Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Blackcloak dead? WHY, O WHY?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

barry
Acolyte

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  16:13:17  Show Profile  Visit barry's Homepage Send barry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
why did halaster have to die? and can he be resurected in a time of wild magic.
WOULD THE AUTHORS CONCIDER THIS PLEASE

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  16:50:14  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want him back in your game. Bring him back in your game.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barry

Who said he is dead DEAD? One thing that I have learned over the years of gaming is that there is dead and there is DEAD.

Look at the Seven Sisters.

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  20:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt WotC will consider this... why should they...the S(p)ellplague happens despite much anger...

As for myself, since I still play in 1366/67 I don't worry about that too much right now

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  20:31:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

quote:

Who said he is dead DEAD? One thing that I have learned over the years of gaming is that there is dead and there is DEAD.

What do the Seven Sisters have to do with anything? I can only think of one of them having been killed, and she remained undead until her final destruction.

Who said he was dead? The novel Blackstaff, in which he died. And considering that the next novel, Blackstaff Tower, is set post-Sellplague and deals with later Blackstaffs, it's pretty much safe to assume that Khelben is and remains dead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Apr 2008 20:34:58
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  20:39:58  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

quote:

What do the Seven Sisters have to do with anything? I can only think of one of them having been killed, and she remained undead until her final destruction.

Who said he was dead? The novel Blackstaff, in which he died. And considering that the next novel, Blackstaff Tower, is set post-Sellplague and deals with later Blackstaffs, it's pretty much safe to assume that Khelben is and remains dead.

What I was intoning (rather poorly as I sit here in DC with a terrible cold) was that killing off a person does not mean that is the end of them. Energise can be contained and held for long periods to be placed in bodies down the road (not so much like a similacron but similar :) ). I know not wat Steven has in store for the Blackstaff, I shall find out when I read the next novel.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  20:51:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"This just in, Halaster Blackcloak of UnderMountain is still dead . . . back to you Jane."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  21:06:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I had a brainfart earlier (perhaps due to my current pounding headache), and thought for a minute we were discussing Khelben, not Halaster. My bad.

Me, I think there's plenty of ways for Halaster to come back, either whole or in part. Whether or not he does is up in the air...

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  21:25:57  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I had a brainfart earlier (perhaps due to my current pounding headache), and thought for a minute we were discussing Khelben, not Halaster. My bad.

Me, I think there's plenty of ways for Halaster to come back, either whole or in part. Whether or not he does is up in the air...

nope....yup....it was The Blackstaff.....yup

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  21:28:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funny this, i heard his soul was shattered across the planes, so there is dead and then there is dead, wouldnt worry about blackcloack

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  22:16:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

funny this, i heard his soul was shattered across the planes, so there is dead and then there is dead, wouldnt worry about blackcloack

See, that to me gives enough possibility of his return: simply gather up the shards, and figure out how to put them back together.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  22:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

See, that to me gives enough possibility of his return: simply gather up the shards, and figure out how to put them back together.

Piecing Halaster's shattered mind and soul back together... I suddenly have the image of a three-dimensional puzzle designed by Dali on speed...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:00:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster has an existing history of conflict with the Twisted Rune. His death is a direct result of that ongoing feud. What hasn't been defined is the project that Halaster was working on that the Twisted Rune interfered with. But that doesn't mean that the cause of death wasn't tied into the ongoing history of the Realms.

Remember Ed's adage from many GenCons past to open as many [if not more] new doors as you close off.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:02:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Let's remember too, that Ed has specifically said, in more then one reply here at Candlekeep, that although Halaster was NOT a Chosen of Mystra, we do know he is [was] something, and that something may have indicated that she did have future plans for him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:17:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One idea I like is that some of Halaster's shards are collected by Manshoon, and the two wind up merging into some new entity. One of the officially remaining Manshoon clones was hanging out in Undermountain, when we last knew where he was.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:25:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A curious possibility. After all, Ed said that most of the Manshoon clones tend to follow the original Manshoon's example of having extensive fall-back plans and caches and plans set in motion. Perhaps the Manshoon clone with Halaster had planned contingencies in place throughout Undermountain, should Halaster ever die or be destroyed.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards of the coast do whatever they want..That is going to be our rule from now and then..

But let's see if they will get whatever they want from these actions...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  15:29:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, what I expect is that Halaster will remain dead, and that if D&D Extreme gets around to redoing Undermountain, it will be controlled by either a mysterious mage, some unseen presence, or maybe an alliance of the Heirs.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2008 15:30:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  16:37:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree. It does seem like 4e FR is particularly geared toward introducing new elements, and mostly at the expense of removing the more established "mainstays" of the previous editions of the Realms. Halaster's demise may be an example of this. And thus, a new and virtually unknown NPC may eventually be set up to take his place through the 4e FR material.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  01:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm inclined to agree. It does seem like 4e FR is particularly geared toward introducing new elements, and mostly at the expense of removing the more established "mainstays" of the previous editions of the Realms. Halaster's demise may be an example of this.

I think that's the case--Rich Baker had a few words about Halaster's demise in his thread on the WotC boards about this (quite a few months ago), where he basically stated, "we don't want to be slavishly beholden to what has come before" (ie. Halaster and other NPCs will not be seen as "sacred cows" that will be kept in the setting no matter what).

That being said, Halaster's fate was disappointing for me, as I still saw plenty of potential for him as a character in the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:02:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm inclined to agree. It does seem like 4e FR is particularly geared toward introducing new elements, and mostly at the expense of removing the more established "mainstays" of the previous editions of the Realms. Halaster's demise may be an example of this.

I think that's the case--Rich Baker had a few words about Halaster's demise in his thread on the WotC boards about this (quite a few months ago), where he basically stated, "we don't want to be slavishly beholden to what has come before" (ie. Halaster and other NPCs will not be seen as "sacred cows" that will be kept in the setting no matter what).

That being said, Halaster's fate was disappointing for me, as I still saw plenty of potential for him as a character in the Realms.

Not "slavishly beholden to what has gone before"? Hah. I bet you 1000 gold Menzoberranzan and house Baenre will still be around in 6th edition...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably, but the point was not that the designers are "ditching" NPCs just because they are well-established.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Probably, but the point was not that the designers are "ditching" NPCs just because they are well-established.

Not?

I mean, look at all the backstory that can now be dismissed. Well established means people, like the editors, have to research stuff to do their job... it's easier to ditch everything "work-intensive" and start from scratch. And judging by some errors, the editors were off playing golf or something...

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  17:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

"This just in, Halaster Blackcloak of UnderMountain is still dead . . . back to you Jane."

Thanks for this. I had the same thing in mind, exactly.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

phal
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  07:19:02  Show Profile  Visit phal's Homepage Send phal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Thanks for this. I had the same thing in mind, exactly.

Steven

I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if a dozen voices were crying out, and were suddenly silenced.

Fine. They can kill the characters and community I've grown to know and love however they'd like. I can make my own sandbox.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  10:10:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never had much use for blackcloak myself, but gathering up his soul shards would make for a good adventure.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  15:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know.....what's worse?

Undermountain under the semi-coherent control of dozens of simulacra of a mad millennia-old wizard?

OR

Undermountain under NO controls AND haunted by the multiple ghosts/simulacra-ghosts of a mad millennia-old wizard?

Hm.... I just don't know.....

Steven
who probably wouldn't have slain Halaster himself, but there's story and adventure potential there nonetheless

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 10 Apr 2008 15:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  17:01:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thought I had was that the soul shards could merge with the layers of wards and spells... Making Undermountain itself be intelligent, instead of having a separate intelligence controlling it.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  17:38:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One thought I had was that the soul shards could merge with the layers of wards and spells... Making Undermountain itself be intelligent, instead of having a separate intelligence controlling it.

undermountain under the control of ancient spirits of dwarves singing of heroes and beer.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  18:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

undermountain under the control of ancient spirits of dwarves singing of heroes and beer.

Really? Beer is in control of Undermountain? cool!

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Halaster Blackcloak
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  08:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Halaster Blackcloak's Homepage Send Halaster Blackcloak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings! Long time member, but generally too busy to post. Anyway, as is probably obvious by my screen name, I was appalled to hear that Halaster was killed, especially by something as mundane as an earthquake.

I haven't been too happy with what they've done (officially)with Undermountain ever since the second box set, which really disappointed me. Then Skullport (the 2E sourcebook) turned Shradin into a crimson mist, then in 3E (which I hate) they turned Arcturia into a "Chondathan undead human worm that walks". Ok, I get the Chondathan part, but what in Orcus's name is an "undead human worm that walks"? Then they killed Halaster in an earthquake.

[Insert angry rumblings...]

Halaster Blackcloak
Creator of Undermountain
Faithful Old-School Grognard

Visit the new Back In Print Project Website:

http://www.undermountain.org/bip.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly