Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Spellplague: The Wailing Years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  22:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I hear about "Abeir," the more it sounds like "the World of the Planetouched."

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  22:06:19  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin
Let�s see if I understand. There is an article, all written by one sole author (that is credited as an designer of the 4ed FR). In this article, the things that you dislike, you take as certain, and true, and argue about them. And the things that you like, you don�t trust as certain and true?

We have no confirmation that the side bars were written by Brian, might have been, might not have been.

But, the things I dislike are pretty damned solid. The Vilhon Reach doesn't look like it used to, not even really close. Unless that gets changed and they say "Hey, that whole thing about the Vilhon being totally different, yeah, not gonna happen" then I'd say that's certain and true.

Someone saying that "things will still retain individual flavor" isn't anything solid, not even a little bit. So yeah, it doesn't sound damning (which isn't even close to saying I like it) but I don't trust that things will retain the flavor that made me like them in the first place. Just like I don't trust when a politician says "No new taxes." :)

And criticism isn't argument, two different things.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  22:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

The anti-nature aspect is my opinion, based on the Jewel of Turmish novel, where an undead servant of Malar is trying to turn Turmish into a wasteland.

I've read that novel, and I don't think it's the best source for information about Malar (or Turmish, for that matter).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  22:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We have no confirmation that the side bars were written by Brian, might have been, might not have been.

But, the things I dislike are pretty damned solid. The Vilhon Reach doesn't look like it used to, not even really close. Unless that gets changed and they say "Hey, that whole thing about the Vilhon being totally different, yeah, not gonna happen" then I'd say that's certain and true.

Someone saying that "things will still retain individual flavor" isn't anything solid, not even a little bit. So yeah, it doesn't sound damning (which isn't even close to saying I like it) but I don't trust that things will retain the flavor that made me like them in the first place. Just like I don't trust when a politician says "No new taxes." :)

And criticism isn't argument, two different things.

Thanks for your answer, ShadezofDiz

I just want to know your line of thinking, no ofense intended.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  22:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

As to the 'Element of the Incredible', I find it incredible that no one here has made these observations. Shame.

Uh...are you addressing us? I was with you all the way, but you lost me on this bit.

If you read one of my own earlier posts, you'll see that I state very clearly that I preferred the tone of the Realms as it was, and didn't think it needed to be changed. So in spirit, I said much the same thing you did. In any case, please don't look down your nose at fellow scribes, if that's what you were doing. It's unbecoming.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Feb 2008 23:17:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:01:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The surface of the moon, long presented to us mortals as a barren landscape of craters and lifeless valleys, now revealed to me majestic mountains and sprawling seas; itself alight with similar cobalt radiance."

Ah, Brian, you're a sneaky devil! It didn't register until my second read-through, but this is what you were trying to tell me when we discussed the Leiran illusion a while back at WotC. You've my thanks.

While I liked my original theory about Cyric taking on the illusion, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time, the consequences he will suffer as a result of his pre-Spellplague actions would likely make that move kind of difficult.

I'm curious about the temperature on the moon though, now that the illusion has fallen. Realmspace notes that the surface of Selune is a cool place, except for the areas around the molten mountain tops. It is said that the temperature on the surface rarely exceeds 60 degrees [Fahrenheit, I presume], though it virtually never drops to below freezing point. The temperature factor was apparently related to Leira's illusion.

It's also partly the reason I liked the idea of Cyric maintaining the illusion. It could've worked toward ensuring that the temperature factor would be maintained as a constant -- allowing viable and [perhaps] permanent settlements to be re-established after the illusion falls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Feb 2008 00:58:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:09:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

With the revealing of lost Jhaamdathi cities, I wonder if any udoxias will be found to be still functioning.
Ed Bonny touched on this back in '05:-

"I would imagine a few Udoxias survived the tidal wave and lie under the rubble in the Vilhon. One exists under Hlondath, the yuan-ti city built upon the ruins of Lirremar, 6th city of the sword. That artifact could well account for the greater prevalence of psionics found in that city."
quote:
"Bane following his apparent resurrection" Ooh, so my "Hey, look, I'm Bane!" theory isn't officially ruled out!
I doesn't rule out the possibility of my own theory either. The usage of the word "apparent," would seem to suggest that there is still some doubt surrounding just how Bane returned.

Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh...are you addressing us? I was you all the way, but you lost me on this bit.

If you read one of my own earlier posts, you'll see that I state very clearly that I preferred the tone of the Realms as it was, and didn't think it needed to be changed. So in spirit, I said much the same thing you did. In any case, please don't look down your nose at fellow scribes, if that's what you were doing. It's unbecoming.

I realize now how that last part can be construed as intentionally condascending. I did not mean for this.

By 'haven't made these observations', I was referring to the fact that introducing Roger Dean-esque elements that are completely out of synch with the tenor and history (and perhaps even the tastes of the fans) of the realms it feels as though someone is attempting to recall the 'cool' features of an adolesence 25 years gone and inject it into 'work' that they have become bored with. I like Dean, and his work, but I like it in the pages of OMNI, on a concert poster, or in the archives of ''green'' architectural databases.

If the designers are old enough to remember and appreciate Dean, and bands like Yes, Fish, and Rush, and they're going through a mid-life crisis. For gods' sakes, get a freakin' sports car, cheat on your wife, or go smoke some pot. But messing with a known quantity in a way that could tank your collective jobs (it's possible) and departing from the creator's vision just because you miss cool 'chrome-y' looking fantasy landscapes?

Jeez... I'll buy you a subscription to Heavy Metal if you leave the Forgotten Realms alone.

edit: On second thought, don't smoke pot. That's probably where the idea of changing the Realms originated.

Edited by - Stonwulfe on 28 Feb 2008 23:22:55
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

I realize now how that last part can be construed as intentionally condascending. I did not mean for this.

All right, glad to hear it. Like I said, in spirit I'm with you all the way regarding what you said in that post.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

After Mystra's death, Azuth and Velsharoon are hurled into the Astral Pl... oops... Astral Sea. That leaves Corellon as the sole Deity with the portfolio of Magic. Considering how Corellon will be the God of Magic in the 'Core Pantheon' -- and how closely 4E FR is being modeled after the Core Stuff -- I will be *very* suprised if he isn't the new Deity of Magic in Post-Spellplague FR, too.

I will be surprised if he is the deity of magic, since they flat out stated that part of the objective was to do away with that position.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:26:10  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for your answer, ShadezofDiz

I just want to know your line of thinking, no ofense intended.

Not a problem. I'm always happy to expand upon my thoughts, on just about any given subject. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Sage
While I liked my original theory about Cyric taking on the illusion, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time, the consequences he will suffer as a result of his pre-Spellplague actions would likely make that move kind of difficult.

Heh, I totally missed the illusion on the face of the moon bit. Probably from one of the missing items from my collection. But this is a pretty fascinating idea and I might just co-opt it for my realms. It would go a long way towards making Cyric worthy of Intrigue as well, corrupting worshipers of Leira without anyone being the wiser.

quote:
Originally posted by Sage
I doesn't rule out the possibility of my own theory either. The usage of the word "apparent," would seem to suggest that there is still some doubt surrounding just how Bane returned.

I really hope this one doesn't get explained actually. I'd rather like the dozens of possibilities that abound on Candlekeep and I think that fits in with the flavor of the Realms. :)

edit: My html, she be broken.

Mod Edit: I've cleared it up a bit.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Feb 2008 23:32:13
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:36:00  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

After Mystra's death, Azuth and Velsharoon are hurled into the Astral Pl... oops... Astral Sea. That leaves Corellon as the sole Deity with the portfolio of Magic. Considering how Corellon will be the God of Magic in the 'Core Pantheon' -- and how closely 4E FR is being modeled after the Core Stuff -- I will be *very* suprised if he isn't the new Deity of Magic in Post-Spellplague FR, too.

I will be surprised if he is the deity of magic, since they flat out stated that part of the objective was to do away with that position.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I've never had a problem with a Mystra type Goddess of Magic (even the start of Midnight/Mystra, she was just young and dumb) and I do think that it makes for a great church but I've never had much love for Mystra. I do find fault in her death, but that's not what we're talking about here.

You know, the more I think about it the more I'm not really torn. I'm pretty pro-Mystra. I just don't see Corellon being a good fit. Don't get me wrong, I dig him, but he's a bit too pro-elf for me to be behind him.

Alright, I'm getting too speculative. I'll wait and read some more to comment on the deities.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say that despite all my negative feelings about 4E FR, Brian really managed to write an excellent article that managed to present a lot of the changes in a much more positive (and exciting) light than the previous articles. I especially liked the excerpt in the beginning and, as always, Brian managed to sneak in a lot of juicy lore. Although I've come to expect a lot from Brian, this article took me by surprise. Did it "sell" the 4E FR to me? No, it didn't. Yet on the other hand, I don't really think that anything will...

However, if I were completely new to FR, I'd probably be very excited and inspired about this stuff. I think that if anyone still harbors any doubts about Brian's talent, this article should prove to them that he has truly earned his seat among the Great Lorelords of the Realms!

I *do* have concerns about some of the stuff presented in the article, but that doesn't actually have anything to do with Brian, I guess.

First of all, I still don't get why the Weave would collapse when Mystra dies. It didn't when Mystryl or Mystra 1.0 died. Why now? IIRC it had been said that Mystra *had* prepared for this possibility, and had taken necessary steps to ensure that there *would* be Mystra 3.0 if she died. Now, this didn't come to pass, yet I'm puzzled about this... Shar has just apparently suffered a serious "backlash" as she loses control over the Shadow Weave, and *still* she is able to prevent the "new" Mystra from ascending? Ahem, to me it seems... unlikely?

I'd have no problem about this stuff about the Weave collapsing and the Spellplague ravaging the world if, for example, Shar and Cyric had unleashed Dendar's most powerful nightmares (or Dendar herself) at the new Mystra just as she was born (and yet not in her full power). This might have driven the goddess mad, which would have echoed through the Weave, thus beginning the Spellplague. Maybe it was Mystra who instinctively managed to shield some of the places from the Plague -- or maybe her precedessors had woven some divine wards over them in case something like this would happen? In the end, Mystra's madness would consume her and the badly-damaged Weave completely, thus ending the Spellplague just in time for 4E FR.

I didn't like the fact that Nobanion is being retconned into an Unaligned Epic/Semi-Divine Servant of Silvanus. Um... I wonder how many other deities will meet a similar fate? Another thing: apparently the number of "actual" Deities in 4E FR Pantheon mirrors *exactly* the number of deities in the Core Pantheon...

I also wonder if the designers have paid heed to the fact (which was pointed out here on another thread) that the Mystra's Chosen do *not* lose their Divine Essence when Mystra dies. Or will just be retconned like so many other things in 4E FR?

Then there's the matter of Selûne being transformed into a lush and verdant planet with lakes and mountains and all. Is this another Core or 'Points of Light' feature, that just has to be shoehorned into FR to make it as close to the Core as possible? And is it the same with the constellations "rearranging themselves"?

Lastly, I wonder if this article (being set in 1395 DR rather than almost a hundred years later) implies that the designers have chosen to "give in" to (relatively) many fans voicing out their concerns over advancing the timeline by a hundred years? Or does it simply mean that they're going to include two optional campaign starting years in FRCG?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmmm... I don't know -- I thought they wanted to do away with a "uber-powerful" *human* Deity of Magic and her (equally) "uber" servants?

As they've revealed that FR should be modeled after the Core stuff as closely as possible (including the removal of Racial Pantheons) it'd be pretty logical to assume that Corellon will be the new God of Magic. Anyway, that's how I see it.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:52:44  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I didn't like the fact that Nobanion is being retconned into an Unaligned Epic/Semi-Divine Servant of Silvanus. Um... I wonder how many other deities will meet a similar fate? Another thing: apparently the number of "actual" Deities in 4E FR Pantheon mirrors *exactly* the number of deities in the Core Pantheon...

Wow, that actually fits eerily well with my own personal Great Tree Theory. Not that it is exactly as many as Core, but that there are less "Truly divine" beings and more "Semi-divine" beings.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:02:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then there's the matter of Selûne being transformed into a lush and verdant planet with lakes and mountains and all. Is this another Core or 'Points of Light' feature, that just has to be shoehorned into FR to make it as close to the Core as possible? And is it the same with the constellations "rearranging themselves"?

Well, I don't know about the constellations rearranging themselves (that's new, and I don't know why that was written in)... But Selûne wasn't transformed; the illusion that covered those mountains and lakes was stripped away. That's from the Spelljammer sourcebook Realmspace, which I referred to in one of my posts.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, this morning Zalaznar Crinios was a NE darktree druid 20, and now he is a NE treant druid 12. Also, the sidebar with the bit about Nobanion and Exarchs is gone...(I could have sworn that I had read it this morning.)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know very few of the Realmspace, and don´t have any stuff, sooo, here´s the question:

Why there was an illusion covering the verdant Selune? And who put this illusion there?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Interesting, this morning Zalaznar Crinios was a NE darktree druid 20, and now he is a NE treant druid 12. Also, the sidebar with the bit about Nobanion and Exarchs is gone...(I could have sworn that I had read it this morning.)

You're correct -- I read them too. I wonder why Brian (or was it even Brian?) changed the content of the article. I'm especially puzzled about removing that sidebar...

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it printed to prove the existence of the vanished sidebar. ^^

Hmmm... this sounds like another plot of Cyric.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:29:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're correct -- I read them too. I wonder why Brian (or was it even Brian?) changed the content of the article. I'm especially puzzled about removing that sidebar...

I don't think Brian removed the sidebar. 'Twas more than likely the result of behind-the-scenes editing -- perhaps prompted by the overwhelming critical analysis of the change itself.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:33:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know very few of the Realmspace, and don´t have any stuff, sooo, here´s the question:

Why there was an illusion covering the verdant Selune? And who put this illusion there?

Perhaps because the Leiran worshippers were somewhat xenophobic, and concerned about an invasion from Toril. The illusion was crafted by Leira herself. It makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:50:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I doubt Brian could have changed the content, once it was posted. It's questionable where the order came from, but it's undoubtedly from someone who is a paid, full-time WotC employee, who told the web guys to change it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  00:53:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Malar turn someone into a tree? That seems rather unlike him, since trees (even treants, as the guy now is) aren't considered very savage...

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  01:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm very glad that WoTC are doing this, so I can save my money for more interesting purchases in 2008. Both Pathfinder and ASOIAF RPG look very interesting indeed.

Ah well. I still love the 'Old' Realms, and hope to keep discussing them here, but I'll also be looking elsewhere for my gaming pleasure now.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found out that the Nobanion sidebar was pulled because the FR design team is going another direction with our furry friend and this outdated version accidently slipped through editing.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  03:12:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

A new Countdown to the Realms article has been posted on D&D Insider.

Spellplague: The Wailing Years.

*sighs*

10 more years.
At least the time portal is provided.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  03:18:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found out that the Nobanion sidebar was pulled because the FR design team is going another direction with our furry friend and this outdated version accidently slipped through editing.

You know what scares me the most. The core design team has had over two years to map direction and the lead time to an article tends to be about three months. The PHB, DMG and MM should be on the way to the printers, WotC can not compile the ezines for months, but can edit one article that had information not consistant with 4th (redesigning) Design Team on eve of pubucation (edited in what 12 hours?).

I know it is not your fault, just used your post as a base to rant off of.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 29 Feb 2008 03:22:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  03:44:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? Can you offer any further info, there?

Also, was that inclusion originally yours, or was it added after the fact?

Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  03:52:59  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Relieved to hear that - for now. I just couldn't grasp how the one diety who embodied inherent nobility (and seemed to hold more paladin-esque qualities than either Tyr or Torm, at least to me) could be nerfed to the point that he became an unaligned tree-huggin' druid stuck in animal form.

It suddenly occurs to me (don't know why it never did before), that Nobanion would have been a better fit in the Triad than Ilmater. Justice, Duty, and Nobility. Although Mercy seems at first blush to belong as well, I think of it as being a little less...militant, for lack of a better word, than the others, and better suited for grouping with Llira and Eldath.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000