Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  15:51:36  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
My guess is it has to be do the difference between project you promise to work on, and those you actually deliver.
Ed may be working on a project, but when it sees the light may be undecided. If yoy say: we are working on this thing about Larloch, and then it takes 5 years to be released (if it isn't pulled at some point), then that would probably not be good PR.
There may also be other issues, such as the risk of people mass-generating ideas on the item you work on, only to later claim that WotC stole their ideas for their products. Sounds stupid, but these things actually do happen.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  16:59:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Ack! Gomez's line of thought triggered my own. And I'm speaking of personal experience, but it is just an Opinion, and not fact.

Another thing that happens when NDA's and 'Project Secrecy' tends to happen is when the company is at a crossroads and not sure about the direction it may be going in. In my case, my former employers were terrific at this. We'd be working on something, but wouldn't hear any news regarding our work and find out that it's because they weren't sure if they were going to let us finish it.

Gah! I hate this pessimism I've fallen under. Hopefully, I'm incredibly wrong here.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  18:42:06  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Scrolls shared, Scribes:

A quick follow up on my previous Sessrendale question. Okay, spells
prohibit the restoration of the land by Nature Elemental. Would grass
at least come back and the salt be taken out of the land if it were to
pass?

Way back in Dragon ?, when you were discussing the Hells, you mentioned
a duke-in-exile Armaros "the Resolver of Enchantments". May I have much more
on this duke? I want him to be a power behind the throne guy in my stories I
start working on.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  20:36:22  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Astounding alliterations, althen arten!

But seriously.

Is there any insight you can offer in regards to the change in the afterlife between the 3.5 and 4th edition? Specifically, the afterlife of those souls who would be qualified as faithless or false upon death.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Learned Scribe

97 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Don't know if Ed can or even wants to answer this one, but WHY does a game company feel like it needs to be run like the CIA?

Will a terrorist attack happen somewhere if Ed tells us what he is working on?

I just don't understand... it's just a friggin' game, after all.

I can buy the secrecy if they were producing microchips, or some type of 64-bit software encryption, but are they afraid someone else might steal their idea... about Elves?

NDA's I understand to a point (although I think they have gone overboard with them), but this 'secret projects' thing strikes me odd, because most companies LOVE to shout from the mountaintops all the "cool new stuff" they are working on.

Agreed. If find it rather "odd"....
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Markus, its to generate hype, nothing more. Telling people they are working on a secret project allows fanboys to discuss a whole load of possible opportunities, meaning more people are able to come up with ideas, however outlandish. Saying that Ed is working on, lets say, a sourcebook on Zakhara, instantly cuts out a lot of potential interest.

Further, it allows for them to change or just cancel the project without too much PR hassle. Lets say Blizzard said they were working on a secret project, then announced that due to unforeseen circumstances, it had to be cancelled. Sure, people are upset, but imagine how much more upset people would be if they had announced they were working on World of Warcraft 2, then had to change/cancel the project.

Edited by - Uzzy on 29 Nov 2008 23:26:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  00:10:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay folks, we seem to be deviating somewhat into various side-discussions. Let's remember this is Ed's scroll. If you feel the need to further elaborate on points brought up by other scribes previously, please open a new scroll elsewhere.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  00:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Darkhund
I just seem to recall in...it could be one of the Shandril Saga books, Elminster gave her a spell to cast on Manshoon, and the reactions just seemed to me to not fit a spellcaster at all.

Storm isn't shown as an able and learned sorceress in "Elminster at the Magefair" . . .

Edited by - Faraer on 30 Nov 2008 01:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13557 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  04:42:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sorry, didn't meant to start a discussion, and I've thought of many of the same things other scribes have said, but I was just hoping to hear Ed's own reasoning for all the 'hush-hush' type stuff.

Or should we just start calling Ed '007' - licensed to kibitz

Edit: Forget I even asked - that was a really stupid question, and doesn't really pertain to Realmslore or anything else created by Ed.
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Saying that Ed is working on, lets say, a sourcebook on Zakhara, instantly cuts out a lot of potential interest.
So Ed's working on Zakhara, huh?

(This is how rumours start)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2008 19:37:41
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  16:20:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Question to Ed but Hooded Lady chime in if you have knowledge of it as well, have animals, familiars, animal companions ever been raised in your games? Would a deity allow its divine energy to wasted on such an animal? More importantly, if answer is no, would this be common knowledge across Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2882 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  05:18:25  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Hey, all. I mistakenly asked Krash a query, thinking that he had been the creator of something, but I was mistaken, and pointed me in the proper direction. Srindym, an Elven poison mentioned in one of the vignettes of Elminster in Hell...Can you share more about this, lore-wise, if anything exists. I'm mainly interested in how it's made (as in, the who, what, when's, and so on), and it's prevalence. Going by his description in that ill-fated DRAGON article, "An iridescent, silver liquid, this poison was created by the eladrin millennia ago and often used by less principled individuals of that race against 'lesser' races", it sounds like something the Eldreth Veluuthra would use. Before I make anything up, however, I'd like to go straight to the source.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  10:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkhund
I just seem to recall in...it could be one of the Shandril Saga books, Elminster gave her a spell to cast on Manshoon, and the reactions just seemed to me to not fit a spellcaster at all.

Storm isn't shown as an able and learned sorceress in "Elminster at the Magefair" . . .

Didn't "Elminster at the Magefair" happen a good number of years before the Shandril Saga? I can't recall.

My memory's a little fuzzy on that scene in Shandril's Saga, but IIRC, Elminster first cast some sort of boosting enchantment on Storm to allow her a one-time casting of a more powerful spell. Elminster then nullified Manshoon's shields which allowed Storm to hit him successfully.

If I were to go hunting through old rulebooks, and based on Manshoon's reaction, I'd guess he was hit with either Khelben's Dweomerdoom, or Gunther's Kaleidoscopic Strike, as both drain a spellcaster of multiple memorized spells. Maybe Ed could shine some light on that whole scene.

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  14:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,
I am sorry if I repeat a question I made a few months ago but I'm afraid it must have been lost.
It's a really important question for us who are playing in this online game set in Baldur's Gate.
As far as I know, the dukes are part of the Lords' Alliance but should be one of the less strict rulers considering they host a Thayan enclave.
I think it also means they wouldn't do anything to harm the enclave, as we know that breaking a signed contract would lead to many troubles.
Why would the dukes bother the Thayans when they admitted them in the first place?
Thsi is exactly what happens in our online persistant world and I believe it is a misinterpretation of the handbook.
Can you confirm that the dukes have nothing against the Thayan enclave and how it si generally perceived by the local people?
It is really importanto for us. Being a persistant world online we're hundreds of players and we're all waiting for this answer that will be much aprpeciated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  16:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Hello THO and Ed,
I am sorry if I repeat a question I made a few months ago but I'm afraid it must have been lost.

Nope, not lost. Pay particular attention to the part I bolded:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up. Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law). All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think). And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  20:19:34  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Just out of curiousity (and with a full understanding of how busy Ed is), what's the longest it's ever taken to answer a question on one of these threads? Have any gone more than a year?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  20:27:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Just out of curiousity (and with a full understanding of how busy Ed is), what's the longest it's ever taken to answer a question on one of these threads? Have any gone more than a year?

Indeed. I think some have been answered more than 2 years later, and I know some of my oldest questions have not yet been answered. In fact, I don't even recall all the questions I've asked!

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  20:34:19  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Indeed. I think some have been answered more than 2 years later, and I know some of my oldest questions have not yet been answered. In fact, I don't even recall all the questions I've asked!

Wow! Well, I've only asked one (other than this). I wish there was some way to be notified when you do get an answer... it's daunting to think about reading through every page in this thread for the next 2 years looking for that one answer...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  21:46:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow! Well, I've only asked one (other than this). I wish there was some way to be notified when you do get an answer... it's daunting to think about reading through every page in this thread for the next 2 years looking for that one answer...

So don't read it for that one answer. I keep reading because a lot of the answers are interesting, even if they don't pertain to anything I've even pondered, much less asked about.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
I think I still have a question or two or more that are way back from the original thread about three years ago. :) Which, I also forgot what they were about. :) I think one's about a ritual for Sehanine that I once needed for a campaign I was running but I'd still like an answer. :)

quote:

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  23:12:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Scrolls shared, Scribes:

A quick follow up on my previous Sessrendale question. Okay, spells
prohibit the restoration of the land by Nature Elemental. Would grass
at least come back and the salt be taken out of the land if it were to
pass?

Way back in Dragon ?, when you were discussing the Hells, you mentioned
a duke-in-exile Armaros "the Resolver of Enchantments". May I have much more
on this duke? I want him to be a power behind the throne guy in my stories I
start working on.

Eric Boyd wrote a very interesting FR adventure for Dungeon in the last days of that mag which featured Armaros rather cleverly. Alas, it will never see the light of day.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  23:33:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Hello THO and Ed,
Marek, you and I have been over this before, several times. Please heed the words of THO as Wooly quoted above.

Your questions are never missed. It's always good practice to scroll back through the pages of this scroll just to make sure you haven't missed any important details regarding your question during times you're not active here at Candlekeep.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2008 23:46:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  23:37:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Well, during my efforts to compile most of this year's worth of replies, I do recall one or two being answered that were originally asked back in '05. [And I know I've got a couple from that year and before that are still on Ed's "To-Answer" list ]

It's important to note though, that while a question may have been asked quite some time go, Ed's focus on many of the aspects of Realmslore may eventually mean that your question deals with subject matter that could potentially fall under a future NDA. In which case, it may not fully receive the kind of attention from Ed that it would have earlier. But Ed has always noted when this is the case with older [1-to-2-year] questions.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2008 23:46:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  23:44:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I think I still have a question or two or more that are way back from the original thread about three years ago. :)
You mean four years ago [Feb. '04]. In fact, we'll have about five years worth of questions and answers from Ed in just two short months. Five years... my how time flies when the Realmslore comes directly from Ed.

And speaking of lingering questions from way back, I know I've got one or two lingering from that '04 scroll.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  04:18:39  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's important to note though, that while a question may have been asked quite some time go, Ed's focus on many of the aspects of Realmslore may eventually mean that your question deals with subject matter that could potentially fall under a future NDA. In which case, it may not fully receive the kind of attention from Ed that it would have earlier. But Ed has always noted when this is the case with older [1-to-2-year] questions.

You mean that when I asked the question, it might have been answerable, but later on it might become unanswerable? I don't think that would apply to mine, since mine was more "retrospective" (asking about Ed's intent when writing the Expedition to Undermountain adventure) rather than about forthcoming stuff.

Too bad there's not an "express lane" like in supermarkets... "Shoppers with 2 questions or less over here"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  04:45:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

You mean that when I asked the question, it might have been answerable, but later on it might become unanswerable?
Aye.
quote:
I don't think that would apply to mine, since mine was more "retrospective" (asking about Ed's intent when writing the Expedition to Undermountain adventure) rather than about forthcoming stuff.
True.

But my post above wasn't directly in response to you question. Rather, it was a note for all scribes asking questions [and who have asked questions which still remain unanswered] and those asked previously.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000