Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Obsidian Ridge: Prologue & Chapters 1 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  22:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Obsidian Ridge (Book 2 of The Citadels), by Jess Lebow. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 9 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  22:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, friends.

I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with the forums here, and for that I apologize.

But I'm back, and I'm looking forward to answering your questions and hearing what you have to say about Obsidian Ridge.

Hope you're enjoying the book.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  16:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

Well met, friends.

I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with the forums here, and for that I apologize.

But I'm back, and I'm looking forward to answering your questions and hearing what you have to say about Obsidian Ridge.

Hope you're enjoying the book.

-Jess

Mr. LeBow,

Why do you keep doing bad things to my friends in Erlkazar? I think that's wrong and you're a meanie.

Steven's inner child

Seriously, I'm just jealous you get to play with that sandbox I left behind. No, really. Now I get to read fun books that surprise me by how you perceive that area as opposed to my in-game memories of the lands. Good stuff.

Steven
who'd be happy to trade Jess a signed copy of Blackstaff Tower (in Sept) for a copy of Obsidian Ridge

PS: You coming to Gen Con this year, man? If so, we'll trade then; otherwise, I suppose I ought to take this onto private messages....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  22:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Steven. It is true that the good people of Erlkazar have put up with more than their fair share of terrible luck. But you know what they say: Bad things do happen to good people ;)

Seriously, you gave me a lot of great stuff to work with. If it hadn't been for your previous work, my last two books would have been much less interesting. So thanks :)

I'm probably not going to GenCon this year. I just changed jobs and moved to southern California. I'm now at Carbine Studios, a subsidiary of NCSoft, working on an unannounced MMO. So my traveling will be curtailed until things get off the ground a bit more I figure.

That having been said, I would love to trade you copies. I'll email you.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  05:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you back in the halls Jess, I always enjoy your work. I'm not quite finished with Obsidian Ridge yet, but I've really enjoyed what I've read. King Korox and Princess Mariko were both excellent characters right out of the gate. I was initially a little hesitant about liking The Claw, probably just because he called himself The Claw, maybe because he seemed to be the Batman of Erlkazar. I guess I was just afraid he would end up being a two-dimensional badass and nothing more. Evelyne's reaction to his name, and his repartee with her combined with the subsequent revelation about his identity left me enjoying his character as much as, if not more than, the others in the book.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  22:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you :)

My original editor (I was passed around a little since they were bringing in new blood to fill out the book department) mentioned that she thought the Claw felt a little like Batman. I guess he sort of does, but I never really thought about him that way. As I mentioned in another post, his real inspiration was a 3E character I played with a pair of keen bladed gauntlets and a super high tumble skill.

With Korox, I had used him a little in Master of Chains. But the events in that book are about 5 years later than those in Obsidian Ridge. So I really wanted to show his growth and progression as he became the person we saw in the previous book. The history of Erlkazar is quite short in comparison to other parts of the realms. Things evolved very quickly, and I wanted to show what would happen to a leader who lived through those events.

For Mariko, I really wanted to avoid the stereotypical princess in distress character. And since I knew she was going to eventually get in trouble, I wanted to balance that by making her super capable.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  03:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

For Mariko, I really wanted to avoid the stereotypical princess in distress character. And since I knew she was going to eventually get in trouble, I wanted to balance that by making her super capable.

WARNING SPOILERS!!!

Now that I've finished it, a great ending I might add, I have to say I loved the fact that Korox sent Mariko into the Obsidian Ridge with confidence that she and Quinn could take it down. The arrival of Lord Purdun was well-timed, and the role the statue played in Xeries' demise was very satisfying.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 21 Apr 2008 03:36:37
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  23:02:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might want a spoiler warning on the prior post, I think some of those details are revealed after chapter 9.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Might want a spoiler warning on the prior post, I think some of those details are revealed after chapter 9.

Thanks Walker, I didn't realize I was in the wrong section.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  19:03:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Thanks Walker, I didn't realize I was in the wrong section.

No problem ,Xysma! I had to do a double take though, because if this were a Richard Lee Byers novel chap 9 might be the end!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000