Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Spellplague/Murder of Mystra Initiated Godswar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  17:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was thinking about ways that they could trim the pantheon without causing too much of a fuss (IMO). One way that I came up with is if the murder of Mystra sparked a Godswar. Rich Baker already stated that it is likely that Selune re-absorbed bits of her power that went into the creation of Mystryl long, long ago in her primordial conflict with Shar. Suppose that after re-absorbing this power, she ignited a Godswar, light against darknes, good versus evil, et cetera, et cetera. This, in addition to the Spellplague (or instead of the Spellplague) could have torn apart the cosmology so it had to be rebuilt. Also, I thought that it would be interesting to speculate who would be on each side, who would play both sides, and who would try to stay utterly neutral. Another fun speculation could be who would die, and which deities would pick up their lost portfolios after their death.

To begin, obviously, you would have Shar on one side (evil/darkness) and Selune on the other (good/light). And Mask would definitely be playing both sides (while also trying to figure out how to sneak in and kill Cyric while he is under house arrest).

EDIT: Even with a Godswar to explain where all the missing deities went, this still would not satisfy my great upset that they are going to retcon some racial deities into aspects of human deities. (i.e. When Rich hinted that Gruumsh might just be an aspect of Talos.)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 24 Jan 2008 16:59:32

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  18:30:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm a long time ago elves tried to teach humans Elven High Magic, instead they chose another path (Mystra) instead. Wit her dead races appear to be offered two choices Shadow Weave or Elven Magic(that for some reason appears not to be Weave anymore, perhaps Fey Magic?)leading to a Elven Deity of magic being looked to for magic from others races. Change clearly is one reason for upset, but at least having an answer might make some changes easier to live with.

Of course my idea might not be design team idea of why Corellon has an increase of non Elven worshipers.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  23:00:05  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hmm a long time ago elves tried to teach humans Elven High Magic, instead they chose another path (Mystra) instead. Wit her dead races appear to be offered two choices Shadow Weave or Elven Magic(that for some reason appears not to be Weave anymore, perhaps Fey Magic?)leading to a Elven Deity of magic being looked to for magic from others races. Change clearly is one reason for upset, but at least having an answer might make some changes easier to live with.

Of course my idea might not be design team idea of why Corellon has an increase of non Elven worshipers.

I was also thinking about the magic issue. The Imaskari developed a source of magic that had nothing to do with any deity’s. I also believe they didn't have any restraints on there magic (the 9th level limit). Maybe this is the source for 4th Ed. magic.

This is a bit off topic but do you think that a lot of mages went mad because they tried to tap into the Shadow weave?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  01:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spree Thunderheart

This is a bit off topic but do you think that a lot of mages went mad because they tried to tap into the Shadow weave?

Not likely, insanity is not one of the symptoms listed of tapping into the Shadow Weave, in fact, the only symptom I know rules wise is that you can no longer tap into the Weave (though 'delusions of grandeur' could arguably be a metagame symptom). I think it has more to be with the reasons given by designers, the interface with which they accessed the weave, and the goddess who personifies it are all of a sudden gone. I see it as an effect (though more drastic) similar to being ejected from the Matrix. Also, considering that the Spellplague is a physical manifestation, it could also be that they came into contact with it. And as you said, it is off topic, and I would like to reserve this thread for the speculations mentioned in the first post.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  01:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hawkins, it's a rather good way to explain things, in my opinion. Perhaps some of the battles from the Time of Troubles and its godswar left festering grudges and plots (Cyric's dislike of Mystra, etc.), so that this second godswar in the Year of Blue Fire might be analogous to the Second World War having its roots at the end of the First World/Great War. It's certainly something to ponder and one that a good DM could have a field day with. ~_^

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Hawkins, it's a rather good way to explain things, in my opinion. Perhaps some of the battles from the Time of Troubles and its godswar left festering grudges and plots (Cyric's dislike of Mystra, etc.), so that this second godswar in the Year of Blue Fire might be analogous to the Second World War having its roots at the end of the First World/Great War. It's certainly something to ponder and one that a good DM could have a field day with. ~_^

Didn't also Cyric learned of Mystra's true name, Ariel? When they were human, Cyric overheard Midnight telling Kelemvor.

Maybe this was something that allowed Cyric to kill Mystra.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  11:09:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that deities are beyond true names...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  17:27:10  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, it was just one of those things that was mentioned in the novel Waterdeep that seemed to me to be something that would have consequences in the future.

The passage from the book:

"For an instant, Cyric was afraid of Midnight's threat. Then, the thief remembered that he knew the mage's true name, Ariel Manx. He smiled weakly and wondered if that would have any power over Midnight now that she was a goddess.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  17:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That novel seems to have a wonky idea of what "true names" are, anyway. "Ariel Manx" was Midnight's given name (I believe), not her true name, which would have been well hidden. Besides, her mortal true name might not even apply anymore, thanks to Mystra's godhood.

If "Ariel Manx" is Mystra's true name, than "Cyric" would be Cyric's true name.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Feb 2008 17:58:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  18:19:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, it was just one of those things that was mentioned in the novel Waterdeep that seemed to me to be something that would have consequences in the future.

The passage from the book:

"For an instant, Cyric was afraid of Midnight's threat. Then, the thief remembered that he knew the mage's true name, Ariel Manx. He smiled weakly and wondered if that would have any power over Midnight now that she was a goddess.

It's implied that it maight be an issue, but even there Cyric isn't sure if it would work.

With the way deities are so far beyond mortals, I wouldn't imagine that the true name of an ascended mortal would have any bearing. A deity might not even notice someone trying to pull something there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arkham
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  06:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Arkham's Homepage Send Arkham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Though a Weaver falls, the tapestry stays.
Only under strong gale will the standard
Unfold fully in a glorious blaze,
When lifted by the fully enamored.
Even so, the woven will not be taut.
A million hands could not make it so
Overly large and intricately wrought
That two deities should bring so much woe.
We are children hidden beneath a sheet,
Raising our arms upward, seeking a path
In darkness, hoping, praying, to meet
Our savior, while wading through the aftermath.
The magic is here, though its master is gone,
We sit in the abyss, awaiting dawn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000