Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Epic Level Spells(3E)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I've heard it mentioned by several scribes here at Candlekeep that Epic level spells are useless. So I put it to the whole community.

Are Epic level Spells useless?

Choices:

Yes
No
Depends on the spell

(Anonymous Vote)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:15:22  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I don't play 3ed. I probably should not answer this, but from what I have seen the spells (lacking better words) seem insane. On the other side, the answer to any question like this would wholly depend on the campaign.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:15:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion :NO.
I mean that it must be spells which are available to characters with epic characteristics..

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:46:44  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they are useless, but they really should have a point in a campaign. Their costs are absurd, as are the results.

I think if, say, a villian were trying to do one of these and the PCs are trying to stop it - or if the PCs were helping some allies do something to save a great culture, yeah, go for it. But I think it's a bit dangerous in the hands of PCs.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  20:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who said epic level spells were useless? I didn't get the impression that was a commonly accepted belief, here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  20:45:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I certainly don't think they are useless, but they are a bit odd to try to use as they stand now. You can do it, but you can easily have a spell that is impossible to cast along with a spell that has some really unforseen and overly powerful repercussions. The epic magic system didn't get used much, so I don't think it got the fine tuning that it could have otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  13:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the spell of course.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any spell that's truly useless? I think it's a matter of what spells are versatile and what spells are useful only under a narrow set of circumstances rather than a matter of what spells are "useless".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for no. Any spell have his use. The DM, or the player, have only to know the when / how / where and why.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  20:42:00  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i must say since the day 3.0 came out my party has never even been interested in an epic spell, however a good dm/pc communication could achieve almost anything.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  00:03:34  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say as well, it probably depends on the spell and how it is being used.
It also depends on if the characters are high enough to use Epic-Level Spells or not.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  13:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

I have to say as well, it probably depends on the spell and how it is being used.
It also depends on if the characters are high enough to use Epic-Level Spells or not.

the assumption for a character that can cast epic level spells is that he/she is epic level.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  14:29:05  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the spell...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  23:59:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epic spells are great. Some complain about their cost: I say, as a DM, that the high cost is a GREAT IDEA! That way, I don't have a player bugging me at every game session about a new Epic spell... instead, they take their time, think it through and through, and when they're really sure about it, they come to me so I can review it and approve it. An epic spell is a labor of love, and this should be represented out of game somewhat by all the hard work the player goes through to develop it. The high costs also prevent "low twenties" PCs to get their hands on these, and shunts the whole Epic spell idea more towards levels 30-50, which is great IMHO.

And for those who constantly remind us all that most Epic spells can be replicated or exceeded, damage-wise, by metamagicked spells memorized in 10th, 11th or 12th-level slots via Improved Spell Capacity, I say poo!! Not everyone wants to waste feats on additional spell slots (i.e. a lot of high level casters in my campaign are instead going for things like Epic Leadership, Automatic Quicken series feat, Great Intelligence or Great Wisdom, feats that give you Spell-like abilities, feats that boost your familiar, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Koncopd
Acolyte

Russia
0 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  11:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Koncopd's Homepage Send Koncopd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in some situations there can be need in these powerful high-costed spells.

Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000