Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Freaky Genasi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kjetta
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  23:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Kjetta's Homepage Send Kjetta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yo.

I am by no means versed in Realmslore, but I am very interested, kind of a new hobby of mine this.

Anyhow, I found this great webpage (The Roaming Genasi Tavern) which details, among other things, the Negatai - a planetouched of the Plane of Negative Energy. So, what I am curious about, is whether this info is so called "canon lore"? Do Negatai exist in the Forgotten Realms?

I want to use one as a NPC, you see. And I want it to be "proper".

PS: Also, what the hells is positive damage? If you die from pure postive (healing/life energy), what does your corpse look like?

Edited by - Kjetta on 03 Apr 2008 23:01:22

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  00:53:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There aren't any negatai in the Realmslore. And, as I recall, those particular negatai were a race worked-up specifically for the "Roaming Genasi" website.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kjetta
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  03:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Kjetta's Homepage Send Kjetta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! That's too bad, as that site is so awesome. Anyways, thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate the help. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  03:28:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for your positive energy question, if you received to much positive energy your body would explode. At least that was how it was in Planescape if you stayed on the positive energy plane.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  03:35:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside, because I'm not sure if the Sage is up on 4e changes -

The Negative Energy Plane is being 'folded' into the Plane of Shadows in 4e lore, thus creating the new 'Shadowfell'. The Shadowfell in 4e Core is described thusly -

"The Shadowfell is the land of the dead, where the spirits of the deceased linger for a time in a dark reflection of their previous lives before silently fading beyond all ken."

I don't know how they plan on working that into FR, and a response from Rich Baker a few months back indicated that they (the designers) were still at a loss as to what to do with the Fugue plane (which is where FR's dead go (first).

I also have a sneaking suspician that Ravenloft will somehow be worked into the Shadowfell, because they have placed RL's Shadowfey - the Shadar-Kai - in the new plane. That, however, is pure conjecture on my part.

So, why did I bother going on like that? Because there is no Negative Energy Plane in 4e, and therefore the 'Negatai' can not exist (as is) in the future edition of D&D. Since Shades are already the 'genasi-like' creature from the Shadowfel, that should be your option to play (in the future).

If your group has no plans on using the new rules, then by all means play whatever you like from 3e, as long as your DM allows races from 3rd party sources.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Apr 2008 07:06:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  03:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Markus. I have indeed fallen behind on my keeping up with 4e Core D&D developments.

You've presented some interesting speculation about the Shadowfey. However, I fear that should such a RL-specific element be absorbed into Core D&D, it's likely that it will eventually lose that innate aspect that makes the Shadowfey such a unique part of the Demiplane of Dread.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  15:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of Negatai in Realmslore. Doesn't mean you can't use them in your own game, though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  21:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Negatai" sounds like something from... Sailor Moon (as in a Japanese magical-girl animation). No, really. Right out of "Negaverse."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  21:18:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

"Negatai" sounds like something from... Sailor Moon (as in a Japanese magical-girl animation). No, really. Right out of "Negaverse."

You know, I did read the first chapter of a fanfic that had Sailor Moon and the other Sailor Scouts getting scattered across the Realms... Each of them wound up with a different one of the Seven Sisters, as I recall.

The writing wasn't bad, as I recall. I don't know if the author ever finished it, though, since I generally avoid fanfiction and I never checked back on it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  22:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The concept of Sailor Moon anything in the Realms makes me pop my monocle. But, you know, I'm curious now. Care to tell me, here or in PM, where you found that fanfic? If you still remember, that is.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  00:48:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't they all eventually travel to Kara-Tur, where a Spikey haired gentleman and a kid with a red ball and a giant electric mouse helped them get back?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  00:52:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The concept of Sailor Moon anything in the Realms makes me pop my monocle. But, you know, I'm curious now. Care to tell me, here or in PM, where you found that fanfic? If you still remember, that is.

I'll be dipped if I remember where it was. It was a few years ago that I found it... And I might have kept the bookmark, but when I last changed computers, I didn't move the bookmarks over, because I had gotten out of the habit of using them (using my own page of links, instead). And the computer that had the bookmarks was another victim of the fire that melted all my other stuff. So that particular assembly of electrons is long gone.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  01:41:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried to find it - there are thousands of Fan-fictions that crossover into the Realms - I thought I found it, but does 'Ranma' have anything to do with Sailor Moon? (I don't follow anime at all)

The Dr. Who crossover looked intersting, but the "Harry Potter in the Realms" made me run as far as I could from that site....

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Apr 2008 01:41:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  02:01:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Dr. Who crossover looked intersting...
Which incarnation of the Doctor was it? And, do you have a link?

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  02:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tried to find it - there are thousands of Fan-fictions that crossover into the Realms - I thought I found it, but does 'Ranma' have anything to do with Sailor Moon? (I don't follow anime at all)

The Dr. Who crossover looked intersting, but the "Harry Potter in the Realms" made me run as far as I could from that site....

Ranma is... something else. Two other popular crossover choices seem to be LOTR and SW. I still haven't seen any done well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  04:03:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ranma is... something else. Two other popular crossover choices seem to be LOTR and SW. I still haven't seen any done well.

Indeed. Ranma ½ is billed as a "martial arts sex comedy". The main character, Ranma Saotome, is cursed: he turns into a cute girl when splashed with cold water. Just about everyone around him (some of the other characters have similar but not identical curses) is either a girl in love with him, or a male rival who wants one of those girls.

It was the first anime I saw after I found out what anime was. I've not watched in years, though. But the themesong from the first season is my (obnoxious!) default ringtone.

Other ringtones come from a variety of sources, including the Muppets and the Fruity Oaty Bars commercial from Serenity!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Apr 2008 04:05:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  05:41:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which incarnation of the Doctor was it? And, do you have a link?

I must have looked at over two dozen pages before giving up, and I didn't save any of the lnks. I remembered most of the words I used in my searches, though. I believe this was the one I saw, but now that I look again, I think it is a Dr. Who/Sailor Moon Crossover (not sure, there are several listed there)

The Site

You have to scroll down a bit, there's quite a few fanfictions listed there. I'll keep checking though - I could have sworn I saw a Sailor Moon/FR one, and I don't see the HP/FR one there either, so that is probably not the one I'm thinking of.

You know, just yeaterday while researching something else, I came across a reference to a very strange crossover written in a magazine - Doctor Who and Conan! Since you are obviously a 'Who' fan, Sage, here is a link to 'that thing I read'.

Famous characters connected to Doctor Who

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000