.

P.S: What are the "Three gods, godesses" ??
Mystra, Chauntea and ??
I Dont know, please help me out here
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  20:41:32  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great book? Some questions that remained after the story have been answered by the forum here. Regards to the questions of what the Breath and Shield referred to. I believe that it was like a trial for Bastun to truly find out what happed to both his sister and his mentor. I did see a bit of regret from Bastun for not leaving the party at the beginning and it plagued him the whole time throughout the book. After the revelation of what actually happened with his sister being delivered by Duras on his last words solidified his status in finishing out the quest they stumbled upon. So the meaning of what the Shield and Breath represent in my opinion is the answer to the questions that haunt the person seeking the hidden answer is what I believe it represents. Whether good or bad, you will get your answer. Once again great read, but I do have to do my homework on the Rashamen culture and background.

In regards to the link that you have provided James, I cannot access the link for some reason. Every time I click on it, my explorer cannot read it for some reason. Is there any way I could read it from another sight?

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf

Edited by - Ada on 03 Oct 2012 21:02:38
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  21:30:03  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think since the link is a direct pdf file, it might be easier to right click and save as, then open it directly with Adobe Reader.

Glad you liked the book and you have an interesting take on the ending. I have to admit, I hate explaining too much directly in a story. Magic should be a mystery and those creepy gray areas between known spell and lingering effect are my favorite bits to explore. :)

--James

Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  21:42:56  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks James, that helped.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000