Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Realms Spelljamming -- Skull & Crossbows
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  18:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a scroll related to the one on the Complete Cloakmaster Cycle in the "Forgotten Realms Novels" section of Candlekeep.

As I indicated there, the TSR Spelljammer adventure collection, 9286 (SJA2) Skull & Crossbows is as close as TSR came to making a Cloakmaster adventure path. The book has quite a few references to the Forgotten Realms and Realmspace (among other crystal spheres -- called "shells" for some unexplained reason), and I have a couple of questions about it which I hope that the scribes here can answer with relative ease.

First, two adventures referenced "octons," octagonal copper coins from an old-timey civilization which once existed in the Tears of Selune. If anyone knows more about that civilization, would they please share their knowledge with us?

The second question which springs to mind is from the adventure "Outpost." Without dropping any spoilers, suffice it to say that there is someone in the adventure who wants to get back to Realmspace as soon as possible. Does anyone have any information on how that individual wound up there and what became of the rest of the individual's crewmates (aside from winding up as dragon chow)? Assistance will be gratefully appreciated!

I accidentally wound up with two copies of this, and I'm willing to sell one or swap it for something which I don't have (Krynnspace, maybe), but let's discuss that on the other scroll and leave this for the Cloakmaster books.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  18:39:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been so long since I read this module that I don't recall a thing about it... And I've not yet replaced my Spelljammer stuff.

Trust me, though, you don't want Krynnspace. I blame that and The Astromundi Cluster for killing the setting. Krynnspace not only had horrible original material (gods using planets as crystal balls? A 6"-tall superstrong flying gnome called "Little Biggnome"?), but it ignored some established DL canon material -- like the description of Krynn's three moons each being at the points of an equilateral triangle, remaining constantly equidistant from each other...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  19:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's been so long since I read this module that I don't recall a thing about it... And I've not yet replaced my Spelljammer stuff.

Trust me, though, you don't want Krynnspace. I blame that and The Astromundi Cluster for killing the setting. Krynnspace not only had horrible original material (gods using planets as crystal balls? A 6"-tall superstrong flying gnome called "Little Biggnome"?), but it ignored some established DL canon material -- like the description of Krynn's three moons each being at the points of an equilateral triangle, remaining constantly equidistant from each other...

WELL! I had read on Amazon.com a couple of years ago that Krynnspace was bad, but I hadn't suspected.... Brrr! For anyone unfamiliar with it, however, I heartily endorse Realmspace, by "slade" Henson. It has some fabulous Realmslore not repeated elsewhere (and a detailed description of Elminster's hideout in outer space, too). Simply as a matter of personal taste I cannot endorse Greyspace as highly, but that, too, contains a bit of Realmslore; I suppose that fans of Oerth are fully as pleased with it as I am with Realmspace, though. (There are a few things in the outer orbits of Greyspace which I would like to investigate!)

Apropos of the latter book, I must ask: does anyone know the name of the Giant Space Hamster who (apparently) survived The-Unfortunate-Event-of-a-Few-Years-Ago on Spectre?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  21:28:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to add Under the Dark Fist to the list of things that had a hand in killing the setting. All of the sudden this Wildspace warlord has a fleet capable of taking over multiple crystal spheres, and not only does the Elven Imperial Navy not manage to see the threat, but none of the local gods or powers that be do anything about him before he gets to this point.

And on top of that, by this point in the history of the line, we seem to have forgotten that the Phlogiston doesn't always flow the same way to various Crystal Spheres, so we just assume that people can zip back and forth between Krynn and Toril and Oerth and wherever else, completely ignoring that whole "where can you sail to and where can't you" chart in the boxed set.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  21:54:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd have to add Under the Dark Fist to the list of things that had a hand in killing the setting. All of the sudden this Wildspace warlord has a fleet capable of taking over multiple crystal spheres, and not only does the Elven Imperial Navy not manage to see the threat, but none of the local gods or powers that be do anything about him before he gets to this point.

I did like some aspects of the Vodoni, particularly a couple of their ships, but the 12-sphere empire thing was a bit ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  23:43:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't immediately recall octons [or the civilisation responsible for using them] being mentioned elsewhere in the Realmslore.

As for worthwhile lore on Krynnspace, I would recommend the unofficial guide to 3e Krynnspace by Trampas "DragonHelm" Whiteman.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  00:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't immediately recall octons [or the civilisation responsible for using them] being mentioned elsewhere in the Realmslore.

As for worthwhile lore on Krynnspace, I would recommend the unofficial guide to 3e Krynnspace by Trampas "DragonHelm" Whiteman.

Beyond the Moons also has pretty good info on Realmspace, but I do not know how it compares to the Realmspace product.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 12 Jan 2008 00:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  03:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

This is a scroll related to the one on the Complete Cloakmaster Cycle in the "Forgotten Realms Novels" section of Candlekeep.

As I indicated there, the TSR Spelljammer adventure collection, 9286 (SJA2) Skull & Crossbows is as close as TSR came to making a Cloakmaster adventure path. The book has quite a few references to the Forgotten Realms and Realmspace (among other crystal spheres -- called "shells" for some unexplained reason), and I have a couple of questions about it which I hope that the scribes here can answer with relative ease.

First, two adventures referenced "octons," octagonal copper coins from an old-timey civilization which once existed in the Tears of Selune. If anyone knows more about that civilization, would they please share their knowledge with us?

The second question which springs to mind is from the adventure "Outpost." Without dropping any spoilers, suffice it to say that there is someone in the adventure who wants to get back to Realmspace as soon as possible. Does anyone have any information on how that individual wound up there and what became of the rest of the individual's crewmates (aside from winding up as dragon chow)? Assistance will be gratefully appreciated!

I accidentally wound up with two copies of this, and I'm willing to sell one or swap it for something which I don't have (Krynnspace, maybe), but let's discuss that on the other scroll and leave this for the Cloakmaster books.

Wow. My first professional work as an editor....flashbacks.....

I'll have to go back and check my copy to see whom you're referring to (the non-dragon chow guy), but I might have an answer for ye eventually....

SES
who remembered a few stories about that module he can't share with the public....but they make him chuckle most evilly....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  03:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Agh! So many goodfolk to whom to reply at the same time!

O Sage: I have just visited the Spelljammer.org page for Krynnspace, and I downloaded Dragonhelm's Guide to Krynnspace, but have only had a chance to skim it quickly. Many thanks, as always.

Wooly: what was the deal with the deity using planets as scrying stones? Who was using what? I find that idea rather amusing, actually. (By the way, did the dingus arrive?)

Steven: Skull & Crossbows was an event whose shadow was cast ... er ... a shadow whose existence ... ah ... oh, dark! ... it was a Hellsuva good first try and you've proceeded from strength to strength since then.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  02:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must ask again: does anyone know the name of the Giant Space Hamster who (apparently) survived The-Unfortunate-Event-of-a-Few-Years-Ago on Spectre?

Did Steven or anyone else find the 4-1-1 on those copper "octons"?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  04:27:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I must ask again: does anyone know the name of the Giant Space Hamster who (apparently) survived The-Unfortunate-Event-of-a-Few-Years-Ago on Spectre?

I saw no names in the description of Spectre... I also noted the absence of information about the guy in the Outpost; I suspect he is just a MacGuffin, but you can add any story to him you want.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Jul 2008 04:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  09:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh yes.. astromundi with their 300 billion mindflayers...
Basically requiring 1,8 trillion brains a year.. a bit more than there are sentinents in the whole overpopulated sphere.

If one begins by slashing all populations by a factor of 10.000, continues by slashing mindflayers by another 2-3 orders of magnitude, establishes the sentinent fungi thing they ate at spelljammer and think thru the whole arcane race once more. Then, maybe then..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000