Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most powerful forgotten realms wizards...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  14:13:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Can I have a link to this ore see the original text from sage? Plz..
Here's one of those bits from Ed that I mentioned earlier:-

"Larloch is a onetime Netherese sorcerer (still possessed of a lot of Netherese scepters, which he knows how to make) who is now a quite insane "ultra-lich" (in this case, the term means he has many unknown powers which are up to you the DM, among them the fact that he can still learn and develop new spells, increase in levels, etc.). He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now, and he crafted many of his own undead abilities prior to undeath, which argues that he found his own 'process' for achieving lichdom.
Larloch is served by many (60+ ?) liches, formerly archwizards, whom he guides in concert, as the leader of a telepathic-web 'Overmind.' Thus far, neither psionics nor mind-influencing magics have ever been effective against him or any of his serviotr mages, because the others in the link can withstand and overcome such influences, causing them to fail.
In theory, an attack could reach all of them through the link, but some quite powerful Red Wizards have tried and failed (Szass Tam didn't try such an attack, which may be why he survived...he remains fearful of approaching Larloch and his mages, but fascinated by the details of their lichdom, hoping it might yield him some powers.)
One of Larloch's given-to-himself powers (which - in a long, involved, and secret, personally-developed process - cost him 10 years of life and some vitality, irrelevant of course given his goal of lichdom) is automatic spell reflection (of all magic cast upon him). He can by act of will override this ability, for example when he wants to work a spell on himself; otherwise, it always operates.
Mystra (Midnight's predecessor as the goddess) is said to have allowed Larloch to acquire powers approaching those of "old Netheril" in return for 'leaking' spells to persistent adventurers he or his minions might come into contact with, but this may be no more than rumour spread by the Zhents or Red Wizards or Dragon Cultists, designed to lure adventurers into Larloch-weakening forays...
As for Larloch knowing the identities and locations of other liches/Netherese survivors...no, only the one's he's destroyed. Larloch is too self-centered to hunt down folks who don't come within his easy reach. He controls plenty of archwizards/liches already, but may decide to try to either control or destroy a new one when they come into contact. He seems to be pursuing other goals, however. Which ones? That's up to each DM....."
Larloch and his lich minions have no interest in attracting attention that would waste their time and magical resources (and perhaps, if word got around how dangerous they were, even threaten their existence in the face of a concerted attack from various magical power groups working together). Larloch is not interested in ruling Faerun...but he IS interested in creating and controlling a series of magical gates linking many worlds (parallel Prime Material Planes) and Outer Planes...and so rigging their enchantments that anyone using them comes under his control/faces his forceful removal of their magic items, information from their mind, and so forth. The gates are easy for him to create (he licked all of those problems long ago). The control enchantments have been giving him troubles for thousands of years now, and as an obsessive perfectionist, he isn't going to let this rest until he gets everything just so...nor is he going to create the gates until he's ready to put the controls on them.
In short, he's a munchkin only if played that way. All Player Characters have to learn sometime that there are folks in the Realms just too powerful to tangle with.
I'm reminded of the original Realms campaign, and the Company of Crazed Venturers attacking Shaan the Serpent-Queen (who briefly appeared in a Wizards Three DRAGON article). She was busy working magic on a small island off Mintarn. They attacked, broke her concentration, and she looked up with an irritated frown. They bid her stop, or they'd destroy what she was working on; to demonstrate, one of the Company mages touched (and disintegrated) a stone he was standing beside.
She shook her head in derision, and touched the island beneath them, disintegrating IT, and dumping the Company into the chilly sea waves for a long swim...whilst she turned back to her spellcasting, floating on nothing and ignoring them once more.
A heavy-handed lesson, but...well, Larloch's in the same league, and more. Just consider him a power of the Realms and Don't Go There.
Ed"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2008 14:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  14:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learn something new every day, thanks The Sage and Wooly Rupert

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  15:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor
And let's not be all humanocentric here

Too bad, that's how I am.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  15:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

When Ed wrote "He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now", he didn't mean "This is Larloch's real definite level", it's a gesture to say "Larloch is extraordinarily dangerous, and in a different league from almost anyone else", just as he's portrayed in every other source.

Except Lords of Darkness, of course.

Sorry, I just could not resist.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  03:46:41  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Can I have a link to this ore see the original text from sage? Plz..
Here's one of those bits from Ed that I mentioned earlier:-

"Larloch is a onetime Netherese sorcerer (still possessed of a lot of Netherese scepters, which he knows how to make) who is now a quite insane "ultra-lich" (in this case, the term means he has many unknown powers which are up to you the DM, among them the fact that he can still learn and develop new spells, increase in levels, etc.). He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now, and he crafted many of his own undead abilities prior to undeath, which argues that he found his own 'process' for achieving lichdom.
Larloch is served by many (60+ ?) liches, formerly archwizards, whom he guides in concert, as the leader of a telepathic-web 'Overmind.' Thus far, neither psionics nor mind-influencing magics have ever been effective against him or any of his serviotr mages, because the others in the link can withstand and overcome such influences, causing them to fail.
In theory, an attack could reach all of them through the link, but some quite powerful Red Wizards have tried and failed (Szass Tam didn't try such an attack, which may be why he survived...he remains fearful of approaching Larloch and his mages, but fascinated by the details of their lichdom, hoping it might yield him some powers.)
One of Larloch's given-to-himself powers (which - in a long, involved, and secret, personally-developed process - cost him 10 years of life and some vitality, irrelevant of course given his goal of lichdom) is automatic spell reflection (of all magic cast upon him). He can by act of will override this ability, for example when he wants to work a spell on himself; otherwise, it always operates.
Mystra (Midnight's predecessor as the goddess) is said to have allowed Larloch to acquire powers approaching those of "old Netheril" in return for 'leaking' spells to persistent adventurers he or his minions might come into contact with, but this may be no more than rumour spread by the Zhents or Red Wizards or Dragon Cultists, designed to lure adventurers into Larloch-weakening forays...
As for Larloch knowing the identities and locations of other liches/Netherese survivors...no, only the one's he's destroyed. Larloch is too self-centered to hunt down folks who don't come within his easy reach. He controls plenty of archwizards/liches already, but may decide to try to either control or destroy a new one when they come into contact. He seems to be pursuing other goals, however. Which ones? That's up to each DM....."
Larloch and his lich minions have no interest in attracting attention that would waste their time and magical resources (and perhaps, if word got around how dangerous they were, even threaten their existence in the face of a concerted attack from various magical power groups working together). Larloch is not interested in ruling Faerun...but he IS interested in creating and controlling a series of magical gates linking many worlds (parallel Prime Material Planes) and Outer Planes...and so rigging their enchantments that anyone using them comes under his control/faces his forceful removal of their magic items, information from their mind, and so forth. The gates are easy for him to create (he licked all of those problems long ago). The control enchantments have been giving him troubles for thousands of years now, and as an obsessive perfectionist, he isn't going to let this rest until he gets everything just so...nor is he going to create the gates until he's ready to put the controls on them.
In short, he's a munchkin only if played that way. All Player Characters have to learn sometime that there are folks in the Realms just too powerful to tangle with.
I'm reminded of the original Realms campaign, and the Company of Crazed Venturers attacking Shaan the Serpent-Queen (who briefly appeared in a Wizards Three DRAGON article). She was busy working magic on a small island off Mintarn. They attacked, broke her concentration, and she looked up with an irritated frown. They bid her stop, or they'd destroy what she was working on; to demonstrate, one of the Company mages touched (and disintegrated) a stone he was standing beside.
She shook her head in derision, and touched the island beneath them, disintegrating IT, and dumping the Company into the chilly sea waves for a long swim...whilst she turned back to her spellcasting, floating on nothing and ignoring them once more.
A heavy-handed lesson, but...well, Larloch's in the same league, and more. Just consider him a power of the Realms and Don't Go There.
Ed"

60 Liches and 3 Demi liches. Almost all of them were former archwizards of at least 18th level or higher. Several of the liches he dominates are listed in one place or another.

Heck, he gave away powerful artifacts like the death moon orb and Thakorsil's seat to Szass Tam like an adult gives candy to a child because he did him a favor and because items of tremendous power like that are mere trinkets compared to the other items he possesses. Szass Tam himself is a super power, yet was visibly afraid of Larloch and would never dream of going against him. I can;t imagine anyone would. Larloch never leaves the warlock's crypt, where he has 60+ liches and 3 Demi liches to throw at anyone who attacks, not to mention the spellpool of all spellpools, 25 Ioun stones float about his head, and access to spells nobody since the fall of Mystryl has had access to.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  17:17:05  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me there can be no other than Ioulaum is the most powerful, not only spell caster, but entity on Toril.

He was the first to rule a floating Netherese city, and survives today, as an undead "Elder Brain" (Underdark, page: 84) But not only is the bastard an elder brain, he is also lvl 31 wiz, lvl 5 arch mage and a lvl 5 Netherese Arcanist. this combined with the power and elder brain has, it makes him a CR 66, far beyond any known lich, arch-lich or demi-lich.

If one were to maximize his hitpoint he would end op, not only a lvl 41 arcane spell caster but end up with a total of 804 hit points. That is a lot of hitpoints for a lvl 41 spellcaster, in the form of a large abbarition (CR 25)

If you were to engage combat, with all the 7 sisters, Elminster, Khelben, Halastar, Larloch and Aumvor, The Dragon Klauth... The would all fail.

He is a match for the gods. And this can not be agued.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  17:41:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About this Larloch dude... I know he has FINOMINAL COSMIC POWER... But automatic spell reflection is just stupid I think. Not that my own lvl 20 bad ass wizard in our campaign would go agains him... yet. But to make him effectively immune to spell from attacking spellcasters is a wrong way to go.... anyone even AO should be able to die.. one way or the other be means of spell or physical power... But total immunity to spells no way!!! Or have miss understod somthing? Does it only effect tageted spells and not area spells???

And just a little info. In our campaign Waterdeep was attacked by a legion of undead. About 100.000 we battled and battled these neverending hords upon hords of undead... A had as a wizard discovered a scroll of some sort, which nobody could realy tell me anything about... not even Khelben knew what spell it was or what it did, just that it was most powerful. I then, when all hope seemed lost, casted the spell Fly, and used the scroll... Man was i surpriced... I summoned a host of Liches, in mid air, and one of them had had about 30 ioun stones floating around his head. Cocky as i was a said to them: " I am Melcar(char. name) kneel before me or die!" He turned his head and said: " Im am Larloch... How dare you summon me... the he luckely saw the massive army beneath him and then said.. paing no heet to me, She did it after all... He the cast a sigle spell... and about 20.000 undead minions dyed.. they all just disapeard...

That was my first but will not be my last encounter with the mageling Larloch.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  18:01:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

He is a match for the gods. And this can not be agued.

Oh yes it can. Most readily. Especially considering that no one can kill a god without divine assistance... Chuck this guy into a dead magic area, and even a low-level fighter could take him down.

And do you really think he could stand up against Larloch's 60+ liches, all at once?

And how do you think he could take the Chosen, when they could toss Laeral's Crowning Touch at him -- a spell that would cause him to lose spell levels any time he cast a spell?

Or Mystra herself, who could deny him all arcane abilities?

I'm not saying Ioulaum's not powerful, just that he's not all-powerful, and certainly not a match for the gods.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  18:04:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

About this Larloch dude... I know he has FINOMINAL COSMIC POWER... But automatic spell reflection is just stupid I think. Not that my own lvl 20 bad ass wizard in our campaign would go agains him... yet. But to make him effectively immune to spell from attacking spellcasters is a wrong way to go.... anyone even AO should be able to die.. one way or the other be means of spell or physical power... But total immunity to spells no way!!! Or have miss understod somthing? Does it only effect tageted spells and not area spells???

And just a little info. In our campaign Waterdeep was attacked by a legion of undead. About 100.000 we battled and battled these neverending hords upon hords of undead... A had as a wizard discovered a scroll of some sort, which nobody could realy tell me anything about... not even Khelben knew what spell it was or what it did, just that it was most powerful. I then, when all hope seemed lost, casted the spell Fly, and used the scroll... Man was i surpriced... I summoned a host of Liches, in mid air, and one of them had had about 30 ioun stones floating around his head. Cocky as i was a said to them: " I am Melcar(char. name) kneel before me or die!" He turned his head and said: " Im am Larloch... How dare you summon me... the he luckely saw the massive army beneath him and then said.. paing no heet to me, She did it after all... He the cast a sigle spell... and about 20.000 undead minions dyed.. they all just disapeard...

That was my first but will not be my last encounter with the mageling Larloch.

Total immunity to spells means magic doesn't affect him if he doesn't want it to. That includes that summoning spell.

Larloch is meant to be something akin to a force of nature: something you can't stop, and that you either don't mess with, or that you get out of the way of. And that's why the creator of the setting made Larloch so powerful.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  20:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course, sheer magical might is only one of many ways to measure power.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  01:22:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Larloch is meant to be something akin to a force of nature: something you can't stop, and that you either don't mess with, or that you get out of the way of. And that's why the creator of the setting made Larloch so powerful.
Indeed. Ed Greenwood basically said about him, "Don't go there."

He's meant more to be a legend than anything else; few hard facts.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  10:45:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say the last page here was very educational.

thank you for the lesson

there is no knowledge that is not power

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  11:59:41  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just get one thing strait... Is Larloch effectively immune to magic or what? If it is possible to create that sort of resistance it is surely possible to break it! Im not saying that I or we in our campaing have any kind of lust to go against him, but im just trying to get a feel for his power, so that I can compare it to my characters power... So for all you Sages of the Multiverse, please answer me this. Can he og can he not be effected by any spell cast by an offencive spellcaster??? And how about Silverfire or raw magic energy??

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  12:31:48  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohh yeah... one last thing...

quote:
And do you really think he could stand up against Larloch's 60+ liches, all at once?

I did not mean againt the whole of the fortress "the warloch's Crypt" but only against Larloch in mano a mano fight.

And by the way, does anyone know were to find the stats and info en this guy Ioulaum???
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  13:15:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just get one thing strait... Is Larloch effectively immune to magic or what? If it is possible to create that sort of resistance it is surely possible to break it! Im not saying that I or we in our campaing have any kind of lust to go against him, but im just trying to get a feel for his power, so that I can compare it to my characters power... So for all you Sages of the Multiverse, please answer me this. Can he og can he not be effected by any spell cast by an offencive spellcaster??? And how about Silverfire or raw magic energy??

Thanks!

Yes, he is immune to magic unless he chooses otherwise. And I'd say that this is one of those powers that Mystra had to personally okay -- so your theoretical attacking mage would be trying to get past what is nearly a divine blessing.

And silver fire could likely get past it -- but why? Silver fire is only wielded by Mystra's Chosen, and she's fine with what Larloch is doing.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  13:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ohh yeah... one last thing...

quote:

I did not mean againt the whole of the fortress "the warloch's Crypt" but only against Larloch in mano a mano fight.

And by the way, does anyone know were to find the stats and info en this guy Ioulaum???

Mano a mano is an irrelevant concept. Any serious combat is going to see either spellcaster bringing in whatever resources are necessary -- and for Larloch, that would include 60+ liches. If he was hard-pressed in a fight (which he wouldn't be, with his immunity to magic), then he'd be stupid not to bring them in.

This is part of the reason we discourage X vs Y threads -- because in any combat, changing a single parameter could throw the fight one way or the other.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  13:38:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We know next to nothing about Ioulaum. Even the material that provides us with the 'best information' is the Netheril boxed set - with all its drawbacks and failings. I'm sure there is much, much more to learn about Ioulaum. For all you know, he was the Mystryl equivalent of a Chosen of Mystra ... And to make things more interesting, he might not have known that he was.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  14:48:16  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It funny to me, that betwene me and my friends I'm the Sage when it come to realm lore... but in here... i know close to nothing... Not to offend anyone but damn, we are Nerds!!!

It's true... that, why shoud anyone wants to mess with Larloch, since he is like the most powerful being on the face of Toril, but i find it facinating just to compare NPC to each other and my own character... And I just dont like the idea, that someone can be so powerful that they cant be destroyed.

So who would be able to invade The Warlochs Crypt if any??? If no gods are involved, my gues would be that need a person about lvl 30, who was Chosen af mystra and the magister at the same time... And who had acces to some reale powerful items. But when I have read every entry on this topic I have not found any info that supports the posibility even. My gues would be that it had to be some survivor from Netherill, or one of the founders of The Windsong Tower perhabs. Perhaps the Srinshee??? Or perhaps Vecna? or is he not a FR NPC???

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  17:39:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vecna is not FR.

The Magister is not always the most powerful mage around.

Why someone would want to invade Warlock's Crypt is a better question... Anyone who wanted in would be better off trying to deal peacefully with Larloch, instead of trying to blast their way in (I'd favor a snowball in the Nine Hells over this approach) or sneak their way in (possible, but I'd make sure I was square with the gods before trying it).

Just because someone is there, it doesn't mean they are there to be fought.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  18:27:23  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, it is most certainly possible to find ways around Larloch's abilities. However, it is the sort of thing that takes millennia to accomplish.

There is always a way, it's just that the way might not be very easy to accomplish through D&D campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  16:43:27  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is very true... To bypass somthing that was created so long ago, by a Netherese Arcanist, who surely was more powerful then, than I can hope to become, would be with out a doubt a great feat. But is there realy no one more powerful then him? It does not seem so... Im in great awe of this guy!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  19:21:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

And, it is most certainly possible to find ways around Larloch's abilities. However, it is the sort of thing that takes millennia to accomplish.

There is always a way, it's just that the way might not be very easy to accomplish through D&D campaigns.

A:like a very huge anti-magic field

failing that, through a party that brings the house down, in other words collapse the warlock crypt.

assmung he doesnt teleport out he is all dead.

but larloch is larloch, and he would likely teleport out along with his 60+ liches, and his vampire lts, and every bit of his undead army to crush you afterwards.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  11:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or he indeed is destroyed, and reforms 1d10 days later.

That, or he simply casts Resilient Sphere.

Collapsing dungeons ontop of BBEGs never works, trust me!

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  16:20:03  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon
A:like a very huge anti-magic field

failing that, through a party that brings the house down, in other words collapse the warlock crypt.

assmung he doesnt teleport out he is all dead.

but larloch is larloch, and he would likely teleport out along with his 60+ liches, and his vampire lts, and every bit of his undead army to crush you afterwards.....

I'm talking more like traveling the planes to gain allies, augmenting your personal power through decade to century long processes, doing favors for gods, acquiring artifacts, etc. Then slowly working to reduce Larloch's power by figuring out how to sever his control of the lichs, stealing some of his items (spellbooks if possible) and a host of other things.

Not so much "cast a single spell". Not even "I've worked at building my forces for decades!".
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  16:26:16  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is very true... To bypass somthing that was created so long ago, by a Netherese Arcanist, who surely was more powerful then, than I can hope to become, would be with out a doubt a great feat. But is there realy no one more powerful then him? It does not seem so... Im in great awe of this guy!

And he may not even be the biggest and baddest in the Realms. There are beings that are FAR older than Larloch, so far as anyone knows, who have been practicing magic since the dawn of life on Toril. They could be more accomplished than Larloch when it comes to magic. They might not be though.

Mostly a DM decision though. It's pretty irrelevant to the world in general because beings like that would end up destroying life on Toril if they had a direct fight.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  17:06:35  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is older, and more powerful than him? I have not yet seen it. I thought that Ioulaum was more powerful, perhaps even the Srinshee, but aparantly he it top dog... If you know someone or anything, then please inlighten me!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  23:19:22  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who is older, and more powerful than him? I have not yet seen it. I thought that Ioulaum was more powerful, perhaps even the Srinshee, but aparantly he it top dog... If you know someone or anything, then please inlighten me!

I haven't read the lore myself but apparently there are some sarrukh lichs somewhere who may have been practicing magic since the Days of Thunder (ie. the very beginnings of Toril).

But, as far as anyone with some hefty lore, Larloch stand tallest IMO and in many others opinions. But it really isn't a definitive type of ranking and it's definitely subject to change.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  00:47:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-It is very likely that Ka'Narlist of Atorrnash is/was more powerful. We know he is/was older...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  23:02:12  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And he may not even be the biggest and baddest in the Realms. There are beings that are FAR older than Larloch, so far as anyone knows, who have been practicing magic since the dawn of life on Toril. They could be more accomplished than Larloch when it comes to magic. They might not be though.

Mostly a DM decision though. It's pretty irrelevant to the world in general because beings like that would end up destroying life on Toril if they had a direct fight.

IMO the guy seems to be a power. I mean really, it seems like he could go toe to toe with a bonifide demigod. If you are more powerful than that, you are a god, no if's and or buts about it. I wonder how Larloch would have fared versus a recently acscended Vecna or some of the Lords of Hell or Abyss. Surely he's had run ins with these types.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  20:42:32  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
IMO the guy seems to be a power. I mean really, it seems like he could go toe to toe with a bonifide demigod. If you are more powerful than that, you are a god, no if's and or buts about it. I wonder how Larloch would have fared versus a recently acscended Vecna or some of the Lords of Hell or Abyss. Surely he's had run ins with these types.

I'm quite sure, given that Velsharoon gained divinity, that Larloch has chosen not to become a god. Not everyone wants that gig.

Further, I'm also quite sure the he's had no direct battles with the Lords of Hell or any Demon Princes, because he's far to intelligent for that. He may have had dealings with them, but probably hasn't ever fought them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000