Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fortresses and Frogeyes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2008 :  01:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im inquiring on two things shown by the name of the post.My question on fortresses is about asking the ammount of time and cost(or resources) it should take to build the various fortifications shown in "Heroes of Battle" (also wondering the same about basic castle construction).

My next question is applying to the fact that I want to charge the characters I'm running for spell components. I would highly appreciate any suggestions on prices. (sorry, I just have no idea what to charge for bat guano, spider leg etc.)

Regards,
Fhaorn'quessir

Wander ye all to my humble gallery of art of the Realms, Ye'll find it right next to the Sly Wink Alehouse in Sumberton. Or at this page: http://goldendwarf.deviantart.com/

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2008 :  06:02:14  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have Heroes of Battle, but I do have the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. You should try to get it. Even though it isn't a 3.5 edition book, it contains many info on the cost of buildings, including castles and fortresses.

As for the cost of spell components, it is normaly included in the cost of a spell component pouch, which is 5 gp in the Player's Handbook. So, whatever you choose to charge shouldn't be more than that for any specific basic component. I think it may be too much details to make a character pay for every component, but you could rule that a pouch contains enough for the casting of X spells, say 50 or a hundred... or maybe impose a maximum for a specific component (for exemple, a pouch is valid for 100 casting, with no more than 15 casting of any given spell)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2008 :  06:14:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Building any stuture has two major factors, available material and available man power. There have been from time to time published average cost for a fortress design. The DM needs to modify based on local conditions.

As for things like bat guano, spider leg the cost likely is 1 copper piece in most areas and likely that price covers more then enough to cast many spells. Local conditions of course might be able to drive price up a little. Regions that do not have spiders or bats the compoents need to be imported. In such a region I suspect 8 spider legs might cost all of 2 copper and so on. The reason there is no listed cost for many common components is because you can find them quickly. Prehaps flip a copper piece to a child to get them for you.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000