Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Any Reason for an elf to be exiled from Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  09:10:54  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my campaign one of the major NPCs is an former elf, now vampire wizzard. In the next two paragraphs i will post some information about him, just to give you an idea

He is a very interesting character open minded who can form an alliance only to betray it in the next turn (ala Cpt. Sparrow). He kind of dramatic figure, hes not really an evil guy, but certain events turned him to the dark side, and he is playing along quite well.

His goals, are very simple, so simple that he fears others wont understand and will pass him as weak. All he wants is to stop all the (evil) things he is doing right now (its not an easy thing, his masters and fellows have great expectations), to find a way to rescue his lost love (she is serving a demon) and to live together happily everafter (you see? he is a good guy)

I am working a bit in the background of the NPC, the facts are that
1. He was a Moon Elf, living somewhere(?) near High Forest

2. He fell in love with a sun elf who was adopted by a human family of wizzards who already had 2 (human) daughters

3. At the end he was exiled from Faerun (free to roam the planes but he could not step foot in Faerun or Arvador) (any idea for what should he have done, to deserve such a fate?)

4. His Sun elven love became a slave to a Deamon

The timeline of his background should be around the time of the Elven Crown Wars, when he was not a wizzard

Right now it looks like a list of scattered thoughts, maybe it is so. I am asking you to use your imagination and creativity and link those facts into a story, or a part of one. Ideas and suggestions are welcome as always. Let the brainstorming begin!

Thanks in advance!

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun is a very large place--I have to admit, I can't immediately think of temporal authority (even at the time of the Crown Wars) who would have the power to banish a person from all Faerun. I think it depends on what you mean by "banished". Is it some kind of magical, forced banishment? That, I could buy more easily.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Apr 2008 15:45:07
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  16:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a half-Irenicus, half-Bohdi, Half-Jack Sparrow, Half-Will Turner elf has been banished from Faerun...hmm, coming up with someone who could do that, let alone would do that is difficult in itself. It would have to be a concerted effort of different races. After all, even though Correlon banished the drow to underdark, It apperantly didn't keep them from coming back up. ...Ao maybe? And in order for him to move against a mortal...Yeah, umm, I normally Don't consider anything too lofty, but I have to say, I would scrap the whole banished from Faerun thing. Maybe a specifc country, or you could do the Irenicus thing and have him lose his elven blood, but the OP's idea is a little too...Imaginative

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  18:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy enough, he stumbled upon some magical device, maybe Imaskari in origin which did this to him. Or one of his enemies used such a device to do it. Maybe the wielder was killed and the device stolen and now held captive by the deamon who has his lover. Could create an interesting secondary goal. Especially if the deamon doesn't know how to use it or what it is.

If I remember right Imaskar did its slave importing and god banning around –4,366 DR and the last crown war was around -9,200 DR so there is a 5k year gap but for someone who has been around since the crown wars that isn't that long. Maybe the device was a prototype that only worked on mortals and had charges or something.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 25 Apr 2008 18:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  22:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demons and devils can not step into the prime material planes, it is part of the multiverse, the way things work they are outsiders. Magic could in some way attune his essence to the infernal planes making him a full outsider, there fore he would not be able to enter toril or even any other prime material plane with out being summoned there. not even the infinite staircase could take him there.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  04:06:37  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had in mind someshort of magical banishment, perhaps a powerfull geas spell, witch will trigger something bad for our little fellow. I didnt had time to think something about it for the time, please if you come with more ideas post them here.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  04:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been writing a story with a few planar banishments involved.

The way I've been handling them is rather like a geas with a specific condition to lift it. Maybe your character has a set of tasks he has to do before he can return to the prime material plane. Also you might want to give thought as to who would drop the geas on him and why, if you decide to run with this thought.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  06:32:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about, instead of being banished by some authority group, it's done by an individual? An individual would have any number of possible motivations... And the banishment could take the form of a spell that automatically kicks him to a random plane if he returns to the Prime, something that keeps him from using portals to the Prime, or even a cursed magical item that's inert everyone else, but does lethal damage on the Prime.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 May 2008 06:33:10
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  11:31:18  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

Also you might want to give thought as to who would drop the geas on him and why, if you decide to run with this thought.

Actually thats the main concept of that topic. Its a good thing you stated it, our discussion is, for the moment, only about the "type" of banishement (magical,divine etc)

Why should an elf being banished for faerun for what crime or deed? any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  13:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I just thought of a good one. Send him to plane that is near inescapable no portals out, no spelljamming, etc. May I suggest Ravenloft =). That should keep him busy and make for an interesting adventure to boot.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  23:28:11  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it necessarily has to be an all powerful banishment. When people are (well, were, I don't think you get banished these days) banished in reality it's more like if you come back here, we'll kill you. I do think that in D&D this is a lot more simple as well, and I'm sure there's a type of inevitable out there that deals in that kind of thing, and if there's not there should be. This is the type of thing they'd excel at, relentlessly monitoring Faerun for this NPCs presence and if detected producing an endless stream of inevitables and sending them out until he's dead or gone, and they're not the type by nature to forget a duty with the passage of time. Even the most powerful creatures would probably give up out of sheer annoyance that they're being hounded by inevitables for eternity, whether they're a challenge to destroy or not. It's not something that prevents them from returning other than better judgement.

A connection to the rise of the fey'ri wouldn't be unreasonable here, even though he's a moon elf (weren't they sun elves?), and would help tie in the connection of his love to a demon. Certainly a connection to them is a banishable offense by elven standards, they did lock away those guys for a few millenia.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  04:39:07  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Why should an elf being banished for faerun for what crime or deed? any ideas?

-There's numerous reasons. I feel obliged to point out, though, that due to the 'wandering' nature of Moon Elves, being 'banished' isn't as harsh of a penalty as being 'imprisoned' would be. Being 'banished' is a punishment that would impact Sun Elves slightly more.

-All that said...A little but more on the character is probably necessary. Usually, however, being banished is reserved for 'grave' crimes, so ultimatley keep that in mind. Perhaps the character, intentionally or accidentally, with good or bad intentions, defiled a family tomb? Elves don't take kindly to that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000