Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  07:41:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, I found the feat. It deals with providing a limited defense against such abilities.

Anyway, I could see this feat being expanded to take into consideration, some other spell effects...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  07:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by other spell effects?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  04:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Natural Athlete

Your character is a natural at all tasks dealing with physical prowess.

Benefit: Add +1 to your character’s Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength scores.

Special: This feat can only be taken at 1st level.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  04:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ordered Mind

Your character is a natural at all tasks dealing with mental prowess.

Benefit: Add +1 to your character’s Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom scores.

Special: This feat can only be taken at 1st level.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  06:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good ideas, although maybe a little overpowered.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree. I think they are fine the way they are.

Although, some prerequistes might make them more 'balanced'. Maybe have the wizard or cleric as a base selection for Ordered Mind, and a fighter or thief for the Natural Athlete feat.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:16:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then again, adding those types of prerequisites may take value away from these feats. As I see it, these feats could work well for those PC's who have high Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength scores, but lack comparable Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom scores...or vice versa.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds about right. Actually, how about:
Ordered Mind-Monk, Wizard, Cleric
Natural Athlete-Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:55:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great....

Although what I was just saying before, about the comparable abilities, may be more in line with what Bookwyrm may have been thinking about.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't see the second post when I responded. Sorry. I guess we'll just have to wait for Bookwyrm...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  17:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Then again, adding those types of prerequisites may take value away from these feats. As I see it, these feats could work well for those PC's who have high Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength scores, but lack comparable Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom scores...or vice versa.

That's kind of it. A character with high scores would get closer to the next even-numbered increment, but at each increase of one ability at higher levels a player is more likely to pick just one.

The true value of this is when a player uses the point-buy system. It allows the player to take some points and put them in others. Say, for instance, a fighter used the Natural Athlete. That doesn't mean that he's exceptionally athletic, just that it comes so easily that he can concentrate on some other abilities. So, assume he had 18 Str, 16 Dex, and 14 Con. If he lowered them to 17, 15, and 13 respectively, and then used the feat, he'd be back at the same levels but have six more points to put elsewhere -- like in Intelligence, so he could get more skill points.

Of course, that means that he's out one feat, but then that's the penalty you have to pay for any feat.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  07:42:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's certainly an interesting way of using it. I may give it a try when PC creation is again a factor for one of my games.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  05:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inborn Talent

Your character excels at certain tasks.

Benefit: Pick one ability (Charisma, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Strength, or Wisdom). Your character gains a +2 modifier on all skill checks dealing with that ability.

Special: This feat can only be taken at 1st level. In the case of a bonus feat at first level, such as that granted to human characters, this feat can be taken twice. It affects one of the other five abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  05:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That one's very good. Great job, Bookwyrm.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  03:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This new skill came out of two things. First, from the research I did while creating my new character. Second, out of a dissatisfaction with the similar use of the Sense Motive skill detailed in Sword and Fist. I hope it doesn’t seem too complicated; as you all know, I’m too wordy for my own good. (I’m like the Swiss with gears; I use five words where one would do. )

Knowledge (melee fighting)

Everyone has a certain combat style, even novices, and trained observers can often take advantage of the way a combatant moves. The skill Knowledge (melee fighting) represents that training, and allows observers to make a Spot check to gain this advantage when in melee combat with that character.

In order to do this, the observer must be within range of the target, the observer must have line of sight, and the target must be in personal melee combat. The range is defined as 10 feet + 5 feet for every rank in Knowledge (melee fighting), and normal Spot penalties apply. (Therefore, a character with five ranks can be as far away as 35 feet, but suffers a -3 penalty on the check.) This action can be made during combat, but only against one foe that the observer is fighting and only during a Total Defense action.

The roll is a standard Spot check versus a DC of 20 + the opponent’s highest Base Attack Bonus; the more experienced the opponent is with melee tactics, the harder it is to find weaknesses in his or her style. A penalty may result due to combat conditions.

If the check succeeds, the observer may choose between a +1 dodge bonus on the next round, or a +1 insight bonus on his or her next attack roll. Both enhancements can only be used against the observer’s target, and must be used within 3 combat rounds. Consecutive checks do not stack, and merely reset the three-round limit.

There is no limit to how many times this action can be performed, but it can only be used against one opponent at a time. The study provokes an attack of opportunity, but only from other opponents, not the target.

Synergy: Having 5 ranks in Knowledge (melee fighting) grants a +2 synergy bonus on such Spot checks. Every additional 5 ranks grant another +2 bonus.

Having 5 ranks in Knowledge (melee fighting) grants a +2 synergy bonus when using Bluff to preform a feinting action. Every additional five ranks grant another +2 bonus.

Special: Knowledge (melee fighting) is a class skill of the Duelist Prestige Class.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  03:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artalis deserves some credit for this skill, just as he does for my “Knowledge (history of magic)” skill. My first character was designed to meet up with his Sorcerer 1/Wizard 1 character and start teaching him in the Way of Wizards (apologies to Jim Cross ). After Mumadar went underground for a while (I’m told that a formidable woman was hot on his trail ), I didn’t develop the skill like I meant to. Now that I’ve got a character who also enjoys teaching, I’ve dusted it off and decided to post it here.

Profession (tutor)

Your character can earn a living tutoring others, chiefly children of the wealthy. You cannot teach anything you do not know unless you successfully Bluff your employer.

Synergy: For every 5 ranks in a skill your character is attempting to teach, add a +2 synergy bonus to the Profession (tutor)check.

If you are attempting to teach another how to be a member of a class you have levels in, you add your levels in that class to the Profession (tutor) check when determining pay; when relating to the actual teaching (such as determining how well you have performed your job), you may only add a maximum of 10 levels to the check.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  03:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea, Bookwyrm. Two things:
1)Your base attack bonus doesn't decrease, it just goes down for consecutive attacks. When something references base attack bonus, it is always referencing the full base attack bonus.
2)I'd suggest changing the Special line to:
Special:This skill is on the skill list for any prestige class or class that has a base attack bonus progression of 3 quarters of class level. For epic prestige classes, this feat is on the skill list for any class that has the Epic Dodge and Improved Combat Reflexes feats on its bonus feat list.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  05:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Good idea, Bookwyrm. Two things:
1)Your base attack bonus doesn't decrease, it just goes down for consecutive attacks. When something references base attack bonus, it is always referencing the full base attack bonus.
2)I'd suggest changing the Special line to:
Special:This skill is on the skill list for any prestige class or class that has a base attack bonus progression of 3 quarters of class level. For epic prestige classes, this feat is on the skill list for any class that has the Epic Dodge and Improved Combat Reflexes feats on its bonus feat list.

First, I never said that it decreases; I know how it works, and it makes sense to me. The reason I said "highest Base Attack Bonus" rather than just was because I wanted there to be no opportunity for someone to say "But my character found the weakness on the other guy's last strike, so the DC should be way less than that!"

As for who gets it as a class skill, I gave it to the Duelist because it was the only one I could think of off the top of my head that concentrated on skill rather than power.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  05:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be insulting. I added the second suggestion to cover the fighter class, and to allow the skill to be open to others that it would make sense for them to have it. I can think of some other classes: the tempest and the rogue.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  05:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and the monk is probably a good one too. I was just fixated on the duelist because of my character.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  05:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ack, we all do that for those sorts of things. The original Energy Focus was instead called Cold Tradition, and had a page of text for it.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  06:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ack, we all do that for those sorts of things. The original Energy Focus was instead called Cold Tradition, and had a page of text for it.

Um, sorry, but -- what?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  06:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first sentence said that when we create custom content, we create it with a specific purpose in mind, at the cost of making it applicable generally. The second sentence referred to the Energy Focus feat I posted a while back.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  04:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this feat while looking for one to round out Jack Archer. See, his "fencer" levels were modifed from the fighter class, and since he had four of them, I gave him Weapon Specialization (rapier). Recently I realized that was very wrong. A fencer fights to the first touch (or third, in some unofficial duels). Damage is not a part of it. Jack wouldn't have trained to deal more damage at all.

So I cast around, trying to find something. I found some "fighting style" feats that were close, but nothing had the right feel. Then, in Gryphon's Tome of Feats, I found the following:

Jab; Accurate

You can concentrate on hitting your opponent rather than inflicting great damage.

Prerequisite: Dex 13, Int 13

Benefit: When you use the attack action or full attack action in melee, you gain a bonus to your attack rolls as much as +5 and subtract the same number (Max -5) from the damage you inflict. This number may not exceed your Base Attack Bonus. When you use this feat, you do not gain any bonuses to damage from your Strength. Regardless of the penalties to your damage rolls, you inflict at least 1 point of damage on a successful hit. The changes in attack and damage last until your next action.

It's obvious that someone was trying to make the opposite of the Power Attack feat. However, whoever it was (no name listed) didn't think of a few things. First, what if it's a dagger? That gives 1d4 damage. It doesn't seem fair to subtract more than 3 points from that.
And then, what if it's something a lot greater than 1d6?

So anyway, I decided to rewrite that feat. (Obviously, as otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.) It now reflects more of a fencing style. (It doesn't do a thing for Jack, at least not now.)

Lunge

Sometimes accuracy is better than massive damage.

Prerequisite: Dex 13, Int 13, Balance 5 ranks.

Benefit: When making a melee attack with a one-handed thrusting weapon, you may deduct a number of points from your damage roll and add the same amount to your attack roll. This number can never be greater than one point less than your weapon’s maximum damage. (Thus, a damage of 1d4 yields up to +3 to attack, 1d6 yields up to +5, and so on.)

Any bonuses to Strength are not applied; when lunging, a character is treated as having no Strength bonus when rolling for damage. Strength penalties still apply, and count against the base damage of the weapon.

Bonus damage not related to the weapon itself (such as a Sneak Attack bonus) cannot be deducted in this manner. If it is connected to the weapon (such as through magical enhancement or Weapon Specialization), it counts as deductible.

The changes in attack and damage last until your next action. Note that no matter the penalty to damage rolls, a weapon always deals at least one point of damage upon a successful hit.

Special: A fighter may select Lunge as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  04:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone thinks this defeats a balancing issue, let me know. I just thought it was lacking.

Increased Attack [Epic]

Your character’s Base Attack Bonus increases.

Prerequisite: +3 Epic Attack Bonus, less than +16 Base Attack Bonus.

Benefit: By sacrificing three points of your Epic Attack Bonus, you may increase your Base Attack Bonus. While this does not change your maximum attack bonus, it may allow you to gain an additional iterative attack.

Your Base Attack Bonus may not increase beyond +16. If adding three points to your Base attack bonus would raise it beyond +16, those extra points are lost. They cannot be restored by any means, such as lesser restoration restoration, limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Normal: A character’s Base Attack Bonus does not increase after achieving his or her 20th character level.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  06:42:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it looks balanced from here .

Since there is some new activity with this scroll, I would be remiss in my duties as a Master of Realmslore not to contribute...

These have been worked up quickly, so there may be errors -

Iriaeboran Fencing Style [General, Fighter]

The adept fencers of Iriaebor usually favour the rapier over the saber and their efficient style reflects this dedication. Iriaeboran fencing is usually brutally fast, and always consists of many quick slashes with the rapier.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +3, Proficient with rapier

Benefit: PC fencers will gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls when using a rapier.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Dec 2003 06:43:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  06:44:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another -

Defensive Blow [General, Fighter]

Your PC has learned to sacrifice some of the power of his blows in exchange for improved defense.

Prerequisites: Wisdom 13+

Benefit: On your PC's action, before making the attack rolls for the round, you may choose to subtract a number from your PC's damage rolls and add that number to your PC's AC. This number must never exceed your PC's wisdom bonus. The penalty on damage, and the bonus to your PC's attack rolls apply only until your PC's next action.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  06:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, where's Iriaebor? And second, was that the suggestion you were going to make for Jack Archer (which you never did get around to )?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  08:19:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iriaebor...the City of Spires.... It occupies a sprawling ridge above the north reaches of the Chionthar River.

And yes, it was the suggestion I was going to make but ended up not, as I am currently working on a different, yet similar feat.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  15:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quiver with anticipation.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000