Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 1st Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  04:32:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The following have expressed some interest (however small) so far:

Dezmodu, Wooly, Jorkens, AlorinDawn, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Mace Hammerhand, Kuje, Rollo Ruttikin and KnightErrantJR.

That is a total of nine people; so I'm going to limit interest to those nine first before considering anyone else. If I don't get enough players from those, then I'll try to recruit others.

Wow, that's a nice offer. However, I do want you to know that I have ZERO experience with 1st edition rules. I know about it only vaguely, and I have no 1E books either. If I play, I'll need help with that.

Also, I do live in the Eastern time zone.

Hey RF, did you see that link that I posted earlier in the thread for OSRIC? Those rules are a pretty good summary of the basics of 1st edition. As Wooly said, its a lot like 2nd edition, but a with a few fuzzier areas in the rules.

Aye, the OSRIC system is nearly dead on! You can use that material safely enough to play the game easily. I hope you decide to play, it would be great to have you!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  05:22:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone that is interested in the game should quickly join the Yahoo Group I've started...the link is found in my signature.

I'll be slowly adding material on that website that may not be posted here; so you guys will want to sign on to keep up with stuff I post there...some of the things will be:

1) A map of my own creation for Melvaunt. I'll keep as close to already published materials as possible, but I want to really put more detail into the city since it will be starting area. Also, I've always had problems with the way it sits on every map I've ever seen of it. The only problem is: I'm not the greatest artist, so I'll be drafting my wife to make it really look better (she is a great artist)...may be a little bit before it is done.

2) Something I call "Rumor Sheets" in my campaigns. Just general gossip that I drop into the game that party members may hear on the street that could spark interest and send the party off on adventure.

3) Misc. information from Short Stories (again about things going on in the world that a party member may hear about) to changes in pricing if Melvaunt should feel some sort of inflation or even lowering of prices do to the various times of the year and how trade changes what is and isn't available.

I'm pretty much going to keep this particular thread at Candlekeep only for general information and conversation until we actually get the game going...then we'll switch more over to the Game-site.

Talk to you all more later.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 15 Feb 2010 06:45:26
Go to Top of Page

Dezmodu
Acolyte

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  11:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Dezmodu's Homepage Send Dezmodu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey, since I've only got 3 and 3.5 edition XP, you can cros me of the list, I'll just slow you guys down I guese.
have fun.
DeZ

paladin: Ignorance is no excuse!
Rogue: Why?
Paladin: I don't know.
Rogue: IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:38:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dezmodu

hey, since I've only got 3 and 3.5 edition XP, you can cros me of the list, I'll just slow you guys down I guese.
have fun.
DeZ

You can use the OSRIC system for all intents and purposes...if you still would like to join in. If I don't hear back from you by this time Tuesday, I'll simply cross ya off.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:58:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

1E and 2E are similar enough that if you know one, you can wing the other. The classes and spell lists are a little different in 1E, and I don't think 1E had proficiencies, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Thanks for the info, Wooly. I DO know quite a bit about 2E, though I wouldn't call myself an "expert" (really, I'm not an "expert" when it comes to rules and mechanics, period).

DD, I got your email. I'll definitely look it over and do the necessary research later tonight.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  18:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey RF, did you see that link that I posted earlier in the thread for OSRIC? Those rules are a pretty good summary of the basics of 1st edition. As Wooly said, its a lot like 2nd edition, but a with a few fuzzier areas in the rules.

DD mailed that to me, thanks. I'll take a look at it later.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  18:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Aye, the OSRIC system is nearly dead on! You can use that material safely enough to play the game easily. I hope you decide to play, it would be great to have you!

Thank you.

I'd love to play, I just have to make a character.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  20:12:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you.

I'd love to play, I just have to make a character.

EXCELLENT! I'm glad to hear it.

Looking forward to seeing what you make for your character.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  21:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll get started on brainstorming.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  21:09:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My physical copy of the PHB came today also. Nice. :)

But any questions on my char Dalor?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  02:07:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

My physical copy of the PHB came today also. Nice. :)

But any questions on my char Dalor?

Aye, I was wanting to hammer out a few things with you to flesh out what would your character be doing in Melvaunt...such as: what sort of work? There is little to no vegetation in the city...the perpetual mists from Thar mingle with the smokes of the city to make an oily sludge that coats just about everything...I don't think there is a single tree in the city or blade of grass between the streets broken cobbles.

Would she be adverse to working at some menial type of labor...perhaps working in a Tavern...what would she be doing to sustain herself in the city? There are many horse merchants in the city...would she be willing to hire herself to a merchant such as this to help pick the finest horse flesh?

I know she is a follower of Chauntea primarily, but what would she be doing? Assisting a Horse Merchant, working with brewers to help make beer...what does she do in the city right now as the game begins?

Related to that...how long has she been in the city?

These sorts of things...if you like we can email privately so you can tell me what you want...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:58:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK...so I've finished up the basic outline of a couple of things now.

I still haven't heard from KEJ or Wooly if they are going to play for certain...although KEJ did say he was waiting to give others a chance, it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping up...so go ahead and make a character to play chief!

Look forward to seeing the end result of your imagination KEJ!

EDIT:
not sure why this didn't post, but I've been told an edit will make it appear...so EDIT!!!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 23 Apr 2008 21:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:04:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Related to getting character in...I was going to set a starting date for my first email to the group that will start the game.

I would like it to be Wednesday April 30th...the last day to iron everything out before I start the game.

So if anyone has any questions...lets get on a roll...I'm so excited that my heart monitor says my pulse is actually higher when thinking about this game! Right now it is at 94 and all I'm doing is sitting here typing!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Need to have the PHB first... should be here any day now... da one with the idol of course

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:37:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Need to have the PHB first... should be here any day now... da one with the idol of course

Excellent Mace! You know...you can use the OSRIC system for basic character building...just to give you an idea of things.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 24 Apr 2008 02:32:00
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  13:38:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dalor

Are 'lurkers' allowed? Haven't played a PBEM game before and would be interested to view and watch to see how they work before I say "yes please would love to play 1E again "

Have 'joined' the group as crazedventurers.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  16:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
April 30th? OK, that's plenty of time, I should have a character ready by then.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 24 Apr 2008 16:15:35
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:39:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Hi Dalor

Are 'lurkers' allowed? Haven't played a PBEM game before and would be interested to view and watch to see how they work before I say "yes please would love to play 1E again "

Have 'joined' the group as crazedventurers.

Cheers

Damian

Aye, you are welcome to watch...and should you later decide to join the game, I would be glad to have you.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:44:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

April 30th? OK, that's plenty of time, I should have a character ready by then.

Yeah, April 30th I thought would allow us all to make sure we have plenty of time to think alot about our characters...(my characters being the baddies and good guys too that I want to have involved).

BUT...I would like to have time to speak with each player about their character and have everything finished by the 30th so we can get started. So it may be a good idea to have the characters finished a day or two before the 30th so we have time to work out details.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  20:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, will do then.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  01:54:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need everyone who hasn't signed up to the group in my signature to please do so soon...starting Monday I'm going to be posting pre-game stuff on there, so I don't want anyone to miss out!

Later!

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  07:24:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to make it final, I will not be joying the game Dalor. What little spare energy I have will have to go into the PBM I am already in.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  11:24:53  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Just to make it final, I will not be joying the game Dalor. What little spare energy I have will have to go into the PBM I am already in.

Dalor Darden - it would be immoral not to try and profit from Jorkens's busy schedule - do you still have a slot left? I started playing under 1st Ed rules, and I would not mind getting down with level limits, no non-weapon proficiencies, and basic races again!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  14:57:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Dalor Darden - it would be immoral not to try and profit from Jorkens's busy schedule - do you still have a slot left? I started playing under 1st Ed rules, and I would not mind getting down with level limits, no non-weapon proficiencies, and basic races again!

Aye, feel free to join. Will have to move quickly since we start on the 30th. Consult the first page of this thread and you can see the character build section...and of course join the group listed in my signature (just be sure to tell me who you are in your join request!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  14:58:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to hear you won't be able to join us Jorkens...I hope you are well.

Feel free to join the group in my signature still though if you just want to read along and keep an eye on things in case you want to try later.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  12:23:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . I didn't recognize the format that that character generation summary was in when it got sent to me (I use Open Office, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference). Also, I tried to send you the character sheet and background at the e-mail address for the head honcho of the group, and it got bounced back.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  15:19:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hm . . . I didn't recognize the format that that character generation summary was in when it got sent to me (I use Open Office, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference). Also, I tried to send you the character sheet and background at the e-mail address for the head honcho of the group, and it got bounced back.

That format is the new format for Office uh 2008 I think it is. Which ever version is current for Office. Those of us who have Office 2003ish can download a program to convert the files but not sure if Open Office offers a program like that.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  15:36:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I compiled the character creation guidelines also in this thread...and have made changes along the way to reflect what needs to be done.

Also, the email is: dalor_darden@yahoo.com

It is working well and others have had their information arrive...not sure what may be going on for you KEJR.

try again and if that doesn't work, we can maybe find some other way for you to send your character to me...perhaps in a PM here on Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  15:37:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

That format is the new format for Office uh 2008 I think it is. Which ever version is current for Office. Those of us who have Office 2003ish can download a program to convert the files but not sure if Open Office offers a program like that.

Sorry...had to buy a new computer this year because my old one crashed on me...the power supply went out.

I'll see if I can post documents in a different format on the website.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  16:21:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry...had to buy a new computer this year because my old one crashed on me...the power supply went out.

I'll see if I can post documents in a different format on the website.

There should be a option when you do save as to save the file in the old format for the older versions of office.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000