Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:37:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'll keep it like it is.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:40:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other alternative that I can see at present, for the cleric level drop, would be to change the 15+ Int, to 15+ Wis.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would just benefit the cleric. Wisdom is the primary ability for clerics.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:52:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realise that. However, I believe WIS works just as well as INT for this feat.

Appraise is the only skill tied to Intelligence, while Bluff is tied to Charisma.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right. You don't need to be really smart to be a good haggler. If anything, the ability should be Charisma. However, I think I'll wait for some other comments before doing any more changes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:58:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charisma, seems to be an even better suggestion.

I will try and find a copy of that similar feat I was talking about earlier. I would like to see what they suggested.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  11:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, let me know when you get it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  11:54:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have found the specific feat, however it has no OGL so I cannot reprint it here. I can say however, that this particular feat has a prerequisite of CHA +14. It also has as prerequisites - Mercantile Background, a non FR feat called Money Bags, and 12 ranks in the Bluff skill.

I have emailed the author for permission to post the feat here. I will await his permission, and if possible post the rest here.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that interesting. Sounds very close to mine.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:10:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just received an email back from the author?. He told me he was the one responsible for processing and cleaning up the mechanics of the feat, although he is not the author. He is contacting the original author for permission now.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:11:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I like the CHA +14 though. I would probably change that to +15 or something.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know. I've a scan from (I assume) some issue of Dragon on how to make feats. It says to always use odd-numbered ability prerequisites, to balance out the fact that it's the even-numbered scores that give the bonus.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:25:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was that the Monte Cook article PDF you can download for free, from some sites?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it's by Jonathan Tweek and Sean K. Reynolds.

Oh, and I just noticed, when I opened the file, that I broke one of their guidelines. "Don't make a particular class, or a certain number of levels in a class, be a prerequisite for a feat."

However, I can't think of any other game way to say it without saying the exact same thing. "5th level cleric of Waukeen" is the same as "ability to cast fifth-level divine spells as a follower of Waukeen" -- and it's shorter.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  14:44:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Several feats I have seen in some of the GRP's Encyclopedia Arcane series have breached this guideline with suggested class level prerequisites. Besides as you said, there really isn't any other way to qualify this feat in game terms.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know if anyone's compiled a master list of feats? As in all the feats from canon sources?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going through the metamagic feats in the PHB and the Highten Spell feat caught my eye. If you have that, would it stack with another metamagic feat? The description gave no clue. See, if it did, then that metaspell (my term for a metamagic-altered spell) would be cast at a high level for free.

I'm assuming that hightening (say) a quickened spell by one spell level would make it take up a spell slot of two levels higher than usual, but act as if it were only one level higher. It's just that the book doesn't say.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, already, I have another thing to gripe about. I just can't shut up, can I?

Allow me to quote a canon feat:

quote:

COOPERATIVE SPELL [Metamagic]

You can cast spells to greater effect in conjunction with the same spell cast by another.

Prerequisite: Any other metamagic feat.

Benefit: You and another spellcaster with the Cooperative Spell feat can simultaneously cast the same spell (at the same time in the same round). You must be adjacent to one another when casting cooperatively. Add +2 to the save DC and +1 to caster level checks to beat a creature’s spell resistance (if any). Use the base DC and level check of the better caster. A cooperative spell uses up a spell slot of the same level as the spell’s actual level.

Special: For each additional caster with this feat casting the same cooperative spell simultaneously, the spell’s save DC and caster level check both increase by +1. When more than two spellcasters cooperatively cast a spell, each must be adjacent to at least two other casters.

For example, four spellcasters (two wizards and two sorcerers) standing in a circle all possess Cooperative Spell. Three of them ready an action to cast fireball when the member with the lowest initiative takes her action, also casting fireball. The base DC of the Reflex save is equal to the highest individual save DC among the cooperative casters, as determined by their respective ability scores or other feats (such as Spell Focus), special abilities, or items. In this case, one wizard has Intelligence 18, which ties with a sorcerer’s Charisma 18, so the base DC is 17 (10 + 3 for the spell’s level + 4 for the ability score modifier). The final save DC of the cooperatively cast fireball is 17+2+1+1 or 21. Whoever has the highest caster level determines the base caster level check, which gains a +4 modifier.

Okay. First, if I may, I'd like to point out that whoever wrote that feat up can't count well. Right at the end there, where it says what the caster level check would be -- it should be +3. It's +1 for each additional caster, not the total. I don't know how that got past them if I spotted it.

Second, the real reason I'm making a post about this. Is this a good feat to choose? I mean, if two casters cast a spell, okay, you get +2 to the DC and +1 to the level check; but is it really worth losing a spell? They each cast a spell, but only one is used.

Either I don't know how useful a DC and caster level increase is, or this feat needs some more benefits. What do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:26:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, if you look here you will find an interesting resource which gathers a collection of files on d20 feats and skill, from nearly all official sources (up to April 2003).

The WotC website once had a complete listing of all official feats printed in their accessories, but for some reason I can no longer access the appropriate page. It wouldn't be much help anyway, since the last time it was updated was February 2002.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:37:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I'm assuming that hightening (say) a quickened spell by one spell level would make it take up a spell slot of two levels higher than usual, but act as if it were only one level higher. It's just that the book doesn't say.
I think that is correct Bookwyrm. I had thoughts about this 6 months ago, when a similar discussion was carried out on the WotC D&D forums (the old boards). I think it was Sean K Reynolds answer (who also participated in that discussion for a period), that the revised 3.5e would make these types of 'faults' with some feat descriptions clearer.

I did a search for the thread, but since the old forums are now read-only, I couldn't find it. WotC is slowly 'pruning' the old forums to make more space on their servers I suppose, so forum threads only go back as far as March 2003.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:47:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the 'Cooperative Spell feat', I have never really liked it simply because I think that it doesn't provide enough in the way of benefits. I know that it has great advantages when multiple spellcasters are present, but I have never really run campaigns with more than one- or two wizards/sorcerers.

I have used the feat twice in campaigns with three spellcasters - two wizards (7th,8th) and one sorcerer (12th) - but the effect was negligible on the overall battle considering the amount of undead, and alu-fiends present in the melee combat session at the time.

I am hoping that this feat will also receive some alterations in the 'revision'.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  11:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, like I said, it would make more sense if the spellcasters didn't use up all the castings save one. It would be much better if the four casters in their description turned out four fireballs with those benefits. Otherwise, what's the point? The sort of situation where you would need a more potent spell rather than four seperate castings of the same spell would be rare.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  11:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I finally got around to updating my old Knowledge (anatomy) skill. I think the benefit it gives to melee battle is much more realistic now.

Knowledge (anatomy)

There are certain places on the bodies of all species that tend to be universally vulnerable: the base of the skull, the tendons of the wrist, the major arteries on limbs.

If your character has five or more ranks in Knowledge (anatomy), he or she puts this knowledge to use by inflicting one extra point of normal or subdual damage upon a successful hit. This bonus increases by +1 for every five ranks in Knowledge (anatomy) your character gains.

This extra damage is only available with certain weapons, and is not available with damage caused by most spells. Your DM always has the final say on what weapons can deal this damage. Your DM also has final say on whether a particular creature is too alien to be vulnerable in this way.

In addition to a bonus to damage, if your character has five or more ranks in Knowledge (anatomy), he or she gains a +1 bonus to Heal checks. This bonus increases by +1 for every two ranks beyond 5 (+2 at 7 ranks, +3 at nine ranks, and so on).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  12:23:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  13:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. The last part wasn't changed, but that wasn't where the issue was.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, by the way. There are a lot of feats and such in there; I'm going to have some fun with them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:05:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to check the site again at the end of this month. I only just found out that they will be updating the files for 3.5e, and including feats and skills from accessories published since April 2003.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll do that. I already bookmarked it, just in case.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:14:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC will be updating the SRD as well, but that includes all aspects of D&D, not just skills and feats.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:17:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, I was looking over some feats a couple of minutes ago, when I noticed something I hadn't considered before. Why is the prerequisite to the Improved Trip feat, Int 13+, instead of Dexterity 13+?.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000