Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Apparent error on the Roll of Years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2023 :  18:54:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still mildly disappointed that we never got (will get?) a Year of Lost Wizards in the future from which my wild mage could be inadvertently and spectacularly ejected.

I wonder if parallel Realms-Primes with variations in events might have variations in their prophesied names for the Roll of Years ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2023 :  05:18:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Variant local names are definitely a thing. If your wild mage is likely to turn out to be a "big thing" in wherever he is from, then that local area may indeed have 1496 DR as the Year of Lost Wizards, as prophesied by Golaura "the Hagwitch" in the years following the raising of the Standing Stone, etc. etc.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2023 :  01:32:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've realized that 301 DR bothers me. The "Year of Argent Cape". That's just grammatically nonsensical. I'm tempted to make it the Year of the Argent Cape.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2023 :  03:08:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've realized that 301 DR bothers me. The "Year of Argent Cape". That's just grammatically nonsensical. I'm tempted to make it the Year of the Argent Cape.

-- George Krashos

Hey, Argent Cape was, despite his name, quite the remarkable person! Why do you think he got a year named after him?

Sadly, the Capes family died out after its last scion, Verdant Cape, died fighting a mob of angry linguists.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2023 :  05:30:29  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we sure it wasn't supposed to be Argent Canapé?

(or change it to Year of Argent Capes instead, if you want to get poetic about wave crests and maritime-related events edit: or heavy regional snowfalls)

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 12 Nov 2023 05:34:51
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  01:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

How do you know that year name wasn't linked to a serious pileup of ships (due to a storm) upon a particular cape/peninsula and all the spilled silver coinage in and out of the water led to that name?

Steven
who likes to both rationalize his year names and go to bat for them whether seeming errors or not…

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000