Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elf Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperNashwan
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  14:44:07  Show Profile  Visit SuperNashwan's Homepage Send SuperNashwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

please guys i need an Program or something like that do generate sunelf/moonelf etc. names. Found a site with a random drownames dice based system. You know something liek that for the non-drowelves on faerun?

greets

The GOOD is not good enought!

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  14:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Everchanging Book of Names, although last I checked you need to pay to use the full version.

Also, I've found that a lot of generic (non-FR specific) elven name generators can be helpful, and can serve as inspiration even if you don't care for the actual names that get churned out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SuperNashwan
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  14:53:39  Show Profile  Visit SuperNashwan's Homepage Send SuperNashwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought there was a free Generator out there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  15:16:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try Kuje's NPC lists for some quick elven names.

BTW... Judging from your username, would I be correct in assuming you're a Speedball 2 fan?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  15:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperNashwan

Thought there was a free Generator out there.

Well, there are tons of free generators out there. It's just that the only one I know of that is FR specific is not free (although you can use a "shortened" version of it for free).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  00:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The source names in the EBoN chapters are accurate but far from up-to-date, but still give good output, though the elven chapters would benefit much more from updating than the human ones because they have smaller pools.

Trust me here!
Go to Top of Page

SuperNashwan
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  08:11:56  Show Profile  Visit SuperNashwan's Homepage Send SuperNashwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Indeed im a Bitmap Brothers Fan.

@Faraer
Thanks, ists nice

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  21:41:07  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just mix some random letters (enough so you have too many syllables). Throw in an apostrophe or two and you're done

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  09:58:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well we could try and get someone to write a new name generator that is for DnD in general or just the FR.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  17:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope I'm not out of topic but
there is a name generator within Wizards website :
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010208b

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

t_catt11
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  17:53:04  Show Profile  Visit t_catt11's Homepage Send t_catt11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this topic has gathered some dust, but if anyone still needs a good elven name generator, check out this one.

http://www.rdinn.com/generators/2/elven_name_generator.php

It creates both male and femals given names, as well as surnames. All told, there are a few billion combinations possible... you ought to be able to find one or two that you like.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  21:10:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The list of Elven names in Elves of Faerūn is a compilation of canon Faerūnian Elven names.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  21:15:52  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a decent name generator table in Races of the Wild.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  22:29:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

There's also a decent name generator table in Races of the Wild.

-Note, none of that is Forgotten Realms canon. For those who are keeping track.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  02:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likewise, there's a static list on this very site, SuperNashwan:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/elven_names.htm

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  05:45:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That is what I am referencing.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000