Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Tarrasque
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maculo
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  18:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Maculo's Homepage Send Maculo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has any official Realms info about this beast been released since the old "How the Mighty are Fallen" adventure? I'd like to see if anything has been written on it since. Otherwise I'm going to assume it's still sleeping in the heavily protected mound.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:17:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It attacked the Heralds Holdfast at one point after Netheril fell. I can't recall which sourcebook it is in. Probably either Waterdeep & the North, the Volo's Guide to the North, or the North box set. Then again, maybe it was in one of the campaign box sets. Also, Ed has discussed the beastie a time or two, so check his notes.

Edit: Could also be in the Code of the Harpers. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Jan 2008 19:19:23
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also went on a rampage somewhere north or west of Shadowdale and tore a swath through a bunch of dragons, as it was controled by some mysterious masked figure until the paladin Priam Agrivar damaged the staff that the figure was controlling the Tarrasque with, at which point it wandered away to points unknown, and the masked figure disappeared.

This all happened just prior to the Time of Troubles, and was detailed in the Forgotten Realms Comic book series by DC.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 24 Jan 2008 21:29:23
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  01:18:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And don't forget that Ed of the Greenwood had a hand in penning the Ecology of said beastie in one of the last few printed issues of DRAGON. Perhaps the last one; I forget and am away from my 'zines right now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  01:35:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Lady, 'twas indeed, sadly, the last issue of DRAGON -- #359.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Maculo
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  17:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Maculo's Homepage Send Maculo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you much.

I have access to most of these sources. Just ordered the last issue of Dragon. Too bad I didn't discover the joy of the magazine and it's sibling until it's last year in print.

If anyone thinks of others sources I can check out, please let me know.

Edited by - Maculo on 25 Jan 2008 17:20:07
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  17:25:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the "advnance" Tarrasque in that issue, and I'd be more likely to use that one as "the" Tarraque given that its a bit more . . . apocalyptic?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  02:50:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget if you need a custom solution, there's plenty of unexplored map on Toril for the tarrasque to be rampaging through at the moment. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  04:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an article on the real Tarrasque, the Medieval monster, in Dragon 329 (March 2005), "The Petite Tarrasque & Other Monsters." It is not Realms-related, of course, but it might give you an idea for some specialized way to kill the beast, such as a single sword strike from a virginal priestess of Sharess named "Beth-Ann," a secret revealed in a lost prophecy which the PCs would have to discover by undertaking a long and glorious quest.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Maculo
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  22:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Maculo's Homepage Send Maculo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read about it before. An old french tale if I remember correctly.

Remember the old example method of suggested ways to destroy artifacts? I wonder how many artifacts the Tarrasque is trying to digest at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  05:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See page 30 of the Grand History of the Realms, there is some info about the Tarrasque nesting for a time in the continent of Katashaka, in the land where the Tabaxi came from.
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  08:15:10  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tarrasque also makes an appearance in Elminster's Ecologies, in the random encounter charts for the Thunder Peaks and Storm Horns mountains.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000