Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun's Greatest Spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eol
Acolyte

South Africa
7 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  09:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Eol's Homepage Send Eol a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which of the following spells do you think is the greatest successful spell ever cast? (Karsus’s avatar is not in the list because it was an spectacular failure )

Choices:

Waymeet (A inter planar mythal that can create portals between any two planes)
Dragon Rage Mythal (A global mythal that brought an end to Dragon dominance over Faerun)
Imaskar wards (Stopped all divine magic and banned gods, from Imaskar)
Sundering (Creates Evermeet and divides continents)
Dark Disaster (Killing storm that destroyed Miyeritar)
Mythallar (Netheril’s flying enclaves)
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  09:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stop voting now! I just got the 100 correct %!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  10:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm biased towards anything Netherese.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 01 Apr 2008 10:33:54
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  12:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Imaskar! Change the continent, or affect a race is one thing... now, block the gods! These old imaskars have some cards in the sleeve, really. ^^

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Eol
Acolyte

South Africa
7 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  13:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Eol's Homepage Send Eol a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which god ever changed the continent of Faerun? Gods have a relatively small amount of power in Faerun in any event.

The Waymeet brakes down planar borders in other words it can change the geography of the mutiverse. Only Ao or perhaps a pantheon of gods could do that. Think about the possibilities, the abyss or hell having a direct link to elysium or the moongates (not that I would do that). Stopping gods to have access to a relatively small realm is a cute mythal type spell; playing Ao is much more fun!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  15:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

My vote goes to the Imaskar! Change the continent, or affect a race is one thing... now, block the gods! These old imaskars have some cards in the sleeve, really. ^^

You know, I have to agree with you there.

although if you count Ao banishing all the dieties(except Helm) a spell, then my vote goes for that.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  15:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for "greatest" in the sense of "best," I vote for the gate spell that brought Elminster into a young Ed Greenwood's living room one rainy Sunday morning back all those decades ago, thus opening up a whole world to our exploration.

But I wax nostalgic!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  16:15:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Well said, Erik!
Eol, you missed all the really big spells (the terraforming and "racial creation from scratch" ones). Not to mention the planetary steering spell.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  16:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hmmm. Well said, Erik!

Indeed. I'll vote "other", for that one.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  22:40:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Rage Mythal

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  22:54:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus's Avatar was not a failure -- the spell worked. He just didn't realize that he couldn't handle the spell being successful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  23:00:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hmmm Not to mention the planetary steering spell.
love,
THO

Quack?! How much power would you need to do THAT? In the Erevis Cale trilogy the Sojourner (who was a ridiculously powerful mage) had to gather a huge amount of arcane energy just to move one of Selune's tears...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  10:02:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the spell or spells used to create undermountain.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  10:48:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An impossible question to answer. The consequences of some minor spell at the right time might have changed Faerun for ever. A first level spell might be the winner. As this is not known though I would say that Erik's suggestion is a very good candidate.

In other words: Other.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  11:14:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Undermountain wasn't created by spells. It was carved out by dwarves and drow, and added to by Halaster.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:18:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Undermountain wasn't created by spells. It was carved out by dwarves and drow, and added to by Halaster.

nu-uh.... undermountain isnt just the carved rock, but the spells that hole it together and prevent waterdeep from falling in on top of it,and the creature summoning spells there within

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  18:56:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

nu-uh.... undermountain isnt just the carved rock, but the spells that hole it together and prevent waterdeep from falling in on top of it,and the creature summoning spells there within

A mythal is what keeps it from caving in -- and it's not just on Undermountain, its on the entire Waterdhavian plateau. And while mythals are impressive, "standard" mythals aren't on the above list. The other spells in Undermountain were cast by a single mortal, and are not all that impressive when considered singly -- what makes them impressive is the sheer multitude of spells Halaster has layered on his Halls.

And either way, Undermountain was not created by spells. Some of the conditions present in Undermountain were created by spells, but the complex itself was fashioned in sections by many hands, and by both tool and spell.

Go to Top of Page

Tethir the dragonslayer
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  22:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Tethir the dragonslayer's Homepage Send Tethir the dragonslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I am way biased... My character is a "spelleater". He has spellfire... and mythallar tastes yummy!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  23:22:09  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Karsus's Avatar was not a failure -- the spell worked. He just didn't realize that he couldn't handle the spell being successful.

Yep, and I have to say that stealing the Goddess of Magic's power by using magic is a feat that I find really impressive.

However, I do agree with Erik's opinion on what the best spell was.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  10:40:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has to be Sash of Spells for me (am ignoring all the blow-up-the-world spells)

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:51:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Karsus' Avatar a spectacular failure...? Wow...Just wow...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:30:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote is the Sundering...

While blocking gods is good...not even gods can raise a continent that I've ever seen in a book...

Not that I've seen every book.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  22:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a spell that puts bubbles into beer?

That would be the greatest accomplishment.

(What do ye expect, I'm a dwarf! Of course, I'm biased!)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  02:33:43  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sundering...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  08:13:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I am rather tall, but I would settle for a spell that makes most easily available beers actually taste like beer again, instead of slightly yellowed water.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  16:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Some people just don't know the truth.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 24 Apr 2008 16:09:28
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I am rather tall, but I would settle for a spell that makes most easily available beers actually taste like beer again, instead of slightly yellowed water.

I have the spell for ya!

"Ticket to Germany"
(conjuration... I think *hicks*)
Range: Personal
Duration: Depends on where you come from: EU permanent, rest...I dunno
Target: self...mostly
Components: V, S, M

You conjure up a ticket to a steel-dragon that will transport you to the land of beer and...well, beer (and some soccer, maybe, for those who care). Once you leave the dragon you can indeed behave like a German on vacation in, say, Mallorca, only that you are no German and actually in Germany.
Avoid discussions about soccer, unless you also want to enjoy brawls like German hooligans (sure, it ain't Holland, and it definitely ain't England, but the native hooligans can dish out pretty well...as well!).
Material component: Local Currency (to get there!), and local currency (to get pissed in Germany!)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  08:10:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I have the spell for ya!

"Ticket to Germany"
(conjuration... I think *hicks*)
Range: Personal
Duration: Depends on where you come from: EU permanent, rest...I dunno
Target: self...mostly
Components: V, S, M

You conjure up a ticket to a steel-dragon that will transport you to the land of beer and...well, beer (and some soccer, maybe, for those who care). Once you leave the dragon you can indeed behave like a German on vacation in, say, Mallorca, only that you are no German and actually in Germany.
Avoid discussions about soccer, unless you also want to enjoy brawls like German hooligans (sure, it ain't Holland, and it definitely ain't England, but the native hooligans can dish out pretty well...as well!).
Material component: Local Currency (to get there!), and local currency (to get pissed in Germany!)

I know that spell. Along with Czech's Everlasting Brew it is a spell of honour and renown. With bloody expensive material components. The football part might also be a problem. I was thinking more of the local cantrip. Or the massive lost "Keep your corporation hands of our brewery"-spell. Along with vinyl and TSR these are the three components for the great past.

I should cut down on the coffee (or Gentle Giant records). And yes dear moderators, I will try to keep on topic
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sundering. Elves have some destructive teamwork. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  16:12:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Some people just don't know the truth.

-Well, we do, so...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  18:08:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say it was the 15th level spell Ao first cast - Create Crystal Sphere.

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Quite right - the SPELL wasn't a spectacular failure, the MAGE was.

quote:

And in 4e, we'll probably find out it was originally an Aboleth Kingdom, in the time BEFORE the Age of Thunder.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2008 18:10:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000