Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Ecology of the Brown Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  22:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes,

Has anything been written up concerning the ecology of the brown dragon? I've been comparing it to a blue for terms of relative body size, egg tending, lair design, and so forth, and red for size at various age categories, but if anyone has anything better, I'd love to hear it.

Likewise, as a semi-related side note: Is there any semi-easy (presumably magical) way to change the alignment of a dragon before it hatches? Preferably without complicated circumstances (Garnet) or a 9th-level Exalted spell (sanctify the wicked)?
Addendum: Would atonement work in such a situation?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 29 Mar 2008 23:14:51

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  22:38:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Draconomicon covers some of what you are asking about.

Edited by - scererar on 30 Mar 2008 03:41:11
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  13:28:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brown dragon? What are they going to come up with next? Pink dragon maybe? They're fast running out of colours. :P

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  14:39:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Brown dragon? What are they going to come up with next? Pink dragon maybe? They're fast running out of colours. :P

You won't be laughing when your character is killed by the deadly plaid dragon!

Of course, we don't have to worry about chartruese, cream, eggshell, mauve, toap, or fuchsia dragons. With most gamers being male, none of us know what those colors are!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  21:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Yup, bits and pieces, though.

And Wooly, I'd fear the mauve dragon above all the others.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  00:03:02  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Yup, bits and pieces, though.

And Wooly, I'd fear the mauve dragon above all the others.

Monsters of Faerun also has some info specifically pertaining to the Brown Dragon. P.38 to be exact. However, it does not have much more than general information.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  00:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You won't be laughing when your character is killed by the deadly plaid dragon!

Of course, we don't have to worry about chartruese, cream, eggshell, mauve, toap, or fuchsia dragons. With most gamers being male, none of us know what those colors are!

You forgot cerulean. And vermillion. And rose. And...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  01:52:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I once teased Ed about creating an ashes-of-roses dragon . . . only to discover that he'd created a cinammon dragon. I believe it slipped into published Realmslore, in the Current Clack (another Ed invention) at the end of an old "Elminster's Everwinking Eye" POLYHEDRON column . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  01:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, in Polyhedron #54 and reprinted, with added DM's note, in FA1 Halls of the High King.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:18:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, thanks very much, Faraer. I KNEW I remembered seeing it in print. And you're right on, and quick, too. I know Ed remembers talking with you at the Orc's Nest (Ork's Nest?) and thinks very highly of you. So please accept this blown e-kiss.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  03:06:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a purple dragon (no, not in Cormyr) - she lives in the Raurin and I'm pretty sure she's unique.

I fear the terrible Salmon Dragon, or the dreaded poka-dotted Wyrrm!

I'm like 99.9% sure they will come out with a Cerulean Dragon for 4e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Mar 2008 03:08:14
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  13:02:31  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, there is indeed a pink dragon. They're almost pathetic, but they top out at CR 20...

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  22:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO, make Ed come here again. Must I stage an international incident to draw you?
Go to Top of Page

Tethir the dragonslayer
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  16:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Tethir the dragonslayer's Homepage Send Tethir the dragonslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG! I am putting a pink dragon in my game!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2021 :  02:35:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necroposting this for info- does anyon3 have a link to the write-up on that Cinnamon dragon? Reason I'm asking that I have a cat NAMED Cinnamon, and now I'm envisioning her as a dragon, lol!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2021 :  03:34:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra! So good to see you again!

Looking at the reference in Halls of the High King, it's not a proper monster write-up. It's part of a Current Clack entry, on page 63 of the book.

quote:
The hitherto unknown type of dragon was a large and terrible wyrm of cinnamon brown hue, with a long, prehensile tail, that breathed forked lightning. Its spells are known to include reverse gravity and some sort of monster summoning magic — it spat living creatures around the harbor. Those that survived their landings attacked bystanders without hesitation, rapidly thinning a huge crowd of watching citizens.

And there's a DM's note that says that whatever the dragon was, it's up to the DM. A new type of dragon, a magical disguise, or an assumed shape are offered as possibilities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jun 2021 03:34:21
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2021 :  12:38:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could just have been an insane and spell-changed copper dragon. The hues are not dissimilar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  01:59:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed, Gauwervyndhal, the Dragon Empress of Skelkor, has purple or rose-reddish scales. Just my two cents.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 30 Jun 2021 02:00:21
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2021 :  17:50:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2E Draconomicon had a section discussing dragon hybrids/crossbreeds. Their colouration can be any combination of their parents' colourations - a red/white might be red or white or any shade of pink, etc.
Some sort of mixed copper, black, red, or brown breed could easily appear cinnamon.

Dragons in the novels/realmslore are often described as having some sort of distinctive cosmetic variation. Sometimes just because they happen to have certain colouration, sometimes because of long exposure to certain environment, diet, or magic.
A "cinnamon" dragon could in fact be a "purebred" dragon colour with a unique appearance. Maybe a family/lineage known for the trait. Maybe a past encounter which permanently altered them. Maybe weird volcanic fumes near their lair which gradually "rusted" or "dulled" their magnificent scales.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000