Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Star Elf from Stardeep and Darkvision
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  22:33:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know that star elf from Stardeep and Darkvision stats??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  23:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Kiril has ever been officially statted out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:15:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There haven't been any official stats released. You may want to ask Bruce directly in his scroll, about what stats he might possibly assign to Kiril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  07:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There haven't been any official stats released. You may want to ask Bruce directly in his scroll, about what stats he might possibly assign to Kiril.

Well met

Aye, the Sage guides ye well. For questions specific to particular novels, it's always a good option to ask the author in his or her thread. Some are not frequent visitors to Candlekeep but subscribe to their thread, and are therefroe notified when a new post arrives

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  15:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in the Star Elf race however, you can find that in the 3.5 Unapproachable East supplement. I do not know how closely Bruce paid attention to that though seeing as I have not had a chance to get my hands on those two books yet.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  16:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

If you are interested in the Star Elf race however, you can find that in the 3.5 Unapproachable East supplement. I do not know how closely Bruce paid attention to that though seeing as I have not had a chance to get my hands on those two books yet.

Probably close enough attention, as Cordell had a hand in writing that supplement.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Twilight Tomb module is also somewhat useful in this regard.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  22:44:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

coincidentally i own that book already.

it was her stats i was looking for.

well and a few other npc stats, namely Fflar's.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  20:55:36  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just read the 3 books involving Kiril Duskmourn. Before that I read The Last Mythal trilogy. I never felt that the star elves in both books were the same sub-race. Am I missing something? The star elves in Stardeep seemed much different that the star elves you meet with Araevin Teshurr and Liriel Baenre, in their respective novels. I have the Races of Faerun PDF and the UE PDF and even those descriptions shine the light on star elves differently than Stardeep.

Does anyone have anything to open my eyes on the subject?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  21:04:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Oh man, talk about throwback.

-Keep in mind that Star Elves lived kind of isolated lives on the Sildeyuir, so that might explain differences. Also, Kyril and the Elves highlighted in Stardeep aren't/weren't exactly the norm.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  21:15:48  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Oh man, talk about throwback.

-Keep in mind that Star Elves lived kind of isolated lives on the Sildeyuir, so that might explain differences. Also, Kyril and the Elves highlighted in Stardeep aren't/weren't exactly the norm.

Yes. They seemed foreign to me. Not that all races besides human don't, lol. Just saying, moon elves and sun elves and all the other sub-races of elves seem pretty consistent in novels and canon lore, except for Stardeep. I almost felt they were more Xenophobic than wild elves. For only having Sildėyuir for roughly 2,000 years, I would imagine elves wouldn't change that much. Though the Shadovar did so in much less time. But apples and oranges I guess.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  03:13:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stardeep was such a sad book.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  10:05:19  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

but why. why was it sad.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  15:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Libertine

Just saying, moon elves and sun elves and all the other sub-races of elves seem pretty consistent in novels and canon lore, except for Stardeep. I almost felt they were more Xenophobic than wild elves. For only having Sildėyuir for roughly 2,000 years, I would imagine elves wouldn't change that much. Though the Shadovar did so in much less time. But apples and oranges I guess.

Elves are full adults at around 110-120 years of age. While exceptions exist, most elves that have children seem to have them around their second or third century. The occasional older parent is probably not enough to skew the average much, especially as elves do age and by middle-age, females of any species are rarely able to conceive. An elven generation can thus be estimated at around 200 years on average, or conveniently about ten times longer as a human generation.

Consider how extreme the cultural changes between 1920 and 2020 have been on Earth. That's about five generations. Then consider how very foreign people in 1820 would be to our modern sensibilities... and vice versa. That's ten generations and about equivalent to the 2,000 years of the star elves.

And that's not even living on a different pkane of existence, exposed to Lovecraftian horrors. We live on the same Earth as our ancestors, but in many ways, we'd consider them monsters... and vice versa.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  18:34:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It's been year since I read it, but I vaguely remember the story how Kiril obtained her sword and some of the things that she was forced to do while under its "spell" as being sad. Some innocent deaths of children, I believe. Plus betrayals of friends, deaths of loved ones...she isn't a drunk for no reason.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 08 Aug 2020 18:35:37
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  20:18:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Libertine

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

but why. why was it sad.

Kiril is a tragic character, not to mention what happened to Nangulis. Plus the betrayal, and just the whole situation. I'm not saying it wasn't good--it was--but sad.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000