Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of War: "Continuum"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  06:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Thank you. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the story.

People probably tell you all the time, but I have enjoyed all of your work I've thusfar laid eyes on. I have the Erevis Cale Trilogy on my online wishlist thanks to your contributions to the Sembia series. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite between Shadow's Witness and Black Wolf.
quote:
AS for whether the child is god-touched, I have to sidestep the question for now.

I'll ask no more, as I'm not yet decided on reading more of The Twilight War. Have to read the trilogy first...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

[quote]I have the Erevis Cale Trilogy on my online wishlist thanks to your contributions to the Sembia series. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite between Shadow's Witness and Black Wolf

Black Wolf is a wonderful novel. Dave is a great writer and a great editor.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Cale Trilogy when you get to it, and the Twilight War after that (should you choose to go on).

Thanks again,

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG it blew my mind I want to read Shadowrealm so bad I'm just about in love with paul s kemp these days. This short story was amazing. The part I love most is when he says to his mother what was your wish and she says to be the instrument of your down fall. It was just so artfully written it makes you want to invest in his characters because he gives them so much depth.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  19:36:51  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

OMG it blew my mind I want to read Shadowrealm so bad I'm just about in love with paul s kemp these days. This short story was amazing. The part I love most is when he says to his mother what was your wish and she says to be the instrument of your down fall. It was just so artfully written it makes you want to invest in his characters because he gives them so much depth.

Thank you, Stout Heart. I'm truly pleased that you enjoyed the story.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  06:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll never forget that line of Mask's: "Just fiddling about the edges...."

Mask as Uncle Ernie? 'fiddling aah-ahh-bout....'

:)

I've told Mr Kemp this before, and I'll say it again: Continuum is just an incredible, chilling story.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  21:46:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul:

after finishing Shadowrealm I started re-reading everything about Erevis from Halls of Stromweather on.

Now that I read Continuum again I get truly excited especially since you anounced the Cycle of Night Trilogy.

Continuum is a masterpiece and shows the love for details and atmosphere that I know from your writing. The story has a slower pace which allows you this level of detail while Shadowrealm was so epic, that you obviously had to write a little bit more macro.
Brennus... Rivalen and his mother... and also the beginning of Varra's part: simply great!

Now the really interesting thing is this:

It took me a second to understand, that the perishing of the flowers around Varra was due to the wish granted to her. Rivalen mentioned this feature in the beginning when beeing on the same site with his mother so the connection needed a brief moment to sink in.
So if a wish granted implies some of the flowers die... then I am really eager to see in you next trilogy, how Rivalen's mother's last wish to be part of his downfall will be granted, as apparently it worked (flowers died)!

Maybe it is already fulfilled with Brennus' finding her artifact, but as he ultimately does not turn against his brother, there may be more to come!?

Would also be intersting to know, how Mask managed to shift Varra in time, if the meadow's magic was elven and thus the magic's design not his part. Varra's wish could also have been executed in a different way but the timeshift that is convenient for Mask.
Will you provide background on this in the next trilogy?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  00:32:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read it after reading the entire trilogy. I feel it's so short a story. I want to 'see' Telamont's reaction upon learning his wife's death.

Maybe if I read it prior to Shadowrealm, I would have appreciated it more.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:38:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Funny how rereading makes one feel. Reread this last night, and I actually liked it the second time around. I really feel sorry for Alashar. How devastating it must have been to be slain by your own son [save perhaps if you're a Greek god---matricide and patricide would have been...sort of expected].

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  12:11:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reread this short story myself recently. I thought Rivalens actions were callous beyond belief but it was an act that one could easily believe him capable of. I was intrigued by her last wish about being the cause of his downfall and with Brennus discovering the ring one can see a chain of events that might very well lead to it. A well written and poignant story.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000