Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What type of spellcaster do you like to play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  15:06:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer Arcane spellcasters myself or best of all a mix of arcane and warrior classes like a bladesinger.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:15:03  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I prefer Arcane spellcasters myself or best of all a mix of arcane and warrior classes like a bladesinger.

Ooh, I've always wanted to play a bladesinger (thought the concept was really cool)! Gah! Now I'm thinking I should have voted Arcane. Really, really want to play a bladesinger now! Does anyone know if there's a divine prestige class that's similar?

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 06 Sep 2013 18:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  21:36:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the PHB2 or Complete Divine had options for variant classes that would work like a bladesinger- and there might have even been a PrC that would fit- there's a dragon-themed bard-type, and one that is more divine, IIRC.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:38:57  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The PHB2 has the Duskblade which is a bladesinger-esque arcane class.

As to a divine prc that is similar...the first thing that comes to mind would be the sworddancer from FR supplement, Faiths & Pantheons. But having said that, I can't say it is really all that similiar but it is what came to mind first.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  02:57:30  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Alystra Illianniis:
Thanks for the advice! I don't actually own any of the books you named, but my DM does, and I can always borrow them from him for further research.

@ksu_bond:
*eyebrows arching* Isn't the sworddancer a specialty priestess of Eilistraee? Not that I have any problem with that, but it would make my characters' habit of chasing after hawt dark elves a little difficult. Hmm. On the other hand, it does present an opportunity for some interesting roleplaying options. Er, that didn't quite come out right. Ah well, so long as no one deliberately misinterprets my meaning than everything should be fine. (And even if they do, that's okay, especially if it gives them something to snicker about. )

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 10 Sep 2013 02:58:34
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  03:19:01  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol...that is correct...told you it wasn't really similar, but is what came to mind first...hmmm...perhaps this should say something about me...I'll worry about that later...

I'll do a bit more brainstorming...perhaps with the help of my books this evening...and see if I can't provide a few more suggestions that have less to do with my personal psyche and more with having similarities to a bladesinger...
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  03:26:08  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane almost always. Almost always specialize in divination for the extra spell levels, and drop enchantment because it is not my style. I don't need enchantments usually to get what I want and half of the people you run into are immune anyways. Just a moderately chaotic display of power here and there to make people realize not to mess with me and to obey me. Yes I usually play an evil or at least, neutral sociopath Wizard.

I have played 2 Wizard characters and never died for years. Mostly because I stay out of the way after I establish myself as a power and think of myself first and foremost. I worked my way up to mercenary guild head and then sent everyone else out on the missions.

Early levels I Always start my own band of mercs for hire after having been part of one. Always get the biggest share of the loot by auctioning off Transmutation and abjuration spells.
You want a buff? To Fly? Haste? Shield of any kind? Ward? That will be 1/5th of anything you get this mission + Spell component cost.

You want me to watch your back above all others this mission?
1/3rd of anything you get regardless of if I have to lift a finger or not. If I had to use an expensive spell component, you pay for it on top of that. And I was not above promising the same thing to multiple party members if another went to the bathroom :)

We also played within the rules, but were allowed to use the rules to the letter, and I knew my builds. Which meant I could one shot a big boss with a empowered maximized twinned repeated scorching ray.

The look on the DM's face the first time I did that was utter disbelief and WTF. We took a bounty from the NPC board(he had a bunch made up for us to choose from, and we picked one far above our level because of the amount of gold offered)

I made sure I played that into my character. "If you are looking at me like that in real life, imagine how the characters are looking at me in the game". I worked the angle that my character built up a fierce deadly reputation, but not an unreasonable one. The kind of guy you want to hire, not piss off. I made money just to have my services retained and ran several things on the side. Slaves, Gambling, opened my own tavern and used it for business deals. People thought I lived in the basement of the Tavern, but all I ever did was use it to dimensional door to my sanctum in a safe house.

Once I rounded up my investments I could literally buy anything I wanted. Several staffs, dozens of rings, unlimited spell components, etc

I legally built my character up to overpowered over a few years.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  11:55:12  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane spellcaster, absolutely no question. And I vastly prefer the "standard, boring old wizard" to anything else. The array of spells and potential for learning is second to none. Add to that the fact that in some cultures (drow, for example), arcane prowess is a path to greatness that doesn't rely on the whim of another, be it fickle deity (and let's be honest, most of them are just that) or an accident of birth (being a sorcerer is very nice, but not everyone is born with sorcerous mojo). That's not to imply that just anyone can be a wizard, far from it.

Not that I would disparage a sorcerer, or even a cleric. A campaign that I participated in saw a world (the DM's homebrew) where there was absolutely no arcane magic (as far as we all knew). No one else wanted to play a spellcaster, so the role of party cleric was left to me - and next to traitors, heretics, and witches (divine casters, slaves of demons), clerics of the Old Gods (which is what I was) were Public Enemy Numero Uno.

In my own 'Unblooded' Birthright campaign (no Realm actions, no nobility), wizards are actually a forbidden class. Sorcerers are permitted, save that the character must be an elf or half-elf (who need no blood to cast the full gamut of arcane spells). With the obvious exceptions of such things, I have played arcanists (mainly wizards) since I rolled my first 3D6 over three decades past.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  13:01:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wizards are always like pokemon masters. Constantly collecting new spells to add to their spellbooks. They're always generalists (often sun elves with the Generalist Wizardry ACF from Races of the Wild). I don't have a type for other spellcasting classes, though if I know I'm likely to need to be a heal bot, I take the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook and forego the Cleric or Favoured Soul route.

I do however LOVE experimenting with gestalt spellcasters. I once made a gestalt build that allowed my character to cast 9th level spells from 3 separate spell lists by 20th level.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  11:27:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you say MOST, so I'd have to say arcane. However, mystic theurge is my 2nd favorite option (my 1st being eldritch knight).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  14:30:18  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane of course.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  22:54:54  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to pick one it would be arcane.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

genebateman
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  21:13:56  Show Profile Send genebateman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was Sorcerer now it is Dragon Fire Adept
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  09:35:04  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rolk Flameraven

"Other" I love both Divine and Arcane magic and have played many a Wizard and Cleric but my one true love is the Psi.

Always interested in those.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  09:36:35  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KacyCrawford

Arcane of course.

GOOD choice haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000