Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 A Rant? Chosen were 2 powerful, what about Szass?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:06:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILER FOR UNDEAD

One of the reason promoting the Sellplague and 4e was that the chosen were too powerfull and general mucked up the world.
Spoilers for Undead ahead!!!

After reading Undead, Szass Tam is all but a CHosen of Bane in Power and action(even if he is using Bane). I quite enjoyed it in fact! But how do the Wotc explain it??? Seems like hipocracy to me. Using a fair measuring stick, Tam is way too powerful, time to hit the reset! It would be easy, another wave of blue fire a year or two after the first and presto!

There is no way in the 9 hells to adventure antwhere near Thay without Tam mucking up your campaign with his vast new sphere of influence.

I actually have no problem with it, but it sure makes it look like the Sellplague was a surgical strike meant to criple and kill Mystra and her chosen.

Thanks for reading my rant..............maybe I have overblown it, but seeing a NPC do exactly the kind of things that the chosen supposedly were guilty of just kinda burns as you swallow it ya know?

Mod Edit: RW, I've installed a more prominent SPOILER notice, since such a note won't fit in your scroll's title.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2008 01:16:21

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read Undead yet, but that's ok.

As for this being a rant...nah, a vignette maybe... rants should be epic

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:34:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Haven't read Undead yet, but that's ok.

As for this being a rant...nah, a vignette maybe... rants should be epic

It really is a good book, I highly recommend it.

And nobody can rant like you my friend!

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  23:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The difference is that Szass Tam is a villain to be defeated by PCs, while Mystra's chosen were seen (by some) as superheroes who stole glory from the PCs.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  01:09:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The difference is that Szass Tam is a villain to be defeated by PCs, while Mystra's chosen were seen (by some) as superheroes who stole glory from the PCs.

That is a good point.

I also know many who play in such a way that Tam would be a "hero" and steal their glory

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  11:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Undead, and reading this / I agree… but there are many things that I don’t understand concerning the 4 edition. I just accept that they have ruined the realms (my opinion) and ill have nothing to do with it.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  11:49:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

After reading Undead, and reading this / I agree… but there are many things that I don’t understand concerning the 4 edition. I just accept that they have ruined the realms (my opinion) and ill have nothing to do with it.

Who do you mean with 'They': the Chosen or WotC?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Apr 2008 11:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  16:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, Szass Tam being powerful is "OK" because he's not a good guy.

Although I'd like to point out that the "Mystra's Chosen are superheroes" supposition on the part of some people is and always was incorrect.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 24 Apr 2008 20:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:07:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Although I'd like to point out that the "Mystra are superheroes" supposition on the part of some people is and always was incorrect.

Indeed. But, sadly, the designers have decided to listen to the small but vocal minority of non-Realms players with this complaint. Because, when trying to "improve" things, there's no one better to listen to than someone you'll never win over, no matter what you try.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/sarcasm]

Hey, it's all nice and peachy, the new Realms will be so awesome, because...well... the art is awesome.

[/sarcasm off]
[/vomit]

Admittedly, if they had a couple of nudes of Playmates in the new and improved Realms books, I would have to agree that the art is awesome, and I might just buy the books, but since that ain't the case...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  16:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Although I'd like to point out that the "Mystra are superheroes" supposition on the part of some people is and always was incorrect.

Indeed. But, sadly, the designers have decided to listen to the small but vocal minority of non-Realms players with this complaint. Because, when trying to "improve" things, there's no one better to listen to than someone you'll never win over, no matter what you try.

You said it. I don't even care to remeber all the times I've tried to argue in defense of the Realms and its NPCs at other gaming sites. Not even the most obvious logic has any affect. I.e., "YOU are the GM. If YOU do not want to have Mister Greenwood's nasty-bad NPCs 'ruining' your Realms, then don't use them!"
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  15:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. So they listen to the fanbase? Meh. I've used Chosen. Hell, a while ago they saved one.

Now whoa, I know, horrid huh? The way I always saw it, the game is about the PC's, not NPC's. Never had a problem yet. However, I'd likly just impose a DM stick if the PC's do try to go to them and beg for help.

1: "Nah, sorry, gotta go fight a demon lord. But here, a little bit of help with your plan..."
2: "Sorry... I do have to deal with the politics. I understand its dangerous, but the people here need me just as much...."
3: "...Its a TRAP!"
4: <Random Joe> Oh <blah> Isn't here right now. Don't know when he'll be back though. Sorry!"

There are so many things going on in the realms. Although the PC's are heroes, the focus on their plight is more important, not the other crap that the other heroes must take care of.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  16:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what's to stop Szass Tam teleporting in and annihilating a group of PC's at Level 3, hmm?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  17:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't the spellplague have simply turned all of the chosen of Mystra insane, swithing them into powerful evil beings for the PCs to defeat? I wonder how "that" would have been received hehe

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  17:47:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's ironic that Mystra and her Chosen are often the center of complaints, but Shar, Bane, and folks like Larloch aren't.

I think that it's okay to have too powerful bad guys, because that gives good guys something to work against -- and to especially relish defeating.

Too powerful good guys, on the other hand, are often simply those that can do something the PCs can't. They are an additional annoyance because despite being more powerful than the PCs, the PCs can't really fight them (they could, but it's often a stretch to have good guys trying to kill each other).

These aren't my opinions, BTW. These are simply my observations, and what I think are the origins of the "too powerful" complaint.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Alisttair's idea!

It would have been more interesting, a la the temptation of Elminster, to have Mystra's Chosen turned by Shar, rather than casting them aside.

Shar does seem to have all the fun running up to the Spellplague....
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  10:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's ironic that Mystra and her Chosen are often the center of complaints, but Shar, Bane, and folks like Larloch aren't.

I think that it's okay to have too powerful bad guys, because that gives good guys something to work against -- and to especially relish defeating.

Szass respawns tbh. Drops phat lewts.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  18:05:58  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Precisly...But what I wanna know is what lvl you have to be to enter the Thay-instance? Is it a 10 or 25 man instance and where can you see what loot he drops. I heard he drops the full mage tier 6... NICE

!"#¤%&/()=

One thing is for sure... My guild/group is going to kill him!!! Im fully epic geared, and fire spect...

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 02 Oct 2008 18:10:29
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2008 :  20:21:22  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is a position I really don't understand. If the Chosen steal the spotlight in the campaign it's the DM's fault, not the Chosen's.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  07:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

Which is a position I really don't understand. If the Chosen steal the spotlight in the campaign it's the DM's fault, not the Chosen's.

Exactly, the chosen are part of the landscape kinda like a mountain. If people always are on the shadowy side of that mountain its not a problem of the mountain.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  17:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I totally agree, but the truth of the matter is WotC noticed that there was a perception about the Chosen of Mystra (and other NPCs) being a "problem", and they set out to dispel that perception in their newer products.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  18:43:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't like it, though. If there's a problem with the setting (i.e. that continent of dragons that wants to take over the world), then the designers should correct the canon so that's not the focus of the game. If there are some characters in the setting that are considered the (for lack of a better term) 'Justice League' of the world, then the DM shouldn't use them if he doesn't want to. In all the 20+ years of gaming in the Realms and elsewhere, I've run into the Chosen twice. The first time was because my DM was putting the Realms through a Apocalypse story and, the creatures that were threatening to destroy the realms went after the high powered characters first (good and evil, Szass and Manshoon were immobilized at the same time as the Khelben and Storm). We were level 15 in that game. The second time, we ran in to Elminster at the very start of our epic-level adventures.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  20:24:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what I think is going to happen? The same thing that happened before.

Someone intro's one or more Chosen in fiction. Regardless of whether or not it was intended, the higher-ups push those Chosen to the front, put a bunch of spotlights on them, and say, "hey, check these guys out!"

And then someone creates a Chosen to another deity, and another author creates Chosen for a third deity... Meanwhile, the first author's Chosen have been held in the spotlight continuously. And then we wind up back where we were at the end of 3E: a Chosen arms race with a group of them being the Justice League of the Realms.

And then they'll blow it all up again, to take care of the problem.

They did it once before, and I can't say I expect them not to go happily traipsing down that road again.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  20:26:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They did it once before, and I can't say I expect them not to go happily traipsing down that road again.

Hasbro or DC Comics?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Magister Sunstrider
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  05:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Magister Sunstrider's Homepage Send Magister Sunstrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Precisly...But what I wanna know is what lvl you have to be to enter the Thay-instance? Is it a 10 or 25 man instance and where can you see what loot he drops. I heard he drops the full mage tier 6... NICE

!"#¤%&/()=

One thing is for sure... My guild/group is going to kill him!!! Im fully epic geared, and fire spect...

I have it on good authority that the Thay zone is for lvl 20+ toons and Szass is a max-lvl boss fight that needs an uber-geared MT and at least 2 OT's and lots of aoe. But don't worry, his master plan for world domination isn't started til you zone into the instance and you have 3 tries to kill him before he gets locked til downtime.
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  10:56:07  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Irony is, Magister Sunstrider, that I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that were to actually come to pass.... :-(

One thing, from personal experience, that I've noticed with the "The Chosen spoil the Realms" crowd is that now, with the Chosen no longer active in the Shattred Realms, they're now hitting upon further reasons to diss the 4e Realms - apparently there are still too many Gods, there is still too much background lore, etc etc etc etc.

In other words, the people WoTc listened to never had any interest in playing the Realms in the first place...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  15:37:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

In other words, the people WoTc listened to never had any interest in playing the Realms in the first place...

Yeah, I'd commented previously on the fact that they were catering to someone who wasn't going to be happy with them, no matter what happened...

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  15:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

Yeah, I'd commented previously on the fact that they were catering to someone who wasn't going to be happy with them, no matter what happened...

Well the reduction of all things is already apparent in the basic 4e design:
- fewer alignments,
- fewer gods,
- fewer planes,
- fewer spells,
- fewer skills ...
so I dont think they had any intention of listening to "Realms fans", because its pretty apparent that fans would demand story, detail and loads of possible choices. Those three are directly opposed to the central philosophy behind the new edition.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Magister Sunstrider
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  04:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Magister Sunstrider's Homepage Send Magister Sunstrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the whole "it must be made simpler" ethos of 4E is toxic to a lore heavy, story driven setting like the Realms. The choice WotC had to in regards to 4E and FR was either nuke the whole thing so you can rebuild from the ground up or spend the next 3 years writing a real campaign setting and player's guide that altered and expanded the rules, classes, and magic system to reflect the lore and feel of the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  05:22:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kinda funny. Before the release of the CS & PG, I told my friends that I was going to base my decision entirely on how they 'built' Elminster and Drizzt. Because, IMHO, the 3E versions of these characters are the 'truest' to their fictional abilities.

So, the books come out and ... nothing. No write-ups, no stats, no ability scores. Just a note that El's crazy and retired and not even that much on Drizzt.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  01:12:38  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, that no matter what any one thougt, they wanted a game as easylly to play a WOW. So no matter the age, or skills or knowledge of the realms, a 10 year old could sit down. check atlasloot and go from there...

Why would you play in a fictional world with endles stories and lore and possibilities is the whole reason for playing it in the first place, when there arent any???

To me it is apparent that they wanted money, and a tabletop computer game. And for that I can never forgive them. it is that simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000