Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Threat from the Sea/Dajobas Article Ideas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2008 :  20:55:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Nick Logue (frequent Dragon and Dungeon contributor and oft times Eberron freelance author) has started up game company called Sinister Adventures, and has been publishing articles on various topics, mainly to support a mini-campaign called the Razor Coast that he is publishing.

You can buy the Dajobas article here at Paizo:

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/sinisterAdventures/v5748btpy82qi

The crux of the article is to detail an ancient shark god, Dajobas, and gives a monster, some feats, and a PrC to support the shark god's cult.

When I read through this, it started to make me want to use some of these items for a Threat from the Sea based game. I really liked the idea of other Dajobas/Sekolah starting to "pick off" followers of other gods, and the PrC and the Drolshargs spreading lycanthropy.

Anyway, if anyone else has picked up this article, let me know if you have any ideas on how to use this for Sekolah or the events surrounding the Threat from the Sea. It just really started to trip my imagination.

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2008 :  22:31:12  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the article a few days after it was on the site and found out today that it can be downloaded for free at drivetrhuRPG...
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=55587&it=1

I liked the whole thing but don't have any further ideas to share, just wanted to point out the freebe-link.

Edited by - tauster on 03 May 2008 22:32:19
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2008 :  22:35:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, given the price I didn't mind paying full price for it, but its a good article to check out for anyone that doesn't want to shell out the money first. The article just really got me to thinking about a dynamic, ongoing part of a campaign really using the Threat from the Sea timeline, especially picturing Sekolah subverting worshipers of Umberlee and other sea gods in Seros during that time.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that mini-campaign part of the Golarion setting, or is it separate from that?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  03:45:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that mini-campaign part of the Golarion setting, or is it separate from that?

Nick started up his Sinister Adventures company right before he got hired on full time by Paizo, so its a side venture. He said he's not going to do a full world to put the Razor Coast in, so that it can be dropped into as many campaign settings as possible. The same goes for the Dark Vistas gothic horror campaign he's putting out later on.

He is, however, going to do a campaign setting for his d20 Future campaign setting that he is working on, the Dark Horizons line, which is interesting, because while I've seen a ton of d20 fantasy settings, I've not seen many OGL science fiction settings done.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  03:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, thanks for the information, KEJR.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  06:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take a good read through of the article in the next day or two, KnightErrantJR, as I'm very interested in all things sea-related.

In the meantime, my initial idea which immediately springs to mind is perhaps having a coastal town which turns to worship of Dajobas, initially in order to up their commercial fishing/shipping trade perhaps, and then end up getting sucked into the cult further (perhaps at the behest of an out-of-town stranger who persuades them?).

If you're an HP Lovecraft fan, you could use elements of the Innsmouth stories as part of this...but I'm not sure if that's your cup of tea (in my case, I'm a huge Lovecraftian, and always one to use cross-genre ideas in order confuse and keep the players guessing).

Just my $0.02 before I get a chance to thoroughly read the article!

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  04:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having taken a preliminary read through the article, I'm struck with a couple more adventure/campaign ideas - perhaps a ship goes missing and the adventurers are sent to investigate - or if they need a more personal connection, a friend/relative was onboard the ship which went missing.

What kind of level of adventurers were you planning to use for this, KnightErrantJR?

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  06:39:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More of a larva phase idea for if my PCs make it to the timeframe of the Threat from the Sea series, so that the main actions are just sahaugin attacking coastal cities and ships, but that there might be some sea priests that are well known to the locals that "convert" due to their near misses, and having sea faring races in fear of the Drolshargs.

Eventually the "normal" sahaugin troops would have a lot more wereshark support as shock troops, which seems to fit in well with Iakovas being the "prime mover" of Sekolah's forces.

Just some general brainstorming . . . I'd likely tailor this to the PCs for whatever level they are at when the timeframe rolls around.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 11 May 2008 06:40:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000