Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Peasants Throwing Scythes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  18:10:51  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For my new campaign I'm introducing a number of Chauntean rituals, based on those of medieval European peasants. These were pagan in origin and some continued into the 20th Century in rural areas (such as my home county of Suffolk in England).

Harvest was a communal activity; peasants moved from one field to another, healping each other out. In a field of grain the 'spirit of the grain' was thought to be driven deeper and deeper into the centre of the field as the stalks were cut. It would be bad luck for any one person to cut the last stand of grain and therefore 'kill' the grain spirit. So all the harvesters stood around the last stand and hurled scythes at it until the stand was cut. (Those involved would have to be fairly skilled at this to avoid serious injury.) The straw from this last stand was used to manke the corn dolly which might be hung in the local church (temple of Chauntea in my case) or over the hearth in the hoses of yeoman farmers/minor nobility. This was thought to bring fertility for the coming year. Traditional shapes included; a fertile looking woman and a horn of plenty.

Having a scythe thrown at them by an irate peasant could prove quite a surprise to arrogant adventurers

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  18:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unless the peasant misses(-4 improvised weapon). lets hope the PC's are in a good mood.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  19:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL. This is funny, it reminds me of the Peasant Defender class that I created. Maybe someday I will get around to building a website to publish all of the 3.5e classes that I have created. I was going to, but then they went and announced 4e, and so I think that I will wait until I get a hold of the 4e SRD and then make 4e versions of my 3.5e classes and publish the versions together.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  05:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The straw from this last stand was used to make the corn dolly which might be hung in the local church (temple of Chauntea in my case) or over the hearth in the houses...

Wouldn't it be risky to hang dried corn stalks over your fireplace?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  12:52:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice piece of RL history! I really liked this info and it could very well be modified into a decent adventure, IMHO. I will most definitly fall back on this in one of my future advneutre plots. A Chaunteian cleric corrupted by some mystrious evil, driven mad or what not...

So thanks for sharing,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Jan 2008 12:54:53
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  15:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

quote:
The straw from this last stand was used to make the corn dolly which might be hung in the local church (temple of Chauntea in my case) or over the hearth in the houses...

Wouldn't it be risky to hang dried corn stalks over your fireplace?

I agree. That being said, this thread is pretty interesting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  17:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this thread is very interesting. I concur

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  06:00:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still find it hard to picture throwing scythes at a last stand. Those things are two handed and balance not centered at all. They would spin out more likely then cut a stalk of grain.

Of course design and style clearly could make throwing easier then the scythes I have seen and used. Clearly plows have changed over the years as a fact.

As for hanging over the hearth, stone is a good insulator depending on where actually hung it less a fire hazzard then cooking on the fire.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  09:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe people are thinking of sickles? They are used for a similar purpose, are small, one handed and you could probably throw one if you tried.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  16:57:57  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the interest in this thread.

The reference I used did say scythes, but people were often careless with terminology. Sickles does make more sense. It may be that any bladed agricultural implement that people had was used.

I didn't mean that the corn dolly was actually hung over the fire In medieval England, by the time yeoman farmers were coming along, fireplaces had been invented. I merely meant in a prominent place.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  19:15:15  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As there has been some interest in this thread - for which many thanks - I thought I'd talk about another Chauntean festival.

In the Winter Solstice Festival on Nightal 20 (22nd December real world), a number of dancers - the position was often hereditary - (real-world 'mummers') perform a sword dance with either wooden swords or swords with holes at the top decorated with ribbons. There are a number of regional variations of the dance during which one or more of the dancers will wiffle which may be complex sword movements in the air or the cutting of weeds symbolic of Chauntea's as well as winter's 'victory' over wild nature.

At some point the dancers pretend to behead Chauntea, played by the Priestess, who rises again later in the dance to symbolise her victory over winter.

Before and after the dance (and probably during) there is much hilarity and consumption of alcohol. The celebrations would end with a feast; and more alcohol. Bonfires optional!

(The real-world version of this involves the beheading of Jack-in-the-Green. Often a hobby-horse and a 'maiden' played by a boy were involved, with much lewd comicality! A roast boar's head was a traditional dish at the feast, as was roast goose stuffed with dried fruits.)

Please note, the sword moves used in whiffling are purely cermonial and handed down from antiquity. The average practitioner would have no idea about real swordfighting. The metal swords would be rebated (unsharpened) to avoid really beheading the Priestess or other accidents; particularly as most of the participants would be more or less drunk

Edited by - arry on 10 Jan 2008 19:21:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  20:28:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

In the Winter Solstice Festival on Nightal 20 (22nd December real world),

I like your festival, but I have a minor quibble... Setting January 1 and Hammer 1 on the same day, Nightal 20 would be December 21st. I prefer to use January and Hammer to match up the calendars, because it makes sense, and because the equinox and solstice days in the real world tend to shift about a bit.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  21:22:10  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the date from FRCS where it says that winter solstice is Nightal 20.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  23:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would call it something other than "the Winter Solstice Festival". Give it a more unusual, Realmsian name.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Jan 2008 23:24:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  00:16:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I took the date from FRCS where it says that winter solstice is Nightal 20.

Well, as I said, the real world solstice tends to wander. Last year, it was the 22nd of December. This year, it will be on the 21st. Since the date does vary from year to year, it's not a reliable point to use to line up the calendars. I stick with the Hammer 1 = January 1 thing to line them up, especially since the months on the calendar of Harptos are said to roughly correspond with the months of the Gregorian calendar. That's also from the FRCS (and the 2E FRCS, and I believe the 1E FRCS, as well).

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  01:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Throwing mêlée weapons, especially swords, is a hallmark of bad movies, methinks.
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  02:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Throwing mêlée weapons, especially swords, is a hallmark of bad movies, methinks.

Ed includes a lot of sword and other melee weapon throwing in his novels/stories cf. Crown of Fire, Making of a Mage (and I think A Slow Day in Skullport).

My only gripe is that the "baddies" never seem to be able to pull off similar moves themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  17:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and the bonfire might be started with more alchohol!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  17:50:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At some point the dancers pretend to behead Chauntea, played by the Priestess, who rises again later in the dance to symbolise her victory over winter.

Thanks for the two rituals - am wondering if the second one is more suited to Lathander than Chauntea?

Being reborn, rebirth of spring over the winters dark etc

Just a thought.

As an aside I too have used various UK holiday events as colour when I run a fair/market day (cheese rolling, bottle kicking, horseshoe throwing and gurning), and of course the lliran whitescarves (morris men)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  14:53:00  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@crazedadventurer
Having the second ritual being one of Lathander's is quite conceivable. I didn't think of it

@Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Any ideas for a 'Realmsian' name gratefully accepted.

BTW does anyone know if the Realmsian New Year starts on 1st Hammer or on Greengrass the beginning of Spring? In Medieval England it used to start on 25th March (Lady Day), as borrowed by Tolkein.

On to another festival.
The first day of the first full week of Hammer (January real-world) is Plough Day. [Or possibly the first day that the villagers are capable of doing anything on after the Solstice Celebration hangovers.] Ploughs are blessed by the Priestess and there is a plough race to begin the cultivation of the land.

Bear in mind that a medieval plough-boy's job was pretty hard. Boy has nothing to do with age, as soon as someone had started to learn the plough they were not permitted to take up any other profession as it was such a skilled job and vital to the community. They would always plough bare-foot, regardless of the weather, as footware would become too clogged with mud to be able to walk. Cold wet feet, cold wet hands and bullocks farting at you. On Plough Day they were permitted to beg from door to door (their wages being so bad) and plough up the doorstep of any who refused them.

Plough Day was used in some villages as another excuse for drinking, sword-dancing and more drinking. Oh, and did I mention the drinking?
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  21:51:35  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of Greengrass (early May) is the 'Blessing of the First Fruit'. This covers blessing crops that are just coming up as well as early fruits like gooseberry. (Are there gooseberries in the Realms BTW?)

At the end of Mirtul (May) the last two days are Fun and Fertility Ceremonies for young people. On the penultimate day young women lie in wait to leap out at men and demand a kiss, a gift or a forfeit. On the last day of Mirtul (May) it's the other way around with the young men doing the lurking. (In the real world this was called Hocktide)

Next a series of harvesting customs. Near the beginning of Flamerule (July) is the start of the bean harvest. Beans are cut from the bottom of the plants because that can double the yield. Drinking, singing, drinking, feasting & singing. Beans cooked in butter eaten with cold rabbit.

First day of Eliasis (August). Feast to celebrate that harvest is just about to begin. Any dried foot from last year used up. Lots of peas pottage, drinking, farting etc.

End of Eliasis (August). Finish of main harvest, blessing of the gathered crops; feast, drink, fair, feast, drink.

14th Eleint (September). Nutting day. Traditional day when young people go nutting and older young people gather very few nuts and the wedding generally needs to be arranged before Spring.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  23:12:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@crazedadventurer
Having the second ritual being one of Lathander's is quite conceivable. I didn't think of it

@Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Any ideas for a 'Realmsian' name gratefully accepted.

BTW does anyone know if the Realmsian New Year starts on 1st Hammer or on Greengrass the beginning of Spring? In Medieval England it used to start on 25th March (Lady Day), as borrowed by Tolkein.

On to another festival.
The first day of the first full week of Hammer (January real-world) is Plough Day. [Or possibly the first day that the villagers are capable of doing anything on after the Solstice Celebration hangovers.] Ploughs are blessed by the Priestess and there is a plough race to begin the cultivation of the land.

Bear in mind that a medieval plough-boy's job was pretty hard. Boy has nothing to do with age, as soon as someone had started to learn the plough they were not permitted to take up any other profession as it was such a skilled job and vital to the community. They would always plough bare-foot, regardless of the weather, as footware would become too clogged with mud to be able to walk. Cold wet feet, cold wet hands and bullocks farting at you. On Plough Day they were permitted to beg from door to door (their wages being so bad) and plough up the doorstep of any who refused them.

Plough Day was used in some villages as another excuse for drinking, sword-dancing and more drinking. Oh, and did I mention the drinking?

The months have always been listed with Hammer being first, so I'd say that Hammer 1 is the first day of the year.

About your Plough Day festival... Hammer 1 is going to be the middle of the winter. Plowing thru possibly frozen ground is going to be very tough, and kinda pointless, since you can't plant much then, anyway. Moving it later in the year would make more sense.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  23:32:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This covers blessing crops that are just coming up as well as early fruits like gooseberry. (Are there gooseberries in the Realms BTW?)
Yes, there are gooseberries in the Realms.

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue notes gooseberry jam for sale.

The Falcon's Leaning Watchpost, a bakery by day and tavern by night in Irl, is noted for it's gooseberry tarts.

The Moonstone Mask, in Neverwinter, also serves gooseberry tarts.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  11:53:40  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage. Thank you. I can't find my Aurora's Catalogue, I think my son's taken it to University

@Wooly Rupert. If the ground is actually frozen then the ploughing would be put off until it was possible. In Medieval England it was called 'Plough Monday' and was celebrated on the first Monday of January. Snow was often called 'poor man's fertilizer' as ploughing it in did increase crop yields. I imagine due to the dust grains carrying minerals.

Ploughing had to be started as soon as possible for the early crops; and the medieval plough didn't go anywhere nearly as deep as our modern ploughs do. The coulter was straight not rolling. However it was very difficult to do, the medieval ploughmans life was very hard. The average life expectancy of a peasant was about 40 in medieval Europe. I know that things are somewhat better in the Realms, but life is still hard.

Edited by - arry on 18 Jan 2008 11:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  14:04:39  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice rituals, much more than our carnival here in my hometown – something to get rid of winter, like scaring him away. The only thing I noticed – there seems to be not much of “blessing-rituals”. I think that the peasants would have been eager for getting their tools, their fields, their animals blessed with holy water, processions and such things. It’s just a hunch – but maybe you like the idea
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  15:08:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

I think that the peasants would have been eager for getting their tools, their fields, their animals blessed with holy water, processions and such things. It’s just a hunch – but maybe you like the idea

I agree thats what priests of Chauntea and Lathander are for, to bless fields and cows and new endeavours at the beginning of spring to ensure a good bounty in the months ahead.

Its a shame that the various 'increase bounty yields' prayers haven't seen the light of day.

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:08:18  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Nice rituals, much more than our carnival here in my hometown – something to get rid of winter, like scaring him away. The only thing I noticed – there seems to be not much of “blessing-rituals”. I think that the peasants would have been eager for getting their tools, their fields, their animals blessed with holy water, processions and such things. It’s just a hunch – but maybe you like the idea

Very much!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000